So... ni/g/ers

so... ni/g/ers
whats the issue here ?
Is the only issue the fact they disclose that they collect everything you type into the chat function including images and link ?
I mean name me a service that doesn't do that (hardmode; one that anyone actually uses)

Attached: reddit.png (1600x1600, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discordapp.com/privacy
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sophism
discordapp.com/developers/docs/resources/channel#trigger-typing-indicator
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>whats the issue here?
proprietary software.

Attached: AbsolutelyProprietary.jpg (431x437, 57K)

IRC but worse

Why? It has way more features like friends list, saving chat logs without figuring out bouncers, image and video uploads, built-in voice chat, and more.

When you interact with us through the Services, we receive and store certain information such as an IP address, device ID, and your activities within the Services

We employ cookies and similar technologies to keep track of your local computer’s settings such as which account you have logged into and notification settings

We may use third party web site analytic tools such as Google Analytics on our website that employ cookies to collect certain information concerning your use of our Services

'''we''' might '''sell''' or buy businesses or assets '''your information''' may be part of the transferred assets.

discordapp.com/privacy

loli is banned

The thing is most Jow Forumsentalmen don't understand how to use the software, it's just too hard for them.

Pretty sad honestly....

>whats the issue here ?
You said it, discord collects everything you type, even if you don't send the message.
Furthermore, Discord use google bot to make link previews that you send.
Anyway, Discord collects everything you do on it, and may sell your data.

>you want an alternative to chat
IRC
>you want an alternative to make a call
Mumble

Attached: 1519533314844.jpg (720x960, 77K)

yeah but who cares ?
its not like having a facebook account that can actually harm your life (ie, not get a job because of stupid shit you did in highschool)
and its not like im going to be using discord to come up with terrorist acts

counterpoints:
-centralized service
-forced accounts
-persistent accounts across all servers
-generally bad TOS and privacy policy
-generally bad implementation on debian (I use it I should know)
-forced updates
-as per TOS they gain very worrying rights to any OC you upload

>image and video uploads, built-in voice chat, and more.
You could simply link the video/image you wanted to share. If you need voice use mumble or something else that's similar. Write down your friends list or maybe there's an IRC client that supports friends lists? IRC is a protocol, not a specific program.

it's botnet, what other issue do you need to not use it?

>it collects everything you do and can sell it
what is the problem here ? what is this meta data worth to me ? its sort of like piracy when im not losing something but someone is receiving monetary gain for my info
I've seen Terms and Conditions may Apply and i still dont understand why its such a bad thing- considering how corrupt and fucked the government (in all western countries) is as a whole while literally 90+% of the population pretend its all sunshine and lolipops outside of the basic shit like "hur dur the prices of oil went up because some chink somewhere fucked up and spilt oil"

>hey Jow Forums, why do you even need privacy lol?
What is your goal here?

Attached: ???.png (495x461, 520K)

>>why do you need privacy ?
>why ?
dude can you asnwer the question ?
Im saying the information is only disclosed with advertisement so what do you care if Advertisment agency #14002 sees you clicked on buttpluggs and then advertises them to you ?

I always try to post image links from Jow Forums knowing the thread will die, and the link will cease working once irrelevant.
Actually accomplishing anything or needless autism?

>only disclosed with advertisement
yeah sure ok
t. eri

It's also centralized, which is the last thing a communications channel should be.

Storing all of that data would be expensive. How do they generate income from that?

USE MUMBLE SERVER YOU VTARDS

So this is the power of free software

who then nigga, you keep not answering the question and making fun of it at the same time

que ?
i assume they dont store metadata for long an

>who then
that's the point mang
you've no idea who has access to all your data mang
gnome sayin' mang?

>Storing all of that data would be expensive
chinks have a lot of monies

>open discord
>le epic gaymurr maymays from 2011 everywhere
>uses a shitload of RAM and CPU because devs are too retarded to program anything that isn't webshit so their crap is literally a web browser that can display a single page
Stop shilling this garbage here. Try instead, they are the kind of retards that love this bullshit.

im op an have no idea what you talking about retard
g always bitches about the security risks and im asking the ones who can string a sentence together to explain their position, discord is very convenient interms of functionality and thats why im asking if its even worthit to not use it if you wont have anyone to talk to since no one uses other instant msging tools

Even whatsapp has end to end encryption, discord is just skype for soyboys.

Attached: 1517871865583.png (1200x800, 74K)

>its just like this other VOIP application that offers marginally less in terms of functionality and has other security issues
really gets the noggin joggin

you're giving up on an elementary right that is privacy, while you may still use discord or whatever you have to keep in mind that it *is* important.
Haven't you seen enough dystopias to understand how dangerous it is for private companies to be able to bypass your right to privacy ?

>burgers use skype
>Europeans use teamspeak
>burgers switch to ventrilo
>Europeans use teamspeak
>burgers switch to mumble
>Europeans use teamspeak
>burgers switch to discord
>Europeans use teamspeak
when will they learn?

>posting on Jow Forums
>using google services
>using the internet
>using social media
>hethinkshehasprivacy.jpg

Pointing out similar problems doesn't make the on-topic problem less bad. Problems must be solved. If you're trying to convince everyone to "just give up already, we're slaves and there's nothing we can do about it!" I feel bad for you.

Attached: Abraham_Lincoln.jpg (1024x1344, 72K)

im pointing out that the guy is an idiot for using software that uses his information and then bitches about a service that uses his information
he is retards and so are you

I understand why normies use this as a replacement for Skype. I do not understand why they use it to replace more permanent things like forums.

Huh? On the shit server you're on?

Lurking these threads told me one thing: normies must be protected from themselfes and that's the governments job. Restrictions on what a company is allowed to collect and what not could solve the whole botnet problem.

Discord itself has stated they are against it.

>can't run your own server
>proprietary protocol
>the official client sucks and there are no third-party ones

nobody uses it as a forum replacement though

loli and shota is banned because it violates their ToS

>can't understand the subtleties of the human language

I've seen communities migrate from a forum or subreddit to discord. It boggles my mind.

good

not really

>doesnt know what hypocrisy is

why?

>can't discern hypocrisy from lucidity

did I hear reddit

Actually jokes and Jow Forums shitposting aside, it's not as simple as just being hypocrisy.
Keeping in mind those things and at least trying to prevent them from getting worse, whether it works or not is the minimum amount of responsibility any user should have.

Discord doesn't even see my ALSA devices

>>you're giving up on an elementary right that is privacy
>claims a reason for not using something is to not jeopardize privacy
>on a service that tracks your information and has almost no privacy
>not hypocrisy at its finest

Gamers are the most retarded group in the world. You can put anything in front them and they just suck it up.
Gamers have addictive personality, they are unable to make rational decisions. Spend money on trash, never learn. Bound by massive group think.
Start thinking all of the products made for gamers and you realize only a subhuman would buy them.

-centralized
-proprietary
-reads your discord data from your browser: this means it can ready OTHER data you don't want it to know from your browser
-not strictly their fail but man discord communities are pure shitfests even by "I spent 10 years on Jow Forums and you barely can show me anything new in terms of a community being shit" standards.

a large majority of gamers are underaged. you cant really blame them for falling to the tricks of such a huge industry.

After using discord for a while i do think it'd be nice if standards behind IRC can adopt some of their ideas. And if clients can make things a bit more 'friendly'

If you actually want (you)s, you have to at least list the applications in the order they were actually popular, underage.

>europeans use teamspeak
thats an odd way of writting Vent. my dude

>hardmode; one that anyone actually uses
Mumble, Wire
>easymode;
Riot.im

>what is matrix.org
man you consumer whores are clueless
tee bee haytch they're still not there for the demanding con-ho, and will probably end up with some floss-tier UX issues, but it's probably the best hope we have at this moment

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sophism

Attached: 1463711556871.jpg (960x720, 357K)

so he's not being a hypocrite by stating people shouldn't use services that sell their information by posting on a site the sells his information ?

It kills imageboards. Majority of user.ib fags spend their time there to spread lewds and for generals in other chans.

you mean, uploading your pic to Jow Forums then sharing the link instead of sharing the pic directly is your attempt at increasing privacy in discord?
someone post a reaction pic i'm on my phone

>N-word

Wtf ? How is this still there??

its simple, fast, and efficient. if you'd rather be spoonfed, you should go back to windows and reddit.

>Is the only issue the fact they disclose that they collect everything you type into the chat function including images and link ?
they also log process lists
>I mean name me a service that doesn't do that (hardmode; one that anyone actually uses)
mumble
teamspeak
ventrilo

the nazi party used the propaganda statement nothing to hide nothing to fear to spy on german citizens, they later used this for blackmail which helped them get to power, when people didn't care about privacy it contributed to the success of the nazis

Add to that:
- No encryption
- Electron
- Requires restart if audio input device changes
- Shady business
- Offers no advantages, being advertised for "g4mers" is not an advantage
- Is shilled aggressively everywhere in a suspicious way, "Just use Discord lol, what's the problem???"

> Got nothing to hide
How original

>No encryption
VOIP is encrypted, they just use a broken algorithm that can MITM'd

>Is shilled aggressively everywhere in a suspicious way, "Just use Discord lol, what's the problem???"
I've seen this and it stands out like a sore thumb; even on some tiny boards there's a discord shill trying to put down proven alternatives like IRC.

>even if you don't send the message.
Source?
>Furthermore, Discord use google bot to make link previews that you send.
As ridiculous as it sounds, that genuinely is a privacy thing. Prevents you from grabbing your recipients IP just by having their client create an embed
>Anyway, Discord collects everything you do on it, and may sell your data.
As do the hosts of your favourite IRC server, what makes you think they don't? Of course, some data is necessary to collect too - they can't give you message history if they never collected that
>>you want an alternative to chat
>IRC
Not remotely as feature-rich without non-trivial set-up and special client features

>As do the hosts of your favourite IRC server, what makes you think they don't?
Because my favorite IRC server is hosted by me
>feature-rich without non-trivial set-up and special client features
these only come at the trade of of giving away something you can never get back

>Source
You make a request to discord for each character you type because Discord have to know when you type to print something like "x is typing"

>that genuinely is a privacy thing
I don't know if a privacy thing is something that gives the autorization to Google to read all the links (or more) you post.

>As do the hosts of your favourite IRC server
IRC is just a protocol, nothing prevents you to create your own IRC server if you want. You can also create a private channel protected with a password if you want to restrict the hosts.

It's got a pretty GUI and some nice, easy to use features.

If you want an example of obvious shilling, this is a great thread to link to.

Ok, so you will choose a girl for her outer beauty rather than her inner beauty?

OP is still waiting for an actual response

>You make a request to discord for each character you type because Discord have to know when you type to print something like "x is typing"
Yes, you make a POST request with an empty body, and only need to do so every 10 seconds
discordapp.com/developers/docs/resources/channel#trigger-typing-indicator

>Host your own
Sure, but good luck getting a substantial user base. And what if they want to hide stuff from you?

this.

>substantial user base.
this is relative you idiot
>what if they want to hide stuff from you?
they can use FiSHLIM

I've jerked off with so many twinks and traps on Discord, including uploading vids of myself fapping and squirting huge loads while moaning the guy's name

How much danger am I in?

Thing is even though most reasons given in this thread are totally valid they're irrelevant. Discord is a social app, so unless you can convince everyone you know to give up discord too, which you can't, you're stuck using it. Doesn't matter how much better IRC or mumble are than discord if you're the only guy on them.

>this is relative you idiot
Yes, so the point is that not everyone's needs can be filled by IRC - hosting your own server is not a complete solution to the reasons why so many people use Discord

Exactly

Attached: Network_effect.png (200x446, 23K)

>ni/g/ers
>nigers
really?
>Is the only issue the fact they disclose that they collect everything you type into the chat function including images and link ?
A major issue is that this is a centralized service.
Another is that they collect logs at all.
>name me a service that doesn't do that
IRC
XMPP
Mumble
If you need something to be popular for you to use it, why are you even on Jow Forums?

Attached: 1453433856206.gif (360x360, 1.72M)

Discord has a bad reputation here mostly because of its privacy policy. The software itself is centralized.

But that said, I use it and I have a few channels there where I'm a member of them. I would rather let someone else choose the messaging client as it may prefer then me forcing a software just for the sake of privacy, something that doesn't please the majority.

Look at it this way: Why ban something that isn't illegal?

>Pentagram
This is why we need Discord. We might end up accidentally summoning a demon.

Privacy and general shadiness aside, their standalone client is fucking massive and uses an unreasonable amount of memory

>hurr hurr you didn't need that buffer cache anyways, kiddo!
electron shitters can FUCK OFF

not him, but it's illegal in a lot of countries, so allowing it would make it difficult to add servers in new countries. People in Australia probably aren't going to want to 800ms ping on voice chat.

You just put that in so you could dismiss any alternative that people might mention, didn't you. You can keep your discord.

As you select a region for the servers, why not ban it per location?

I'm interested in secure platforms suitable for white people who don't drink soy, and which will not be co opted by shit skins and goat fuckers trying to make chat rooms to plan ayayayaya kablamies

What I have found is the goat fuckers always co opt "popularised" messengers, and I will be having no part of them

i don't know if IRC over SSL meets your requirements, but it's reasonably secure if the server set up certificates properly.

people on Freenode, Rizon, and OFTC generally seem well behaved and write well (in comparison to most other communities)

>it has to be popular because I need social approval for every action I take

Attached: 1520290747338.jpg (700x695, 115K)

>Feeling threatened by other people using a messaging service
>Feeling threatened by plants
So masterrace

Try a therapist for your communication needs

No. Rather I don't want to use the same App as terrorists. So whatever they use, I will use something else., that shit skins don't know about... Better.

Telegram for terrorists
What app for terrorists

Not for me

Attached: 1515711611098.jpg (231x194, 31K)

>I don't want to use the same App as terrorists
Better stay away from Jow Forums at least then

I've never understood this image. Your SJW horseshit arguments are so plainly without merit that you're totally defeated by a nigger screaming 'SOY' at high volume?

@everyone suck my dick if you're a girl