>Colors: 1.07 billion (true 10-bit)
>VESA: Yes (100x100mm)
>Local Dimming: 512-zone Direct LED
>HDR: HDR10
>A/V interface: DP 1.4
>Price: TBA ($2000~USD)
>Release date: Q4 2018 (approx)
>Note: not finalized specs
This is finally the first consumer monitor without any major drawback, sure there are monitors superior in specific use cases, but as an all rounder this is finally something that should not be regrettable as long as they sort out the niggling issues with VA.
Too bad it has been delayed twice already.

Attached: acer-ifa2017-predator-x35-2.jpg (1024x515, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hardocp.com/article/2018/03/30/amd_radeon_freesync_2_vs_nvidia_gsync
geforce.com/whats-new/articles/bfgd-big-format-gaming-display
geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017
tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/38.htm#auo_roadmap_oct17
twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/968799839143317504
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>meme curve
>meme ultrawide
Ew

>200Hz

Attached: 1463868957323.jpg (400x562, 28K)

suck my dick you cretin, you have ruined this board

It's 144hz without G-SYNC.
Unsure how high the refresh can be before the 4:4:4 is broken.
At 200hz it will probably be 4:2:2.

Curved ultrawides are no longer a meme.

>Unsure how high the refresh can be before the 4:4:4 is broken.
I believe you can get around 150-160hz assuming the hardware supports it.

That would be the max though using current displayport bandwidth of 25gbps.

they will always be a meme

If you set it to 200hz on the control panel, will it remain fixed at 4:2:2 or only when the current refresh rate is over the limit?
How would DSC affect it?

>If you set it to 200hz on the control panel, will it remain fixed at 4:2:2 or only when the current refresh rate is over the limit?
Like I said, would depend on the hardware, it could theoretically, but that doesn't mean it will in practice.

DSC requires support on both ends and i've personally never seen it in practice, so who knows.

>without any major drawback
>curved
Why, I tried it once and the shit annoyed the crap of me when doing stuff like image editing or drawing.

If you don't consider price a major drawback that is.

After all it is a rare problem to have, as this screen pushes the limit of current display interfaces, and in many games you will struggle reaching those framerates anyway.
Something better to find out upon release.

hardocp.com/article/2018/03/30/amd_radeon_freesync_2_vs_nvidia_gsync
can nvidia stop being so jewish and just use freesync?

It will all trickle down anyway.
I think similar specs are nearly on normal 27 inch 1440p IPS displays.

geforce.com/whats-new/articles/bfgd-big-format-gaming-display
They won't.

Somebody needs to assassinate nvidia real quick

geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017
They really have gone all out.
Watch this backfire somehow.

Some other stuff:
>1800R curve
>90% DCI-P3, maybe more based on the current Samsung QLED monitors being 92-96%

Holy shit yes
> Price: TBA ($2000~USD)
Holy shit no

Still, this is exactly what I've been waiting for. I might actually splurge the money for it when it does come out. Hopefully it's not £2000 here - there's always overhead but surely at that range they cane make it more sane.

it won't. shame amd doesn't have enough money to compete. they're already doing well on the CPU side but the company is many times smaller than intel or nvidia. somebody with more money needs to buy out amd's GPU division or else nvidia monopoly will actually happen.

They might build up stock and release it during a holiday period, but that is wishful thinking.
Look at the price of the Acer Predator Z35P, as that is basically a baby version of what is coming,and add a crapton on top of that.
It shouldn't be double, but it could be close.

> It shouldn't be double, but it could be close.
>£900 on amazon
>900 * 2 - "close" = £1600-1700
>$2000=£1400
If you're right, then it's not that bad. £200 overhead is pretty much expected. I just hope they don't translate the USD price 1:1 like they do sometimes

Why are you still awake it's 3am ffs

Well actually there are 144hz 4k 27 inch IPS panels coming a little sooner, somewhat better colour reproduction, but worse contrast and blacks.

>ultrameme
>va
>not even 4k, for 2000$
Literally three drawbacks to immediately throw it in le garbage. They only good thing from it that it's 10 bit.

Try the acer predator x27 or asus pg27uq.
There was a listing for the x27 on some website for 2.5k euros with a release of the 7th of April.
Besides, we are well off graphics cards driving high refresh rates on 4k with modern games at high settings.
1440p is a better balance.

Both offerings have the same screen, one looks gaudy and the other doesn't, makes the choice obvious.

Attached: Nvidia-G-SYNC-HDR.jpg (600x320, 20K)

>modern games

They both look pretty embarrassing. As if 16:9 wasn't already very large.

How does amva qd compare to ah ips?

Eh, those screens have G-Sync and if you're dumping 2500EUR on your screen for video games then 1080Ti SLI or 1080 SLI aren't much of a stretch. Plenty of lighter games can easily hit 144FPS and heavier shit should still be 60+ and pretty smooth thanks to the adaptive refresh rate.

The problem with those screens is that they can't do 144Hz at 4:4:4/RGB IIRC as they're bandwidth constrained. The exact refresh rate you can hit depends on shit like whether you're using HDR, 10b or 8b color, color format, etc.

what in the actual fuck is that
why the hell would I sit 1' away from a goddamned 65'' monitor
my fucking tv is 55''

Superior in basically every way.
AHVA-QD is also a thing now.

>without any major drawback
>curved
>21:9
>$2000... _maybe_

They are far better for professional works, but they lack size.
DP 1.5 would fix this, if they were smart these monitors would be 1.5 ready as would be the next gen graphics cards.

>DP 1.5 would fix this
Of course, but I'm pretty certain these are DP 1.4.

Money is not a drawback when looking at capability.
Curved and ultrawide is subjective, that is why the straight smaller 4k's exist with similar specs.

I know, thats why i said amva qd.

That is why I said it would be smart if they could support DP 1.5 in the future, as this would eliminate the gamma bottleneck at extreme framerates.
But of course they don't want people to know this.

curved makes no sense for a TV, but it's fantastic for something that you sit in front of in the same position at all times
ultrawide

>The problem with those screens is that they can't do 144Hz at 4:4:4/RGB IIRC as they're bandwidth constrained
3440x1440 at 168hz (24*7) is just under 25gbps.

DP 1.4 has 25.9gbps available.

Attached: 2018-03-30 23_26_57.png (699x219, 12K)

I'm talking about the 4K 144Hz HDR screens

Regardless both the 144hz 4K HDR and the 200hz 21'9 1440p HDR displays are bottlenecked.

t. 4:3 CRT is still the best display

Yes, that they are. It's honestly a pretty shitty issue to have on screens which are supposedly to be priced north of $2000. They give me the same vibe as those early 4K 60Hz displays which actually needed 2 connections: much better to wait for 2nd gen products.

I would still be fine running the ultrawide at 144hz as long as I still get G-SYNC.
The difference between 144 and 200hz is quite small.

Not 4k. My 4k tv is fine for now.

Uhh, using a 4k TV for PC usages is not smart unless you are completely avoiding games or using consoles obviously.

its been perfectly fine for me. and since i dont play twitch shooters, input lag is not a problem.

Hey I love this thread these are the panels I've been sitting for because I love ultrawide. Can't wait.

I'm literally upgrading from a 24" 1080p 60hz AH-IPS to probably the X35 when released.
I do have a 1080, but it goes from overkill to the minimum requirement.

Do these monitors come with standard vesa mounts?

They might come with a separate/detachable mounting bracket.
After all ultrawide monitors are very popular for racing rigs and the like.

I'll take what is a timezone for 200, Alex.

Reminder this was first shown off 10 months ago, surely mass production won't take too much longer.

>35 inch
>wtf is quantum dot
>21:9
>gsync
>local dimming
>$2000

this thing is garbage, mate

nothing wrong with local dimming, it's like OLED but for poor people

It's nowhere near enough zones to avoid haloing, though being VA it should be better than IPS in that regard. OTOH, it's VA, so you get crushed blacks, poor viewing angles, and worse color detail (compared to IPS).

I'd rather have some haloing instead of seeing a gray rectangle when the image was supposed to be black though

LCD panels are fucking stupid. We should be on OLED now, end of story

My 5 year old Korean IPS does 2560x1440 at 120Hz with less input lag than everything. And it cost only $300... 5 fucking years ago

For fuck sake people, stop settling for shit that is barely better than a 5 year old $300 monitor and worse, looking FORWARD to paying TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS for it!

>LCD panels are fucking stupid
agreed, too bad that OLED can't into static images
we'll end up going over OLED directly to MicroLED desktop monitors

I say they should just make the OLED component easily replaceable. Have like a panel with minimal amount of non OLED components as possible, and when you cant deal with the burn in any more, just replace the panel

If it was at least 1920x1200 at 24 inches and at least 96Hz Id happily spend a few hundred dollars every couple years putting in a fresh OLED panel to have an amazing display that puts everyone elses LCD based setups to shame

Compared to what, may I ask?
Also, how the hell do you now know about quantum dot filtering?
It is how Samsung can get so close to OLED whilst not having burn-in or pixel fade.
I mean, it is proper HDR10, and true 10 bit colour on a high refresh rate monitor.
There is no comparison on the market.

Yeah, said IPS also probably has like 90% sRGB.
Not to mention 7ms GtG or worse.
VA isn't much worse than IPS on colour detail especially now, and the viewing angle shift is a non factor if viewed head on.
The far better contrast and slightly better response times make it overall at least on par.
The main issue with VA is ghosting.

Considering how Windows works, you would quickly have burn in with the taskbar and would basically need new software to try to shift images around often enough.
On a computer an OLED screen could only last like 2 years, tops.
Not to mention that yields on larger OLED displays will never be as good as LCD's.

Basically MicroLED is indeed the best thing we have, but streamlining production and increasing ppi is going to take probably another 5 years minimum until monitors get it.

>Yeah, said IPS also probably has like 90% sRGB.
>Not to mention 7ms GtG or worse.
dude, the color is better than any other monitor ive seen and i dont give a fuck about the gtg speed, the thing has less than 7ms input lag and runs at 120hz

fuck youre autistic

>windows

A 5 year old, $300 120hz 1440p IPS at best is 100% sRGB.
Still a good monitor you have there.
But compared to ~95% DCI-P3 it isn't that flash.
Sure it is expensive, but it could very well be cheaper, and of course not everyone is going to like curved ultrawides.
I'm using IPS right now, it is nice but there is certainly better to look out for.

>implying that wasn't an example and that it wouldn't apply to nearly any OS
>implying blatantly hating on le popular and highly compatible OS isn't sheer Jow Forums contrarianism deeply rooted in your head

>implying I can't easily customize my linux gui anyway i want it, including making it oled friendly

>implying windows isnt garbage

>implying most people would find linux more useful
Sure you can make it OLED friendly, but that is not going to be as optimal, trying to cover for a flawed display isn't good enough.
And Windows is garbage, but there are enough workarounds that it is useable.
One thing is that Linux isn't anti consumer, that is a great advantage.
But there simply isn't enough support for all the things Iuse and I'm not going to autisically dual boot.
I'll continue being a pleb.

tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/38.htm#auo_roadmap_oct17
Good things are coming.

QDCF will be the next major improvement to both LCD and OLED until microLED is feasible for monitors and TVs.

>dont try to cover up for a flawed display which is actually the best display tech in existence
>instead cover up the flaws of an awful operating system

youre autistic in all the bad ways and none of the good ways

This does beg the question.
How come monitors are always lagging behind TV's on panel technology?
In what ways are monitors actually superior to TV's?

I would only buy OLED if I had enough disposable income to not give a damn about burn-in.
OLED remains best on smartphones, which is where they belong.

The TV market is higher volume and higher margin, especially at the high end. Plenty of people will spend $1k+ on a TV, but few would spend that much on a monitor. The TV is going to be twice the size, so people are maybe more willing to pay more for bigger, but manufacturing costs don't scale like that.

Monitors are better if you need gaming features like G-Sync, 144hz+, or are doing color critical work. You also can't really get decent TVs at monitor sizes these days.

Thats a pretty good monitor - looking at my monitor bulk sales place only a fifth of monitors have >60Hz even now. Something went wrong desu, the prices are good though.

4K or 21:9 1440p?

>Not 3840 x 2160
>No major drawback
Good joke
Also
>2000 €

There is a 27 inch 144hz 4K IPS with similar specs otherwise.
If you have PPI issues with a 1440p monitor then you are sitting too close.
Not to mention even an ultrawide 1440p is like 30% easier to run than 4K.

I know, its not on the market and costs 2500 €. I didn't win in a lottery unfortunately. Also, even if I were rich, who could drive 4K144 unless he got a prototype 3nm GPU from NVIDIA in SLI?

I bought a 4K60 screen with Gsync in 2015, it was horrible in the beginning, but definitely worth. I'll use it at least until 2020, upgrade the GPU, then think of a new screen. I pay max 1000 € for something that lasts 10 years. My 1080 Ti barely handles 60 FPS.

These monitors are serious future-proofs, it is smarter to wait for similar monitors at a time when GPU's can run them effectively off a single card.
twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/968799839143317504
Regardless, these monitors are like 6 months away still.

Yes and not affordable, there is no reason to buy these now. They will probably cost 600-1000 in 3 years when 4K becomes the new mainstream. 1440p was always a solution in between, but I wanted to future proof. 4K60 is still enthusiast tier and only works with the biggest GPU if you play AAA titles.

It literally is though, 16:9 is a shit aspect ratio

I explicitly stated I was in the UK so he's not wrong

Friday evening and I have nothing planned on Saturday. Good morning by the way, I just woke up.

> These monitors are serious future-proofs
Running TF2 at 200Hz UWQHD is plenty possible on my 1070. Running Witcher or modded Skyrim on a UWQHD, true 10-bit HDR at more than playable framerates should also be possible. Then there's the multitasking capability - I can keep maybe 3-4 files open and tiled at once on my 1080p, imagine the possibilities with this new monitor; while the colours will be a gigantic step-up from my 5 year old gaming TN.
In other words, there's plenty of reasons to use one right now, and I don't even have a 1080.

So how long until these become cheaper and better? Reminder that the 100Hz version came out a few years ago, and hasn't really dropped in price much, if at all, since then. Comparing this to the 4k boom is all well and good, but there's a wide variety of different 4k panels, with good and bad ones, and including a huge market in TVs, and a lot of competition. These panels by definition can't have much variety because we're talking about a very precisely defined set of specs, and they're being produced by one single manufacturer with no competition on the horizon, as well as a relatively niche market (only monitors, and then only very high-end monitors, and then only very high-end monitors with an emphasis on gaming).

In other words, I highly doubt anything will change 6 months after release, or a year, or 2 years. Beyond that point we might start getting close to MicroLEDs, and things could start changing, but even so I don't anticipate a price drop for this monitor nor MicroLED competitors being market ready with similar tier of specs for at least 5-6 more years at the earliest. Another new technology might emerge, but short of a miracle that's going to take even longer to reach the markets.

TL;DR: is there any reason to believe that these panels will become any cheaper and/or better within 2-3 years, and hold off on buying the one in the OP due to that belief?

Holding off for 2 years it's possible you might see about 100-200$ price reduction as with many of the current ultrawide panels and high end monitor panels. 3 years probably not because as of this year the Acer predator x34 will be 3 years old and it's not ever below 1000; floating somewhere between 1000 and 1200. In the case of display technology, unless you're buying used, current panels don't tend to get cheaper until they're about 5-6 years old. Look at the first LED 144hz panels only now getting cheaper. So if you want to be like everyone on here who rides the JUST WAIT train all day go ahead. I've been putting aside the money for one of these since it got announced, assuming a 2k price tag, and will be buying it a 6 month to a year after release in case there are any minor revisions.

> and will be buying it a 6 month to a year after release in case there are any minor revisions.
Yeah that honestly seems like the best course of action to me. I'll probably do the same.