/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

>for Linux or Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends creating their own threads with >previous

>irc
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=sqt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/sqt

Attached: 1522279325791s.jpg (250x166, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ghostbin.com/paste/r68wk
amazon.com/Toshiba-Desktop-7200rpm-Internal-Drive/dp/B013JPLOQQ
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

my what a nice overlay you have there

How do I wink at someone without looking like an awkward dipshit?

Im a total beginner programmer and was thinking of making a hackerrank account just for the practice problems. The problem is i know ill fail a ton of them. Will this bite me in the ass in a few years when i want a job? Should i make a throwaway account?

Dont

How well does HEVC encoding scale? Would I be better off using 32-48 Opteron cores or ~16 Xeon cores?

What are the best ways to ensure a webcam is secure if it cannot be unplugged?

Qbittorrent stopped working (as in the program just appears as "Stopped responding") from one day to the next, decided to reinstall, then ditched for all the other popular torrent clients and in the end discovered there was something wrong on my end as all were similarly fucked. Checked the error dump and got this: ghostbin.com/paste/r68wk
Now I don't really have experience with debugging at all but what I can get from that is that somehow libtorrent got fucked? Now how do I unfuck myself?

Attached: 1521682688929.png (1920x1080, 1.97M)

I need some help.
I ran an automated task that basically involved running "scp" on my server to copy many 5 megabyte files from my server to my server at home. This procedure only called like maybe a dozen times over the span of 30 minutes. Now I cant seem to connect to my server from my home at all anymore. No firewall rules, nothing in journalctl. and the tracert seems to be disabled too i think. I have no idea whats oging on but basically how can I tell if my server has blocked me? I have full root access and i cant even so much as ping it. a traceroute from my home to my server seems to go up 14 hops before doing a bunch of request time-outs.
a traceroute from my server to me seems to stop at the first step (host.colocrossing.com) before just showing asterisks. for each hop.

Is this a sign that my vps provider seems to have just blocked my home server?

Electrical tape.

did you fail2ban yourself?

I thought i might have too. but i checked both fail2bans and they are all clean. ip tables are clean too.
For sure not banned. I have to ssh one of my other servers and use that to get into my server since i cant directly connect anymore.
pls help

practice in front of a mirror

I have several email accounts that I'd like to manage over the command line. IMAP, POP3, whatever.

What I get so far is that it's a pain in the ass, since mail clients assume that your unix user is also your mail username.

At the moment I'm considering using an IMAP cacher and using Sup or something to just read the downloaded emails.

pls help

amazon.com/Toshiba-Desktop-7200rpm-Internal-Drive/dp/B013JPLOQQ
Are Toshiba drives any good? Is this a good deal? I'm needing a new hard drive.

Got a 3tb toshiba now. Been serving me well. Word on the street is that they're just rebranded WD drives or something.

Weird question:

Since W10 1803 is coming out just in about 2 weeks (as far as I understand), but I'm doing a clean install of 10 right now, should I go look for the RTM build somewhere or just install 1709? To my experience everytime there's a feature update, upgrades from one version to another are usually much more unstable and prone to fuck up than clean installs, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to install 1709 and then upgrade to 1803. However I'm not sure either that a newer build will be even upgradeable to the ""stable"" release when it comes out in a few.

Mullvad or PIA for torrenting?

Sounds good. Thanks.

My friend's laptop's HDD probably crashed, saying something like "cannot find system boot disk" at startup. I looked up the laptop's specs and it appears to have an SSD.
But...do/can SSD drives crash?

I'm guessing that recovering data from the SSD would be similar to a crashed HDD, i.e. place it in an external enclosure or use a live CD/USB-drive and see what's there to recover?

Attached: 1521840361262.jpg (264x292, 28K)

MPD+MPC has started to fuck up for some reason. I cant start music if my audio output is set to spdif. if i do i get no audio. But if i instead set my output to my headphone jack, and then switch to spdif i can hear the music again.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Attached: dk1EmLu.png (560x292, 2K)

So I drunkenly opened some .rtf file off some omega link - was a novel. What are the chances i got a rat in my ass? Online virus scanner says all is good, malwarebytes and microsoft say the same. Am I getting paranoid?
Also how do i proceed if i got btfo'd?

Mega*

Why shouldn't I burn my backups onto bluray discs? It seems like it would be a great way to save my old photos and such.

Need to replace my 6P, battery life is unacceptable.
I kind of want a slightly smaller phone that won't cost me a kidney but I don't want to give up the AMOLED screen and the good camera.
Would it be stupid to buy now the S8? Or is there any other phone I should look into?

Attached: nexus-6p-1.jpg (770x433, 63K)

Never mind, I found out they can fail and data recovery is apparently even harder to nearly impossible for SSDs.

I'm making block diagrams with inkscape
I use the a grid and snap to grid.
Is there a way so that the end of the arrow snaps to the rectangle instead of the line of the connector which ends with an arrow?

Attached: arrow.png (811x547, 15K)

I updated Firefox but some of my addons are not compatible with it. How can I go back to the old version?

How can I find out what the native resolution of an image in a PDF is, and extract said image at it's original resolution/quality without added arifacts/compressioon etc?

picture unrelated

Attached: Wiki_Loves_Pyramids_-_Teotihuacan_-_Palace_of_Quetzalpapalotl_-_05.jpg (3995x2008, 1.57M)

I just deleted an encripted virtualbox drive from the folder. Is it really gone or it's just hidden eating space?. I don't remember where, but i heard that you need to delete the drive directly from virtualbox if you wanted to delete it safely.

Attached: 1513473973330.gif (288x389, 1.91M)

Is it true you can upgrade from Windows 10 home to windows 10 pro without actually reinstalling the OS?

I have three devices connected to a WiFi router. Device 1 is running a tcp client talking to a TCP server on Device 2. Can Device 3 see or intercept any data between Device 1/2 without physical access to Device 1, 2, or the router?

I have a photo that looks good in thumbnail but when I open it it's just one solid color.

Is it corrupt? Didn't really expect this to happen on an SSD. Oops.

What data can be recovered from a new hard drive?

One of these just died on me kind of, I don't have the tools to fix it and someone else is at fault for it breaking.
Where do I go from here? Its not like they make these anymore and getting the same old outdated thing seems like a bad idea.

Attached: Shield.jpg (500x432, 31K)

Yes, just need to put in the new license key.

It can be intercepted and decrypted assuming device 3 has the WPA/WPA2 passkey, and saw one of the other devices joining the network.

Could be, firstly I'd try different viewer software. May be corrupted from the camera/during transfer, the thumbnail is often stored separately.

New as in just got the drive from a store? There's nothing interesting on it.

Died in what way?

Brand new hard drives don't contain anything, and even if they did at some point (i.e. leftovers from factory QA), it's all been properly formatted.

Are MX Red and MX Red Silent different switches or is it just a matter or terminology?

There's no reason not to, provided you store the disks properly, away from excessive heat and sunlight. I'd use this method alongside occasional dumps on Backblaze or Amazon Glacier, just to make sure I can still recover shit if the blurays get destroyed.

>Died in what way?
The screen is all grey now.
The device was shaken up in a bad manner and still works if connected through the HDMI port but it won't show anything on its own.

Yes, Device 3 has the wifi password.
Would the same issue be present if device 1 was talking to an external TCP server and the external TCP server relayed it to device 2? How do I prevent device 3 from seeing traffic on devices 1&2

Then why does data recovery software come up with weird images after scraping?

Either I installed bloatware or is it just a problem with data recovery?

Yep pretty much.
You shouldn't be relying on one single drive for your storage. Very bad.

It's still there, but as you use your computer that space will get written over. You could do a full disk wipe to really delete your Tor CP VM, but chances are it's fine.

LaTeX:
\begin{quote}
\begin{onehalfspace}
\footnotesize
some\\
dumb\\
shit.
\end{onehalfspace}
translation of some dumb shit.
\end{quote}
produces a big space between the two paragraphs. I'm not really familiar with the syntax, maybe there's a better way to achieve that?

It is possible to connect one of these external hhdd with rj45 to a network and to a usb at the same time?

Since my tv codec support is pretty good I want to have a network harddrive where I can move any files from any of my home computers and have it allways connected to my tv via usb.

TLDR: I want to link it to my home router and to my tv(via usb) at the same time.

Attached: $_58[1].jpg (640x425, 20K)

Does your TV only support USB connections?

hdmi also, but I really wanted to avoid any other devices and remote controls.
the build in file explorer and reproducer of my tv is fine.

Was it a new HDD or refurbished? If you use something like DBAN for formatting it, there won't be anything left to (reliably) recover.

I'd recommend splashing some cash and building a NAS/home theatre PC. That way it can run video straight to the TV, and have all your networked storage as well.

nvm, fixed

Is there is some minimalistic NAS solution? what I normaly do is just move some video files to a usb drive and hook it to the tv.
I really don't care about runing apps, games or streaming.

New

I tried it on refurbished drives and images that weren't on my PC came up

Anything that you can put drives into and can play 1080p video with HDMI output will do.

What's the worst can happen if I buy a secondhand GPU?

Attached: 1497892464783.jpg (500x432, 37K)

It dies and you can't RMA it.

I mean besides dying. Surely people won't sell a dead card without some notes/informed it beforehand, right?

If it's DoA go through ebay. Generally paypal will require you send it back, and that's generally the worst the seller can do to you.

Interesting. What sort of stuff did you find on this one? Just curious, you don't have to post anything here.

text files, bin files and jpegs

What light mail client do people use
Used to use my phone but I temporarily misplaced it and it's very annoying now

Check the SMART data, see whether looks brand new there. Total hours, start/stop count etc.

Thunderbird, but it can get slow if you work with huge mailboxes.

Is there actually any method of using the classic theme without the tearing, I mean, without buying a monitor that automatically does syncing?

Where i can download untouched win 7?

Probably a dying CPU or RAM.

Most pirate websites have untouched ISOs, other than that, buy a copy off of ebay for a few dollars (or pounds).

How to deal with used electronics that acquire the smell from the previous owner's home/storage. I tried washing the case but it's not enough I can feel it from atleast 2 meters in every direction.fml

should I change my Huawei p8 to a Nokia 3310? I'm tired of Google, the botnet, WhatsApp and the addiction that it made me, what should I do?

In the sample project "WebJpa" on netbeans, where can I check the tables and data ?

I tried using this sample to build an application but when I add a new column in the entity class and I run the application, I get exceptions that the column doesn't exist when a query is sent.

Let it marinate in a box of used tissues.

What website?

mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

Piratebay should have one, IPTorrents too if you have access.

1337x or rarbg

My motherboard doesn't support M.2 drives natively so I got a PCIe adapter to hold it.
Is there any way to boot into the PCIe M.2 drive? I can install GRUB on a separate disk if that would work. Would GRUB be able to load a driver to support the M.2 drive?

what is the best "calculator vault" type app for android?

Depends on the motherboard. Most older ones don't support booting from PCI devices at all without rewriting the BIOS manually. This requires intimate knowledge of how it works and isn't something you can pick up easily, unless you find a guide for that specific motherboard.

What is the closest desktop keyboard in tactility to the Thinkpad X220 keyboard?

It's an MSI 970 Gaming
I'm trying to google without much luck. Let me know if you can find anything

how can i upload large files from my phone without having to use someone's app? i want to use my browser to upload files but it seems like everyone tries to force you to install their app.

When I connect a 2.5" HDD to my PC using a SATA to USB 3 adapter, it works fine, but when I add a USB 2 extender cable to the mix, it can only be mounted as read-only. Can I somehow fix this, or do I have to get a SATA to USB 2 adapter?

can anyone direct me to a hp 15-d051sa optical drive driver?

Where do you want to upload the files and what are you trying to achieve?

I think you can use mega.co.nz without the app. The app is faster though and I trust Kim dotcom

video and audio files

i'm trying to get them on my computer because i forgot to bring a data cable with me

Get primitive ftp server and then use filezilla on the computer you want to put them on

Are you using Windows or Linux? I'd setup a SMB share on the computer and use something like AndSMB on the Android phone to access that share.

Thanks. This is what i looking for.
Thanks too.

What is the differnce between
void function( char *) and
void function( char (*)) ?

Why can I only connect to IRCHighway at certain times? Whenever I want to go on #ebooks, I try and connect to the server and it's like a 50/50 chance that it'll find the server and connect. Then I'm forced to go on undernet, which doesn't quite have the same content

>I trust Kim dotcom

Kim hasn't had control of Mega for a few years now though.

Have an apache/php/mariadb webserver, registered a domain name (godaddy) and pointed to it.

example.com is working just fine on usual wifi/eth networks, but not on mobile data. Even enabling DMZ to it and disabling iptables temporally didn't work, which strongly suggests ISP or godaddy DNS problem.

Does anybody have had some situation akin to that? Should I yell at my ISP or at godaddy?

>fed up with the amount of nagging and bugs old firefox had
>"upgrade" to latest
>forgot to backup 4chanX data
does anyone know how can i extract the data, especially the filters?
the other options i can redo them just fine, but i had several hundred filters
I have my profile from the old version backed up

Windows

the latter won't work or compile properly

What is the name of this code on passports and other documents?

Attached: 000064181[1].jpg (584x408, 100K)

I used DBAN on a HP 15 D051sa with the intention of then installing windows 7 but it says there are no drivers for the optical drive
Please help

Attached: s-l640.jpg (600x532, 43K)