M4a, aac, mp3, or ogg?

This is coming from flac converting to m4a, aac, mp3, or ogg. I've read some stuff online but I use my DAP (Benjie T6, some Chinese DAP) and I was wondering what format people use and why they use it.

Attached: free-audio-file-converters-59d80c8dd088c0001031006c.png (768x512, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

penonaudio.com/benjie-t6.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbycusis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nowadays it's either AAC or Opus. The rest can't compete.
If it's for converting music, just stick to AAC.

flac on your pc and opus on your smartphone / portable music player.

I know m4a is the container for aac. So do you use straight aac or m4a. Dumb question but here I am.

Opus, nothing else. Even AAC can't compete with Opus.

Attached: zxwOBMJ.png (640x510, 18K)

Flac and some ogg.
My phone have DAC.

M4A is way more common and supported.

Sure on average it's a bit better, but AAC also supports 44.1k and uses less power.

What bit rate do you use in opus?

Ogg for portable music.
Opus is overrated and not for music IMO, it's great for podcasts/audiobooks and maybe very little kinds of music (e.g. something with only voice and guitar).
Listening to some classical, ambient, or even rock music encoded in Opus it's not better than listening to the same in 96k mp3.

Attached: IMG_20180330_182738797_HDR.jpg (3024x4032, 2.84M)

If anyone knows anything about encoding what would be good for m4a/aac?

I have FAAC and FFmpeg?

FAAC is garbage. Use either Apple/iTunes or Fhg/Winamp.
Go to Hydrogenaudio for instructions, you can use the iTunes encoder with Foobar, so that you don't have to install Apple's malware.

I can't use those. I have Manjaro. So yeah.

not since 1.3 at least for power. afaik modern upsampling to 48Khz has very little effect on 44.1KHz sources

128 vbr with a compression level of 10, failed every ABX test on expensive cans from classical to metal music

>lmao
FAAC

opus m8, it should be in ffmpeg

Well I use soundKonverter. From what I understand it's the least meh thing I can use with what I have.

Well in that case you're stuck with Vorbis, which isn't a bad codec, it's better than FAAC or MP3.

His chinkshit won't support Opus.

this

Dude my chickshit Benjie T6 will support any fucking thing you can toss at it. I mean I run Manjaro (not windows) so I'm limited in what programs I can use because I just really hate windows.

I looked here and didn't see Opus
penonaudio.com/benjie-t6.html

(And I hate Windows too, but I still use it.)

I mostly use .mp3 on both my Computer and Smartphone but i also have some .m4a files i use to listen too that i pulled down from Youtube via JDownloader with a plugin.

Get the opus streams, they're higher quality

I hate lazada
lazada dot com dot ph/products/newest-benjie-t6-24bit192khz-dsd-bluetooth-entry-level-hifi-lossless-music-mp3-player-18-lcd-screen-digital-audio-player-dap-intl-i119805295-s124448234.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.4.26272e65yhEMAJ&search=1

Yeah I guess there isn't opus. I didn't try anything other than mp3 and m4a. I don't use it much. I have toncilitis and I don't do much as I'm waiting for surgery. Mostly just on the computer.

You guys need to stop falling for the hi-fi meme. As we age we become more deaf and less able to tell the difference between high and low bit-rate lossy music. Hell I took a hearing test a couple weeks ago and could not hear past 14 KHz, I'm only 26. Teens at school especially know this and use 17 KHz mosquito ringtones.

+1

I just want to save the most amount of space and have the most amount of music in a decent format. I don't want flac. I just download flac and convert from there. I think knowing what to convert to is the next step.

I literally wish I was fucking memeing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbycusis

Attached: 1522271157248.jpg (722x349, 58K)

Yes but dedicated amps/dacs or whatever are fucking stupid and a huge waste of money. Unless you have a $20 wallmart android phone the dac in your smartphone is more than good enough.

If you want to stay GNU compatible it's either Vorbis or Opus. Both are good.

Vorbis actually has the best gapless playback of all lossy codecs. It might be the only one that handles it properly, in fact.

And if you plan on using that thing a lot you might also consider which codec uses the least power on your device.

I was wondering about the power details as well but my god google and everything else is just fuck for looking shit up. I could slap up some music on the damn thing and figure it out quicker. Which is real lame that people don't care about this stuff.

MP3 (lame) is not a bad option, either. And pretty much guaranteed to be well optimized.

I don't doubt that, but my entire CD collection plus a lot more is ripped as 320 kbps mp3's, so i had to redo the whole collection.
The problem is i have almost no time redoing it because i have business to take care about.
And to be honest 320 kbps mp3 is sounding pretty well already.

Opus > all
lately the thing I care for for codec/format is if browsers can play it, which means ogg+opus or m4a+aac (or mp3 but that's inferior format)