/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try disroot, autistici or aktivix

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1517494506350.jpg (3720x2800, 3.18M)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/L3usb
wiki.libvirt.org/page/Guest_can_reach_outside_network,_but_can't_reach_host_(macvtap)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

GNU/Linux is botnet

How do I make my desktop look like this? Can someone link me a guide or something

Attached: ideal desktop.png (1920x1200, 814K)

Install archlinux, i3 and some themes. Done

how do you usually go about troubleshooting? I have this weird freeze happening maybe once a day, and when it happens I can only break out of it by shutting off the power. Everything is unresponsive, even the capslock button and other LEDs that I can use even during BIOS.

Good thread.

What does that smelly old hippie even do all day

I'm using the icon theme Mist on xfce. They are displayed correctly in the file manager windows (left), but some other windows like "save as" (right) use these high-contrast icons. How can I fix this? I copied the Mist icons to ~/.icons, ~/.local/share/icons and /usr/share/icons.

Attached: Bildschirmfoto_2018-04-01_19-57-53.png (247x58, 3K)

It literally says right in your screenshot everything he's using.

Go install i3 gaps and the icons and themes in his image, and then spend hours configuring your fonts and everything else to look like his

Fighting for freedom.

Trys to install gentoo

I start with google

He failed to mention that you must be using Libreboot if you want to experience the true GNU/Linux.

Hello. I can't write to ntfs partitions anything. Although in the properties->permissions it shows my username and that it has read& write, the same for the group(which is my username). I used options for ntfs-3g from debian wiki. What should I do? Also I disabled fast startup on windows 8.1.

Why i should use GNU/Linux instead of Windows?

typical mini

mini?

Responds to emails using emacs, and gives talks. He can't write code anymore, since he has RSI.

Why does every gnome theme or whatever DE you use look like shit? Even if you try to make it look like windows it still looks like a knockoff rather than 1:1 copy.

Hey. I've got a GPU passthrough setup going but ran into some issues with an evdev passthrough setup for my mouse and keyboard. It was shit.

Now I'm trying a full software KVM switch but Bash is being a faggot and I can't fucking figure it out.

Using this archived site: archive.fo/L3usb

I've got my device vedorID's in the devices[@] array, but I get an error from bash that reads "value too great for base (error token is "046d") "

With 046d being the first half of a vendor:product ID.

help me I want to die.

My supervisor uses Word (on Mac) and I want to use libreoffice (and switch to ubuntu) what file format will give the most features (like comments and math symbols and the standard) but also be compatible across both?

what are you using?
spice has usb passthrough built in

Isn't the responsiveness on spice shitty? That's why I'm doing all this bullshit.
But I guess all the information I'm reading is like a year old.
This is for muh gaymes.

libvirt wrapper for qemu. Forgot to say.

maybe just pass through an entire usb bus
or buy a pci usb 3.0 bus to pass through if you're that worried about responsiveness.

You ever stare at a problem for too long only to realize how big of a dumbass you are. I feel, probably am, retarded.
Thanks for the talk though. It's done.

How do I use write a rsync script to sync many directories over SSH so that I wont be prompted for the keyfile password each time? Could I just set up a tunnel or something?

Hey guys. I've been messing around with CloverOS this weekend.
I having a spot of confusion regarding urxvt.
I'd like my default shell to be Bash, and I've made it so for local and root user using the chsh command.
The problem is whenever I open new terminal in urxvt, it still uses zsh.
I'd be grateful for some help. When I try a search engine, I keep getting stuff for ricing the terminal font rather than what I need.

Attached: momoland_1480562488_jy3.jpg (480x720, 57K)

For starters, stop posting korean plastic slut

No.

autossh

You shouldnt

Look for the shared connection option in the fucking manual

Is that pic the Reichenbach Falls? Holmes or Moriarty: which is Stallman?

i wonder what richard stallman does on his pc all day

Attached: caf295e9665feff0ea361167e55a7811.jpg (564x1026, 73K)

Then you're fucked.

jerks to cartoon girls. like the rest of us

Are you autist he is a typical mini. I am a top tier peanut butter fuck cream and chocolate

Retard here, what desktop environment is he using?

i3

Edit ~/.fvwm2rc, remove -e zsh from urxvt -e zsh

mcomix users, have you had any problems with library scanning?
The program just halts while scanning and I get something like
00:58:41 [MainThread] ERROR: ! Callback failed: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
It isn't the end of the world, but it's a shame I can't look at the covers of mango or doujinshi on it.
If I could look folder or archive covers on thunar, then I wouldn't be so sad desu.

Attached: Sad Horo.jpg (950x534, 28K)

Any opinion regarding CentOS vs. OpenSUSE for a server system?
I want to install a low-traffic but production (development server) running things like Gitlab, etc.
I'm an OpenBSD guy. I'm familiar with CentOS (yum, etc.) but I'm wondering if OpenSUSE would have other benefits.

Which one is better from a security point of view? Ideally I'd like not to spend my life maintaining that system...

He fights for your freedom.

Attached: Richard-Stallman-4.jpg (960x720, 187K)

Replying to myself, I should have done more research before asking...

Good points for OpenSUSE:
+ also a good desktop environment for someone like me who prefers KDE (this way I use same distrib on client and server)
+ YaST, available with ncurses, makes it easy for non-Linux admins

Good points for CentOS:
+ more common in enterprises, so good skill transfer
+ my girlfriend uses it

i have a shitty 20gb vps that is fast as fuck
i have a 23 tb server at home that is slower
I do not want to seed from home

would it be viable to have my 20gb vps have an sshfs mount of my server at home and seed from it? utilizing the caching that sshfs provides

pls no bully

>feedbro just purged all of my rss feeds
What in the actual fuck is going on. Should have knows something with bro on its name would be bad news.

>be stallman
>be traveling
>be at beautiful waterfall
>back turned, stuck on a laptop
I feel bad for him honestly.

Trying to watch dvds on mpv or vlc.
I installed libdvd-read, libdvd-menu, and libdvdcss2 and neither allows me to play my own legally owned movies..

MPEG-2 expired so what's the big deal why isn't this crap working?
I can play cd's just fine.

Plus, he can only use shitty GNU software.

>an sshfs mount of my server at home and seed from it?
that's a silly idea
but post your 23tb serb

What's a distro/bsd that is free as in freedom/free-time ?
Im mainly going to be running:
- GNS3 for school
- an IDE for C
- haskell platform
- and Nvidia drivers
Interested in Guix and pureOS but also wanted to know,
what are some minimal time consuming OSs that wont take up my time ; setting-up, fixing broken I/O, drivers, libraries etc.

Attached: 1520812000616.jpg (832x1200, 85K)

>shitty
>GNU
Pick one, sir.

user, i..

Puppy linux + KDE
Is it a bloat?
Or a way to get versatility yon light wight distro?

Attached: KDE358.jpg (1680x1050, 247K)

>an IDE for C
Just use vim you dweeb

What resources (ram/disk space) does a live usb system (linux) use? Thats temporar but does it use ram or rest of remaining usb space while running?

your USB is a read only filesystem. if you directly wrote the ISO to the USB then the rest of the space is just wasted and unusable. if you formatted and installed a bootloader then it's usable.

the live environment is a read only filesystem with a ramdisk overlay. everything you write to the new filesystem is written on an overlay to the ramdisk and is lost after reboot.

Why are there 2 /fglt/ threads, and why are both of them actually active? As far as I can tell this should be the correct one.

>set up brightness key keybinds in openbox
>does nothing
>open up xev, key isnt showing XF86MonBrightnessDown on press
>Reboot
>itjustwerks.jpg

Good thread.

xev never shows those special key symbolic names for me. They still work though.

it shows them for the rest of them even XF86MonBrightnessUp its just that for some reason it wasn't registering as that key being pressed

Are there any distros besides obongo that even start on new nvidia cards with a displayport monitor connected?
All I get on most non -buntu distros is my displayport monitor continuously turning on and off with my other DVI monitor completely black.

>using a laptop on a boat
autistic narcissism at it finest

Attached: 1494865953077.jpg (400x408, 9K)

computer < displayport - miniDP > monitor
was plug&play for me on gentoo with the proprietary nvidia driver

Does anyone know how to write to a suckless terminal through a named pipe?

Unfortunately, I live in the middle of literally where, amazon doesn't deliver and chinkexpress is going to take like 2 months to get that converter here.

Are there any guides/tutorial/manuals on the tools included with kali linux?
>inb4 script kiddie

Attached: 1515511929966.jpg (1024x576, 53K)

can you guys show me your terminal/tmux setups?

i use WSL ubuntu via wsltty on windows 10 because i'm an idort
i'm trying to make my terminal nice and pretty and usable for general scripting and ssh and stuff

Attached: 1520296139890.png (1920x1080, 99K)

How do I configure ssh in termux?, I haven't been able to get my RCA key to work in the PC I want to ssh from to my cellphone

did you put the public key in $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys ?

Thank you.

Attached: MOMOLAND-JooE-XPN.jpg (540x615, 50K)

That might be the most pig-disgusting flat-face I've ever seen. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Bumping this.

What else should he do? use a desktop?

At the Kali website.

install gentoo

Seljalandsfoss in Iceland?

Would a USB CD/DVD reader work fine out of the box on a Ubuntu based distro?

Attached: usb_cd.jpg (400x400, 18K)

>Ubuntu based
What

>I use WSL
good luck scrub

linux is pretty good with drivers now

I meant what I said.

PureOS or should I just use normal debian ?

Is there a pre-riced distro? If I'm gonna spend time learning this operating system I want it to look pretty while I do it.

Manjaro i3 or bspwm edition for Arch based, Bunsenlabs for Debian based.

After two hours trying to setup my wireless connection I found that there is a wizard on nmtui, and after 30 seconds it was running. I don't know why this isn't the first thing that is mentioned when someone seems to have this kind of problem. This isn't the first time that I spend hours trying to configure something manually just to discover that there is a wizard that make everything very simple. I guess I'm just too stupid for linux, should stick with a graphical interface, at least...

I'm trying to save my install of KDE Neon that screwed up when the power went out during an update.
I found out that this can just go into recovery mode, but if I try to use dpkg it just stops somewhere near the beginning. What do I do?

I'm trying to establish an SSH connection between a Linux host and a Windows guest and can't. My sshd.socket daemon is listening on it's port, and I don't think iptables is to blame because I actually disabled that shit just to try and it didn't work.

Worse part? It was working like a charm this morning.

Stupid question: I don't have to forward ports for local->local connections right? lol.

Is this with KVM?

where do i get the 32 bit version of arch?

using qemu

well what's going on there is that neither of the common virtual network adapter settings let guest-host communication just werk. If you do NAT, then yeah, you have to forward ports just like you would if you're doing NAT with physical hardware. It's just that the router is KVM's network definition (which you can change with virsh edit) If you're using a bridged adapter so that the VM appears like a regular machine on the same subnet as the host, then you have the problem that most switches don't do "hairpinning", which is getting a packet on one port and turning it 180 degrees and sending it back to where it came. Hence the packets the VM sends can't come back to the host.

The thing you need to do is create an isolated virtual network, and give the guest a second NIC tied to it. That network won't have internet access, but it'll allow guest-host communications. The first network can reach everything except the host. Here's a guide to doing this: wiki.libvirt.org/page/Guest_can_reach_outside_network,_but_can't_reach_host_(macvtap)

Why does this happen? Mainly because making guest-host communication just werk would require a bunch of really ugly hacks to the kernel's networking stack, which the KVM devs have no desire to do. Virtualbox does it, which is why it needs a kernel module and why its networking is slow. And was a contributing factor in keeping at least some of it out of upstream until recently, I believe.

Thanks a ton, this is a huge help.

Thoughts on terminal applications? Are they pointless, or does something make the terminal more special than an x window?

Attached: images.png (273x185, 8K)

makes you look like a pro hacker.
use arch with terminal apps in starbucks to show those macfag normies.

I love it, I could probably do the same in X but the console is just so clutter free. If I could do everything in tmux I would.

Our predecessors moved mountains and oceans on 128kB shitboxes without going insane.

Worked like an absolute charm. I kept getting bullshit in my google results and it was making me fucking mad. Saved the day. Thanks.

Yea I have a terminal app for just about everything, I was just wondering if they were pointless considering how general purpose terminals have become. One argument could be that with terminals io could be redirected from child programs, so your only using one window.