Is 21 too late of a start to learn to program?

Is 21 too late of a start to learn to program?

Attached: teach_me_cpp_senpai.jpg (1440x810, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nepneprage.neocities.org/smugnene.html
vanguardngr.com/2017/08/oldest-app-maker-japans-82-year-old-wakamiya-taught-coding/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

only if you have to ask Jow Forums

nepneprage.neocities.org/smugnene.html

Why would it be, are you already going senile?

This is the type of thing your adult brain needs to stop it from turning to mush

Naw mate your fucked. If you didn't start scripting or know BASIC by 12 your shit outa luck.

Attached: 1522404468185-g.jpg (648x1279, 127K)

learned php within a day at 26, if you can't do this you hit the bong too much

No
vanguardngr.com/2017/08/oldest-app-maker-japans-82-year-old-wakamiya-taught-coding/

Yea you're fucked, its like everything (golf, music, etc). You had to have started young to have any chance at succeeding.

ironically this. sorry OP you'll have to try something else.

What else can he even try at his age? It's all over.

maybe there was something that he learned when he was younger. oh wait i think i got it he could ask stupid questions. he seems to be very skilled at doing it.

>if you can't do this you hit the bong too much
I don't smoke weed, I'm just naturally stupid.

Congratulations?

>Is 21 too late of a start to learn to program?
depends entirely on your IQ.
if you're only a little smart and not a lot smart, you're gonna have a bad time.

I'd say it's not even up to iq but rather perseverance and QUALITY hard work

There's this guy at my uni, started the uni after doing years of manual labor at 27 years old, he's fucking better than any of us now at final year of master's degree because he worked hard and tried to understand everything and elaborate it in a simple way that he could understand, and understand what is the purpose of everything he's learning

I was 20 when I took a programming book written in English in one hand and a dictionary in the other (I am not a native speaker), reading the text in weird french syllables in my head (I am not a native french speaker either though I learned it in school so I was pretty good at it back then), and within 3 months I had c++ down minus STL and the meta-programming parts (I'd come to appreciate those later after my exposure to LISP), my teacher the next semester would not know better than I did when it came to the itty bitty technical details of the language and would turn to me as if to an ISO standard book. Felt awesome man.

TL;DR version: you're young whatever you decide to pick up now you'll have it mastered by the end of the current decade. Read the paper about the 10 years rule, it'll benefit you immensely at this particular moment of your life.

>21
Yes. Your life is practically over by this point.

a lot of diligence can make up for a small comparative deficiency in intelligence, and a lot of genius can make up for some small degree of laziness, but they're not truly fungible.

that laborer busting his ass off? you are probably at the best only slightly naturally smarter than him, if it all.

Am 21 since yesterday, can confirm.

It's never too late as long as you understand how programming actually works. I'm convinced you can learn any language at any age as long as you understand what programming actually is and how computers work, however if you fail to understand this you'll fail to learn any language properly.

21 isn't an age to start worrying about any of this anyway, it's at like 50 years old that you really start losing the ability to learn new information.

Idk my mom is going to college for this

imagine unironically being this miserable and pessimistic

reddit pls go

meme aside, no, but you lose the fun of it
start code in junior hs, stopped at senior hs, start it again after graduated from bachelor (finance), so about 7 years later, and it feels just different: bland and demotivated
you lose the fun of build simple things you like (not you need/makes money), made stupid errors with it (you're dumber and rely more in intuition), etc

Attached: newgame-s2-ep6-scr5-300x169.jpg (300x169, 9K)

imagine ironically being this miserable and pessimistic

just do it. If you fail, do something else, if successful, keep doing until mastery.

Of course not.

>BASIC by 12
Talk about a late adopter
If you don't write your own compiler in ASM by the age of 10 you should probably just go to special ed

>nepneprage.neocities.org/smugnene.html
If you're older than 4 you're too old start programming, grandpa.

Serious response: once you have kids give up on any ambitions you have. Once you have to raise them you'll barely have time for shitposting on Jow Forums much less learning how to be a programmer.

Both my cousins went to college, both had kids, and both have dropped out mid-way and work at bojangles. The fucking idiots.

You can learn anything at any age[1]. Obviously learning anything is easier as a child than an adult, but it's absolutely doable.
It will help if you have a decent maths education. Consider a question along the lines of "Consider the composite function f.g(x), evaluate for x=42, prove that it works for all x>0". if you can figure that kind of thing out without major issues then it maps very nicely to calling functions when programming. If you can't, then you can still go ahead with programming but improving your maths skills would be a good idea.

[1] There are a number of exceptions to this, mostly relating to primal functions such as eyesight. (Your brain can never learn to see better than it did when you were ~10 years old, so an uncorrected vision problem as a child generally fucks you over for life). None of this applies to explicit learning of abstract concepts, such as programming.

I started at 20 at a community college and it went like this.

year1 CC No internship
year2 Uni No internship
year3 Uni Internship 30/hr(local no name, got it by chance desu)
Year4 Uni Internship 60/hr (big 4 tech company)
year5 Next year, hasn't occured yet (hey i suck at school blow me)

You can easily do this or better. If you start today and practice like an hour a day 5 days a week you will be better than I am now in 2 years.

You don't reach your creative and intellectual prime until you are 25-26

Not that i think you are wrong. Good at your example does imply good at programming.

But you can be retarded at proofs by induction and the like and still be a very well paid programmer who does important shit.

Its not when you start, but rather or not you have the drive and the mind for it.

I didnt start until I was 25. Actually thats not true. I did some basic scripting in hs with html and whatever cmd is. I took java in my first year of computer science. I dont remember any of it.

I picked up a python book 8 months ago and I learned more in those 8 months then the previous 5 years.

Being young sucks. Its hard to see the value of anything long term. Your parents can force you into shit , but if you dont care about it its a waste of time.

Having the drive I do now is worth more than all the time in the world but no drive.

get ur shit together.

u a good person user

IT IS NEVER TOO LATE AS LONG AS THERE IS BLOOD IN YOUR VEINS AND BREATH IN YOUR LUNGS

GET TO IT MOTHERFUCKER

Attached: 1468292766396.png (300x300, 22K)