Why

Why do people here still use systemd? I find it baffling that there are actually systemd shills on here

Attached: Garbage.gif (1968x639, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
linuxg.net/systemd-will-be-adopted-starting-with-linux-mint-18-and-lmde-3/
freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/machinectl.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-nspawn
0pointer.net/blog/ip-accounting-and-access-lists-with-systemd.html
phk.freebsd.dk/_downloads/FOSDEM_2014.pdf
igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/julian-assange-debian-is-owned-by-the-nsa/
iwf1.com/systemd-vs-openrc-which-init-system-is-the-best-for-you-comparison/2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>inb4 "idk what's wrong with it?"
There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

Because all of the easy distros have been possessed.
Literally if you want a non-systemd distro you have to install some shitty hack of a distro with no community or Gentoo.

linux mint debian edition uses sysvinit

For me it has mostly done good:
- faster boot
- easier to filter log files
- it already provides the basic networking i need plus basic dns caching
- much easier to create services (declarative instead of imperative)
- user services
- lots of nice tools like hostnamectl, localectl, timedatectl, machinectl

The only issue I ever had with it was in the beginning when i started using it and it was because i didn't configure journalctl to fit my usage (it was using too much space).

It might cause issues for other people but I believe it is a step in the right direction towards a sane, even if not ideal, GNU/Linux ecosystem.

>all of these tools that already existed
>but now all of them are written and controlled by the same person
>this is somehow a good thing

Attached: 1520414198156.png (469x452, 277K)

>serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
That was two years ago.
>phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
If you are worried about attack surface you shouldn't be using Linux at all my friend.

Yup, and now I don't need pdnsd, dhcpcd and wicd anymore. One straightforward syntax for everything (ini files).

The only thing I miss is having a systray icon displaying signal strenght / connection status.

I have a question for you buddy:
What happens when Micro$oft buys systemd and all future updates are proprietary?

I’ve started using it at work, like actually using its features and not just dealing with being on EL7 servers.

Setting up services is dead fucking simple. If you’ve ever had to deal with custom init scripts this is a god send.

Service Logging is tits. Yeah it’s stupid logs are in a binary format but it’s easy enough to redirect to a file or configure syslog. For us it’s hella awesome because now our apps can log straight to syslog via the systemd service file. There’s no code changes needed or other bullshit. Syslog on all our systems are sent off to splunk.

Services can be restart if they exit automatically. Yeah it’s a crutch for piss poor development but devs gonna poo.

Systemd timers allow for sub-minute cron jobs. Need to run that script every 5 seconds? Systemd timers got you covered.

>What happens when Micro$oft buys systemd and all future updates are proprietary?
Same thing that happens when a company changes the direction/license of a big/popular FOSS project: a fork.

Solaris -> Illumos
MySQL -> MariaDB
Open Office -> Libre Office.

many brainwashed western people shill for systemd just to feel more empowered

>Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
>suckless.org/sucks/systemd
Some of those "issues" are bullshit, like the one saying that PID 1 does DNS. It doesn't, there's a separate process just for it. It is the same for other features see:

root 232 0.0 0.5 144288 41424 ? Ss 09:01 0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald
root 259 0.0 0.1 91652 8672 ? Ss 09:01 0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd
systemd+ 265 0.0 0.0 81424 5252 ? Ss 09:01 0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-networkd
systemd+ 451 0.0 0.0 153056 3788 ? Ssl 09:01 0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-timesyncd
systemd+ 452 0.0 0.0 73056 6264 ? Ss 09:01 0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-resolved

That's good and all, but I don't want these features and most of the questionable design decisions. Systemd caused me some non-trivial problems already and I'd like to change that, but it gets harder and harder the more the systemd ecosystem grows.

Next version will be systemd.

All of this already existed long before systemdick did, except it wasn't buggy, didn't rape 100GB of your ram, didn't auto-corrupt itself, didn't report false information when probing for service status, and didn't embed a network server in the boot process. Also it didn't brick your install if something took more than 15 minutes to complete during boot and didn't give automatic root access to users with a number as first character in their name. Not to mention it didn't bring the entire system down to give it an empty string. Also, it didn't silently connect to google when it failed to touch your default DNS.

damn. source?

it's convenient. Most people simply don't care about the downsides of systemd as long as shit works most of the time.

systemd is funded by nasa to inject security vulnerabilities into all linux computers

linuxg.net/systemd-will-be-adopted-starting-with-linux-mint-18-and-lmde-3/

It jsut werks

Attached: Screenshot_20180401_093817.png (1920x1080, 412K)

But he's not talking about normalfags at large, he's talking about Jow Forums, a board for people who actually understand technology at least to some extent.

Bro we have 50000 CentOS 7 boxes and none of these problems have ever occurred.

>runs arch Linux
>gets mad when there are bugs

I don't know either, it's fucking cancerous
freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/machinectl.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-nspawn
0pointer.net/blog/ip-accounting-and-access-lists-with-systemd.html

If systemd was really as bad as these kids say, it would have totally failed in enterprise environments.

you forgot developed by nsa

>there's a separate process
you can't be retarded enough to think this adequately addresses the issues with redhat's vendor lock in vehicle.

>billions of bug reports don't exist because I'm paid to pretend I don't have this problem
OK kid.

It has. Unfortunately, binary distros only offer packages that hard-depend on systemd (EVEN WHEN THEY DON'T ACTUALLY USE SYSTEMD FEATURES), so there's no choice but to either use gentoo or keep systemd.

>faster boot
RunIt is faster than systemdick.
>it already provides the basic networking
how is this a good thing?
>much easier to create services
Imo, RunIt is more comfy.
>user services
I don't want to run multiple instances of this bloatware.
>lots of nice tools
these existed before and you don't change things like your locale/keymap/hostname daily.

Don't you find it *a bit* weird that systemdick (redhat) is trying to devour all?

source?

you can always use void linux if you don't care about being ENTERPRISE

it's really weird how poettering keeps piling on features nobody fucking uses, though
really makes you think

>systemdick (redhat) is trying to devour all
I'd expect nothing less of the slimy lizards.
What's bothersome is that they've found a way to corrupt every other important name in the distro world.

>keeps piling on features nobody fucking uses
it's very useful for parties that would benefit from "accidental" bugs
>inb4 phk.freebsd.dk/_downloads/FOSDEM_2014.pdf

>RunIt is faster than systemdick.
Objectively false.

Void is trash. It doesn't even have a good way to uninstall packages and their dependencies, trying to do so results in removing dependencies that are still used by other packages and generally breaks the system. Not to mention the query system is dogshit and it has very few packages. Also it's about as stable as arch.
Gentoo is where it's at.

relevant reading: igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/julian-assange-debian-is-owned-by-the-nsa/

>It has
[citation needed]

Even openrc is faster than systemdicks.
iwf1.com/systemd-vs-openrc-which-init-system-is-the-best-for-you-comparison/2

literally start listing them fagboy because you're full of shit. virtually nothing systemd does has a direct competitor and the ones that do, do not have good UX.

No, void is great, OwO

Attached: voidowo.jpg (2560x1600, 1.11M)

>…Kay Sievers and Lennart Poettering often have the same response style to criticisms as the GNOME developers [read other Red Hat developers] — go away, you’re clueless, we know better than you, and besides, we have commit privs and you don’t, so go away.

kek, do you not know how to read charts? It clearly shows systemd being faster

>I’ve started using it at work, like actually using its features and not just dealing with being on EL7 servers.
We're slowly migrating from SUSE11 to SUSE12 and with that come the joys of systemd.

>Setting up services is dead fucking simple. If you’ve ever had to deal with custom init scripts this is a god send.
Completely opposite in my experience. The declarative configs lack flexibility so what would have taken a simple rc script now requires a unit file AND an rc script. I have a similar experience with udev rules, so this really is a whole ecosystem of shit.

>Service Logging is tits. Yeah it’s stupid logs are in a binary format but it’s easy enough to redirect to a file or configure syslog.
Yay! Now I can have two copies of the same log except one of them is corrupted.
>For us it’s hella awesome because now our apps can log straight to syslog via the systemd service file. There’s no code changes needed or other bullshit. Syslog on all our systems are sent off to splunk.
I fail to see how this is specific to systemd and impossible with traditional Unix stuff.

>Services can be restart if they exit automatically. Yeah it’s a crutch for piss poor development but devs gonna poo.
This was possible in inittab since the 70s. But I guess Poettering "invented" auto-restarting services just like Steve Jobs invented tablets.

>Systemd timers allow for sub-minute cron jobs. Need to run that script every 5 seconds? Systemd timers got you covered.
Oh wow! Lennart invented alternative cron daemons as well.

To me this looks like you don't know shit about pre-systemd stuff and so you praise and glorify everything the systemd propaganda tells you to.

well, I don't like their package manager either but it's a binary distro that doesn't use systemd

>systemd
>fast
kek. have you ever tried to shutdown one of your systemd machines?

takes literally 3 seconds

"They will keep on absorbing pieces of linux until systemd is the entire operating system."

Yeah, they turn off pretty much instantly. I don't care about how something feels, show me numbers.

>Imo, RunIt is more comfy.

this is when I learned you were mentally retarded.

For me the reason is the easy creation of services. I mean I totally get why people have their reservations about systemd, but personally it's just made my life easier. I'm not much for ideology, I just want things that make my life easier.

did you know that openssl depends on systemd in debian?

>damaged/over-inflated egos and obnoxious behavior are just symptoms – they come to believe they are all-powerful. That’s the kind of person always recruited for such positions. They do whatever their bosses in slime tell them to do, and enjoy the pseudo-power that comes with the ‘uniform’, like all such people. They are easily replaced with yet another bootlicker – a vast supply. It doesn’t serve anyone to feed their ego dramas – start talking about Red Hat itself instead, because that’s the real author here. In fact, even Red Hat is just a front, although the primary one in Linux. Follow the money and influence, as in any other form of corruption.

>abloo abloo abloo I need to do retarded shit to start my services up and I also am completely clueless about execstartpre

>inittab
just fuck off faggot. systemd's supervision is actually useful and goes deeper than just fucking restarting failed services. but you literally don't know shit if you throw out the word inittab as a valid fucking process supervisor.

>I just want things that make my life easier.
That's how botnet took over the world

T H I S
H
I
S

that's false, nigga
and you know it

cuz systemd is da boiz

Has there ever been a court case where systemd was used to catch someone? I don't believe there has. It would probably be classed as hacking and information gained via hacking is dismissible in court. Hackermen might steal your cartoon CP but that's a minor loss (pun intended)

Don't really care, sorry zealous user

imagine being this mad over a simple plaintext file
and yes, inittab is crude, but there have been working supervisors _years_ before systemd (openRC, runit, etc.)
besides, the point was restarting services, which inittab does

holy fuck what sort of brain problems do you have to believe this would prove anything?

systemd + Wayland = love

>implying that this would be used in public courts and not CIAnigger secret operations.

sounds like a UNIX dick sucking retard to me.

no there hasn't. all of them had depended on exits or signaling. systemd has thins thing called sd_notify and hooks into dbus. none of the tools you listed allow for your supervisor to really know what's going on.

What sort of brain problems do you have to believe without a shred of actual proof that some 100% FOSS software is spying on you?

Is that unlubricated backdoor love?

Consensual sex for the purpose of procreation giving way to the future of the YotLD.

why the fuck do you have a anime picture floating on your desktop? this can't be just normal autism, this is something else.

I want server config out of my way. Deep OS knowledge is not what I want, I want to work high enough up the stack that all of this is an afterthought. I don’t know that systemd is the panacea I want, but the simple declarative config certainly helps especislly with regards to config management. I want my config management code to be simple, human readable. I don’t want to ever log into servers. I want my servers immutable. Hell I really don’t want servers at all.

I like systemd.

Just oldfags hate it.

nice goalpost moving there, faggot
>they're not spying, you tinfoil hatters
>"accidentally" weakened security, what's that?
not like we haven't had *multiple* examples of this shit in the last few years

Those are also two underage boys. So it's autism + gay pedophilia.

>bug gets discovered
>bug gets fixed
>"OMFG THEY'RE SPYING ON YOU, SEE? JUST LOOK AT THIS BUG!"

>just oldfags
this is what bootlickers actually believe

agreed, systemd haters sound like grumpy old men
>but muhhhh init
OK nobody cares grandpa

Its happiness!! ^.^
Also, those are kitten boys. *snuggles*

>Just oldfags hate it.
and oldfags happen to be "muh UNIX" sleepy dinos who don't know shit about modern computing theory. really makes me think.

>none of the tools you listed allow for your supervisor to really know what's going on
systemd doesn't either in many cases
sd_notify has to be explicitly supported by the software (i.e. requires code changes) and has to implement dbus (which has to be running and not crash... ever)
so you just made process supervision dependent on the processes being supervised AND a system-wide IPC "mux"
retard

That must be some pretty strong ignorance/delusion/cognitive dissonance you got there.
I mean, normal people wouldn't sleep at night knowing they're defending shit like this.

I love plausible deniability

>dinos who don't know shit about modern computing theory
you mean like the systemd shills that don't know shit about modern infosec threats?

>sd_notify has to be explicitly supported by the software (i.e. requires code changes) and has to implement dbus (which has to be running and not crash... ever)

gee, you mean having proper IPC because "muh POZZIX" is limited garbage requires code changes? wow, groundbreaking revelation. maybe posix should adopt useful microkernel features and systemd wouldn't have to implement their own subsystems.

time for you to take your meds, gramps

it's the modern way to get shit done

>Deep OS knowledge is not what I want
>init scripts
>deep OS knowlege
what? it's basic shell scripting coupled with basic awareness of OS facilities

I'm starting to think system administration is some kind of super power.

>gets called out
>no counterarguments
>time to switch to adhoms
I expected more from you

>modern infosec threats?

you mean like having zero useful abstraction and lenient configuration? pretty much 99% of the low hanging issues are directly due to anti systemd moronic bullshit.

This isn't a meme anymore, seriously install Gentoo.

>yfw gentoo will succumb to systemd in your lifetime

>every user is the same person
you really are senile

>muh systemd sysvinit false dichotomy
weak
also, let's compare published vulns, shall we?

Makes no fucking difference Peepboy.

>implying it matters if you're the same fag as the other fag
nigga tell me which part of my post doesn't apply to your retarded shit

You know, I get it. Systemd is here to windowsify Linux because otherwise retards like you wouldn't be able to use a computer.
But why punish the rest of us who actually learned some skills and are able to use them?

Get back to me when you’re managing thousands of servers. You don’t want to have to give this any thought. Also you want your non-systems engineer customers to quickly and easily get their services running without opening a ticket to get the ops team to create an init script for them.

Normal people wouldn't sleep at night thinking anyone is autistic enough to actually care about this

In that case, systemd's occasional, yet consistently happening GAME BREAKING BUGS and the fact that you're in a walled garden where you can't get shit working without sucking RH's cock should be a bit more of a concern.
At least for those of us that aren't getting milked by the RH enterprise racket.

>You know, I get it. Systemd is here to windowsify Linux because otherwise retards like you wouldn't be able to use a computer.

I'm pretty sure you're just a moron. POZZIX and all things UNIX-y are literally obsolete. their continued use is pretty much pure legacyware momentum.

systemd is just a part of the future of Linux, just like gdbus and new systemd spinoffs which I'm sure you're going love to hate as well.

have fun being an obsolete sleepy dino.

Spoken like a true useful idiot.

>Slackware
>shitty hack of a system