Why people still recommend Ubuntu to normies, or as baby-linux*?

Why people still recommend Ubuntu to normies, or as baby-linux*?
Ubuntu is just shit. African meme. There are much better, more stable distributions of GNU/Linux, and they are still good for normies and beginners, since they come fully equipped (but some codecs, that are easy to install, literally two clicks). I'm speaking of distributions like Fedora, OpenSUSE.
Fedora provides the good GNOME experience.
OpenSUSE provides best KDE experience.
XFCE, LXDE - both distros provide good experience, even though icons look so 90's...

* - GNU/Linux

Attached: noobuntu.jpg (241x209, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.com/81zfg9rr
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You greatly overestimate normies.

Attached: 1373334964203.jpg (640x480, 55K)

I just installed Linux Mint.
Fight me.

>XFCE, LXDE - both distros
>distros
stupid cremeposter

Because Ubuntu had a history of being good with normies. It was even in their slogan back in the day: "Linux for human beings." They had a reputation for being the distro you could most easliy give to granny.
Nowadays, idk. I haven't bothered with a lot of the noob friendly distros lately, but I've been hearing a lot of anons complaining about Ubuntu recently. Perhaps it's because Ubuntu has made the cloud their new direction, abandoning shit like mir, Unity, and the phone?
Either way, it would be nice to really pin down the exact distro to recommend, as it apparently isn't Ubuntu anymore

Well, I'm speaking about normies, who can reinstall Windows, but don't really know how it works, like my dad.
He was tired of Windows update thing, and I told him to install GNU/Linux and gave him a USB Zip Disquette with OpenSUSE. After 20 minutes he finished installing, and he've installed Chrome already (from rpm).
Idk, Mint might be pretty stable, since it has picrelated, but I've never tried it.
>Either way, it would be nice to really pin down the exact distro to recommend, as it apparently isn't Ubuntu anymore
Yep.

Attached: Update-Linux-Mint-18-Beta.png (693x480, 34K)

It's unity. It runs a shit on older technology and it's got too much bloat crap installed by default.

New normie linux is (and has been for a while) Mint.

strawpoll.com/81zfg9rr
I've made a poll...

Speaking of Mint, is it a derivative of Debian, or Ubuntu? Or used to be a derivative from Ubuntu and became a Debian derivative?

Both. The main release is based on Ubuntu, but there's also a rolling release based on Debian.

I thought elementaryOS was trying to usurp Ubuntu as the normix.

I'm happy using Mint. The UI is intuitive enough that I can get things done without knowing Linux in-depth. The Debian-based releases seem to dominate in terms of Google results for anything I search for so one of these would naturally be the candidate for what OP is asking, imo.

Question: does Mint have that "Additional Drivers" utility that automatically handles driver installs?

>I thought elementaryOS was trying to usurp Ubuntu as the normix.
ElementaryOS is shittier than Ubuntu. It is good only on screenfetch threads.
>I'm happy using Mint. The UI is intuitive enough that I can get things done without knowing Linux in-depth.
It is good, but is it stable? When I was using Ubuntu - I always had a 'checkengine' sign in tray, because something happened to some packages...
Idk, this didn't quite worked for me on Ubuntu (broadcom WiFi-let, it detected it, and it worked in Live session...). And I wasn't able to install driver from USB Zip disquette, or *.deb archives.
On OpenSUSE everything was described in wiki, with links to rpms, ein klick and there is a WiFi, fully functional.

I haven't had cause to find out; my hardware so far has worked out of the box, so to speak. A casual Google search indicates that there is a utility for installing proprietary drivers, if that's what you mean.

>It is good, but is it stable?
I'm no expert here but I haven't had trouble with it--then again, I only use it over Ubuntu because I found Unity to be unintuitive and a hassle so I started using Mint back then so I would have a traditional desktop. My understanding is that both are roughly the same under the hood so if you had stability or driver issues with Ubuntu, I would expect the same from the other Debian-based releases.

Ubuntu, Mint and Debian share the same apt-get package manager, but on Debian it never broke on me, but on Ubuntu - like 2-3 weeks, and after update it bricks itself.
Since Mint uses their own repos and 'Don't break my computer!' option, I think, that it will be more stable...
Fuck, I thought I quit distro hopping.

Yeah that's what I mean.

>Fuck, I thought I quit distro hopping.
just install gentoo. It's the final destination.

Why? I'm fine with OpenSUSE.
I've tried Gentoo, and I didn't liked that it doesn't have an installed, but it was so easy on memory, OpenRC is much better then PoetterigD.

Ubuntu is the closest thing to windows you can get

Personally, Lubuntu is about the best beginner experience for Gnu/Linux.

>I've tried Gentoo, and I didn't liked that it doesn't have an installed
what did he mean by this?

Too lazy to install it manually, and too stupid to make a backup image with dd.
Compiling takes some time, and binaries are just outdated...
Just not worth it, since I have 8 gigs of RAM.

Yes

openSuSE is superior due to its integration of btrfs snapshots including custom grub patches. I use gentoo myself but would recommend openSuSE to normies over Ubuntu or fedora.

OpenSuSE also has a nice GUI for a lot of thing in the system, that in other distributions are done with console.

Ubuntu is still the best for noob developers. All tutorials target ubuntu lts versions. As an intermediate developer I still prefer Ubuntu based distros for this reason. I use kde neon though, which is based on ubuntu. As I get older, I just want a stable distro which is well supported in the dev community.

Replace apt with zypper or yum is so difficult, so OpenSUSE developers included a symlink apt-get to zypper...

I like kde neon so fight me

Calculets are not asked.

I refuse to install anything with any association with FUCKING Africa

>disquette
A what?

Someone needs to make an Ubuntu Bix Nood edition.

Attached: main-qimg-c68ebe7c730bec453b6f927c2df93a5a-c.jpg (399x443, 70K)

I'd say Antergos is the closest thing to Windows. It's easy to install, gets all the latest updates as Arch does, and you can set it up to be normieproof.

He's saying both openSUSE and Fedora provide good experience with those DEs.

now that's racist, user

>meanwhile in Africa

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-02-08-16-31-575_com.android.chrome.png (1080x1872, 749K)

Because you have no idea what you're talking about, you retard.
Ubuntu has de-facto the biggest active community out of all Linux distributives. Out of all distributives, your best chances of getting proper support and finding solutions to your problems quickly are with Ubuntu.
There are plenty of distros better-suited for different specific purposes, including full desktop replacement if you are into that kind of perversion, but Ubuntu specifically is as reliable as Linux for a newbie can possibly go.

good to see chocolate and creme as friends again. No hard feelings, k?

Ubuntu has most usable gnome oob.

post-normie here. I've tried to use mint before, but my laptop didn't function properly under it.
My screen has a too high resolution and also has touch functionality, so I absolutely love using GNOME. There were some other hardware issues, especially with the GPU, that stopped me from using mint.
I'm now on Fedora, but will switch to ubuntu soon because it has more support online. I just started a new job where I need to use my own computer, and I do not have a lot of time figuring out how to fix issues that I know I would not have under ubuntu. Also video games.