Could it be that despite higher rez, displays actually get worse?

Attached: tft_shit.jpg (327x154, 2K)

>have NEC Multisync 2070NX
>Made in Japan, 2005
>20", 1600x1200 IPS, beautiful colors and crisp contrasts
>wide as fuck viewing angles
>no light bleeding shit

>decide it's time for an upgrade
>look at all the current displays
>they ALL have worse viewing angles and blacks aren't as dark
>even the ones above $500
>they also tend to flicker at 144hz or even lower when set to lower than 100% brightness

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK.
That shit actually makes me keep using my 2005 monitor until something changes. This is disgusting.

Attached: 2070.jpg (188x225, 4K)

Technology isn’t a linear progression. In many ways we have been going backwards thanks to the likes of Samsung, Apple, and Intel. American capitalism has been one step forward ten steps back for the world since the financial crisis.

We have hit plateaus in many areas involving displays and image capture(digital video/photo) that more megapixels cannot fix. It’s been nothing but diminished marginal returns for years now in the areas of displays, mobile tech, image capture, data transmission, x86-64 processing, et al with corporate forces often trying to (((innovate))) through the sheer power of (((marketing))).

If you were in a coma since 2014 you wouldn’t have missed anything in the world of tech. I doubt anything will change until past 2020 besides (((diversity))).

Welcome to hell.

NEC still have outstanding monitors... for outstanding prices. My first PC was a NEC and it’s understandable why companies favor this brand for advertising displays.

I forgot the name but there's an ADDITIONAL polarization filter layer that they put on TFT displays back then but they stopped putting that layer on for some reason a couple years ago.
Probably think the viewing angles got good enough, to cut costs and to get MOAR BRIGHTNESS even though at 100% most displays fucking melt your face already.

really makes you think how literally now one sees it as dangerous that most tech almost exclusively comes from one spot.
not long ago we had made in usa, japan, germany, uk etc etc.
good luck if they fuck it up with china

OLED displays have made huge advancements in power usage. Plenty of exciting shit going on.

I'm rather excited for the OLED successor though that is in heavy development currently.
OLED's are flawed and can't wait for them to fuck off.

What OLED successor? Source?

micro led google it

This guy knows.
MicroLED also lets you make displays in literally every shape and size, is even more efficient and brighter and the blue doesn't fade so quickly as it did with OLED.
Only problem currently is that it's fuck expensive to produce.

So... an LED tv except that it's actually LEDs and not an LCD with LED backlight. Conventional GaN LEDs instead of organic molecule based. Why have they not come up with this before? What's holding it back?

>an LED tv except that it's actually LEDs and not an LCD with LED backlight
They don't have actual OLED tvs? wtf

You know what I meant.

Attached: really now.jpg (228x221, 6K)

>Why have they not come up with this before?
I wondered exactly the same.
Also
>MICRO LED

Most creative tech name ever

Sounds like you might just a peasant. However, excellent color is still a trade off for speed with LCDs. The new NEC PA322UHD has better color than your fluorescent backlit 2005 monitor:

> 31.5" 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 (140ppi) IGZO IPS Panel (10ms response)
> provides 99.2% coverage of the Adobe RGB color space
> Viewing Angle (typical) 176° Vert., 176° Hor.
> Displayable Colors 1.07 billion (14bit LUT)

Or just pick up an Eizo CG3145
> 31.1" True DCI-4K resolution of 4096×2160 (149ppi) HDR IPS Panel (9ms resp)
> provides 99.3% coverage of the Adobe RGB color space
> Viewing Angle (typical) 178° Vert., 178° Hor.
> 4.3 Trillion colors (24bit LUT)

Every time a new technology comes out, there are implementation challenges that haven't been overcome. This is natural, things get more complicated the more features you try to pack into them. This is especially the case with monitors as you get a geometric growth with the number of pixels without even considering the extra features people want from their displays. Given time, they'll overcome the challenges and master what can be done with this tech.

In short, don't buy early adopter shit if what you want is the best refined experience.

Those monitors are absolute SEX but it's kinda sad that you have to come up with monsters like these to beat a 2005 monitor.

>In short, don't buy early adopter shit if what you want is the best refined experience.
The FUCK are you supposed to do if they don't let tech fucking mature nowadays? Before something gets actually good it gets succeeded by something new of which implementation is SHIT AGAIN. It's a vicious cycle.

What tech in particular are you referring to?

not with microled coming

sure it might be a few years before they start getting produced for things that matter but still

It comes with the dumb retards touting IPS as "the best" resolution as "the best"

So the chinks flood the market with cheap ass shitting light bleed out the wazoo IPS panels with Full HD or higher resolution so the dumb fuckers lap it up just because it's technically "IPS" and "High Res"

Patents, stocks and milking out all they infrastructure of """""current"""""" tech, before investing in something new, especially since there is no actual pressure to innovate.

IPS still is the lesser evil though.

I have an LG LCD screen probably from the late 00's and it's starting to give out, can anyone recommend me something like ?

IPS light bleed is angle dependent, so a manlet 20" screen won't show it until you stick your nose right in it while a modern decent size (~30"+) one will at greater viewing distances.

>I forgot the name but there's an ADDITIONAL polarization filter layer that they put on TFT displays back then but they stopped putting that layer on for some reason a couple years ago.
you're probably thinking of A-TW (advanced true white I think?) polarization layers, but I think those are an instead-of, not in-addition-to, thing.

Just because you don't see the advancement, it doesn't mean they aren't there. Every day, the tech you think have stalled are in fact made better by making it smaller, thinner and more importantly, more energy efficient when it comes to its hardware. As for the software, it is becoming more complex by the day. You might think that your phone or camera hasn't changed, but it definitely has. Just because both cameras from 2014 and 2018 have say 15 megapixels, it doesn't mean they are anywhere near the same in term of power usage, size, software and capabilities.

>being this retarded.

I feel you, man. I'm stuck with old as fuck Eizo S2231W with nearly 45,000 (!) hours worked as my primary display. S-PVA based with CCFL backlight (which holds surprisingly well, BTW, I barely ever need to go above 35% brightness after all these years). Very accurate color reproduction (for an office-tier display at least), outstanding uniformity, deeps as fuck blacks, 16:10. I've been wanting to upgrade for years, but every model I look at that isn't in the pro segment (Eizo CS/CX/CG or NEC PA) is fucking shit these days. Bleeding, silvering, low contrast, W-LED-backlit, PWM flickering shit. What the hell?

>not using a 1080p 144hz CRT monitor

> 160+ kHz h-sync CRT

ITT: things that never existed

my dad had some old CRT repair equipment so I overclocked my PVM

I like my sharp gen10 10Bit panel which I believe are MVAs