Speakers

Speakers

I'm purchasing my first pair of good speakers and am tossing up between the Audioengine HD3 and the Audioengine HD6.

The speakers will largely be used with my laptop. I work with pro tools, watch movies, and play music when I have people over.

Price wise the HD6 is $300 more in Australia.

Would the HD6 be significantly worse than the HD3's for near field listening? And vice versa?

Would do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Attached: Audioengine.png (1324x916, 1.76M)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1807323
youtu.be/9oFwIyxSKjY
amazon.co.uk/Edifier-R1800TIII-2-0-Studio-Speaker/dp/B00RN2J6IU
amazon.co.uk/dp/B0168V0MR0/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you guys not big into speaker/stereo tech?

Would I be better off asking /mu/?

Yamaha HS_
Vanatoo Transparent One

Audioengine feels like the Apple of the speaker world, maybe like Schiit. Slick marketing and shit, but the product isn't as good as what you pay for.

>powered speakers
eew don't do it OP

If you plan on sticking with a poor stereo setup forever then go right ahead, do it. Those things are probably fine for a bedroom or something like that. But one day you may want a surround setup. Now you're stuck with speakers that don't work with your surround amplifier.

Generally you want to avoid "active" speakers unless there's some space concern. Used good stereo amplifiers are really cheap because everyone wants surround so if you just want stereo then you should get an amplifier (you may need a bluetooth dongle too depending on how you're connecting your laptop) and some good passive speakers.

But as said, perhaps you're happy with a limited stereo setup. I sure as hell wouldn't go back to not having surround like when I was a student if I wasn't forced. It'd be like going from 4k back to VHS video.

Check the fucking archive.

This guy is trying ot meme you into a dumbass surround setup when all music is in stereo. Don't you think a stereo system would be best for stereo content?

Can confirm i wont ever want a surround sound setup, worse for music, too bulky, generally pretty gay from what i've seen.

Why avoid Active speakers? They're better than passive?

My main concern is that the larger HD6's won't be as good within 3 feet and with lower volumes, but i don't know a great deal, hence why i'm asking you guys :)

You are clueless.

I don't recommend getting anything audio engine. If you want bluetooth, PC speakers then get something like edifier R1700 BT.
If you want something good then look into either passive speakers or active studio monitors. jlb lsr 305 are very good as far as audio quality goes, but emit constant hiss.

On another note, is there anything equivalent to schiit jotunheim at a slightly higher price point?
Don't mind losing pre-amp outs.

I've looked at both of these and they'd get the job done sure, but i'd prefer to pay a higher price point for something that would a little better

I dig the versatility and bluetooth option up to like 50 feet (i realise bluetooth sounds shit but normies can't tell the difference), plus they look plain sexy,

If you don't get your answer in this thread wait until tomorrow. There's always a speaker/audio thread. Those are the speakers I would go with but I'm clearly poorer and more budget/personal use minded. It sounds like you want something professional, so I don't know.

Attached: Peppers.jpg (1200x924, 84K)

Cheers mate, thanks for the recommendations

I've been constantly checking for audio/speaker threads the past few days and I haven't seen any unfortunately. Only headphone threads

>something that would a little better

Attached: edifier_008.jpg (2500x2041, 781K)

The thing is, those audio engine won't be better. That's why I recommended either edifiers (which sound remarkably for the price) or going into studio monitors or bookshelves territory. Like someone here mentioned, audioengine is apple of speakers, they make overpriced, aesthetic stuff.
Or just get Vanatoo Transparent One, like someone here recommended.

Passer by here, just popping in to ask a question;

I like music, I like audio in general. I have some very expensive portable audio recording equipment for my work. However, I have never felt the need to buy extremely expensive speakers; My home media centre (+ record deck, DVD player, video game console) is all piped out through two Wharfdale Laser 200 speakers and my computer is connected to two Technics SB-3110 speakers.
These are old speakers that I picked up for very little money but I find that they reproduce my audio just fine, both for fun (Movies, Video games) and for work.

I'm beginning to feel like either very expensive speakers are snake oil or my hearing just isn't capable of recognizing the difference in quality. My one concession to this was my STAX 404s (Bought in bundle with the driver unit), which I love don't get me wrong, I adore them for their clarity of reproduction, but i've got other considerably cheaper and less awkward cans which pull 99% of the weight they do, so were they worth it really?

I suppose what I'm asking is this; Are increasingly expensive speakers subject to heavily diminishing returns or am I just a massive retard?

>Australian poster
Are you the poster that was going to get logitech? Glad you at least stepped up from that shit, but you can probably find something better than Audioengine. I'm pretty certain there are Australian audio brands exclusive to you guys.
>Are subject to heavily diminishing returns
Yes, they are. For speakers, you'll hear audible differences in the thousand dollar range still. For headphones, around 3-500 dollars. If your audio is reproduced to your liking, you don't need to change anything. Remember, for speakers the room and acoustics are also an important thing.

I'm drunk now whats up mothafuckas

i should've expected that you guys wouldnt like apple/audioengine/brands like, but you have to give it to apple, their products are generally intuitive, easy to use, look good, and function good enough.

saying audionengine is like apple honestly just makes me want their products more, i've had an iphone 5s for 5 years now and its pretty much perfect.

not that poster.

i'd be interested to check out those australian brands though, if you have any senpai?

People suggesting studio monitors why?? Studio monitors sound purposely flat and while i may get a cheap pair for pro tools purposes that i dont think they'd make the best music/video speakers.

i just want something i can use for pretty much anything

my question was, would the differernce in close sound be huge from the bigger hd6's to the hd3's

cheers fellas appreciate the replies
dabdabdabf

where to get vanatoo transparent one in Australia??

Look through this list. I think the dude I used to know was rocking TC speakers. Though he also mentioned that he has found shit loads of speakers off the streets that were destined for the trash. Those audioengines would probably work no problems, and they would sound fine. I think they're a bit overpriced though for their size and capabilities. For 700 dollars you can get more.
forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1807323

>But one day you may want a surround setup. Now you're stuck with speakers that don't work with your surround amplifier.

That's because he would need a processor and not an amp. They send out surround sound channels on line level instead of speaker level.

surround is retarded outside of a dedicated home theatre

Just get the HD6, they are pretty good and look nice.

>surround
stop being a retard.

>powered speakers
>having your speakers dependent on an integrated amp that can fail

Looked it up and processor separates are fucktarded expensive because ???? audophiles lmao

So you do need a normal receiver/amp, but get one with line level pre-outs

can't really recommend anything as a poorfag.

i like my B&W DM601 S2 and Technics SU-V450 but that's a 90s amp and 00's speakers

Attached: battlestation.jpg (8320x3120, 3.69M)

>schiit
Trash.

When was the last time integrated amp failed for you?
And I mean, on any speakers of value, not set of 5.1 logishits you begged mummy for 12th birthday.

The first thing to fail with powered speakers is usually the amp.

Attached: 20170423_145043 - Resize.jpg (5047x2839, 3.48M)

Transparent zero is shit but the one might be good.

LSR305 or the newer model 305p are the only options.

youtu.be/9oFwIyxSKjY

>When was the last time integrated amp failed for you?
Doesn't matter, if I'm spending decent money on good speakers especially ones that I like having them dependent on a integrated amp that can fail is stupid as speakers themselves will last so much longer

How much is this Parasound Integrated Amp? Seems they don't have the MSRP on their website.

I have Audioengine 5+ and a emotiva 8" sub.
I could post pics but I'm still wiring everything under my new desk.

Attached: 1522286357298-biz.gif (249x337, 1.64M)

I own audioengine s5's. Great sound and volume and has perfect mid-range. Paired with a 8" sub, it's a match made perfect.

DON'T PAY RETAIL, get them referbished off their website for 50 dollars less at least.

>8 inch sub
I didn't know sublets existed.

Attached: anime_laughter_79.jpg (441x445, 72K)

>yellow

Attached: t.jpg (300x400, 31K)

Attached: 1517614023-cocona-sweat-large-sticker.png (603x452, 184K)

jbl lsr305

You can get factory refurbs for 2,200 too I think.

What speakers do you have paired with it?

I'm sorry for asking this here, but it's the only speaker related thread right now.

I'm getting a pair of speakers soon (either the mission lx-2 or numan reference 802) and I also need an amp. With my budget I can only afford the Onkyo a-9010. There are 2 things that worry me though:
1- I will have to use my computer and/or phone as a source until I can afford a receiver. Would I have any difficulties with that?
2- I will probably add a subwoofer to the system eventually. Is that possible (or even worth it) with the a-9010?
Are there any used amps worth getting over the Onkyo that cost about the same?
Thank you in advance for any replies.

Pic kinda related, numan reference 802

Attached: 5b696681ec4148b1ebe6923253793_4.jpg (1500x1500, 128K)

That speaker positioning in relation to your chair shows you know little about audio.

My old pair of KEF Q100s, I gave my pair of Ls50s to my father for use in his surround sound system. I will buy new ones this prime day as they usually go on sale for it.

>Until I can afford a receiver
You're getting both an amp and a receiver? A receiver is just an amp with a built in tuner. Maybe a few extra features depending on price range. That Onkyo doesn't have a sub out so you'll have to use the left/right speaker output to connect any subwoofer. It's pretty straight forward how that would work.

Just buy good headphones if you're unable or unwilling to move furniture around and acoustically treat your room. Speakers always sound like ass in non-treated rooms.

Attached: wrong (1).gif (480x287, 1.21M)

I went full plebbit actually and I also have a SVS PB-2000 with it too. But I figured if that is the same set up that the Ls50s are tested with during QC it must not be that bad.

>he doesnt have bookcases full of books which achieve the same thing as wall treatments while also providing you with reading material
Everyday we stray further from gods light.

I've decided I'm getting the HSU BTF-15H Mk 2 to replace my BIC F12 instead of the PB-2000.

I think we had talked about that previously in a speaker thread. I would do that too but the PB-2000 is already too much for my space currently.

Yes we did, that's why I mentioned it. Waiting on a credit card for it. My 2.1 setup is "expensive" entry tier, so it's being upgraded in pieces, starting with the sub.

Thanks, I'm pretty retarded when it comes to speakers. I guess what I thought I knew about receivers was wrong.
This is a Yamaha ns-sw100. How would I connect that using the speaker outputs? It seems like I would have to spend more on a sub than I will for my speakers to be able to connect it to the amp's speaker outputs.

Attached: 566B6B999EE545BAB99B56FEBE9EADED_12075_735x735_842139d8ca2960edddf3c286f5137a1b.jpg (735x735, 65K)

Mine is full on plebbit end tier or avs starter tier

You wouldn't, since that only has an input. You would need some sort of sub specific output which your Onkyo does not have. You might need to either look at an Onkyo Receiver that has a sub output, or look for a sub in the same price range that has an input that would work with it. Dayton Audio 1000 or 1200 or an Onkyo TX 8020 receiver. Which is what I have right now.
Those fags circle jerk about apple home pods, your setup is a bit better than that.

>apple home pods
What is this and who espouses their use?

Can anyone recommend a good set of speakers for a college house ??

I dont know much about speakers as it is ! My budget is around 150eur and I'm located in Ireland, Europe

I considered getting a cheap second hand set from a buy/sell website but I'll ask here anyway

okay Jow Forums, I'm getting the urge to buy speakers. I'm currently considering either the LSR305s or paying about 100 bucks more to get the KEF Q100s. I know that they're active and passive, respectively, but they're both within my budget and I'd be buying a dac and amp depending on the speakers.

I enjoy bass and like V-shaped sound, I'm not particularly looking for a clinical experience.

What's the better choice? I like the idea of using the Q100s as a starting point to build up upon in a few years, the active LSR305s would probably be a bit more limiting in that respect.

Attached: kef_q100_ew[1].jpg (650x650, 26K)

Cheers, appreciate it

>Would the HD6 be significantly worse than the HD3's for near field listening? And vice versa?
>Would do you guys recommend?

I recommend you go to the showroom and listen to them. Nothing else.

Pic related. High level output. Speaker output from amp/receiver to sub high level input. Then sub high level output to your speakers.
I would honestly go for the Kef. I regret not getting them myself. Plus I think having passive speakers gives you more room to experiment.

Attached: 300-629_ALT_1.jpg (1800x1800, 411K)

>needing a sub-woofer
Dual 15inch woofers coming through

Attached: 304-030_HR_0.jpg (1400x1400, 148K)

Edifier R1800TIII
amazon.co.uk/Edifier-R1800TIII-2-0-Studio-Speaker/dp/B00RN2J6IU

or the bluetooth version if you need to stream from another device
amazon.co.uk/dp/B0168V0MR0/

I will eventually have two pioneer CS r700s when my father gets bored of them.

Attached: Pioneer cs r700.jpg (1024x768, 50K)

speaker placement makes little difference.

we're not all 5'9 manlets either. the drivers are at ear level

No, he's right, stop being retarded or shitposting. Speaker placement makes all the difference.

monitor placement makes a difference. speaker placement doesn't

I told you to stop being retarded. Sound travels via waves.

Attached: stereo-speaker-placement-cropped.jpg (978x846, 38K)

the speakers are pointed at me

Tweeter should always be ear level. high frequency wave is much narrower than mid and low ones.

ideally. the problem is that either the monitors block them completely or they sit slightly too high on the stands

I just have to find some similar subs to that one that are available in Europe.
I hope the bass coming out of my speakers will be enough for a while since it's a desk setup in a a small room.

You can get one of those foam stands and tilt speakers downwards with them. This way tweeters will be directed towards ears with speakers still being above monitor.

It probably will be. I can't find the relevant measurements of the reference 802s from a quick search. It would be safe to say though that shouldn't expect floor sharking low end.

60 Hz-22 kHz +/- 3dB according to the official website.
60Hz-30kHz for the lx-2 according to Missions website.
Floor shaking low end would be inconvenient for me right now. I just want the bass to be fairly present and precise.

Thanks for that user

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 257K)

I would much rather have one of their amps, so pretty.

I just got some Yamaha HS8s. I'm pretty happy with them. they're super clear with a gigantic soundstage and a ruler flat response

Attached: 20180330_175329_HDR.jpg (4160x2080, 2.01M)

>Speakers less than a foot away from face

Attached: scared renge.jpg (1280x722, 129K)

>not putting your speakers in your face so that at any moment you can load up "EXTREME BASS SPEAKER TEST" and knock yourself out for a nice sleepytime

>paying this much for an amp
>implying all amps don't sound the same past a certain point

All things considered its fairly cheap for what it does coupled with being a well known brand too.

i had to use a fish eye lens so the proportions look weird. they're more like 2.5 ft away

>not getting 2 emotiva monoblocks for the same price
>missing out on 1000 W RMS

Attached: DR1_seriespage_1200x.png (1199x683, 302K)

>not recommended for below 4 ohms
>would still need DAC, headphone amp, phono amp, and stereo receiver
>same price
Are you high?

didn't realize it was a receiver. not used to seeing parasound gear that isn't an amp desu

How much do those measurements matter? Dali says the Spektor 2 can go down to 54Hz and the Zensor 1 down to 53Hz, but from what I've read the Mission LX-2 has more bass than both of them.

It is their first integrated amp in 30 years or some nonsense, I really like it myself.

I'm not even sure those are near-field.

Their soundstage is so big... you have to use them as room speakers 2bh. Otherwise all that power is wasted, unless you want to bomb your ears.

i mostly got the bigger ones because of the flatter response down to 38 Hz or 33 or whatever it's rated for. so far i'm extremely pleased

better than headphones 2bh

Parasound also used to make Graphic EQs too.

Attached: image.jpg (1920x1440, 1.76M)

I have a Pioneer graphic EQ. I see no use for it, I just keep everything at direct sound.

I mainly use it because I like my old 80s Hi-FI relics and it's more universal than using a soft eq

Can someone explain the fascination with older hifi equipment? Not knocking it at all, genuinely curious. i see posts about 70's gear all the time

Audio has been pretty standardized for a while now, so older hifi is pretty good bang for your buck. Older audio equipment also has a certain aesthetic to it that modern equipment just doesn't have any more, especially shit that uses wood accents for example.

Audio engine are shit. I work at a store that sells them and i always recommend not buying them.

70s and 80s Hifi stuff came from a time there was no shame in people having fun with there sound and in some of the higher end stuff companies actually cared about how things where put together and most of that equipment still stands up today even compared to modern equipment

sony ss b1000 + a 100 wpc amp with toroidal transformer (used Cambridge Audio)

about $200 total