Do all cheap IPS TVs have poor blacks?

As in pic - is light bleed and poor black levels a common problem in all IPS TV panels or just the cheap ones? (under $600)
This is a Direct LED IPS panel from an LG 55UJ620V TV.

Apart from OLED, what other panels offer acceptable black levels in dark rooms? Are VA panels any better than this IPS garbage?

Any recommends on a 49-55" TV with picture quality that's worth spending money on? (under $600)

BTW I'm not really into LG, as their products use low quality components. I am more inclined to get a Panasonic, or even a Sony/Samsung, but ultimately have no real preference on any brand.

Attached: Shiiii.jpg (1632x1060, 136K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gizmodo.com/checking-out-lgs-prototype-tvs-was-like-sending-my-eyes-1821893902
youtube.com/watch?v=p0-0Ew46mkQ
displayspecifications.com/en/model/fa78a36
displayspecifications.com/en/model/69b8b40
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

VA is the best in terms of black levels but a cheap edge-lit panel will always have some backlight bleed

My neighborhood has poor blacks.

Attached: 2917007-lucio_012.jpg (1280x800, 123K)

Nah, all blacks are poor

Move to a civilized neighborhood then.

It's a product of cheaper types of IPS because they use a thinner layer between the LCD and backlight. VA has much better blacks than any IPS, but has less accurate colours and some tonal shifting when viewed at an angle.

Most companies don't actually produce their own display panels, Sony certainly don't. LG is generally regarded as one of the best consumer brands that do, so I wouldn't rely on your own anecdotal experience with cheap models. They're probably all the same at that price point.

>mfw fell for the ((affordable)) IPS meme
w-well, at least the colors are nice

Attached: comment_3H8pRCZD2BaQG9QnksoEb54rfCYIZfdc,w400.jpg (400x338, 19K)

My changhong led TV doesn't have this problem

Photo taken with xiaomi mix 2

Attached: IMG_20180401_034641_HHT.jpg (4000x2250, 749K)

I got a Sharp Gen10 10bit MVA panel in my TV and it's got rich blacks and good color for movies.

>LED IPS
>led
Found your problem
Dumbass.

A-IPS panel witch CCFL no issues here.

All IPS monitors have shit tier black levels and contrast. It's inherent to the technology. The best they can manage is ~1000:1 contrast ratio, versus ~6000:1 for VA and infinite for OLED.

>infinite for OLED
not really
It's insanely high and basically infinite, but not truly infinite.

>All IPS monitors have shit tier black levels and contrast

That isn't true, higher end IPS has no problem displaying reasonably deep black, the glow effect is unique to the budget varieties. VA is better in this respect, but still can't do 'true' black like you get on a CRT or OLED (which still has the enduring problem of outrageously inaccurate colour).

Despite its caveats, IPS remains the best general purpose LCD tech available at the moment.

No, it's the exact opposite, poor blacks have the cheap IPS TVs. Rich whites buy OLED and have no problems.

You're retarded. OLED's pixels turn off when displaying black. That is infinite. It is not possible to have a better contrast ratio than the pixel simply being off.

You're retarded too. Contrast ratio and black levels aren't up for debate. IPS can NOT display "deep" blacks, no matter how "high end" you go. It can't. Simple, measurable fact. Your subjective opinion on the matter is irrelevant. If you want to prove me wrong, you find me some measurements showing an IPS panel with a contrast ratio much better than 1500:1 or measured black levels even remotely close to a VA panel, let alone plasma or OLED. Then we'll talk.

And no, IPS remains only suitable for computer monitors. For TVs, VA is far superior. Only a retard would buy an IPS TV and deal with garbage, greyish black levels for things like movies.

>OLED's pixels turn off
not completely, there's always some incredibly minuscule current flowing through the diode. Since not all diodes are perfectly the same this shows as spots on a black image. Basically imperceptible unless you're in a perfectly dark room and your eyes have adapted to low light.
Pic related was taken with some ridiculous ISO and exposition time.
Please educate yourself on the subject before calling people retards.

Attached: dsc_0387qw86n.jpg (1280x853, 738K)

>That isn't true, higher end IPS has no problem displaying reasonably deep black
lol

Attached: muh eye pee ess.png (1405x2399, 437K)

I did say that IPS' blacks are worse than VA, there's no denying it. However, black levels on good panels are acceptable, especially when the TV isn't the only light source in the room. It's definitely more acceptable than VA's colour shift; most people use their TV for watching things with other people, at least IPS gives each of them a vibrant, consistent image.

VA is a middling technology; its one major advantage over IPS shouldn't be taken as a recommendation when it's inferior in every other regard.

Death to chinese shills.

No, but all poor blacks have cheap IPS TVs

Attached: 1521116562862.jpg (1138x689, 138K)

I think you need to look at the black uniformity tests as well. Same website.

Utter bullshit. Feel free to provide a credible source for your claim or fuck off.

>However, black levels on good panels are acceptable

No, they're not. Measurably so. IPS has garbage tier blacks. They look grey and disgusting in a dark room. Again, this isn't up for debate and your subjective opinion is irrelevant. You have been proven factually wrong. Let it go. Let it go, man. Just let it go. Let it go!

>IPS gives each of them a vibrant, consistent image

IPS gives all of them a greyed-out, disgusting image when displaying any darker content.

>VA is a middling technology

And IPS is plain shit. A garbage technology for retards. Its one major advantage of decent viewing angles shouldn't be taken as a recommendation when it's inferior in every other regard. Plus it doesn't even have viewing angles over OLED, making it truly irrelevant.

LOL

So this... is the power... of IPS...

Attached: sj9500-uniformity-large.jpg (3840x2160, 972K)

And that's the BEST IPS TV they tested.

>Utter bullshit. Feel free to provide a credible source for your claim or fuck off.
Other than not owning a single phone with an LCD display ever since Nokia N8 came out? Can't be bothered.
Though I'm sure you'll see it after actually owning a few OLED devices.

IMO in order for a TV to be acceptable it needs to have a black uniformity of 1.5% or lower. Anything above that looks like pure bloody stool smeared on a lighting panel.

I don't even own a TV, so you're not going to catch me by claiming that I'm attached because of through buyer's remorse or something like that.

The fact of the matter is that VA has blacks while IPS has richer colour and viewing angles. I would prioritise the latter. It's also worth noting that VA has no real advantages over OLED, whereas IPS has colour accuracy.

tempted to ditch my old soniq but its just too reliable

Ill wait and see if anything better comes after oled

>poor blacks
>Team Chocolate
really makes you think

VA are only good if you can sit directly in front of the screen at optimal distance. Even at the slightest of angles or too close and it goes to shit.
Not really ideal for a typical living room TV set.

I'll be sitting at around 10-12 ft away from the screen. (3.5 - 4m)

Yes. I had an LG 4k IPS TV and it was a ginormous piece of shit. Returned it for a Sony x900 and never looked back

IDK T BH

Oh wow, would you look at that. Another thread full of VA-shills who have never owned a monitor/tv worth looking at.

There are only three technologies worth looking at (in the dark): CRT, plasma and OLED

>VA are only good if you can sit directly in front of the screen at optimal distance
Optimal distance being as far away as fucking possible. For some reason VA-shills are too stupid to understand that shit viewing angles are a problem even if you sit perpendicular to the center of the screen.
It might not be a huge problem if you get the 49" and sit at 4m. I don't know why anyone would be happy with that, but whatever.
Blacks will still be absolute shit in a dark room.

Attached: 1510400317335.png (199x375, 126K)

My ips panel cost $50, and contrast ratio is 1350:1 static.
MFW I should have bought more.

>msw fell for the affordable PLS meme

Attached: samshit.jpg (1632x1224, 596K)

Nigger, I grew up with a plasma TV and have a CRT that I use right fucking now. My last two phones are oled.
My VA Sony is the best looking screen I own

Sony 900 series are unironically the only lcds worth buying

Either you are lying, you had garbage plasma and CRTs, or you're a blind nigger.
No LCDs are really worth buying.

Its the truth. Honestly I have a hard time recommending oleds unless you plan on buying a new one every other year

Woooow.. So this is the power.. of VA.

Attached: x900e-uniformity-large.jpg (3840x2160, 767K)

I prefer the term "accurate blacks" :^)

I don't fucking care about deep blacks on a TV I'm watching from distance. As long as the display isn't defective it's pretty much fine. You don't even need a "smart TV" meme. Just get a regular IPS/ LED one, hook it up to halfway decent speakers and a Chromecast or some kind of media server and you're set.

even top of the line qled has vertical backlight banding

Attached: large.jpg (999x749, 62K)

lower the back light or something Jesus Christ that's terrible

>I don't fucking care about deep blacks on a TV I'm watching from distance
Why on earth would the viewing distance matter for black levels unless they're heavily dependent on viewing angles like on (consumer) IPS and VA-panels.
"QLED" is a marketing scam anyway.

That only applies in basketball.

it is possible if you use blackhole pixel technology.

>Not being able to roll up your TV

gizmodo.com/checking-out-lgs-prototype-tvs-was-like-sending-my-eyes-1821893902

started using oled for my monitor

no detectable image retention whatsoever aside from the chrome url bar, which is white on black

I hope you don't remind replacing it Soon™.

Attached: week-28-uniformity-b6-yellow-large.jpg (3840x2160, 971K)

now check the filename, you fucking retard

This TV has near perfect blacks when playing HDR content and non HDR content, for only $599 at best buy.

Attached: 20180401_124553.jpg (4031x2522, 794K)

I thought IPS works by acting as a shutter for the backlight to allow color to be produced per pixel.

Why don't they just shut the shutter and allow no color to get perfect blacks?

How about you go check the test yourself, fucktard?
There is no fucking question whether or not you will get noticeable burn-in - only a question of how long until it bothers you too much to use it.

Blacks are overrated.

A TV with similar contrast but righter "blacks" (meaning it's brighter) is actually better.

Your eyes will adjust to the brighter screen and make everything else in your room appear darker.
So you get less distractions and thus a more immersive experience.

Sure it does, team poop-friend.
This is possibly one of the most retarded things I have ever read. If you haven't considered it already, I would strongly recommend that you cease breathing for eternity.

skip to 6:55

youtube.com/watch?v=p0-0Ew46mkQ

>Utter bullshit. Feel free to provide a credible source for your claim or fuck off.
wew lad, this is a well-documented thing, and you can literally see it for yourself by doing what that user posted

that being said, OLED's got absurdly better black levels than damn near everything else
shame it's got awful color accuracy

>get triggered
>whaaaaa I can't hear your argument when I just call you retarded bwhaaaa!

lol brainlets every time.

Attached: whambulance.jpg (242x207, 23K)

multiple oled device owner here
this

Maybe ones with direct backlight with local dimming. That's as good as you can get with LCD.

That's a torture test.

Image retention or burn-in? Also which TV?

What cheap shit are you guys buying.

>youtube video by some random retard
>comparing pictures of garbage with other garbage
It's just a VA-panel with slightly improved blacks due to local dimming which causes a slew of other problems. That's nowhere near close to perfect blacks. Probably still good value though.

>be retarded
>continue to be retarded
Kys senpai. What would happen if you painted everything black?
And tell me, how doesn't all that extra unnecessary light illuminate your room and cause distractions in dark scenes?

>That's a torture test.
It is. But it's the best thing out there to gauge how it will fare as a monitor.

Came here to say this

So it has now come down to these two:

Panasonic TX-58EX700B
displayspecifications.com/en/model/fa78a36

Samsung MU6400 55-Inch (MU7000 - US version)
displayspecifications.com/en/model/69b8b40

The Samsung received a very high score on rtings.com, but as I checked the comment section on Amazon, I saw that people are still complaining about light bleed, so I'm not too sure.

I've come to accept the fact that I won't be getting a perfectly acceptable 50-ish (or larger) TV on this price range.
I would very much be happy with getting a 42-46" screen with superior visuals, but due to the distance between my couch and my TV stand (10-12 ft, 3.5-4m) I need to get a large screen to actually see something.

Any thoughts on these two panels?

No, ESLbro, poor blacks do not all own cheap IPS TVs.

i got a dell ultra sharp and it has the same damn issue. i honestly didnt know about ips glow at the time so i was about to return it but i read up on it and knew it is just something we have to live with. I does have a fucking stuck green pixel near the middle of the screen that fucking infuriates me

look at this

That's not glow fampai. Step away from the monitor, if the problem isn't reduced you have backlight bleed.

This is true. I have an Oculus Rift which has OLED panels, in very dark scenes with no external light leaking in you can actually see something which looks like fine dust spots on the image. If the image isn't nearly entirely black though, it looks excellent in terms of black level.

most tvs are actually VA panels

>posts image of shitty samsung phone

Look at the black level test on rtings for LG C7 OLED. Pixels actually TURN OFF like they are supposed to.

Panasonic developed a per pixel light modulated IPS-a panel with >1,000,000:1 contrast but monitor manufacturers continue churning out ChiMei and AUO second rate garbage

Did they ever make a TV with it though?

vanta pixels may be the best we can do for terrestrial blacks.

>Even at the slightest of angles or too close and it goes to shit.
stop speaking in absolutes. your argument would be much better if you said "most" or "cheap" VA panels have bad viewing angles.
my samsung VA panel barely blurs when viewed at angles and thats me saying that with an AHVA monitor, which is suppose to exceed at viewing angles, sitting right next to it.
IPS and IPS-like monitors are just littered with so many issues that it's almost not worth owning any of them.
it's literally a high risk gamble hoping you get an IPS monitor without some sort of color calibration issue or back light bleed.

Buy a good IPS and you don't get issues.

I wish I was home so I could test and post my TV.

>Do all cheap IPS TVs have poor blacks?

ask team chocolate

xD

I just run the blacklight on mine lower than default. LED monitors are brighter than older generation.