Circuits are technology

Why do (((they))) want us to use lead free solder? Does lead free solders contain xenoestrogens?

Name one benefit to lead free solder
Lead based solders are
>more durable
>more clean
>easier to use

Attached: B000SSPNBU.02.lg.jpg (549x550, 98K)

maybe they don't want you inhaling smoke that has lead in it you fucking moron

>name one benefit to lead-free solder
ummm, perhaps not inhaling neurotoxic heavy metals???

just use some flux if you can't into proper soldering without lead

No, please, by any means necessary continue to use solder with lead in it.
Make sure to take deep breaths while soldering. Anything to prove you're not a soyboy.

Is there any special trick to using lead-free solder? I can't work at all with it.

>At levels above 80 µg/dL, serious, permanent health damage may occur (extremely dangerous).
Lead solder contains 37% Lead, do the math.

training, and like i said flux can help by reducing the surface tension of the solder

INCREASE TEMPERATURE

obviously, also, there are tips designed to be used with lead free solder.

I'm an EE. Nobody actually uses lead-free solder. It's primarily for large-scale manufacturing so the tons of electronics destined for landfills aren't leeching heavy metals into the soil and water. Nobody gives a shit what hobbyists or prototypers use.

This thread is full of weird Mary-Mary-quite-contrary faggots. Where the fuck do you little girls come from? Lead-free is fucked, the heat fucks with the different flux and makes much more dangerous and less-researched byproducts in the fumes.

>if you don't become a violent monkey by saturnism you're a soyboy
You need to go back, Jow Forums.

Lead doesn't vaporize at those temperatures you retard

>implying
Go back to playing card games with your little a-political friends. While you're at it, go buy another funko pop and leave Jow Forums.

>xenoestrogens that have no way to get into your body

400C isn't exactly a room temperature.

Lead doesn't vaporize at 400C. Solder fumes contain no lead.

Ah, good to know.

>not cucking yourself to a pilitical ideology is a bad thing
Lmao holy shite, vargpill yourself you talking ape

Lead in electronics isn't very bio-available. We still find lead bullets in the ground that from wars 150 years ago that haven't dissolved. They'll still be there in 1000 more. Now, if it were Lead Acetate we were talking about, like they used to put in paint, then we might have a problem since it is water soluble.

Anyways, the EU has a program that they adopted called RoHS about 15 years ago, which many industry insiders believe was mostly a publicity stunt to make EU countries look progressive. They knew that due to the size of the EU market, the whole world of manufacturing would go along with it. The angle was EU manufacturers were already tooled for it and it would give them an "green" advantage in the market. Included in that program was the ban of use of heavy metals in electronics, of which the only ones presenting danger to the water supply are Cadmium and Arsenic.

So why is solder advertised as Lead free? Mainly because it's the most commonly known heavy metals on the RoHS list and it rolls off the tongue better than RoHS.

NASA still uses lead solder because "RoHS" lead-free solders are often Tin alloys which create hair like crystals as it oxidizes very slowly over several years.which can bridge contacts and cause shorts/arcing.

Lead-free solder fumes are literally cancerous though.

Use a higher power iron. Keep in mind that iron temperature is only a reference (if your iron has a display). For example, my lead solder says I should use 360-380F, but I use 450F setting for the medium size tips when doing work on DIP size pads. And my Lead-free solder says 450-465, but for medium size tips and DIP work it is way too low, I have to bump my iron temp up to 630F - this does not mean the solder will reach this temp, circuits will sink heat very quickly, so the actual heat at the pad will be lower unless you leave the iron on there for several seconds, which you won't need to do. If you use smaller tips and are working on smaller pads or SMDs then you'll need to turn the temp down.

ALSO

Tin your iron tips after every use with tinner.

Buy a small container of flux that you can brush on to larger pads. The bigger the pads the harder Lead-free solder is to work with because big pads sink heat so fast. The flux has high entropy so it will help keep the surface temp of large pads up when the flux core of the solder you're using isn't enough.

Attached: wEyBTY6.jpg (300x400, 13K)

>trying this hard