Goodbye Linux: Why am ditching linux and going back to Windows 10

Pic related.

Attached: goodbye-linux.png (697x1573, 182K)

The only reason I dropped it is because I started to rice and visually upgrade everything instead of working. You become obsessed with terminal, updates, fonts and shit

I feel you. Today I ditched my Linux for windows 10 after using every distro and all of them were broken in one way or another. The thing that did it for me yesterday was disappearing system tray on gnome + lack of hardware acceleration in Chrome.

Attached: tldr.jpg (200x255, 14K)

the only reason I have ever used linux was because my pc was too shitty to run windows. now I have a new pc.

Shills are doing overtime. saged, fucking useless mods.

>my "respect for Microsoft" and Windows 10 has increased by a 1000 times.
What kind of bait is this......

I've been on GNU/Linux for almost three years now and have never fell into this trap.

feels good not having windows on this machine.

>mfw only three non-free packages installed on machine, two are intel microcode and the other is virtualbox

t. microsoft employee that didn't meet their user private information quota for the month

You should try KVM-based virtualization. It’s much better performance-wise and is built into the kernel

what was the actual complaint about xfce?

it's written right there

what if...
...installing unsupported software in ubuntu was as easy as it was in windows.

>s-save me mods
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I find it really odd he was too lazy to configure GNOME or a tiling WM but has the motivation to right this essay.

>Thanks, but no thanks. It's 2018, not 1998.
Epic argument. Gotem.

Good. Stay on your windows containment OS faggots.

If it was valuable it wouldn't be free.

You eventually get bored of ricing and install a DE and do some minimal tweaks to get it how you like it.

So
>windows vs package manager repo
>muh use latest version on win7 without upgrading to win10
>I refuse to use a rolling release because muh probability of bugs, while using most windows systems without finding a bug every day is practically impossible
>win10 is very secure, if you dont download viruses
Aka
>win10 is very secure, if you somehow dont get hit by a flavor of the week virus, who's hashes haven't made it into win defenders database yet (like wannacry)
Also on a sidenote
>needing an antivirus
Now
>atrocious desktop environments
>GNOME
ok
>kde
still some bugs here and there, most are fixed
>xfce
Perfectly fine except of some bugs
>cinnamon/mate
never used, dont have an opinion
>tiling wm are unusable for normies
Cant argue
>hypocrisy of the community by people that use GNOME (granted, that's the majority of people on linux, but that's only because the majority of users run some Ubuntu and those users barely ever get even near a forum)
>muh apps dont come with everything preconfigured so I dont have control
?
>arrogance of GNOME devs
I dont know what GNOME is or does, sorry
On the other hand, compare your basic XFCE or KDE dev on any help forum, to windows support
>compare windows from 2002 to linux from 2017
Im pretty sure that most people are perfectly fine with windows 1998-windows 7 and just hate on win8+
>atrocious softwares
>libreoffice vs word
Granted, if you dont use latex and youre a normie its probably weaker than word is. Its also at least half its size.
>gimp vs photoshop
Have used both (love using gimp, but made posters etc for years prior on Photoshop) so unless youre a VERY specific kind of person, (while the rest of this article talks about non-devs non-geeks) then probably it doesnt matter at all since both do the same kind of basic things albeit kinda differently
>hardware support better on windows
Sure, after you MANUALLY find and download ETHERNET drivers from another computer, especially on 15 yo hardware whose support isnt dropped

Whether he's right or wrong in his reasoning doesn't really matter, this is still why Linux has a 1% marketshare on the desktop.

>1) Windows vs Package Manager Repo system
I have to agree with this. I hope Ubuntu starts replacing most of its software with Snaps in the near future.

Fuck off, M$ shills.

>sage goes in all fields

linux is just a toy project of an autistic faggot

I prefer win7, but essentially I feel the same way. Shame because I really like the "idea" of linux if you know what I mean. Alack I simply don't have the time to get the OS to functional point for my work, and absolutely nowhere near where I want it aesthetically. And the lack of standardization wrt programs and their config file drives me up the wall. It's like there's always something new to master before you can start fucking working.

Attached: 1521599736154.jpg (463x810, 46K)

Go to bed grampa

>ubuntu == linux
cool meme bro

Attached: file.jpg (596x505, 84K)

Dumbest shit I've read all day, Microsoft should get their money back for that pathetic shilling

I get the impression that Linux users don't actually care, and in fact relish the obscurity of their system. If they did, one would expect them to perhaps re-evaluate their philosophies given the lack of wider adoption.

Good. You should stay in windows.

>I get the impression that Linux users don't actually care
Correct. As long as the system works and is useful for my workflow, I give no shits about its popularity.

>and in fact relish the obscurity of their system
Incorrect. This literally only applies to edgy teens, and they're like that about everything, not just operating systems.

>one would expect them to perhaps re-evaluate their philosophies given the lack of wider adoption.
Ad populum. Should I also reevaluate my musical tastes because I don't listen to rap/pop?

Jow Forums shows really well the sickening hypocrisy of the community

>claiming Ad populum.

Read the context of the original post. It has to due with the low adoption rate. If they were interested in higher adoption then they would re-evaluate decisions given the low uptake. The predicate is important here.

This. It's almost like a large group of people inevitably grows to hold contradicting opinions at some point. What a bunch of hypocritical faggots.

Attached: file.png (600x600, 57K)

It's just shills hard at work, nothing to see, move along.

bye felicia

ITT: OP is a fag

>Ubuntu 16.04 or 14.04
>complains software is outdated
>refuses to use distro with newer software
retarded

>Soyboy has shit views

What a surprise.

>If they were interested in higher adoption
which itself is already a dubious premise. The vast majority of Linux users are only marginally interested in wider adoption because it'd incentivize more companies to provide Linux support. But honestly, even that's not as big of a deal as it used to be some years ago, because of all the improvements in virtualization these days, and the plentiful amount of hardware that just werks out of the box now.

>Mobile phones are computers (fuck you Apple shut up)
>Majority of mobile phone uses Android
>Android is based on linux
>There's more mobile phones today than any other type of computers
Linux is alive and well

this

you forgot the most important piece of information: backed by google.
linux is shit by itself.

>which itself is already a dubious premise
Yes, absolutely agreed, in fact that was the purpose of the first post, to argue they likely were not interested in wider adoption by the contrapositive.

$0.02 has been deposited in your account

I riced for a while until I settled on a setup. Litreally haven't touched my dotfiles in months.
Awesome WM on Void.

Learn some proper English, why don't you?

i use lubuntu 14.04 and the blender 2.8 alpha build. you can run the latest versions too.

>I'm a normie and I don't like computers, because they scare me, so I use least potent, but easiest approaches.
The post

I'm afraid of GNU as I am afraid to DIY some circuit breakers in my apartment, as that is essentially how one approaches this OS.

This is an argument against linux, but a non-argument for win10.
Nice try, shill.

With Google losing to Oracle over Java switch to Fuchsia is inevitable. I know that kernel is separated from JVM, but the point is that they're going to replace everything with in-house projects to avoid such kind of sutuations again.

>one can electrocute you
>the other can meme you to death
seems about right.

What prompted you to even try it in the first place then? It's not exactly something users outside of Jow Forums typically try to shill to normies for no specific reason.

I personally only ever recommend it to people whose computers are either old as shit and stopped getting updates ages ago, or who's windows 10 updates keep breaking basic functionality (which is getting increasingly common in my experience).

The kernel is fine but the operating systems that phones run it on butcher the idea of FOSS completely and humiliate it.

Fuck no. Be a boring user and take less than an hour customizing colors and/or adding a theme or two like Arc Darker. That's it, I don't know why would you install Linux for that shit when you can rice in Wangblows as well.

I've been running windows 7 almost non stop since it came out. Decided to switch so as to quit videogames.
Turns out the out of the box experience is pic related.

Attached: ae3eb96cbd44b021f15a54857f91f026.jpg (306x350, 22K)

Attached: bd8.png (1190x906, 178K)

>Windows 10
Just ditch m$ already. You should have done it the moment they unveiled that 10 abomination and announced the dropped support dates.

DELETE THIS

Attached: crocker2007.jpg (500x415, 24K)

>retards sperging and arguing against a screenshot taken from reddit
The fucking state of you lot

Actually, Chrome OS has ~3.5% and GNU/Linux has ~1.5%, so Linux has ~5% market share on desktop/laptop.

Windows is going downhill fast.

Just remember that Windows 10 will read through all your text files and images to create a profile of you and will possibly ban you from their services if it decides that you are too politically incorrect.

Jow Forums ABSOLUTELY BTFO

That percentage is increasing and it has dominated every other market.

Attached: 1497430342962.png (1682x607, 140K)

I agree that for most people windows is vastly superior than loonix
But this post is hypocritical bait

Biggest reason on why I ditched Linux was the constant dick sucking by turbo neets without engineering experience defending the smallest shit (eg systemd vs initd, function names, etc). It was awful.

To be fair, anything is going to be a downgrade when moving from windows 7 for most people. Windows 10 is noticeably being held together by nothing more than toothpicks and bubblegum, and mac OS has been on a downward spiral since 2011.

Linux isn't super polished, but most of it's "issues" are usually due to lack of familiarity and misplaced expectations. Much can be remedied through things like open source alternatives or virtualization/wine, but your average user isn't gonna know what any of that is of course, much less how to set it all up. Once you /do/ know about that stuff and how to set it up though, it often has a lot fewer surprises than other OSes. But until then, for your average user it's just gonna be like a soccer mom trying to maintain a muscle car.

>go to website
>download .deb file
>install

Sage

The problem is, by default, linux expects you to be majoring in computer science and hands you the keys to the town hall. In Wine alone, there are a hundred customizable options, none of which are words you would normally meet in Windows.
>Let's see, Oblivion is a pretty old game, do I want the 3D encapsulated hypervisor or the polymorphic BBC encabulator

That's a sign you should be moving over to the saner, less chaotic world of OpenBSD/DragonflyBSD user. Less support, but also exponentially less bullshit.

Attached: file.png (765x768, 408K)

yeah, that's why I said
>for your average user it's just gonna be like a soccer mom trying to maintain a muscle car.

Linux is a power tool, so take it for what it is. Nobody would expect you to operate heavy machinery without proper training either. "With great power comes great responsibility" and all that jazz.

I mean, it's not rocket surgery, the learning curve is a lot shallower than it first seems, but it's definitely not a casual appliance either.

The biggest migration problem I think is that people are stuck in the windows mentality, where they look for a GUI solution to every problem. Then they don't find one on linux and cry and go back to Windows.
"Wah I can't find files"
find ./ -iname "*something*"

"Moving large files crashes"
rsync -a --stats --progress A B

"No proper X software"
propersoftware -options X

"But I want to the whole folder!"
for file in *.ext; do
do thing to $file
fi

It's just a complete misunderstanding about how linux is used. Of course there aren't replacements, because on Linux you don't need to use that software since the functionality is built in.

This, retarded linux fags blown the fuck out

True as fuck, and people ranting about cherry picked parts of this image like
prove it. I tried using Linux at home but random, little bugs that happen just like that, after repairing them I just felt it's a waste of my private time. I never had af many problem with windows past XP as with Linux last 3 years. Currently I just run minimalist distros in VM if required.
If anyone cares about my occupation I'm a C++ developer for a large bank.

Everything you described there can be done in command line on windows as well. All you're proving is you people are stuck in stone age and can't design good graphic equivalents to save a life.

That only harms the gnu community in the sense that, the less lucrative the OS is, the fewer people will use it, the fewer people will contribute, and the less support there will be.
If GNU/Linux ever wants to become a choice for home users, developers need to step up their game.

You must be legitimately retarded if you think people using crazy, custom versions of Linux /Unix in professional environments indicate that your autistic sandbox desktop distribution is good or relevant at all.

technology is supposed to make life easier. Installing linux instead of windows or macOS does not make life easier because it is not as user friendly. Most people who use linux willingly have a purpose or curiosity. The average consumer will not even try it because its not for them(learning curve, lack of good software), the community is not for them (hostile), and the devs dont work to make it for average joes(not user friendly system/buggy). This is why the market share is low. Theres nothing wrong with linux but for the average joe who uses his computer as a facebook machine... why give him superuser power? for what? linux is not for them and it shouldnt

Decent rant, pic is another one.

I hate MS and Windows 10 is an abomination, but there's a reason Windows has no real alternatives (besides Mac): making a desktop OS that just werks is hard, really really hard. Which also means it's expensive and you better have a good business plan.

Until the open source community admits this and starts working on some common long term goals and strategies nothing will change and we'll still be stuck with this Microshit garbage 30 years from now.

Attached: nex.png (714x1016, 90K)

Attached: 1469252717282.png (1300x4704, 1.14M)

Attached: 1477654774463.png (1535x2638, 3.19M)

Attached: 1503445720278.png (807x6544, 1.7M)

Attached: 1521238064541.png (988x596, 100K)

>sickening hypocrisy = benign hypocrisy of strawmen

Attached: 1521727584131.png (845x446, 73K)

>windows do NOT force upgrades in the middle of work
well it must be easy to make a case for windows if you outright lie.

Attached: 1521742690424.png (841x724, 520K)

Attached: d5uneIz.png (518x517, 23K)

t. Trap wearing skirts with long stocks while writing into terminal
>cd
>ls
>cd..

Fuck off nerd

This is what they call a Gish Gallop OP. It's so much dumb fake bullshit in one go that it's hard to argue with.

>cd..

This has to be a troll. It would be one thing if they said that they were going back to Windows 7/8, but I don't believe that anyone would actually believe Windows 10 would better than Linux.

the real world doesn't work like that user. Shit doesn't live or die based entirely on mass market adoption. Just look at Space X as a trivial example, would you say they'll fail as a company if space ships don't suddenly gain mass adoption by everyday people? Because I'd sure hope not.

Linux is a niche product with a niche audience, and it's audience will keep it alive so long as that niche exists. Not everyone plays musical instruments nor uses heavy machinery like jackhammers and bulldozers, but the companies that manufacture those are likely gonna be around for a good while because those companies fill a niche. The interests of 'the average person' just aren't very relevant to the longevity of such things. They're largely self-contained ecosystems.

You don't have the 15 minutes it takes for Ubuntu, but have the 6+ hours it takes for Windows?

That's all Jow Forums is, a breeding ground for astroturfing shills to practice. Like MacBooks? The mactoddler dudes will come out in full force and shitpost. Like Android? Lagdroid shills come pouring out with memes. Like Windows, Linux? Same. It's impossible to have actual intelligent conversations here because of shills.

>implying GUIs are an actual improvement over text interfaces for everything
Also, if windows' command line and gui utilities were so good, Microsoft wouldn't have bothered to go through the Herculean task of implementing WSL.

>macOS has been in a downward spiral since 2011

[citation needed]

Snow Leopard was the last decent release. Lion was bloat, started the introducing iOS bullshit into the desktop, and had lower performance. And each subsequent release continued down that path, becoming slower on the same hardware, more bloated, and having even more iOS shit in it.

Hell, apple doesn't even have a dedicated OS X team anymore, it got taken over by the iOS devs internally, and I'm sure that had a lot to do with the downright retarded ass bugs that started showing up in High Shit-tier-a.

t. former IT guy at an all-mac office since 2008, and current user of all 3 major operating systems equally.

Bye!

Is Microsoft that desperate?