/fglt/ - friendly GNU/Linux thread

old: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail, disroot or cock.li

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: Computer_bomb.jpg (1006x850, 236K)

Other urls found in this thread:

overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
vulnhub.com/
hackthebox.eu/
kali.org/
metasploit.com/
abatchy.com/2017/03/how-to-prepare-for-pwkoscp-noob
youtube.com/channel/UCa6eh7gCkpPo5XXUDfygQQA
eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/
offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/oscp-offensive-security-certified-professional/
ibm.com/developerworks/community/files/form/anonymous/api/library/635ec0e2-2989-4663-82d2-3488f9d16dd8/document/09d6ec5f-ff2f-4901-8d44-05d10e848bc5/media
danwin1210.me/uploads/F3thinker !- Hacking 2017/1. Advanced Penetration Testing Hacking 2017.pdf
leaksource.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/hacking-the-art-of-exploitation.pdf
github.com/urukrama/Themes/tree/master/Erthe
help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
arcolinux.info/
howtoforge.com/tutorial/perfect-server-debian-9-stretch-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-1/
askubuntu.com/questions/181948/can-i-automatically-purge-every-package-ive-ever-uninstalled/181950#181950
ghostbin.com/paste/574og
docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kde-workspace/kcontrol/powerdevil/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How do I get my desktop to look like this? Anyone have a guide or anything?

Attached: ideal desktop.png (1920x1200, 814K)

Good thread.

it says right in the image
i3 and xterm

Upvoted

What are some non-obnoxious terminals? xterm and st are both fucky on my system and don't support scrollback even after patching

just grab urxvt. less bloated than xterm but should give you the functionality you desire

That was my original choice, same problems. I can't get scrollback working, it always just spits garbage onto the console. I'm all for avoiding bloat but at this point I just want something that does its job while I figure out why the others are being dumb

xfce4-terminal is the only usable terminal emulator in the entire GNU/Linux ecosystem

>that pic

didn't there used to be 'hacker man' general threads here? what happened to those?

use tmux within st

Not even a single one in the archive. I remember seeing them all the time just a few weeks ago.

Does anyone have any idea why I could be getting an error while trying to install Cinnamon on RHEL7? When I run "Yum install Cinnamon -y" I get an error that I require pexpect, network-manager-applet, and lm_sensors.

I have EPEL set, and tried setting 'notify_only=0' in search-disabled-repos.conf, but that just gave me a bolean error. I'm at a lost here what I'm messing up.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-01 17-41-40.png (734x535, 66K)

I stopped making them after the general population of this place turned them into a shitfest of people larping, wanting more and more pasta without ever digesting any of it, and constantly, repeatedly asking about certs while still not studying.

Attached: 9EC8E92B-57F6-40F7-9D3F-B9399ADFC1AF.png (680x680, 888K)

there is no point in going that far ricing your desktop unless if you enjoy flopping your epeen to shit like this

oh, that's a shame. I just started watching mr robot and wanted too to become a 1337 hackerman.
Seriously though, could you point me in the direction of some good resources? I'm a bit of a brainlet.

Well got it to get the last two, but still can't get pexpect.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-01 19-21-36.png (761x1021, 190K)

Here is the OG pasta I used to put in every thread. It’s still valid, and follow it from top to bottom

/hmg/ Hackerman General

In /hmg/ we discuss pentesting, ctfs, exploits, and general being a hackerman.

Resources:

VM/CTFs:
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>easy beginner bullshit

vulnhub.com/
>prebroken images to work on.

hackthebox.eu/
>super secret club

Tools:
kali.org/
>meme dragon distro but it just werks

metasploit.com/
>scriptkiddie starting point and swiss army knife

Tutorials/Guides:
abatchy.com/2017/03/how-to-prepare-for-pwkoscp-noob
>From zero to OSCP-hero rough outline

youtube.com/channel/UCa6eh7gCkpPo5XXUDfygQQA
>IppSec, video guides for retired HTB VMs.

Certs:
eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/
>CEH, only looks good a resume to non-technical in HR

offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/oscp-offensive-security-certified-professional/
>OSCP, the big dick swinging exam, 24 hours to own 5 machines and a further 24 hours to write up a report detailing your methods.

ibm.com/developerworks/community/files/form/anonymous/api/library/635ec0e2-2989-4663-82d2-3488f9d16dd8/document/09d6ec5f-ff2f-4901-8d44-05d10e848bc5/media

>web app hackers handbook.
Thanks IBM!

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:f91feb6d2ea93f1c3c03b6be52051c2df72da1b7&dn=CERTCOLLECTION+-+BASELINE+-+SANS+%26+Offensive-Security&tr=udp%3A//tracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A//tracker.zer0day.to%3A1337&tr=udp%3A//public.popcorn-tracker.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A//tracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A//explodie.org%3A6969

>OSCP videos

danwin1210.me/uploads/F3thinker !- Hacking 2017/1. Advanced Penetration Testing Hacking 2017.pdf

>Advanced Penetration Testing

leaksource.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/hacking-the-art-of-exploitation.pdf

>learn assembly and C

thanks, user

Terminator. There is no other choice.
>Inb4 bloat comments

what does Jow Forums think of windows subsystem for linux? Trying to learn linux with its bash shell

trying to learn the command line *

I tried to use the ssh binary on windows a few times
It doesn't work all that well for me, but maybe I need to configure it to do what I expect when I press navigational keys

literally why would I ever want a terminal that does anything more than just executing commands that I type into it? I truly have no idea.
What I want in a terminal:
1. executes commands
2. is an emulation of the shell
3. exists in a window
Why are there so many terminals?

You're trying to learn GNU with GNU bash.
The WSL doesn't contain Linux.

Attached: 1522539342285.jpg (1080x844, 93K)

> what does Jow Forums think of windows subsystem for linux
It's like heading to a gay club in order to have sex with a girl.

rice

I've been using st for a while and have just been using tmux to handle the scrollback

Switched from Windows 10 to Ubuntu because windows 10 was tooo fucking slow on this 7year old laptop.

I need word and onedrive, how do I use this on linux? (online not good enough and libreoffice doesn't have enough of the features I need).

I just ordered a raspberry pi b+ to mess around with and have for my tv. I've never used Linux before so what distro would you guys recommend?

>word
WPS Office.
>onedrive
I don't know if there's a way to get this to work on Linux, good luck.

>WPS Office
would love to but use zotero for my research which I think only works on word or libre

>onedrive
I was looking it up and I think it can but I want to sync because my calibre library is on it.

Retropie for games, Raspbian for anything else.
Unfortunately, those are pretty much the only good options for the Pi... Actually, I haven't tried Alpine on it yet, but that wouldn't be any good for a noob anyways.

building a new pc and going to run Ubuntu. Ive only started using linux so is there something i should really look out for while picking parts? Money isnt really an issue so i wouldnt mind going ham

Should I really go for that? I have a 128 gb micro sd card and a 1tb flash drive so space isn't an issue. I'd like something that I can spend time learning and be proud of my development in. I don't want something easy but I don't want something ball crushing hard. Just starting my CS degree if that helps.

>would love to but use zotero for my research which I think only works on word or libre
You can install the actual ms office with playonlinux. It's been like 4 years since the last time I last did that, but it should still work I guess...

Yes, I've tried a lot of distros and most of them are slow as shit or/and barely have any documentation.
There's Raspbian Lite if you want to install things from scratch (that's usually what I use), but yeah I wouldn't recommend that for someone that has never used Linux before... Just go with vanilla Raspbian then try something else when you're confident enough.
And yeah I remembered that Ubuntu Mate was also okay, but I still recommend Raspbian.

Want to install Kubuntu. Should I just wait for 18.04?

No need to, just install 18.04 beta now. After it gets officially released as stable do a normal apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade (or equivalent upgrade with other tools) and boom you have 18.04LTS

How can I blow up the computer of my mortal enemy?

Alright, I'll probably just wait until the final beta since it's only in a few days, just to be safe.

How would one go about writing to a terminal (suckless) screen through a named pipe?

Go for an AMD GPU, nvidia linux drivers suck ass.

what's a good alternative to musicbee. don't know how to WINE. just need something that looks nice, is a library rather than playlist thing and can sync my songs to my android easily.

I use void currently since don't want to deal with systemd on arch and other distros. Might just give up on the non systemd meme since the distros without systemd are literally autistic. I would like to try Debian but I hear their packages are pretty far behind and I want to be on the latest and greatest. So wat do now? Am I stuck on void?

Attached: 1361279053612.png (193x247, 93K)

Ill bite. Gentoo having the latest stuff.....

It does (the newest versions of software are usually marked unstable aka. masked but it takes one command to unmask them).
It also has a lot extensions for portage called overlays (similar to Ubuntu PPAs and Arch AUR) also a lot of packages have a 9999 version ebuild which pulls the source code to compile right from the devs VCS.

Eh but still, getting sick of spending days configuring shit, let alone trying to compile stuff..

I do not have any external media to use for Linux image boot.

I have Ubuntu .iso and left over partition scheme from previous installation that I never deleted

Is there any way install Ubuntu with my setup?

Go outside and buy a usb stick for a couple bucks

The closest shop where I could get USB stick is almost 20 kilometers away..

you could use a walk

when I was a young kid I took a 5,56×45 mm to my hip in a war and I can not walk without pain in my home, let alone 20 km. jog

oh
i'm sorry user

I'm afraid.

I have a theme I so like, but it only exists for gtk2. is there a way to port it to gtk3? can I do it by myself but without to understand gtk as a whole ffs im a brainlet but i want this theme.
github.com/urukrama/Themes/tree/master/Erthe

Do you have a working system on that computer?

Yes, Windows 10.

Here is a method I used a few times. Absolutely no warranty.

1. download and install Neosmart EasyBSD (free as in free beer)
2. start easyBCD, inside it set windows to not use the metro bootloader screen and set boot menu to count down (from 5 sec for example)
3. in the add new menu item add Neosmart GRUB (basically grub4dos, based on GRUB 0.97)
4. Go to help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD and grab a mini.iso for the ubuntu release you want to install
5. from the mini.iso extract two files: "linux" and "initrd.gz" put them to an easy to access location like C:\ubuntu
6. reboot, from the windows boot menu select neosmart grub
7. Now you are in the grub prompt. start ubuntu installer with
root (hd0,0)
kernel /ubuntu/linux
initrd /ubuntu/initrd.gz

change hd0,0 and /ubuntu/ as needed
8. press F10 to boot. The text mode ubuntu installer will start, proceed as usual. This is netinstall, it will download files from the internet as needed. You will have the choice to install any of the ubuntu flavours (desktop, server, xubuntu, kubuntu, ubuntu-mate etc)

YOLO

arcolinux.info/

I'm learning C# for my new job and I realized, that I can just run the executables without using mono explicitly under GNU/Linux. Does someone know what kind of black magic mono is doing to be able to let me implicitly run Windows .EXE files under GNU/Linux this way?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-02_17-37-33.png (500x59, 12K)

best distro for an unemployed loser?

NixOS

How do I create useful stuff in the terminal itself? I don't have the time to work with GUI. Any good libraries which work with C?
I want a value to change multiple times in top right corner, is there a better way do this other than clearing the whole screen when updating top right with a new value?

ncurses is what you want

Thanks!

debian: literally replace four words in apt list, dist upgrade and you have unstable; copy paste one line from wiki and reboot to use openrc

>not glorious GuixSD
Pathetic

Hello, I want to set my server on x220 in order to learn sysadmin stuff. I have no experience in managing those things so don't be cruel to me
I'm doing everything like in this tutorial howtoforge.com/tutorial/perfect-server-debian-9-stretch-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-1/
I think I have a problem because my output in point 4 and 8 differ form mine. I get only server1.example.com instead of
root@server1:/tmp# hostname
server1
root@server1:/tmp# hostname -f
server1.example.com
and tcp6 0 0 [::]:mysql [::]:* LISTEN 17776/mysqld instead of
root@server1:/home/administrator# netstat -tap | grep mysql
tcp6 0 0 [::]:mysql [::]:* LISTEN 17776/mysqld
root@server1:/home/administrator#
Am I doing something wrong?

I forgot to mention that I changed server1 and example to other names

Why do they hate Linux mint?

because it is bloated with priopretary software

>Am I doing something wrong?
Not sure what you're even trying to do. What is output of cat /etc/hostname or hostname to and why would it matter anyway?

Sorry meant to say hostnamectl in 2nd code brackets

This

>meme dragon distro but it just werks
I liked the light version without the tools, it was a real comfy distro. Now I use Ubuntu Server with i3.

output ot the first command is my hostname bu the second command gives me
Unknown operation to

>still, getting sick of spending days configuring shit
>let alone trying to compile stuff
Why the fuck did you install Gentoo then?

>Unknown operation to

How bad is it to have ZIL SLOG and ARC2 on the same SSD?

I typed it like you said

hello I'm tying to use Syslinux to boot a Gentoo system in ext4 partition.

I'm having this error message
"Failed to load ldlinux.c32"

And yes, I copied all the *c32 files

I tried symlinking /boot/extlinux to /boot/syslinux and its config file but its no working

inb4
> he fell for the meme
> just use grub :DDDDDD

pls help thank

Attached: 1519081960721.jpg (400x400, 25K)

I thought debian had systemd but if you don't have hostnamectl then idk wtf you got goin on

okay I fixed it.
I had to make a separate boot partition with ext2.
Did a backup first using tar, re partition the drive, untar again, and move boot to that partition.

Apparently there's some 64-bit stuff with ext4 that extlinux does not likes.

i installed kde using

apt install kde-standard

and now i cant remove this shitty bloat ;_;

how do i git rid of it. xfce is far superiour ty

Try these commands as root:

apt-get remove kde-standard
apt-get -y autoremove

Last command removes orphan packages. Aka those who depend on kde but now kde is kill.

Last but not required:

(Copy and paste as root)

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs dpkg --purge

This snippet removes all the config files of those packages who have been removed.

The source for this one is:

askubuntu.com/questions/181948/can-i-automatically-purge-every-package-ive-ever-uninstalled/181950#181950

Hope it works

Any i3wm users in here? I'm trying to get a specific webpage to open on a specific workspace every time. Problem is I already have
assign [class="Firefox"] $WS1
How would I bypass that?

nvm got it working

>implicitly run Windows .EXE files under GNU/Linux this way
Those are .net executables, not windows. Mono was designed to work with that.

Is there something liked trinus for Linux? Want to control linux with phone's orientation sensors. Or perhaps a c library?

Or some way to connect a gyroscope (+ pi? ) to Linux to control it

I just installed KDE Plamsa on Debian via the kde-full metapackage. I don't see the battery indicator nor do I have power management in settings. Any advice?

Finally getting around to installing linux on my desktop, and holy shit is W10 a pain in the ass to get rid of. It's turned on secure boot by default, which means i cant install the distro i want if it doesnt have a key for secure boot. I can load into it via usb, but its locked off from accesing other drives so i cant wipe and install. so I'm having to dual-boot with openSUSE, which does have a key, so that I can wipe the part of my disk with windows, and then finally install manjaro like I want. And thats assuming openSUSE will have acces to the windows partition, which if it doesnt i will personally walk to Bill Gate's house and slit his pupils with broken redhat cd's. god fucking damn.

Having trouble with wifi, copy pasting issue
Hey, solus works great but if I switch on WiFi and connect to my phone's hotspot, the laptop crashes after a few seconds/minutes. Internet does work during these seconds/minutes. This does not happen on Windows so I assume it is a software issue. Any drivers which I can reinstall from the package manager? Device is a Thinkpads L. Internet does work without crashes when I use USB tethering.
By crashes, I mean everything freezes. I have to long press the power button to force shutdown. (Can't access the cltl alt terminals either).
Log -ghostbin.com/paste/574og

you're defo doing something wrong
check your bios settings for secure boot or disable it in windows

Sorry, I don't use KDE, but "powerdevil" seems to be available on the debian repos. Tried installing that?

docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kde-workspace/kcontrol/powerdevil/index.html

Attached: 1518136815226.jpg (680x649, 55K)

right click -> set as wallpaper