What's so special about MacOS?

Windowsfag here.
I've been distro-hopping lately to experiment around with different Linux systems just for the hell of it.

Can someone give me a /quick rundown/ of why would anyone use MacOS?

Does it actually have any benefits besides "muh minimalism"?
The gimmick of Windows is how much its' used, Linux is customizable and open source, what's MacOS's gimmick?

As in, why do people build hackintoshes, or even shell out $1,000+ just to use the operating system?

tldr; Why would I want to use MacOS?

Attached: MacOS-Sierra-Hands-On-0006.jpg (1500x938, 557K)

Apple Computers are really good at emulating windows, so you get a mac you get the best of both worlds

It’s like Linux, but it justwerks, has major developers supporting it, ships with the best WebKit, and has some niche pro tools(I use Ulysses for writing, Texpad for LaTeX and MultiMode for Morse core and I haven’t found better alternatives for any.

People use it so they can use popular proprietary software like Adobe and Microsoft's shit while having the versatility of Linux for programming.

But what's so good about a mac?
(I'm genuinely curious, never used one before.)
For now it looks to me like they're way too expensive.

i just installed macos on my pc and user let me tell you
its ok

macos is really lightweight and filled with functionality and good looking stuff

that's really about it
just imagine the perfect linux distro

Is it really that versatile/open?

I used to own a 4S, but that's more locked down than fucking Fort Knox.
Are their desktops/laptops the opposite of their phones?

in my experience it was really annoying to install third party programs, you have to go to the security center every time and hit this fucking padlock and enter your password. I don't know if you can disable it or not. it ghey

It's not open, it just has far better programming tools than Windows and has a decent terminal emulator that is compatible with GNU utilities and programs.

versatile? yes
open? well, ehh, it has some very locked down parts.

and yes, their os is much better than their phones.

i think i disabled it beacuse i've just gotta click on "open" when it asks me when i use something that i downloaded over some github website or anything else

^

Got it.
Well, thanks for the advice anons.

I'll try to get my hands on the system to try it out, maybe borrow a computer, and if that works out I'll build a dualbooted hackintosh.

MacOS in my experience like others have said it's like linux but more idiot-proof and dumbed down with some retarded design decisions but I never have felt like it was locked down like an iPhone. It's alot more open in the fact you can actually modify your system and have root access but in terms of actual open-sourceness the kernel is open-source but that is it

I’d used Linux desktop as my daily driver for years, then Windows through the transition to 10. Now I’m a Mac and I like it a lot. The hardware is sturdy and well-built. It’s sort of Linux-y with bash and all. But you can run Windows programs in VM type stuff. You’re kind of in a cult, like Jeep or VW.

right click > open > "this app is not from a trusted developer. open it?" gay message > click on open

i use a windows desktop and a macbook pro for my mobile that a friend sold to me on the cheap about a year ago, it is the first and only mac that i have ever owned.

dont see the point in OSX for a desktop computer but as far as my macbook is concerned the os works well with the hardware.
>apps can fullscreen onto their own workspace with no menu or dock in the way
>can spawn unlimited workspaces
>set my mac to do 3 finger sideways swipes to flip around wrokspaces
>3 finger gestures are actually really handy

there are a few things to get used to but for a mobile platform OSX is pretty decent and its more efficient with screen real estate.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 1.06.06 PM.png (455x458, 321K)

thx friend :)

Did you even read the question?

I did and the gimmick is boot camp. Feel free to show me non hackintosh native mac OS support on windows hardware, I'll wait.

>Can someone give me a /quick rundown/ of why would anyone use MacOS?

The keyboard shortcuts are really, really good.
They are consistent across applications. Text input boxes use Emacs/readline keybindings.

The OS is UNIX-based, so you have immense power at your fingertips... just open Terminal.app.

The UI is pretty good. Apparently it has proper multi-monitor support now! (I haven't used a Mac since 10.6 or 10.7, I forget... ended up going back to Linux).

This is very true.

>Does it actually have any benefits besides "muh minimalism"?
>The gimmick of Windows is how much its' used, Linux is customizable and open source, what's MacOS's gimmick?
macOS is worthless without other iDevices.
iOS is the same. most Apple products are generally worthless without other Apple products. you have to sort of build a family with them.
though once you do, it's magical. expensive as hell but kind of worth it.

This, also it's just pretty.

No it's awful, checkout antix

macOS has a lot of benefits in the way it does things. Like if you drag a file into a file chooser, it does not move the file to the open location, it navigates to the file. You can even combine this with the feature of dragging the little icon of a document that's open in an app's window to a file picker and you don't even have to know or navigate to the file in any form to begin with. This, and more little things to make the workflow better and easier (like shortcuts) is what makes macOS great for me.

Nothing. Mactoddlers are brain dead sheep and can only regurgitate what Apple marketing tell them to regurgitate. Macos is a clusterfuck abomination that's worse than W95.

Attached: 1494539451885.png (1245x852, 171K)

It's basically a Linux distro but with actually good UI/UX (for laptops, anyway). Would never really want to use it on the desktop due to the forced mouse acceleration. but the gestures and tracking on a MacBook's trackpad make me way more productive than with my X230's fiddly trackpoint, no matter how much time I spend with it.

XCode

>muh fart apps

Attached: 1513573839351.png (704x817, 309K)

It's just too comfy. Even when I'm out of space I'm still too comfy

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 4.02.51 AM.png (965x637, 553K)

if this is the case and it doesn't give you the same kind of bullshit you get with Windows 10 (forced updates, ads, crapware in your Start menu with every update)... then i don't see why anyone would use Windows except gamers.

though I'm sure there are drawbacks as with any OS. is it still unable to write NTFS? is installing third party software a real pain in the ass, as user mentioned? for example, iTunes is the devil himself, but you're not locked down from installing what you want, right?

I witnessed MacBook 2015 reboot during build of angular project. That's all you need to know about (((Apple))).

You realize that the hardware has been exactly the same ever since Apple started using Intel x86 processors, right ?
There's no emulation going on when you run Windows on an Apple computer, similar to how there's no emulation going on when you run macOS on a non-Apple computer.

A Macbook is not any more "custom" or "special" in terms of hardware than an Acer laptop.

>worthless

I do not think this means what you think this means

>forced mouse acceleration

wut

>non hackintosh native mac OS
wait, what? i thought the whole point of "hackintosh" was to provide native macOS on non-Apple hardware, since Apple doesn't want their OS on machines that aren't theirs, not because they have particular hardware that needs to be emulated

It pretty much is worthless.
The entire appeal is having your own little personal 'mini' cloud. Otherwise you could just use Windows or any Linux distro. There is no legitimate reason to use macOS, ever, other than that.
It's the consumer's OS.

>macOS is worthless
Period.

That's where you're wrong, kiddo.

my reason for mac:
console powers of linux (everything console-related on windows is utter shit and linux on windows is shit as well)
+ i can look at it without getting eye cancer (like in any linux distro)
+ i just want a working desktop with a few minor tweaks like that xmonad clone amethyst
+ better device support than linux

>ywn know the beauty of Continuity
I pity you. I truly do.

Why in the name of fuck someone would want to have fart and piss app on their phone?

Plugnplay functionality.
For example; if you buy an audio interface to use with a Windows computer, you have to go through a long and arduous process to install the necessary drivers; a process which involves rebooting your computer and the risk of permanently destroying the interface if you set it up wrong. And even then, even if you set everything up right and have monster specs, there's still going to be an annoying amount of latency, which is why so many audio interfaces have literal switches for clean monitoring to bypass this.

On macOS, you literally just plug it in and it 'jus werx.' No clean monitoring required.

>+ i can look at it without getting eye cancer
Wrong.

Attached: 1514467558624.png (662x580, 126K)

Pros of Mac:
Things that other OSes actually do just as well if not far better.
t. Mactoddler

I love macOS, its beautiful

It just works

Wrong.

Attached: 1516622512438.jpg (2592x1944, 373K)

>tiny text looks like shit when scaled up
wow, never would have thought!

both of you can go fuck yourselves. you're adding nothing of value with your "jus werks" and "macdoddler xDDD"

Attached: macos.png (543x220, 237K)

How will macfaggots ever recover?

Attached: 1500487837492.jpg (1920x1080, 750K)

>best of both worlds
More like a compromise of both worlds. It doesn't have as much application support as windows or Gahnoo tools as good as linux.

It works pretty well for laptop with gestures and its limited screen real estate but works like shit on desktop with its shitty mouse support, windows management, and font rendering.

>>tiny text looks like shit when scaled up
Yet this is the only argument mactoddler morons ever use while comparing their 2880x1800 display to a $100 walmart 1366x768 laptop.

It's used a lot in audio recording due to CoreAudio and because the Windows audio stack is still shit in 2018 (FL ASIO is a good replacement; a nice middle ground between the 'just werks' of WASAPI and the low latency of ASIO4ALL). For video/photo edits iirc Mac has more precise color profiling tools but I'm not too sure about that. Pretty sure most people in that industry just use it because they've always used it, I don't see a difference so might as well stick to Windows. For 3D/CAD Mac is objectively inferior and people doing that should stick to Windows.

This. Font rendering on macs is fucking trash. The ONLY reason it looks better than average is because of their pixel density on tiny laptop screens. Meanwhile they get shat on by ANY 4K laptop running any other OS.

Honestly there really isn't anything about Mac/OSX that significantly better than the modern linux distro or Windows OS for that matter. All have pros and cons and I like and dislike things from all of them but IMO 2 big pluses of OSX are UI consistency and that its the last modern OS with significant commercial software support (however valuable that is to what you do) that doesn't strip away the users ability to control what it does.

*blocks your path*

Attached: 1520635157582.png (693x568, 223K)

MacOS is great but the hardware is shit.
Just do hackintosh instead.

fagOS is shit and the hardware is shit.
Just install gentoo instead.

>copying a folder into a directory containing the same folder name does not merge them, but deletes the existing folder
>delete key doesn't work in finder
>maximizing a window doesn't maximize it

Attached: 1521360794085.png (594x648, 152K)

Maccucks will defend this.

>autistic Jow Forums apple hater

every time

>option+drag merges
>command+delete deletes in finder
>maximising a window does maximise it
?????

>autistic Jow Forums apple worshipper

every time

Attached: 1514229300383.jpg (400x815, 125K)

Attached: Turn-Off-Automatic-Apple-Software-Update-on-Mac.jpg (650x389, 50K)

>j-j-just turn it off!!!
>mactoddlers literally using the same damage control as winkiddies used for w10

Attached: 1493935049701.png (804x876, 456K)

You forgot the best one
>press enter to rename

This thread is turning into an applel_h8_2933.jpg dump.

who /T420 hackintosh/ here?

Attached: 1492235772544.jpg (1012x1279, 232K)

BTFO

>Windowsfag here
You're already a lost cause, and retarded, so you wouldn't understand any benefits.

ebic XD

This may be true, but wintoddlers are even more brain dead. Literally the dumbest posters on this board.

>ms does stupid shit with windows/surface/etc
>linux users shit on ms
>windows users join in shitting on ms
>literally no ones defends their stupid shit

>apple does stupid shit iphone/mac/etc
>120% full on denial and damage control by appletoddlers
>applecucks actually try to spin it as if it were a good thing
Yeah no, nothing is worse than or dumber than applefag subhumans.

Attached: 1517675361101.jpg (1000x710, 274K)

>Windows 8 changes start menu
>wintoddlers literally start killing themselves
Yeah no. mac users on this board are at least probably comp sci students or web devs, but the wintoddlers here are /v/tards that don't even know what a computer is. Like the Apple commercial, ironically.

Spotted the mactoddler moron.

Attached: 1511656971359.jpg (1280x720, 118K)

Whatever you say, wintoddler.
>Hurr durrrr wats uhh compppooootttaaahhhh
>its dah magic box dat plays muh gaymes XD

This desu. What was even the problem with Windows 8 again? The fucking start menu? What a bunch of fucking babies. Who even uses the start menu anymore? Fucking retards, that's who.

That's called baby duck syndrome.

1. It's not windows
2. stable & fast
3. get work done, don't fuck around with games
4. hardware his high quality light and efficient on battery life etc
5. Top hardware & software integration
6. Few bugs than windows & Linux
7. Has god tier developers and designers working for the company
8. Respects your privacy
9. Bash installed as default shell
10. Hardly ever need to download & run 3rd party software.
11. Software generally protected by certificates
12. You can run any x86_64 software if you really want to.
13. Integrates well with Linux / Unix and is a fantastic client for running and administrating Linux servers

The list can go on, try it for yourself. Don't look back.

>>Windows 8 changes start menu
>>wintoddlers literally start killing themselves
Thanks for proving my point. Windows users at least complain when they get fucked. Meanwhile mactoddlers like you bend over and beg for more and call it a good thing.

Attached: 1512240279731.jpg (389x183, 22K)

Full-stack dev here. Work with MacOS, Windows and several Linux distros daily.

Outside of C#/C++, Windows dev is a nightmare vs MacOS and Linux. Linux is the easiest to use but battery life is embarrassing.

Dev on laptop means MacOS. Easy dev and good battery life.

For desktop, stick to a half-decent Linux distro.

Don't kid yourself, wintoddlers have nothing on mactoddlers. In fact they're worse than mactoddlers. wintoddlers are the niggers of this board

Why do you feel the need to lie on the internet mactoddler?

>worse than mactoddlers
That's not possible.

Attached: 1493818092502.jpg (996x954, 299K)

>fucked over
The entire Windows operating system is one giant fuck-over. Only complete retards like you still use it.

This.

this desu. every day some failed abortion wintoddler starts a new thread with
>HOW DO I RESIZE A PICTURE
or some stupid shit.

The entire fagOS operating system is one giant fuck-over. Only complete retards like you still use it.

Posted from my fagbook that I just pulled out of the drawer.

Attached: 1517225785599.png (1245x852, 145K)

My workstation is Linux, My Laptop is Mac, I have no reason or pretence to lie.

I'm a highly educated professional working for a prestigious company and have a loving wife and child.

What did you do on your Windows 10 today? Don't bother to tell me, I'll send a request to Microsoft.

>no u
hahahahahaha
wintoddlers at least make good entertainment.

Why aren't appletard subhumans rounded up and gassed?

can it do direct PCI device assignment?
mediated passthrough?
GVT-g?

He had to restart his computer 20 times while posting in this thread due to failed Windows updates, BSODs, and literal malware

Attached: Windows-10-BSOD-fLIKR.jpg (1366x768, 30K)

WOW IT JUST WORKS

>he didn't buy a shitpad
lmao @ your life

>My Laptop is Mac
Does your wife know you take cock up your ass on the side?

ebic edgy /b/ memes XD
Does your mom know you're a faggot though? XD

This.

The quality of posts is extremely important to this community.

Back end developer for a large SF based company here. We're working with the basic meme stuff (Node.js, Golang, Mongo, Postgres, Docker, etc.). For our purposes MacOS is pretty good since it offers the convenience of working out of the box, while also combining the UNIX-like experience which is something you just can't live without after getting used to. Macs also have a great battery life.

The new X1 looks pretty great and I could consider that /w Arch but it'd probably get on my nerves after it breaks for the nth time because of an update. Tiling WM + Neovim would be a joy though.

For non-serverside gamedev Windows is still the way to go.