"Gigabit Ethernet"!!!

>Gigabit Ethernet
>Can't even get close to those speeds

ARM IS THE FUTURE

WOW AT LEAST ARM DOESN'T HAVE ME OR PSP.

BTFO X86

....thanks Jow Forumsidiots.

Attached: Awesome-Raspberry-Pi-Add-On-Boards.jpg (700x500, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

a.co/8aYRub4
a.co/0DPefvX
a.co/htyKprK
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What am i looking at in the image?

You're probably one of those retards that think Gigabit and Gigabyte means the same thing

>t. SBC buyer.

A typical soy purchase.

It's still faster than the 100Mbit ethernet of the previous models and there are no other inbetween standards to choose from.

I work for a NAS company that uses ARM on our mid and low end. You can easily saturate 1GbE even with our shit from 5 years ago. There's even some 10GbE ARM stuff though you can only really saturate during reads (and only when running SSDs obvi.) Not from my company but for years at tech conventions I've seen other companies push powerful ass ARM for server CPUs (think 64 core sort of shit) and these are real products even if barely anyone is using those particular ones.
ARM doesn't indicate performance.

>have 3 desktop computers and like 6 or 7? laptops in my apartment
>momentarily think about buying a SBC because... memes and shills?
>realize it's a totally useless device for 14 year old coder dojo girls to make flappy bird clones and smart RGB alarm clock vibrators with

thanks Jow Forumsconsumerelectronics!

Attached: dodged a bullet there.gif (490x275, 924K)

The real problem with the RaspPi is that the Broadcomm chips don't have Ethernet controllers built in, so they use an addon chip that provides the USB and Ethernet interfaces, over the USB2.0 controller in the Broadcomm chip.

Obviously not all ARM chips are those Broadcomm chips and some have Ethernet controllers built into them.

>rebbit

>rebbit
oh sorry I must have forgotten that subtlety is completely lost on absolute fucking idiots.
I meant to say:
Thanks Jow Forums - Consumer Electronics !

Attached: wonderin.jpg (3333x3341, 175K)

- High-quality ESS DAC for best sound quality
- Use the ESS Technology flagship DAC chipset (ES9018K2M)
- 127dB DNR -120dB THD+N
- Used the Texas Instruments Burr-Brown OPA2604 low noise OP AMP
- Used the ultralow phase noise 100MHz HiFi TCXO
- Used the Texas Instruments ultra-low-noise voltage regulator
- Gold-plated RCA connectors
- Supports up to 1TB 2.5-inch SATA hard drives
- Selectable HDMI audio or Raspberry Pi i2S audio
- Supports SPDIF Optical Digital Audio
- Supports HDMI high-bit-rate (HBR) audio
- High quality video performance
- 3.5mm analog stereo jack output
- Allows you to split the audio stream from a HDMI signal
- No HDMI output connection is required to receive audio at the analog and optical outputs
- Connects directly to the Raspberry Pi - no additional cables needed
- Can be used individually with only 3 wire I2S signal connected from other i2s interface
- Ultra-compact chassis
- Powers the Raspberry Pi - no additional power supply
- Lighted power switch
- Raspberry Pi status LEDs still visible
- Easy to change the Raspberry Pi OS SD card - No need to open the case
- Easy DIY with Raspberry Pi

And this is supposed to be in reach for the average consumer? Vs. rpi?

banana pi m1 has gigabit and sata
$35
my speeds over iperf are 840mbps average

sata speeds are 113MB/s

network transfer dips quite a bit due to cpu usage but still get like 40

the odroid one is much better now for speed

>ARM is the problem here
It's just their retarded design. Baffling why it's so popular when better alternatives are abundant.

this

Attached: ophasreachedfaggotage.jpg (399x399, 67K)

normies like OP don't want to use google, or spend a few hours on tech message boards.

Obvious bait.

Nobody called the 3B+ gigabit ethernet. They were explicit in the specs that it is faster ethernet, specifically providing benchmarks showing 300 meg performance.

Here's an ARM-based box that gets to a real gigabit speed. And also to real 10-gigabit speeds on eight SFP+ ports.

Attached: mikrotik_ccr1072_1g_8splus_images_2136829234.jpg (1646x384, 151K)

>b-but ARM is shit

Attached: index.jpg (300x168, 5K)

No, it's gigabit ethernet.
It literally has a 1000MBit adapter attached to the USB2.0 bus.

>Faster Ethernet (Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0)
They are careful to avoid the G word to describe the ethernet speed. The adapter doesn't make it gigabit ethernet.

I don't know what the hell i'm talking about - the thread

>Have Orange Pi Zero
>Has Fastethernet
>"Well maybe wifi will be faster"
>Only get half of the ethernet speed

> Every ARM is a RPI
Yea, no. Pic related for instance does get close to GBit speeds, from a HDD - and it's still one of the relatively cheap ARM SBCs.

Attached: hc2.jpg (500x436, 122K)

>The adapter doesn't make it gigabit ethernet.

Yes it does, you fucking retard. Don't confuse gigabit internet for gigabit ethernet. My laptop from the late 2000s had gigabit ethernet, but I didn't even reach 100 megabits with it.

I sincerely hope RISC-V becomes the future.

wow, it's a router. I guarantee that didn't cost $35 dollars a la the SBC meme.

it's close but not really
still the best thing for under $100

>Gigabit Ethernet
>Maxes at 300mbps
>Even when using fast source storage

Well, it's relatively close to *saturating* GBit Ethernet, so it pretty much definitely needs GBit Ethernet. To get the same kind of speed on channel bonded 100MBit would require a silly amount of ports and cable - probably 7 to 8 or something.

The scenarios where you really need/want the remaining difference to the maximum GBE could push but still aren't *much* better off with 10GBE should be rather limited.
Also simply deploying multiple of these should work, two of them clearly are a lot faster than one saturated GBE port.

s/thread/board/

This is the most retarded thing I’ve dver heard. The PHY runs at gigabit but useable throughput is 300 Mbps. You don’t need to connect to the internet to run into that limitation. Shut the fuck up.

>>Even when using fast source storage
As I fucking told you, it's on the USB2.0 controller.

And this somehow excuses the issue?

No it's not. That has a TILE architecture CPU, not ARM.

>ARM DOESN'T HAVE ME OR PSP
doesn't have yet

Why the fuck should I get an expensive PC when I could get a cheap and power efficient SBC with a minimal gnu/linux distro that would satisfy all my computing needs?

If your computing needs consist entirely of texting editing then you make a good point.

It probably shares bandwidth with your USB drives.

Lot of those are like that. Fucking scams.

>buys a sportscar
>bitches and moans he can't go faster than the speed limit in his sports car because its the speed limit
>blames whoever made the sports car because obviously its their fault

>The PHY runs at gigabit

So it has gigabit ethernet. Shut the fuck up.

>a router and a personal computer are the only two devices one can link with an Ethernet cable
Are you idiots or just tech-illiterate poor people?

For one of my projects I have an HD camera running at 300 Hz

If you buy an m.2 nVME SSD capable of 2GB/s read and writes and install it in a SATA m.2 connector, it is still a 2GB/s nVME SSD even though you will only get 600MB/s speeds from it.

What the fuck are you even talking about you double nigger.

The only thing a sbc can't do are manchild use cases like modern video game shit. Everything else is covered because its not computationally intensive.

That OP is a dumbfag and poor as shit. Most likely a typical American.

Why would you connect it to SATA moron? The idea is to connect fast storage to matching interconnects. Perhaps this is going over your head?

Terrible Analogy. The sportscar and the driver can still exceed the speed limit.

So, I'm curious:
...when has an actually good design actually won out?

>Why would you connect it to SATA moron? The idea is to connect fast storage to matching interconnects. Perhaps this is going over your head?
Are you deliberately missing the point?

I'm not sure that a NVMe drive will work in a SATA m.2 connector, unless its controller is dual-mode for backwards compatibility.

bitch ass nigga OP still doesn't get that embedded devices are not to be used for the same purpose as a desktop

Frankly, I'm not too sure either.

Anyway, yes the Gigabit Ethernet controller is bottlenecked by the USB2.0 interface it is on, but it will still negotiate the network links as being 1000Mbit.

>t. redditor

Oh cool I guess I’ll use it to interface to a dozen PCIe devices, host MATLAB servers, do realtime video image processing, and transcoding.

>plugs gigabit ethernet into a termination
>anegs to 0 bps
IT’S GIGABIT

It's still a Gigabit Interface. No different to if I did the same with my desktop adapter.

The difference is that if you plug in a gigabit ethernet device into your computer you can get a billion bits into main memory a second. On this thing a hidden interconnect can’t even handle that, let alone the CPU and memory.

So mentioning gigabit at all is a retarded marketing stunt.

Are you people trying to make secure file servers or something?
Why not go full autism and get POWER?

RPi is a gimped computer whose only features are price and some exposed GPIO pins. For the average OP that means he can copy and paste some code and make LEDs blink for 5 minutes while the price allows him to not feel stupid while it sits in a box for 30 years. This is important because if it were more expensive he would ebay it and people would just keep buying them used from each other.

I actually was kinda impressed they didn't go specsman ship and just say gigabit, I guess they new enough autist nerds would rage at the USB 2.0 thing. Seems like they actually almost went overboard pointing out the 300 meg thing.

When using it as a NAS, it tops out at 20MB/sek max.

raspberry pi 3b
a.co/8aYRub4
+
a.co/0DPefvX
this video expansion board
+
a.co/htyKprK
this hdd expansion board

can i use this as a torrent box as well as a NAS? i'm using an old laptop right now and i'm ready to upgrade to like a real 4tb NAS drive and something like this. i need to be able to stream and load ~8gb .iso's remotely and initiate torrents from a browser for it to make sense

>The difference is that if you plug in a gigabit ethernet device into your computer you can get a billion bits into main memory a second.

Not necessary. If it's plugged into a PCI bus (32 bit @ 33 MHz, minus overhead, minus other devices that might be using it), you aren't getting a billion bits per second. However, I haven't seen anyone with strong enough autism to claim that PCI GbE adapters were really "800 Mbit/s" or something and not real GbE adapters.

There's plenty of ARM SBCs that can. Pi is trash for real use.

even a common soho router can do that
mine from 2011 has a usb port on it, and is setup with OpenWRT, i have transmission running on it
it has a 300MHz MIPS cpu and 128M ram
basically, if it;
- has some way to attach mass storage
- has some way to connect to a network
- runs linux
then it can be setup as a NAS/seedbox. ideally you'll want something with fast storage/network capability for a NAS, though, my router has gigabit ethernet, but it's usb port is 2.0
also be wary of using ntfs-3g and samba, they can be quite taxing on slow cpus, use native linux filesystems and nfs/ftp/etc instead

>$106.29
It's better getting a used Dell.

Attached: Screenshot_76.png (1469x515, 296K)

Attached: a.png (559x105, 17K)

and it doesn't include a drive!

Reminder that this cpu's architecture (TILE) is so shitty and unmaintained, that it's getting removed from the only OS that ever supported it (Linux)