IPv6

Have you done anything interesting with IPv6, Jow Forums? Does your ISP support it natively yet?

Attached: ipv6.jpg (294x171, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Privacy
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7217
blog.webernetz.net/why-nat-has-nothing-to-do-with-security/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

upvote

I'm not a network engineer but I love this kind of stuff, are IPv4 addresses almost completely exhausted? My ISP has enabled IPv6 since 2016 apparently, had a quick search online

Recently moved into a new building which has native ipv6 support and 1Gb/s internet. I host some servers and I configured everything to work with IPv6, that being said all servers still have to listen on IPv4 otherwise about 80% of users wouldn't be able to reach them.

IPv6 is making good progress, should be a majority in about 5 years: google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

Pros: VoWiFi (if your phone provider offers it).
Cons: You now have a unique identifier and your actions can be easily tracked and correlated with your Internet persona.

What I've did: disabled it on my desktop, left it on my smartphone.

um, no. If you have IPv6 support your ISP gives you a whole range od addresses.

>reboot PC
>new IPv6 address

no privacy issue.

Um, yes. You can renew your ipv6 address (same as with ipv4), but now
>each device on the network has a unique address globally reachable directly from any other location on the Internet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Privacy

>hurr durr firewalls suddenly stop existing when you use ipv6

You're an ignoramus.

Nice comeback friend, read this and post again after you'll understand it (like never):
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7217

Put the handbags away ladies xx

Are you from a third world shithole?
Every major isp has enabled it you fucking retard except for third world

Using SLAAC is optional retard
You can just disable stateless dhcpv6 in your router.

Verizon FIOS is the largest residential fiber internet provider in the nation. With over 5 million internet subscribers.

I have 1gbps for under $80/month

They have no Ipv6 implementation and no current public plans to enable it besides vague promises from 6+ years ago.

>Does your ISP support it natively yet?
It's actually amazing how they still don't. This is supposed to be a first-world country.

That being said, I run 6to4 on everything, if only to lessen the pains of NAT.

>each device on the network has a unique address globally reachable directly from any other location on the Internet
But that's the very good thing about it. Imagine being to cucked with NAT from birth that you're now having Stockholm syndrome for it.

Yes, I disabled it.

Why?

Privacy

Yes I have native IPv6. I haven't "done" anything with it yet, besides enable privacy extensions.
There really is something oddly satisfying about having sextillions of addresses, though.

Attached: 1485473684854.png (824x792, 408K)

If I'm not peep I'm mad

That shit's a solved problem. Just enable privacy extensions in your OS.
It'll generate short-lived addresses randomly, and use that for making new connections. So they can't track you based on an individual address; only your prefix, which is exactly the same as it is with IPv4 + NAT anyway.

They have the money to deploy a 1gbps capable fiber network but they can't manage to enable dual stack ipv4/Ipv6?
They're either retarded or have some big back end network upgrades planned soon

I can't into port forwarding with IPv6 tho

You don't need port forwarding. Port forwarding is just some shitty NAT hack.

But then how do I access specific ports on my LAN from WAN without having every single ports open to the WAN?
I want certain ports to be only accessible from LAN, and only some from WAN.
I cba making firewall rules to drop traffic from incomming WAN addresses ranges and shit. NAT just werks for it

Also, another reason I don't like IPv6 is because when I access a website, it first tries to resolve the domain in IPv6, which fails most of the time due to lack of support from websites, so I have to wait until it timeouts before it tries to resolve in IPv4, which slows down Internet browsing drastically.

>But then how do I access specific ports on my LAN from WAN without having every single ports open to the WAN?
You don't have to since you have a whole range of IPv6 addresses and everything connected has its own global address. That's the whole point of IPv6.

If you want to restrict that, you can just set up a firewall, but that's pretty stupid.

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. IPv6 is if anything more private, not less, since you can switch addresses around at will.

I mean, in term of security, isn't that a bad thing? It basically makes all ports accessible to the Internet if you don't have a firewall

There are so many Ipv6 addresses out there that it's basically statistically irrelevant

So you are saying mass scans are not a thing?
I care a lot about security

so what, the prefix stays the same

Statistically irrelevant if you're brute-forcing IPs for open ports.
And suddenly a security nightmare if you know the device you're targeting.

no

I had IPv6 for a few months, but then after a few months I was back to IPv4 for some reason.

delete, it's a Team Chocolate streak

>a Creme-free thread
Ah.

No, still on IPV4. Thank god. Everything I got is running smooth as it on IPV4. Anyway, on a private lan you can use any IP class you want long as it's a valid ip/sub range. The typical class
c ip range (192.168.0.1 - 254/255.255.255.0) can dish out 252 addresses ( minus 2 for static Server & Router assignment). 252 devices, for a home/small business that's overkill right there.

Remember UEFI replacing BIOS? We needed something better, modern and with more features. And that's what UEFI supposed to be on paper. In practice, UEFI comes with not much new things, has security issues and cucks its users.
By the looks of it it will be the same story with IPv6 replacing IPv4.

This. I made a shell script to fetch Unicode emoticons from websites whose entire purpose is to serve a short HTML with them. I was wondering why it took > 10s to curl and xmllint 3 characters, then I read up on it.
Curl will try an IPv6 reverse DNS lookup before going to IPv4 if you don't specify otherwise.

I've had IPv6 native on my ISP for about 3 years now, I love it because I don't need to use NAT garbage when hosting things.

nope, I don't have it. Australian ISP's are niggers

Attached: 1521101005123.png (953x574, 34K)

I got the silver IPv6 Network Engineer cert from the IPv6 Forum. I’m a fan and obviously we need an alternative due to a lack of v4 addresses, but people refuse to learn the addressing system so it’ll take forever to really take off.

>reads the title
>has an opinion
bet you're a redditard too

Fuck off, retard.

I'll just leave this here:
blog.webernetz.net/why-nat-has-nothing-to-do-with-security/

>Have you done anything interesting with IPv6, Jow Forums?
no
no

How does IPv6 "cuck its users"?

>people refuse to learn the addressing system
Honestly, they should have just used decimal numbers and made IPv4 a subset of IPv6.

>all of the retards ITT that don't realize IPv6 is for third worlders because their ISPs didn't get enough IPv4 address space that are bitching because their "first world ISP" doesn't have IPv6 support

lol

>ipv6
Disabled everywhere. In kernel and all system too.

I literally have yet to see even the palest shadow of IPv6 begin being used.

by fingerprinting them for easier tracking and surveillance?

Because of no NAT?

No, you're identifiable even behind NATs. It's by design.

So where is the easier tracking and surveillance?

Why?

In your face and your mom's vagina (which are most of the time in the same place):
> more and better methods to be identified +
> harder or impossible to disable them
> = easier tracking and surveillance

>more and better methods to be identified
Such as... ?

It's bullshit made up by people who do not understand how networking works.

educate us

Hahahahahhaah

There are three ipv6 addresses. Link local, local and global.

Your link local will always be unique.

The prefix staying the same is certainly better than the entire address staying the same. Especially if the adversary doesn't know how long the prefix is.

But you also get NAT, which is pure cancer.

That's what the internet was originally intended to be like when IPv4 was first invented. NAT and large-scale DHCP started being used because IPv4 addresses were getting depleted. Also having a unique permanent address means you don't have to register a domain name to host a server.

By what looks? There's literally nothing about IPv6 that isn't strictly better than IPv4.

>Your link local will always be unique.
First, that's not true; it can be arbitrarily selected just as the others. Second, so what? The link-local address is, as the name might seem to imply, never seen outside the local link, just like the MAC address.

Well public ips are mostly exhausted but people are still making it work with NAT. I feel like people will squeeze it 10-15 years more out of ipv4 before they make ipv6 compulsory.

Addresses take up more space. That's a con.

No and no.

no and i wouldn't care if they did or didn't

In itself yes, but compared to IPv4 that space has been shaved off anyway due to lots of unnecessary headers having been shaved off, so it's not an argument in favor of IPv4.

>>each device on the network has a unique address globally reachable directly from any other location on the Internet
and that's a good thing (Not even in the meme sense)

>In practice, UEFI comes with not much new things, has security issues and cucks its users.

all nonfree shitware does. UEFI on the face of it is fine. governments allowing corporations to create contracted out UEFI garbage that is insecure with no ability to replace it are to blame.

ipv6 is the future of botnets, we gonna have dildos connected to IOT with fixed IPV6 addresses,

good. the age of IPv4 and nats should have ended already.

I am gonna love having access to all that vulnerable firmwares, hacking bitches dildos and webcams its gonna be amazing.

Unlikely. Eliminating NAT does not eliminate firewalls. If anyone ever thought NAT is a security feature, he was clearly retarded.

Btw. all shit-tier consumer routers had firewalls for IPv6.

>governments allowing corporations to create contracted out UEFI garbage
Yes, more government supervision! Regulate computers harder, please!

ip6 > ip4

fuck nat, port forwarding, and all those other stupid hacks you need when using ip4. With ip6 everything just werks

uefi is way better than bios for booting. Fuck those magic bytes and boot sectors. Having a dedicated filesystem on which to store OS loaders or even being able to just arbitrarily boot from any partition or medium without hassle is great

in the days, it used to be common to ruin your multiboot setup by merely editing partition layouts or running boot diag tools, which would rewrite your mbr and fuck up your boot system. now with uefi no such thing happens anymore.

My router got a /64 IP. Does that means I own a whole network?

No
Yes
>

Yes, I disabled it, because I don't like the way it points directly to one particular device.

What would be something interesting one could do specifically related to IPv6? I use IPv6 because pretty much all my stuff is set up dual-stack (IPv4 and 6) but that's not really relevant to a particular version of the IP.

>What would be something interesting one could do specifically related to IPv6?
Get around an incompetently set up corporate firewall, for example.

I would like to, but none of the ISPs in any of the 4 places I've lived in the last few years have supported it

You can enable privacy extensions and get a new interface ID any time you want.

I'd like to hear a specific concrete example of how you would track someone within a session, and what the motivation would be. Should be pretty easy for you, since you seem very confident about it.