Hello Jow Forums, my first ever visit here

Hello Jow Forums, my first ever visit here.
Was hoping for some opinions...

Is this trash ?

Attached: 20180329_204609.jpg (1536x2560, 1.16M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yg04GyhS3ss
youtube.com/watch?v=wlAtuxjw6ig
youtube.com/watch?v=6Gsw7Ad__oU
youtube.com/watch?v=Pj0zOnVRzvs
youtube.com/watch?v=09BaP7z7pCQ
gentoo.org
youtube.com/watch?v=kYNNJd9GEMQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sbRRj-17tYQ
lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56321&sid=bf1b9826809a39a28bf0cdedaf23017a
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dude, nice. Install gentoo on that!

regrettably,i have no clue what gentoo is

Attached: bababoo.jpg (161x161, 52K)

you're going to enjoy this board

Attached: 1465708298678.png (1920x1080, 935K)

woah,please do not post that here.why do you post such young women?

gotta tell ya, that doesn't explain much

The C64 is a lot better, but that's fine, as long you can get it to load shit.

is there much difference between this one

Attached: 20180329_212122.jpg (2560x1536, 932K)

...and this one ?
sorry for the shitty pics

Attached: 20180329_212127.jpg (2560x1536, 1014K)

Leave while you still can OP

Attached: 1521883933001.jpg (682x1024, 164K)

No, Vic-20s are good. Why don't you research it a bit?

i suppose i should. I bought them for 50 cents each at a flea market in the 90s. i guess at that time such stuff was laughable

Dude that is awesome!!! You need an 8bit OS like GEOS

but i have all this neat stuff i have to figure out what to do with.
sorry, that meme is wasted on me

Attached: 20171231_100732[1].jpg (2560x1536, 1.22M)

Send it to me user!

You could sell them for more now. Depending on your country they could be worth a bit. In Australia people apparently buy them for up to $200 each. At least according to ebay's completed listings. No sane person would pay that much for them, but you could try to trim some marks.

you like ? have the box and maybe 15 or so games

Attached: 20171231_100812[1].jpg (2560x1536, 1.27M)

>that keyboard
Throw that laptop away and get a x230 with a x220 keyboard user.

lol not a laptop, user...Odyssey 2 game console

Older and newer revision VIC-20s. I think the PSU plugs are different.

youtube.com/watch?v=yg04GyhS3ss

Come to LA!

I know, I'm just expressing my disgust at flat keyboards.

yes, they are different.
..and one boasts of being in color. only 2 differences i see.
but, i defer to you gentlemen, obviously

ah , yes, it isn't easy to work at all

You can get an SD2IEC to put programs on them but a VIC-20 needs a RAM expander cartridge to do anything useful and its games are Atari 2600 level, there's nothing like Defender of the Crown or Bard's Tale on there.

I don't think anyone would bother playing games on the Vic-20, they're very primitive. There are a lot of cool programs and demos made recently by hobbyists, though.

sounds interesting, maybe i'll look into that

The CPU is faster than the C64, this is actually an advantage for arcade games

youtube.com/watch?v=wlAtuxjw6ig

youtube.com/watch?v=6Gsw7Ad__oU

Note the difference in the framerate with Defender on the VIC-20 versus the C64.

I didn't think anyone would care about games from the 80s at all, including C64.

Dig Dug. The C64 version is a slug, although that's partially because it uses bitmap mode for who knows what reason.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pj0zOnVRzvs

youtube.com/watch?v=09BaP7z7pCQ

wow yes i can see the difference, thank you, user

If you can't figure out what to do with something, sell it.

Keep in mind that these might also have been made with an emulator set to PAL mode, NTSC would be a bit faster.

yeah, but i don't want to just give it away

Please don't disgrace the gentoo userbase.

It's contention between the CPU and the VIC-II that causes the C64 to run slowly. If you disable video output (commonly done by tape and disk fast loaders), the CPU will run about 20% faster.

gentoo.org
This is one of the most complicated Linux distros.

> complicated
No user, it is simple and minimalist. That's the appeal

Commodore produced 8k and 16k RAM expander carts, these will be relatively easy to find. Third party ones could go as high as 32k (although BASIC is limited to 28k max) and sometimes also had DIP switches to remap the RAM into different areas.

Attached: mfCkzZIUADRxQREBVteeChQ.jpg (225x169, 8K)

selling =/= giving it away

>I didn't think anyone would care about games from the 80s at all, including C64.

Attached: costanza.jpg (600x600, 34K)

Thank you, Jow Forums , this was quite informative, i will look into these further. Again, thank you for your time.

Next time go to sqg

what i mean is, if i do sell, i'd like to get what they're worth

It's a bit weird that kids are looking into old games, you must admit.

Especially useful if you can map the RAM into $A000 since that's where cartridge games normally go and you can load cart images into there to play them.

Get a zx spectrum +2

So here's what you do.

>get SD2IEC
>put cart images on it
>load into $A000 (just typing LOAD "game",8,1 should work)
>type SYS 64738
This will do a warm reboot and start the cartridge image running. If it's a 16k game, the second half usually goes in $2000. After loading the first half at $A000, load the second half and then SYS 64738.

$200 dollarydoos!, maybe back in 1980 but not now.

GEOS is actually pretty good. I did most of my early high school shit on a hand-me-down C64C and a Commodore printer. The damn thing was nearly ten years old at that point, but worked like a champ.

According to ebay people are paying that much.

If only it existed for the VIC-2...oh wait, it doesn't.

Most of Jow Forums knows jack shit about technology and is only here to shill for consumer tech companies and complain about vidya. Sorry to crush your hopes OP, but if you want to talk about actual technology, Jow Forums is not the place for you

Attached: sakurako_sip.png (390x630, 294K)

The OP appears to have an NTSC VIC-20 judging by the size of the screen border.

I suppose for getting anything useful done you'd want a PET, and for decent games you want the 64. The VIC-20 occupies a shitty middle-ground, but it is at least interesting as hobby computer for learning BASIC or some assembly.

youtube.com/watch?v=kYNNJd9GEMQ

Garden Wars is so ridiculously fucked up I love it.

>I suppose for getting anything useful done you'd want a PET, and for decent games you want the 64
Or fuck it, just use a C128 and get both.

Where did you get all this shit, yet you have no idea what it is?
Relative die or something?

Exactly. You can even run CP/M on it, for some reason.

A useless CP/M mode that actually runs slower than the C128's native mode.

VIC-20s are pretty much of a toy and can't do anything serious, but they're fun.

You're fortunate they're in working condition especially since the build quality on VIC-20s tended to not be that good--they were designed as a bottom-rung computer sold in department stores.

He should heat sink the VIC chip, they do get fairly hot.

youtube.com/watch?v=sbRRj-17tYQ

TIL lowering screen resolution makes your CPU faster.

The '64 ran at 320x200. The VIC was something weird and unholy like 176x184 - and more colours too, if I recall.

It's internal memory was also SRAM, rather than the DRAM used in the '64.

There's your performance improvement, right there.

Attached: 1522240581085.gif (320x253, 995K)

It has more to do with the C64's architecture--the VIC-II uses 16k of system RAM and anything within this window will be accessed slower than normal because . Anything not in the 16k window will be accessed at normal speed.

The VIC-20 also has the same amount of colors as the C64 (16) but is limited to 8 on screen at once.

>It's internal memory was also SRAM, rather than the DRAM used in the '64.

It is, but RAM expander cartridges could use either--since the cartridge slot has no provisions for RAM refresh, expanders with DRAM had to contain their own refresh circuit.

The internal RAM on the VIC-20 is ten 2114 SRAM chips, these are actually the VRAM. The later revision VIC-20 with the rainbow logo reduced the chip count to five with larger SRAMs.

>LCD display

Attached: 1406507570430.jpg (1000x1000, 282K)

The VIC with the rainbow is the later version, it uses the same plug as the C64

The vic has like 5k of ram, I doubt you could run any actual disk OS on that

Different PCB with a lower chip count and the keyboard is identical to the C64 while the older silver-badge VIC-20 has PET-style keycaps.

Up to 32k with RAM expansion.

I've got a silver label VIC with a c64 style keyboard but with tan function keys, I think only the earliest models had the PET style keycaps

Early C64s also often had orange VIC-20 function keys. When C64 production was initially starting up, there were plenty of surplus VIC-20 keyboards laying around so many of them were just used in C64s.

that's correct. there are three motherboard variations, and the first variation is most commonly seen only with PET-style keys. unless a user modified a VIC from that era, it's always going to have orange/tan function keys rather than gray

IIRC the newer VIC-20 PSU can be used with the C64 but C64 PSUs won't work on a VIC-20 because the latter's PCB has a higher power requirement.

Attached: 1470539700054.webm (480x270, 2.93M)

I've seen C64 PSUs work just fine with later VIC-20's on many occasions. Commodore intentionally made them use the same part.

Attached: 1510007539867.webm (480x270, 2.74M)

There was also a 3k expander which fills in a hole in the memory space between program and VRAM on an unexpanded VIC-20.

The VIC-20's memory map changes depending on whether you have a RAM expander or not. Without any expander, BASIC RAM starts at $400 and VRAM at $1E00. When an 8k or higher expander is used, VRAM is moved down to $1000 and BASIC RAM starts at $1200.

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x225, 12K)

Speaking of PSUs, I remember some of the early Commodores having a common issue where the PSU voltage went out of bounds and fried the board, so maybe OP should replace it with a modern one anyway.

That's a problem that plagues all C64 PSUs because they're a linear power supply rather than a switching one. The voltage regulator can go bad and cause the power levels to creep up, usually taking out some of the RAM because they're more sensitive to overvoltage than the other ICs in the computer.

If you have a C64 with bad RAM, the PSU is to blame most of the time.

I think you may even be able to use the SD2IEC on a PET if you had an IEC -> IEEE adapter.

lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56321&sid=bf1b9826809a39a28bf0cdedaf23017a

bump

No. It's awesome.

I've got a working PET 4032 I sometimes play with, so I'm biased. Do you have a floppy drive or tape drive for it? There are ones you can buy or make now that are pretty slick.

Was already covered in the thread. You can get an SD2IEC for the thing. Note that the vast majority of VIC-20 software is single load except for a few application programs.

I can't imagine trying to do word processing with 22 column text.