Looking for a good Linux-compatible business laptop

>looking for a good Linux-compatible business laptop
>checking out reviews
>all the new ones have non-removable batteries, non-upgradable RAM, SSD, etc.
>some even have "proprietary" ethernet ports

Am I dreaming, or is this actually happening in 2018? What the FUCK is the point? What kind of business would willingly buy this garbage?

Attached: nonremovable-battery-care-670x335.jpg (670x335, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201159
youtube.com/watch?v=-YdL7Hch78s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Colapse is coming brother

XPS 13 has a service manual, if you're prepared to risk coil whine.

Latitude E6440 is still a very good machine

Soldered ram

Is there anything similar to that Dell, but with 13 or 12 inch display?

E4300 or E4200 if i recall right

thanks
they look much nicer than modern thinkpads

E4300 is the best looking laptop shell ever created imo. I wish I had technical know how to transfer my xps13s interlans into one.

>Dell, but with 13 or 12 inch display

Newest would be an E6230 or an E6330, respectively, so, being an E6x30, they're both a generation older.

The E6230 is not worth the slightly smaller size compared to the E6330.

All in all, the E6330 is still a good machine, it'll handle 16GB RAM, an Intel AC7260 WLAN card, a Gobi 4000 WWAN card, a 2nd HDD in the quick change optical bay, and a good SATA SSD in the primary HDD slot.
Get one with an i5 or an i7, and you'll have yourself a poorman's untrabook.

>E4300 is the best looking laptop shell ever created

No, that would be the Precision mobile workstations up until the M4800 and M6800

They’re unremovable because thats how they make them so slim and ridged.

However, if you’re too autistic to understand how important that is, you’re always free to build your own.

>so slim
That's fine, when confined to a line of ultraportables.
But there is no need for a work laptop to be ultrathin, in fact, there's plenty of reasons for it not to be.

If you're too much of a normalfag to understand how important serviceability is for a business-class laptop, you're always free to go fuck yourself.

Kys shill, thiness is an excuse for them to use shittier smaller less expensive batteries then try to spin it as a positive thing.

No, the real reason is to sell the same consumer grade shite to the business customers

If you want a business laptop you dont really need anything new/Dont care about performace.
Just get a thinkpad maybe get and ssd for it and some ram and you are good to go.

>you dont really need anything new

You need something new enough to run SATA III on all HDD ports, have hardware AES instructions on the CPU, run an AC wireless card, and have USB 3.0.

Attached: IMG_l6jfu.jpg (241x230, 16K)

Have you looked at system 76 laptops?

System 76

What is a "proprietary" ethernet port?

Lenovo p51/71 goat business laptop can upgrade ssd/hdd/ram removable battery 4K/touch options

overpriced
/tpg/ is the only way

Thinkpad just werks

No such thing, but most ultrabooks require a USB3.0 attached Ethernet dongle

I've used a few thinkpads, but never really liked the feel of them, always preferred Latitudes and Precisions

Have fun lugging around your rattly excuses for laptops that will simply break after one year of usage.

A great investment you got there :^)

>rattly excuses for laptops that will simply break after one year of usage.

I've been using nearly 10-year-old ThinkPad for five years now without any issues.

Business grade laptops are built for roughly ten year lifespans, consumer grade is built for two year lifespans, enthusiast grade, gaming machines, are built for about four year lifespans.

I have a chinktop from 2010, still working fine. PackardBell with AMD...

Not even acer crap breaks down this fast.

Lmao was literally expecting some autist to say some shit like this. Same, I still have my 11 year old dell laptop, but fuck no am i going to take that shot outside.

Every business. Why would management give a fuck? Companies that have enough money to give a shit about their sysadmins also have enough money to buy MacBook Pros for all their employees.

Amen.

Latitude 7380/9/90 has the same footprint as a 11.6/12.5 laptop.

>MacBook Pros for all their employees
Good luck complying with FIPS standards with that.

Latitude 7x70 series is the last gen worth buying.

My T430 can do that

Exactly, but some mongs around here start recommending ancient shit with pentiums and PATA HDDs in them

Why

Latitude 7490 or T480. Former has small bezels, and the latter has a removable battery.

What do you expect from the planned obsolescence shit of today
Buy an old Thinkpad

Because you have to if you are a vendor to the feds or federally regulated industry like healthcare.

Better off with the 7470, it was the last gen with the dock port.

off topic,
will Uboongoo's lts built in wifi drivers work on my t420?

What wireless card do you have?

Literally >>>/tpg/. Yes, this is the state of laptops in 2018, and this is the primary reason why /tpg/ exists in the first place. Grab your X230, your replacement X220 keyboard, and your spare 9-cell battery, and you're good to go. Take it from a Peep.

Mine doesn't have the whine, but two others at my work do have it. I think we've got eight of them total?

It's a fantastic laptop, if you can forgive the soldered on components and non user serviceable battery. We've got people running Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch and Slackware on them. No complaints.

If it helps, the xps13 had the same footprint as my cheap 11" Lenovo.

Is this only relevant in the US? Because I don’t live there.

Found this tho
support.apple.com/en-us/HT201159

Lenovo perhaps?
I don't know about the x1 and similar some come with soldered RAM.
I got a yoga 370 and the RAM was not soldered, the battery is removable, replaced the Nvme SSD myself the moment I got it.
Came with a USBC dongle for ethernet which is about the only annoying thing I could find about it along with it being a fingerprint magnet.

Managed to get everything except for the fingerprint reader working in arch.
Some of the special keys needed configuration via acpi, not sure if other distros work out of the box without such configuration.

7490 has a quad core.

>your replacement X220 keyboard
top autism

Yeah anything under the xx30 series i think it's just pretty stupid to try and reccomend to other people, like cool you can use it yourself fine, but just because your standards for computer use is so low doesn't mean everyone elses is, you can't just say everyone can get by with it just because you can, that's just annoying and stupid to try to even push that on others

The keyboard is based on taste, i like the new keyboard, i do like the old one but not enough to do the mod since the new one feels Just fine

>i like the new keyboard
Spoken like a true PBfag

how does soldered ram or non-upgradable ram/ssds matter if you're talking businesses?
you're not making any sense
once a laptop or a pc or whatever gets ordered, all that matters is technical support. If something goes wrong, it gets sent back. Nobody bothers diagnosing the machine because you already have a contract that pays for it.

Kek
Even my Ideapad Y700 gaymen craptop has replaceable RAM and drive ports

>once a laptop or a pc or whatever gets ordered, all that matters is technical support.

Holy hell, you really are naive.

Business that care about privacy can't send a laptop with data to a third party tech support just like that, therefore they need removable ssd/hdd, also the apple store wont have your custom system image with all the software you need and finally data recovery from a soldered ssd it's expensive.

Also easy upgradability and or removability of major components such as WLAN and WWAN cards is vital

>Holy hell, you really are naive.
Because he has paid-for tech support through his employer?
When you get a job, one that involves company-supplied hardware, you'll understand.
Even school-supplied laptops have free support.

See and gas yourself

Attached: lickit.png (270x369, 218K)

>Also easy upgradability and or removability of major components such as WLAN and WWAN cards is vital
Nonsense. If you are leasing PCs to a business the last think you need is ignorant users swapping out standard parts for bits that are being promoted in places like Jow Forums. That's a recipe for unmaintainability.
If the data on the HD is sensitive it's not an issue to reload the new PC from the user's backup. You do have backups, right?
Anyone storing personal suff on a work PC doesn't deserve any privacy. That's what USB drives are for.

>Anyone storing personal suff on a work PC doesn't deserve any privacy. That's what USB drives are for.

What is HIPAA

3/10 made me reply twice.

>Anyone storing personal suff on a work PC doesn't deserve any privacy.

Nigger, we're talking about protecting corporate intellectual property, not jimbob's hentai stash.

Secondly, there will be situations where special application specific hardware is needed, ability to adapt that machine to the job is imperative.

Not just HIPAA, the treasury dept has similar regs for accounting firms.

Why the fuck would you even let the users save anything to their computers if HIPAA is a concern. Make them use a server that is compliant.

it only coil whined when I was running fucking windows to remove that CABC bullshit.

Jesus you are dense. Maybe because their job is to deal with the sensitive personal info of others... on their work laptop. Same sorts of concerns exist in the financial sector

I don't really get why people have issues with everything mobile these days being non-upgradeable.

By the time you want to upgrade shit will have moved on anyway. If the explosion in transfer speeds we've seen over the past decade continues, we'll have mobile GPU chipset transfer speeds being rated in TB/s and the newbs next decade will be wondering how anyone coped with sub-240fps games and anything less than 1TB of ram.

Plus USB3 and even TB3 is still pretty fast these days so it's not as if you're stuck with insanely slow transfer speeds.

>I don't really get why people have issues with everything mobile these days being non-upgradeable.
That's because you're a faggot.

Moore's Law has been dead for a few years, user, and things have been fast enough for a lot of uses since the C2D era (hence all those old Thinkpads) It's less about upgrading it than about maintaining it. The fan on my T500 was making odd noises so I bought a new HSF for twenty bucks from some chink seller on Newegg and opened the thing up and replaced it. It didn't even take an hour, and I didn't have to pay rip-off """service center""" prices.

Yeah, it's weird. For some reason they started to fuck over business laptops in the same ways as consumer laptops, as if they had the same user base. This is why you see Jow Forums sticking to older ThinkPads mostly.

There's also the issue of Intel ME, AMD PSP, meltdown/spectre, etc. If we're talking non-laptops, GPU prices are high, RAM prices are high. It's one of the worst times to buy a new computer that I've ever witnessed. It's just awful. I don't know how we're gonna get out of this.

it literally has more buttons in the same space

Why is there a recent anti-thinkpad trend on Jow Forums?

Attached: X220-22.jpg (800x574, 166K)

2bh I do not mind soldered on components and lack of replaceable battery. The biggest flaw of the xps 13 to me is lack of the clit mouse.
So I will probably get x270 instead, sadly Lenovo don't give a fuck about Linux anymore.

I blame Microsoft.

youtube.com/watch?v=-YdL7Hch78s

Get a thinkpad, pleb.

We won't have stable 200 fps in a long while, desktop OS themselves operate on order of 5ms delays. We'll have to move on from Windows and Linux.

New people from other places being contrarian for the sake of it. Possibly related to all the anti-GNU posts as well.

>wagie
>calls other normalfags
gross

Attached: 1503945937315.jpg (226x223, 17K)

>I don't really get why people have issues with everything mobile these days being non-upgradeable.

It isn't about, upgradability, per se, rather it is about reconfigurability for job specific needs.

>What kind of business would willingly buy this garbage?
Nearly all of them. Businesses don't give a shit about muh freedoms or open sores

It's supposed to work and not look embarrassing. Business laptops are disposable, you use them, then your corporation buys new ones and the old ones get auctioned off.

It's not going to be someone's permanent daily driver used long after the hardware is already completely obsolete like most Jow Forumsentoomen's thinkpads

>It's supposed to work and not look embarrassing
You seem to be confusing an executive's laptop with technician or engineer's work laptops, these are vastly different roles.

Yeah, you could tell that upper middle management lickspittle that a $100 chromebook is the next generation Toughbook, and for all he would know or care, it would be.

But that shit won't fly with your field service engineers and techs.
Those guys, and what they do on a daily basis, are why business laptops are built the way they are.

>proprietary" ethernet ports
What???? Anyone have pics?

What's the problem with soldered ram?
You do know you can desolder things right?

New x280 has it.

Attached: x280.png (999x199, 258K)

You need tools for that.
Also, why solder it in the first place ?

SOY

it's a huge hassle and more != better
and key actuation is the same

xps 13

XPS is not business grade, they are enthusiast grade, a step above consumer grade, but not much more.

In this case, what's wrong with just configuring it the way you need when you order?