/wt/ WATCH THREAD

TEAM PEEEEEEEEEEEEP

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=508-rmdY4jQ [Open]

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

previous bread

Attached: 20180329_211358.jpg (4032x3024, 2.08M)

Give me one good reason I shouldn't buy one of these /wt/

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 104K)

Post Easter Day watches!

^_^

Attached: AB508A12-9BE9-4E96-8647-AE20D36BFE42.jpg (4032x3024, 2.77M)

rebosting

how does the Patek screening actually work? I mean it would be impolite to reject someone because he has gold grills on the teeth

Because it's a fucking Tag Heuer that's why

It's ugly

Attached: DE3F7895-3D80-404A-859D-E8D310385A70.jpg (4032x3024, 3.28M)

your gf looks like an old spinster hag

I fell for the smart watch meme and now It just sits in my case. I bought a gear s3 frontier however because I wasn't sure it was going to be for me. I never used any of the features and it just looks kinda tacky.

Attached: 20180326_142301.jpg (4032x3024, 3.26M)

The kind of people who would be nasty to you for wearing a Rolex will find a way to be nasty to you for some other reason anyway. No point in modesty pandering to them.

Tenth for actually buying a new watch that isn't a digital Casio.

Attached: seiko-prospex-automatic-black-dial-black-rubber-men_s-sports-watch-srp641_2_2.jpg (900x900, 108K)

She is a nubile 19 yo lol

What’s the best Timex?

Attached: Casio AQ 230 Gold.jpg (640x581, 41K)

Reposting from last thread

8 1/4" wrist from lifting and being a giant at 6'7", what's a good watch for me?

Attached: 20180314_122928.jpg (4032x3024, 3.06M)

weekender is a safe bet

got any proofs?

Do you dress like a 90's goth?

This
Not in two-tone though.

Attached: timex_digital.jpg (510x510, 27K)

No, I only ever wear a few of those.

Any. Watches are personal preference.

I’ll get banned if I post a close up of her face

Attached: 7AC198DD-F800-4655-ADF1-01FE4A0AB396.jpg (4032x3024, 2.41M)

Real answer? It doesn't work, and it doesn't happen. The best you can do is what companies like Ferrarris do: prior Ferrari ownership is a prerequisite for certain models. Denying customers based on being a rapper is a heartbeat away from denying them based on race, and no company wants to deal with the flak that would come from that. Cristal did it and it was a PR nightmare. Tommy Hilfiger did it and same problem. It's pointless drama that helps nobody. Black people are going to like what they like, there's nothing you can do.

Why have a collection of watches you don't wear? Do you hang them on your walls and use them as really shitty clocks?

because mods would think it's gore?

Some of them were from my father that passed and left them to me. It did get me in to collecting though and I'm just starting out building my collection

Question. Is it worth it to buy an old Seiko G757 on eBay for $400? I really want one and the remake is HUEG.

idk but they have done it before

^_*

Attached: 7AAE4886-BE93-4879-85E2-77ECC4DCA338.jpg (4032x3024, 2.92M)

Panerai

Attached: DSC_1516.jpg (1500x1004, 1016K)

Why don't you own a wooden tourbillion watch?

Attached: ylxsqifml8p01.jpg (3000x2362, 348K)

what happened with Tommy Hilfiger? Just post me a keyword so I can google it

I've never liked tourbillion complications

what the fuck is going on here

Someone give me an insight into the mind of someone who buys blatant shitters? What sort of cognitive dissonance allows them to be so unaware of their retardation?

I wear a Rolex. It's not a huge problem for me because I have coworkers with Rolexes, Nomoses, Tags, Cartiers, etc. But if I was a teacher there is no way in hell I would wear a Rolex. Get over your "I wear watches for myself" delusion, it's pure fantasy. Watches are jewelry for men, they're an "expression of your appreciation for horological virtue" or whatever.

If I was a teacher, even if I was secretly rich, I'd wear a Timex, a Hamilton, or a Seiko. Probably a Timex. Probably a Marlin, on a steel stretch band. Because I have taste, and I understand that taste isn't about spending as much as humanly possible. It's about having your clothes SEEM to be a natural, appropriate extension of your means and your circumstances. Even if they really aren't.

Schoolteacher + Rolex just screams "tacky vulgarian" to me.

Just google "Hilfiger black people"

I like that Explorer knockoff they have.

Same reason people buy iPhones. Lack of knowledge, understanding, or care (also known as "fucks given").

What's the Garmin?

Why would you even work as a teacher if you're rich is my question. Unless you're a university professor

Helping kids? Why would you work as anything? People do stuff for reasons other than money. Have you ever actually met a rich person?

How do you like my NOMOS collection?

sounds like a hoax

There's nothing tacky or vulgar about an explorer. As long as you're not wearing a rainbow daytona there's nothing wrong with a rolex.

Attached: 1509145565736.jpg (1500x998, 314K)

Attached: Nomos.png (800x1639, 1.55M)

910XT

I work in the construction sector and all the rich property developers are a walking stereotype of the nouveau rich. Watches are as only as good as they're expensive and people mostly talk about cars, architects are cooler though

And that's where you're wrong. It's about circumstances. Take this outfit for instance. Totally fine on the beach. A teacher wearing it to teach a bunch of high school students, not so appropriate.

Attached: f809585ac1352f1123b6ad0d9a97e500.jpg (960x960, 271K)

The two are not analogous at all. You're assuming a lot about wearing a rolex that really isn't there. No one is going to give a shit about you wearing an explorer.

her toenail is disusting

The Seamaster is disgusting. Agree? Disagree?

It screams 1990s. It's like something Tag would come up with.

Attached: 0pxkvecx2bp01.jpg (3264x1836, 674K)

Attached: casioaq230g.jpg (4057x2501, 3.67M)

Post toes.

>No one is going to give a shit about you wearing an explorer.
You keep saying that as if you know better than the teacher what it's like to be a teacher.
Her elbows are really pointy too, she's way below my standards. I would definitely NOT have sex with her. But I was just talking about the outfit not the disgusting thing wearing it.

Post feet plox!

What the fuck happened to your skin

Ask a watchmaker anything

You just sound like you're being insecure for no goddamn reason. It baffles me that people haven't learned to not give a shit what others think of them.

Cute nose

Do you enjoy ripping people off when they come for a simple repair and you charge them 500 bucks?

Can watch cases be casted or do they have to be machined?
I mean which ones are better in general.

No, and I don't do that. I pride myself and my shop on being very honest about our repairs. I can think of several times this year alone where a repair was simple and I didn't even charge them because the fix took 5 minutes.

You are vastly overthinking the situation because you are autistic. The huge majority of normies will not know it is a rolex. Even more normies won't even notice you are wearing a watch. They are not going to read the dial. The coronet is not even applied and is instead subtly printed.

They can be casted and be very nice if the finishing of it is done well but in general machined is much much better.

I mean you don't have to be rich to afford a Rolex either. Just don't have kids.

>The huge majority of normies will not know it is a rolex
Do you have a Rolex? No, you don't.

If you are sitting close enough to a person to talk with them in a normal tone of voice, they can see your watch. If you do that every day for a year, it's guaranteed some of them will see what kind of watch it is. And then if you're a teacher, congrats you're now "the teacher with a Rolex"

Acquaintances have mentioned the fact that I am wearing a Rolex, these are not "watch geeks" who sperg about microstellae and bruggit overcoils on the internet. They are just regular people who don't give a shit about whether it's "just a tool watch" and "only the diamond ones are tastesless, this has rugged outdoors heritage". They hear "Rolex" and they think "faggot with a super expensive watch".

Why don't you have the confidence to service higher tier movements?

>afford
There you go with that word again. Physically having $10k in the bank doesn't mean you can "afford" a Rolex. I can right now book a private jet from my nearest private jetport to go visit my mom, but I can't really "afford" it even though I have the cash.

Try and think like a normal person and not like a shut-in who thinks anime figurines and $1200 headphones isn't a completely fucking weird thing to be into.

Don’t worry user no one would ever let you near children anyway

Must feel bad to cuck yourself out of wanting nice things.

>I'm too insecure to wear something in case someone thinks less of me
Just fuck off, faggot.

This so fucking much. Most adult men can technically buy a Rolex, if you drop $10k on one the moment you have it in the bank you can’t afford it and you’re frankly a fucking idiot

Thank you for the answer, I expected that.

We service all kinds of grey market watches no matter the movement but if it came from an AD I usually recommend that they send it out to be serviced instead as to not void their warranty assuming the piece is still within warranty.

> They hear "Rolex" and they think "faggot with a super expensive watch".

Anyone who thinks that is an idiot and not worth knowing or caring about.

Just about priorities, it's 100% possible to be financially responsible and buy a Rolex by the age of 35 if you work in a public service type job.

How often do you see fakes come through? What are your thoughts on fakes. I've been looking to pick up a fake day date for a while.

Or get a real job and get one in your 20's.

Well, that's a priority too.

No, that makes you a moron
Even more of a moron. $10k dropped into an average performing, not even all that aggressive investment fund, and you just threw away over $40k worth of retirement money

I'm not the teacher. I have a Rolex, and I wear it, because in my circumstances, it's not unexpected. I'm just telling you if you're too autistic to recognize the importance of looking like an intelligent adult with his shit together, you're beyond hope.

>wearing an unassuming watch somehow makes you look unintelligent and like you don't have your shit together
You're delusional, user.

I see them come through a lot, most people don't know they're fakes though and I feel bad for them in that sense. A fake watch isn't worth the cost of materials it's made with in my opinion. A lot of people get quite angry with you when you break the news to them about fakes and I will not work on them. The one that I got a real kick out of was a fake day date that came in and it wasn't running. I immediately knew it was counterfeit when I looked at it but I took a look inside to see what kind of movement it had and it was actually a nice high beat quartz movement that had the battery hidden under the dial. The poor cunt had purchased the thing on gumtree for $1400 and was very upset about it being a fake and threatened to sue me for "stealing his watch" and replacing it with a fake.

What is a good watch to wear on Easter to church while worshiping?

Attached: casio-mq-24-7b2ldf-mens-watch-black-1449260145-066041-1.jpg (692x1000, 51K)

What watches do you like working on the best?

>guy who thought a day-date for $1400 was legit

Attached: 1495065295707.jpg (669x696, 88K)

I inherited this pocket watch from my great grandpa. Unfortunately I can only wind the clock, but not set the correct time since the crown doesn't go up. :(

Attached: IMG_20180331_010259.jpg (4032x3024, 1.88M)

Absolutely.

Now you're not a faggot with a rolex.
Now you're an insecure faggot.

What do you wanna be user?

My favorite watches to work on are mid range watches with establisbed ETA movements. Tag heuer ETA's for example. I get a little nervous on anything that runs over $5000 retail because mistakes can be costly. I rather dislike working on really inexpensive automatics due to servicing cost often being near the value of the watch. SEIKO SKX, 5 etc.
That was my thought, he thought he had gotten a great deal from a cunt that was down on his luck and needed the money.

IWC, nice. You should get it repaired if you have the means.

considering selling my PC (probably get about $3k) and using half to buy a watch

Favourite watch you own? Most amazing watch you've seen irl? Your grail watch(es)?

What watch?

no idea. I'm just bored with videogames and would rather put the money toward other hobbies and get outdoors more

Would cum inside

Nice looking early IWC you have there.

Yep, gonna try to find a repair shop to fix it.

My favorite watch I own is actually a tag heuer formula one calibre 5 I purchased a few years back believe it or not. They've really stepped up their quality in recent years and it's just a fantastic piece that holds incredible time at a really decent value if you can get an AD to work with you on price. Never pay sticker for a TAG.

Most amazing watch I've seen was a Patek Philippe 5004R. Gorgeous chronograph with a perpetual calendar and moonphase in a stunning gold case that one of my higher profile customers came in wearing when he was picking up a tudor I serviced for his kid.