BLACKED

More reliable my ass.This thing died today when shredding anime videos while torrenting more anime videos. First firefox froze, then the whole OS, then the screen went black. I restarted the PC and the drive was no longer listed in POST nor detected by the BIOS.

I've lost the legacy Windows XP partition, the browsing and torrenting linux partition, bookmarks and old mails included, and also the data partition with tons of retro emulators and roms which I never play but I wanted to keep.

It lasted only 4 fucking years. How is this crap considered better than my OEM Crapgate which lived 5 years and could be salvaged by putting it in the fridge? Fucking WD jews. BTW the warranty should be 5 years, but entered the S/N in WD's site and it says it expired in 2017. I just want to kill myself for the inconvenience.

Attached: mj8734fmnbt.jpg (225x225, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-temperature-does-it-matter/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've never had a hard drive die. Sounds crazy, I know, but I still use hardrives I've had for 15 years. Is disc death a Windows only thing?

That's what you get for not backing up.

Should've gone for the cheapest drive (think it's the Blue). Anything higher priced are meme drives.
>but entered the S/N in WD's site and it says it expired in 2017
Pic related.
I still have Quantum Fireballs from 2 decades ago, all have been used with 98 and XP and still working fine, so Windows has nothing to do with it.

Attached: joos.png (500x396, 97K)

>so Windows has nothing to do with it.
That's cool, just asking. I have little experience with Windows.

>65323104
That was too much data to backup. I didn't have an spare drive large enough to back up three partitions let alone the time to do it periodically.

It is a failure of the society that we still cannot reliably and conveniently store data at home. Desktop-grade drives should last 10 years minimum.

Wait wait. How did your whole OS freeze? That would only happen...AHAHAHAH!

Don't tell me you used this as a system drive? A FUCKING HARD DRIVE. It's 2018, time to upgrade grandpa.

If you weren't a brainlet, you would just have pulled the dead drive out your RAID rack and popped a new one in and gone on like nothing happened.

>>blue
Its pretty much the only model they are making today. Meaning the whole green-black-red-purple thing is a farce and they are all essentially the same model with some minor tunning.

>RAID as backup
Enjoy your second disk failure while the array is being rebuilt.

>they are all essentially the same model
This here is the truth and it's always been this way. Hence why special snowflake NAS drives and "high performance" drives are all memes.

4 years in tech land is like a decade to normal people. Be fucking grateful it lasted as long as it did. It's your own fault for not keeping backups of your shit. Don't blame the drive, it did it's job. Now if the thing failed after 2 weeks or a year then you'd have reason to complain.

Based HDD that would rather khs than download weaboo garbage

You're a retard for not understanding statistics, and a double retard for not buying a $100 external drive to make backups.

Are you retarded? Why would you use it as just backup, you use it as the main storage for your fails, either locally or on a seperate local file server.

RAID is not backup. All those similar drives you bought, maybe even of the very same make and model, are probably going to fail around the same time, especially if we are talking power spikes. Then you take the broken drive out, insert a new one (you probably have an exact spare because you are a fag) and then the rebuilding of the array starts, but that stresses the fuck out of your other disks and then enjoy your Russian roulette. Inb4 you buy more spares, because its 3 years after you bought all the drives and they are no longer selling those models.
So even if you cheated death with the first failure, here you are 3 years later buying an entire new array of more dense and less reliable drives and transferring all the data again. And that is a very expensive and inefficient backup after all.

>4 years is normal
Fuck off. This is unacceptable in a civilized world. And apparently the trend is for larger, more dense drives. Which with the current technology means reduced reliability.

Meanwhile my floppies from the 90s are still working. Maybe we should start making smaller drives for high-reliability long-term storage and keep making the 1000 gorillion TB drives that last 1 month for the normies?

Or MAYBE THIS IS A CONSPIRACY TO MAKE US ALL STOP HOARDING POTENTIALLY PIRATED MATERIAL LOCALLY AND BACK UP ALL OUR DATA IN THE (((CLOUD)))?

No, it's just completely random. You can have three drives fail quickly and ten drives functioning perfectly fine until eternity.

And brand new drives also seem to have an increased chance of dying.

Mines is still going strong after 7 years.

spbp
/thread

>Or MAYBE THIS IS A CONSPIRACY TO MAKE US ALL STOP HOARDING POTENTIALLY PIRATED MATERIAL LOCALLY AND BACK UP ALL OUR DATA IN THE (((CLOUD)))?
yes

aint never had a drive die. you just have shit luck mate. Ive got ancient hdds that still spin up just fine.

this

>WD
Buy Toshiba or enjoy your botnet

manufacturer warranty usually starts one or two months after the date on the part.

if you have the proof of purchase from an authorized reseller of WD drives (almost every retailer) then you can get the drive warrantied within 5 years of purchase regardless of what the website says. You will need to make an account though on WD's site and give them a copy of the proof of purchase (most websites let you redownload their invoices), if it was a physical purchase via bob's pc shop, good luck unless bob has good customer service.

Don't confuse WD and HGST

Well what would you do when it died at 10 years of use? Make this same faggot fucking thread? Learn how to backup, retard.

BOIIII YOU JUST JINXED IT

HARD DRIVES ARE COMMODIFIED NOW, LIKE TOILET PAPER, LITERAL TRASH TECH EVEN THE HELIUM ENTERPRISE ONES

NEED A RAID SCHEME THAT CAN HANDLE AT LEAST 2 DRIVES FAILING AT ONCE OR ALL UR SHIT CAN GO POOF

The cheapest drives are refurbished green drives xd

lol
And yes I do have a backup for this.

Attached: 1513842225621.png (580x470, 58K)

>It lasted only 4 fucking years.
Not horrible, but not good either.
>warranty expired
That's a shame. Sorry to hear that, OP. Next time, have a backup, or split tasks between drives.

The fuck are you talking about?

Attached: 1462289173156.jpg (604x453, 73K)

Some people kill their HDD's randomly, while others have their HDD's for years without any of them ever failuring.
I guess it hardly depends on how much people care about their HDD's in general. when people as like OP torrent and erase other files at the same time, it is hard work for the HDD and over the years they will break.
I let my HDD's get their business done before i give them the next task. that way i prevented my disks from ever failuring.
I never had a HDD fail for me. And i have used computers since over 35 years now.

You especially have to take all those consumer reports with a grain of salt when you see how some people have their HDDs installed. The working conditions.
I've seen so many HDDs at temperatures way over 45°C, some even at over 60 and the owners are completely oblivious to it. Some even stack several HDDs above each other with literally no airflow ("huh? I thought only the processors need cooling").

A HDD kept under 45°C will usually hold together a TON longer than one that ran way over that number for a longer time.

Attached: 1488422137545.jpg (157x179, 4K)

>child cartoons
found your problem

No im Windows user(formated to ide Also Linux and hackintosh) and i have one drive i first used in 2009 still runing solid for data. Also one external drive which may be 12yo

Only reason why the OPs HDD died is because OP is faggot trap and wears fucking socks and skirts. Die you fucking homotrap

I came here to say this

False. It's actually highly unlikely drives will fail at the same time. Do some research, don't just make assumptions based on basic logic.
I've been running a RAID6 arrays for file server use and backup for over a decade, by that time, sure, I upgrade my storage space every 5 years anyways, but the last 5 + 5 + 3 years different sets of drives have been running, only TWO have failed and it was no problem rebuilding it.

Also, how fucking dumb are you? You buy backup drives WHEN you buy the rest, they are backup drives, not drives for backup. Not go hunting for them when they fail. It was implied here already: >If you weren't a brainlet, you would just have pulled the dead drive out your RAID rack and popped a new one in and gone on like nothing happened.

Unless you're a caveman who does cold backups like a maniac who has time to waste on that instaed of sthiposting, sure go for it. RAID for personal file server use and thus also using that server for backup, is the most efficient and cost friendly way. Unless you're a poorfag obviously, might as well backup to a DVD disc.

Indeed, temperature is a huge factor in HDD's life span.
But i have some Seagate Archive HDD's with 8TB (the SMR ones) that get around 55 to 62 degreeC when put into a docking station.
But so far they are going strong.

Me neither, but then again, I use Seagate Constellation AS drives, that make WD blacks look bitch tier.
>he thinks spending $15-20 more on an HDD is a substitute for backing up his data or at least mirror raid
Lol

Is the same true to seagate? Im using a ironwolf nas drive, it was the same price as the barracuda so are they really the same?

>keeping HDDs toasty
>SEAGATE

I... guess it's fine if you have everything backed up

Attached: 1383010371117.jpg (208x199, 13K)

The black is physically heavier than the blue, it has more platters packed into it, and a different readhead+motor that uses more power. They’re quite different on an engineering level

What ive noticed is mine is a lot hotter as well. Like jesus its the only drive i have that needs active cooling

>Backup
LTO-7
The temps are pretty normal for Seagates of that type.
My old Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HD204UI's are running with less than 40 degreeC even after hours of use.

>The temps are pretty normal for Seagates of that type.
I also noticed that Seagates run a lot hotter.
I wonder if that was also a reason why they had so much problems in the past

Don't really know the exact problem they had. But the 8TB Archive disks are pretty reliable. I have 28 of them now and none of them ever failed for me. So far i am satisfied. But due to the SMR, they are pretty slow for random writing and stuff. They are really not able for other things than pure data backup and saving.

Which exact model are those?
Might look into those

its the Seagate ST8000AS0002 8 TB model. They are pretty cheeap also. On Alternate.de they go for straight under 200 Euros.
You may get them cheaper in Amerikania

what i also noticed is that later revisions run some degrees cooler than the older revisions. Despite having the exact same housing.

but one important thing to mention:
They are NOT RAID compatible. So forget about putting them in a NAS SAN or any server HDD cluster related thing.
Data IO timeouts will be the follow.

this is why i use a toshiba one.

>BTW the warranty should be 5 years, but entered the S/N in WD's site and it says it expired in 2017
What warranty? from the store you bought it from or from the manufacturer? I would have expected 5 years from the DATE it was made, not the date it was sold

Its from the date it was sold, thats how warranties work in australia at least

He's talking about how WDs are popular, so there are nasty wares out there that reflash WD disk firmware to do bad stuff.

I don't see why you couldn't do this to a Toshiba - or any other - drive, but they're far less of the market, so probably not a target worth bothering with.

Perhaps its so good it became sentient and, finding that its purpose in life would be merely to download japanese cartoons for a weeaboo faggot, decided to end its life then and there?

3.5”? I sell a lot of blacks in 2.5” they don’t have this issue. Lot of laptop drives that I replace mostly. I have Seagate constellations in my desktop at home, so I don’t have any experience with the bigger blacks.

I just had two drives die within a week and they were back ups of each other, WD and Seagate, the WD was eight years old and gave some warning signs but the segate just crapped out with no warning. And then one only partition of a 4tb drive went corrupted for the second time in 3 years.
I have no fucking idea why but I'm thinking it might have been because of a recent power outage, and then the power came back on and the storm was over for hours and then the power company turned the power back off and on and that's the only connecting factor between the dead drives was that they were both plugged into my cases front panel ports, and Asus makes these ports always powered even when the computer is off.

I guess fuck me for thinking it was safe to plug in hours after a storm and the power had been restored and that my APC surge protector was worth the 60 dollars

I have a 1tb and 500gb black in my main desktop and they've been fairly thrashed and been nearly full for a long time and they're still running great, and so is my OCZ vertex 3 that's had a fair share of I/O. I put the desktop together as soon as the 2600k came out as a time frame reference.

just like rick and morty xd

Yeah 3.5 the smaller ones are no issue.

A $60 surge guard seems like its going to be awful no matter what

It was half off because the Staples was closing or moving and I thought why the hell not and then I used all my saved up rewards points for trading in used printer cartridges on top of the sale so it was only $60 dollars cash, but what gets me is that the drives in the desktop itself were fine.

I don't know if I can get insurance to cover data recovery if I say it's personal photos that are my intellectual property, or the power company for causing a surge hours after the storm like absolute cunts, but I'm not paying 1500 dollars for pictures of my fat girlfriend and my freshly organized Jow Forums folders. I am really fucking bummed because I had all the pictures and videos of my guinea pig on there and she just passed away.

Attached: 20171229_110247.jpg (3264x2448, 2.59M)

your dog looks strange but cute

As always shoulda made backups. Ive lost far too much important data doing stupid shit as a child to not have backups in this day and age.

all hard drives fail retard, that's why you make backups

>muh animu

kys twice

This has "famous last words" written all over it.

Hard drives - in fact, ALL storage devices - die when you least expect it, and when it will fuck you up the most. Murphy's Law and all that.

>sample size of one
>no backups
OP is a fag.

Hard drives have a 2-3% annual failure rate.
All hard drives fail.

that's not how reliability works.

Not even software raid? Who'd fucking release a hard drive you can't RAID?

>Unless you're a caveman who does cold backups like a maniac who has time to waste on that instaed of sthiposting, sure go for it. RAID for personal file server use and thus also using that server for backup, is the most efficient and cost friendly way. Unless you're a poorfag obviously, might as well backup to a DVD disc.
Not him, but that's not what "RAID is not a backup" means. It's perfectly fine to use your NAS for backing up the data on your laptop or whatever, but RAID is not a substitute for backup, i.e. you shouldn't consider the data you only have on your RAID array backed up, because RAID offers no protection against user and software errors.

>8 years old
>3 years of on-time
>nothing important stored on it so no worry
git fucking gud

Attached: Capture.png (674x656, 81K)

WD and Seagate are backdoored and have a chip that executes malicious code before an OS boots.

>wd

you TOTALLY deserve it faggot, I have a seagate 30gb with old CP and shit still works

> BLACK
> More reliable
You dun goofed. Blacks are faster and louder, not more reliable.
> It lasted only 4 fucking years
It's not bad, butt...
> entered the S/N in WD's site and it says it expired in 2017
Did you get a used drive?

Ive got 25 year old drives that still work. New drives are made to fail. Flame on

Blacka are the only modern drive that still work well. 5 year warranty thats unrivaled by everything else

> 5 year warranty
Warranty does not cover the lost data.

>having media on OS drive
the fuck did you think would happen user

>not establishing RAID after two years with drive
you're literally and idiot user

Every WD product I've owned lasted 2 years give or take a few days.

Tfw got a Seagate, then it failed and I got a new one on 1 year warranty and then finally the new one failed outside the new warranty period. Whew Seagate absolute trash tier 100% failure rate here.

Bullshit

same experience. My WD black died when playing dota2 was still in warranty

Attached: IMG_20180331_115437-scaled.jpg (1800x1350, 935K)

My 640 GB WD black lasted me from 2010 to 2017. That's not bad but it's hard to say if it's more or less reliable than other drives. I used mine as a system drive for quite a while and then as a --write-mostly for a SSD system drive.

I have had Seagate drives fail after 2-3 months and I have had drives that I've replaced due to size alone (a 80 or 200 GB HDD doesn't make much sense today). I'd say the WD blacks are pretty average.

Attached: IMG_20180331_115437-zoomed.jpg (1235x761, 413K)

yep i am the same. I had a really bad run with seagate 2tb. but you should really throw them out like the trash they are.

Still have 4 x 500gig WD drives that have been spinning for a decade. UNCANNY

I've got a 2TB Caviar Black that I stole from work. It's worked flawlessly.

You're wrong. backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-temperature-does-it-matter/

>Is disc death a Windows only thing?
No. I don't use Windows and I've had plenty of drives fail.

>False. It's actually highly unlikely drives will fail at the same time
Oh it's absolutely not false, not always anyway. Notice how the dude you replied to wrote "All those similar drives you bought"? The Seagate ST300DM001 drives had a 40% failure rate. I made a RAID array using many of those and I had 4 of those fail within months (picture related). Your risk really is much higher if you buy a bunch of drives from the same brand from the same retailer at the same time. All drives of that model could be flawed or they could all be from a crate that fell off a truck at some point along the way. My advice: Use a mix of different brands and models; that way you're less likely to have numerous drives fail at or around the same time.

>really throw them out
Yes. But I'm not about to do that. I kind of like having a large collection of defective drives for some reason. I have opened a few and thrown everything but those amazing magnets, though. HDD magnets are like no other I know of, they are amazing.

Give it back Tyrone.

Attached: IMG_20180331_121013-scaled.jpg (1800x1350, 965K)

>mfw I've been using the same two Seagate drives for at least four years.

Attached: 1511674004459.jpg (520x678, 69K)

Just restore your backup and be done with it?

Unjinx x1000 I call no callbacks

Read again, they're talking about 60+C temperatures, that already puts them below MTBF. The sweet spot for hard drives is in the 30-40C range.
As a side note, too low temperatures can also be a cause of failure for hard drives, because of the viscousness of the fluid bearings. But we're talking about something around negative values in this case anyway.

bigger drives -> internal head has to be closer to platter to get more information in same area -> higher failure rate
less large drives don't have same failure rate. It may be more cost effective to get 8 500gb drives than to get 1 4tb drive if you count in drive failures, but im not too sure.

Thx I really miss my weird dog

Attached: 20171223_144640.jpg (3264x2448, 1.98M)

>one drive crashes
Your statistical sample is crap, and you're an idiot for thinking a particular drive can't crash just because its model is more reliable, and also for not keeping any kind of backups or RAID 1.

post your drives power on hours & start/stop count

Attached: ⁄ g ⁄  - Technology.png (488x709, 59K)

Why would you think that would happen, when the array is being checked weekly?

>Is disc death a Windows only thing?
Definitely not. Over the past 15 years I've used perhaps 20-30 different hard drives and have had 5 failures that I can count, and Windows has touched none of them.

>56 reallocated sectors on my drive

Oh boy fun times ahead

Attached: 1514794994304.jpg (632x1024, 65K)

My oldest drive is only 5 years, a wd black. I think ill replace it soon.

Attached: ss.png (597x105, 4K)