Any RT-AC66U_B1 owners here? Need a new router, and I think this is it

Any RT-AC66U_B1 owners here? Need a new router, and I think this is it

Attached: asus-rt-ac66u-original-imadf3btxezg4jqm.jpg (704x621, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/TP-Link-Archer-AC1200-Smart-Router/dp/B01IUDUJE0/
hagensieker.com/archerc5toc7/index.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

RT-AC68U here, I love it w/ Merlin firmware. Best router I've owned

I recommend the Merlin LTS fork.
It's more stable without the bloat.

No, get a UniFi AC so that you don't need to reboot every week

I've looked into ubiquity, but it seems like significantly more up front cost anyways. Not yet ready to spend hundreds on my shared basement apartment WiFi.

Thanks, I've been looking into this. Usually I use ddwrt or tomato, but Merlin seems to be the way to go for this device though. I'll look into the it's for some more

On a lot of the Ubiquiti hardware I've seen, making minor edits to the configuration requires a reboot.

On the other hand it's rock solid and they have actual support on the hardware.

>I've looked into ubiquity, but it seems like significantly more up front cost anyways.

That's because it doesn't overheat like the shitty asus you've posted, and also has a hardware team that will write you back in an hour if you submit a ticket

protip. every router asus makes overheats and needs to be rebooted constantly

Attached: .png (527x72, 3K)

Lol I reboot mine every two or three months and that's when there's an update.

Get a mesh router.

got the white version with Merlin. works perfectly.

yes (is this the same product as the AC1750? if its not, then I don't own it)
the range on the 5ghz band is way better than other 5ghz routers i've owned
out of the box, with no tweaks, the 5ghz band managed to facilitate my 100 mbps internet connection
in my experience, latency issues are rare, but they could be caused by my isp (so, the issues could be rare, to once in a blue moon)
the 5ghz band seems to work quite well for Steam in Home Streaming, but my steam controller was too garbage for me to tolerate long term testing
the default firmware works quite well, I have only needed to reboot it twice since buying it (like, 4 months ago).

Dunno what the actual name is but the modem/router/wireless ap my isp gave me is actually pretty good. no lockups/fuckups,etc for like a year now. one it replaced (died) lasted me for a long time and it was isp provided to.

I went from one of those to a Mikrotik RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT. The Mikrotik is better in every way. Better throughput, better signal penetration through my shitty house, and better administrative console.

Also costs less.

Attached: 1169_l.jpg (800x800, 30K)

That's an interesting box. I have only used one mikrotik router before, but the webUI admin panel showed a TON of stats like number of connected clients and their IPs, and let you download a preconfigured telnet connect script, all BEFORE you even logged in. Plus the admin panel was public facing. Not sure if the owner configured it to be that way, or if it came like that, but the experience soured me from buying mikrotik.

The owner did it. Out of the box it has a default username/password, but its literally one of the first things you're encouraged to change

Solid router, better when flashed to merlin for better features as previously stated. Never had issues on my AC68 when I had it. Longest uptime was probably 3 months before updating the firmware. If you live in the US you can get the TM-AC1900 from amazon which sometimes goes on sale for $40-50. It's a tmobile branded AC68 which you can flash merlin to.

Dont have to shit on the competition to make UBNT seem better. Maybe you're confusing it with the RT-N66U some of which did have overheating issues.

RouterOS is like arch in terms of setting up. As hardened or vulnerable as you want it to be, there is a wiki for learning how to use it, but it helps to know more than basic networking since it's commercial grade software technically without out of the box presets(except initial basic setup).

is merlin new? how come I'm just starting to hear about them compared to ddwrt and tomato?

My wrt54gs v1.0 started randomly resetting itself. Tried changing caps, cleaning the board, replaced psu, nothing helps.

I'll most likely replace it with Mikrotik.

Attached: 0000803_rb2011uias-2hnd-in.jpg (1200x800, 263K)

sad part about mikrotik is, that they are not developing openvpn anymore for routeros and on the other hand are violating GPL.

personally i seriously consider building my own linux router since most of devices on the market are trash.

Have old panasonic toughbook with passive cooling, draws some 8W@idle. Could use it for pfsense with additional ethernet expresscard but who knows what is really supported in pfsense and then I still need external ap, external switch will all the powerbricks, cabling and shit.

Merlin is just Asus router os + fixes and tweaks. Asus exclusive.

UDP openvpn should be included in routerosv7 supposedly. I think we'll see HL3 drop before v7 releases though.

I still have the A. But didn't hit cpu limits as far as I can tell. I however found out it isn't really better than a cheap Xiaomi 3g, unless you need the extra wired ports & are somehow opposed to using a gbit router / switch.

Attached: cover-xiaomi-router-3g.jpg (1000x555, 26K)

I have one. Interface is good, you have access to terminal OOB, has IPv6 and gets frequent software updates.

Mein negro

I have the T-Mobile version of this because it was only like $60 with a crazy good promotion. Don't even have T-mobile.

I was going to change it to some other firmware, but I never bothered because it's already rock-solid. My connection never goes down.

Keep lurking on slick deals and wait for the TM1900 refurbs to go on sale, if you're an american, just bought 2 at 48 bucks each. They can be flashed to an AC68u if you aren't a brainlet. Then you can use rmerlin which is the way to go.

Yeah those T-Mobile tm1900s periodically go on sale on amazon, and they're solid even on the shitty TM firmware.

Thanks seems like a great option, but not American.

I would definitely prefer to build my own, but good luck building something comparable for $100

So much this. I use the those as ap's since I use another Mikrotik as router. Mikrotik has absolutely amazing stuff for great prices while still being as stable as Cisco gear.

Really sucks to have to reboot so often.

There are also higher clocked version (AC1900P is the model name I think) of this router, or Verizon (or something) branded version that can be flashed for much cheaper. Might want to look into those.

Forgot my attachment.

Attached: Capture.png (960x315, 71K)

is this router worth?
amazon.com/TP-Link-Archer-AC1200-Smart-Router/dp/B01IUDUJE0/

Attached: 61Urp9MsmWL._SL1200_.jpg (1200x1200, 75K)

Does it support tomato/dd-wrt/openwrt/merlin?

I bought AC1750 today. Use it only as access point so I literally turned off all functionality so I can't tell you if it's good or bad, range is better than my old $30 router tho :)

Can someone explain to me what is the point of 900Mbps WiFi when there's only 100Mbps ethernet cable feeding the internet connection? Like you need that much throughput inside your local network?

Attached: 1438144605586.png (554x439, 146K)

I'm preparing an edgerouter lite and a unifi ap lr to replace the office's tp-link. I thought that the ap looked pretty mickey mouse and the fact an earlier edgerouter died from heat death put a bad taste in my mouth. Am I wrong to harbour such disdain for these pieces of hardware?

900Mbps for local may be excessive, but I am regularly hitting my local network limit streaming to multiple devices simultaneously, and sharing files from NAS.

Stay far far away from this piece of shit

Drops out when you torrent
Takes forever to reboot
Forgets it's own admin password

Your sounds broken or misconfigured desu.

Why not just use the Mikrotik APs?

Not bad for $35 + you can turn it into a C7 lol

>hagensieker.com/archerc5toc7/index.php

Ubiquity is usually solid hardware, if you're ok losing Unifi management, the eap225v3 is on sale for $50 today(amazon).

The 900 is theoretical and you need matching techs to achieve. It's just marketing of aggregate throughput 2.4+5 bands. It helps when living in densely populated areas tough where spectrum is overpopulated.

> Jow Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site

sage goes in every field.

This one has a 3x3 antenna while the cAP AC only has 2x2 on the 5Ghz chain.

> "sage-bombing" or announcing that you've saged a thread may result in a ban.

I own one, and I use a merlin fork with modded regional settings. It works like a charm and i've had it running for atleast half a year without any hiccups.

Not that I have alot of experience with different routers, but the one I am running works like a charm. Based from own experience I would definantly reccomend it.

Anyone try a pair of 86U with AIMesh? I need something for extended coverage because my router is at one of my home and the other end (and down a floor) gets spotty connection

Sorry AC68U (AC1900) not 86U

pfsense router + Unifi Ap and all your worries are gone

I have that router. I'm very happy with it.

I have a RT-AC68U for years and it's great. Stable, great features, sexy hardware. The only real downside I noticed is why I upgraded to gigabit internet a few weeks ago. It rarely makes it past 500Mbps, even fore devices wired directly via ethernet. If I plug my desktop into the modem directly, I get 945Mbps, which is pretty good compared to the 1000 theoretical. I just have my desktop and server directly connected to the modem, and my wifi stuff which isn't that important stays behind the router.

Great router. I own 5 of the T-Mobile version flashed to regular AC66's in fact. I use one as a wireless ethernet bridge and receive full speed with 1ms ping, another one as my main router, and a third one as an extender. The other 2 are at my lake house. I'm running John's fork instead of merlin because I feel the throughput is a bit better and it's more stable

Absolute patrician

I fell for the meme, I'm running a WRT3200ACM with dd-wrt. It's a fine router, and I'm able to get WiFi coverage on 2.4GHz and 5GHz without issue or extenders now.

Attached: 71aDRiXbDuL._SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x940, 73K)

>need to reboot every week
wut
last downtime was due to a firmware update btw

Attached: file.png (1083x404, 86K)

yup same here

Don't use wireless.

Attached: varg-vikernes.jpg (700x426, 70K)

>vargposting

Attached: 1482920410673[1].jpg (350x350, 40K)

Had my RT-N66U for almost seven years and never had to reboot except firmware updates and major config changes. It just werks. It’s the best router I’ve ever owned.

Attached: image.jpg (750x1039, 434K)

> when there's only 100Mbps ethernet cable feeding the internet connection?
Because everything inside your network should at least be gigabit.

Attached: image.jpg (703x911, 159K)

Meant for Not sure why it fucked up.

Are you running Merlin?

I got the RT-AC68U which is basically the same thing as the 66U_B1 supposedly, but with removable antennas and some other feature that I don't remember.

I does run a bit toasty out of the box, I got merlin running on mine and I love it, I did get the aftermarket usb fan running off the onboard USB2.0 for mine though.

USB3 has a drive connected for light NAS duty.

Attached: 68U.jpg (1509x1121, 417K)