Slackware thread

Can we have a Chocolate Slackware thread? Why aren't you using the best gnu/linux distro user?

Attached: slaxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg (256x256, 13K)

because i would rather not manage dependencies by myself

This. Not having automatic dependency handling is inexcusable.

No automatic dependency handling is almost like using windows and playing with the DLL files causing in the process what is gently and commonly referred to as DLL HELL, you're still using a *nix based system but fuck are you fucked!

just write a script that does the slackbuilds for you. this would manage dependencies

was meant for

What is the appeal of slackware? Can I install any package manager I want after doing the initial installation? What makes Slackware+Portage better than Gentoo?

>What is the appeal of slackware?
lack of systemd, more control over how package is installed
>Can I install any package manager I want after doing the initial installation?
i don't think so, but it already has a package manager
>What makes Slackware+Portage better than Gentoo?
don't know what you are talking about

Attached: image.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

But I already use openrc on gentoo, I can download whatever I want from Portage (Gentoo's package manager), an overlay (Gentoo's AUR) or an ebuild (package install file) with custom compilation flags.
What is Slackware? Is it a binary distro like Debian with no dependency handling or is it like LFS where you have a blank canvas?

new version when

there is still dependency, but, comparing to arch that you wouldn't need to know its dependencies and the options to it, now you have to.
you can install everything from source and make -> make install or use the correct slack way of installing by using slackbuilds which are just bash scripts to creating slack packages.

personally i find gentoo more interesting to use than slackware but i got stressed out ONE TIME with those CFLAGS so i decided to not use gentoo anymore and use, instead, slack.

So...
> Is it a binary distro like Debian with no dependency handling or is it like LFS where you have a blank canvas?

there is dependency handling. you can install rpm packages but it will only taint your distro in my opinion. use slackbuilds for everything, there is always a slackbuild for what you desire, and it mostly installs from source, compact in a .tgz package so you can use the slack package manager to install it.

when our guy says so

ps: i'm no slackware expert, just have been using for a while.

Thank you for the explanation. I'll definitely give it a try if I get tired of Gentoo.

also, i have 2 more things about slackware to say.

first, its community is incredible friendly on linuxquestions dot org, there are big names there giving you support like alienbob himself (you WILL learn about this guy once you give slackware a try).

and second, there is no easy way of installing it minimal. what i mean is, they recommend ~fiercely~ that you install a full installation (you can select which group of packages to install) because their installation ISO contains packages that are not in slackbuilds or (mostly) anywhere! So, me been a minimal user, thought "oh lets not install anything, just the core, then i'll download everything later". nope. I had a very hard time and decided in the end to reinstall with full installation.

Attached: 1450479658261.gif (285x200, 872K)

When it has been christened as ultimately, and completely stable, By Our Lord and Savior Patrick

I've been thinking of swapping to Slackware (From ArchLabs) I know of the dependency problem, but is there any other things I should be concerned about? How easy is it to use?

i found it much more easy than any arch flavor.

Another question, with my old laptop that I tried slackware on (For like 5 minutes) my intel wireless card didn't work, how would I fix this with my current laptop with an intel wireless card as well, and can Slackware do full disk encryption?

Do you have any log that describes the problem?

I run Slackware Current and my Realtek wifi card (which has problems with almost every distro) works perfectly.

Absolutely rock solid reliability and great performance (60fps in ShaderToy compared to Windows 7's 30fps on average on the same hardware), Slackware set the standard for Linux for me, couldn't believe it when I saw other people's Ubuntu installations crash. I only ever had stability problems with it when the underlying hardware went shit, like during those times of everything having shitty capacitors 10 years ago. Used Debian for a while because of apt-get, but I feel the call of "Bob" when it comes time to replace this Windows 7 installation, and will probably go with Slackware again.

but I am!.... I think I'm the only one who actually uses it on this website. I don't even believe OP is running it

Attached: got_slack?.png (665x420, 88K)

Unfortunately not I'm afraid, but lspci says my "Network controller" is
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] (rev 34)

First explain why do you think your card didn't work (showing the steps you made to reach that conclusion).
Then, see if there is an error in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages

Also, we are using the same network card so there must be an easy solution there, since I didn't had that much trouble when I set up my slack on my x220.

I don't have Slackware installed anymore, and it was on my old laptop, but if we both use the same network card, then I don't see why it wouldn't work. Thank you for helping me with my brainlet problems, but going back to my other question, does Slackware support FDE?

>he doesn't know about slpkg/sbotools

Attached: file.png (842x792, 82K)

laziness -- it's still not as zero effort as Ubuntu or whatever, and that's mostly because of externally packaged software

as an aside, most of Jow Forums's most vocal bunch is gonna fucking hate it, the Slackware Way is to literally install every package they ship (because that removes the need to care about dependencies entirely, and external packages often provide information for slapt-get or some other external dependency manager anyway)

slackware is easy as shit
like, it's not geared towards user friendliness, but it's made to be really simple and ends up being fairly easy anyway

I would not know, sorry user. I don't encrypt my disk.
If you ask this question on linuxquestions dot org you may get a very complete answer, tho.

Attached: 1516250973915.jpg (535x800, 43K)

you're not that special peep

Attached: 2018-04-01-132703_1280x800_scrot.png (1280x800, 85K)

Should I migrate from Debian to this?

Yes. There’s a lot more to setup but it’s worth it