Is technological progress slowing down?

Is technological progress slowing down?

Attached: 1522355755848.png (645x773, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/computing/261734-intel-unveils-new-quantum-computer-declares-quantum-breakthrough
theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/2439380/carbon-nanotube-chips-promise-1-000-times-performance-boost
spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/devices/how-well-put-a-carbon-nanotube-computer-in-your-hand
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We're reaching the limits of silicon

only artificially, what we don't know about is still exponentially increasing

hard to say
I think young adults of today were lucky to be born at an extremely fruitful time for tech. So we got grown to boundaries being broken almost every year
And now most of these 2000s things have reached the point of saturation. Budget phones and computers do most things 99% of people need. There's no real breakthrough around the corner, seemingly too early for something like AI/machine learning to happen, only gimmicky tech like wearables are being touted as "next gen". So it feels like the situation is getting stale

computers have been able to quickly do what 99% of people want a computer to do for years now, which is why there's been more of a focus on making things smaller and more energy-efficient, rather than faster
until a new "killer feature" comes along to push speed requirements up, things will be slow going
games used to be a strong factor in making things faster, impressing consumers with fancy graphics, but at this point, differences are getting more and more subtle, and a lot of people can hardly tell the differences anymore, making it less effective as a marketing tool

>We're reaching the limits of silicon
Good thing we're actually building one of those quantum things.

All of the advancement is in toys now, mostly catching them up to the standards of real computers.

Kill this meme.
QC are useless as a replacement for classical computers except for a few niche applications

wrong

He's pretty much entirely correct.

I still wanna see graphene CPUs. That'll be a lot more likely to replace current CPUs, provided someone can get production on a decent scale working.

Really? Intel's or something has recently said they'll have consumer QC in a decade.
extremetech.com/computing/261734-intel-unveils-new-quantum-computer-declares-quantum-breakthrough
Wouldn't a quantum computer put to rest CPU wars?

You might wanna read the article you linked

> Is technological progress slowing down?

Asian tech companies are only interested in creating revenue for their stakeholders, not in being innovative

>You might wanna read the article you linked
I'm lazy. What's it say?
Anyways my statement stands

last 5 years:
> RAM more expensive
> GPUs more expensive
> SSDs still have not got the capacity/ price point of spinning HHDs
> SSDs more expensive in different form factors
> AMD in its death spasm, it's the last time we'll see a CPU bump
> spinning HHDs, Monitors, mobos the same price
> no new ground breaking form factors such as tablets or smartphones (thanks steve jobs for dying)

investors don't care about desktop computing as the market cap has been reached. there's no room for growth, so they want to ring that towel dry.

the large hardware manufacturers have pushed hard to establish monopolies so they don't have to put money into innovation.

Attached: ramprice2.png (723x440, 25K)

you are pretty slow yourself if you just noticed

>HHD
>hard hard disk

the RAM and SSD prices are kinda due to the same things, and the GPU prices have also been affected by all that shit, as well as mining fucktards. We're at a technological plateau right now boys, buckle up for the shitshow that will probably be the next 5+ years.

I like my disks like I like my men

DOUBLE HARD

Attached: 1517861049931.jpg (593x596, 207K)

Don't need to mention SSDs- SSDs have actually been getting cheaper and better at a good pace.
No surprise that they arne't as cheap as HDDs. SSDs have been developed for like 20 years, HDDs have been in development for like 50.

lol

Attached: 1512568470330.jpg (623x477, 29K)

>Asian tech companies are only interested in creating revenue for their stakeholders
> Asian
what is economics 101

Yeah HDDs actually only started getting cheaper GB/price in the past decade

>what is economics 101
Pussy is the only reason we buy anything

HDD prices were artificially inflated after 2011 floods in Thailand. They went up almost 50%. Not the first time though. Same shit happened around 2007 - one day a 80Gb 2.5" HDD cost 85$, the next one it was 125$

God bless capitalism....
Its still a hell of a lot cheaper than when i was growing up. I mean I don't even think they make 20gb HDDs

We need it to go far enough that we don't need women then it needs to stop.

Graphene chips is another meme, like desktop universal Quantum computers. Theyre yet to create graphene in large amount of quantity and level of purity thatll be useful for computer chips and i doubt we are even close to having high purity graphene in small quantities. Whilst carbon nano-tube, though still has problems, atleast is seeing progress when it comes to semiconductor applications
Carbon nanotube 3D stacked chips designed by stanford promises to be 1000 times more powerful than todays CMOS chips.
theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/2439380/carbon-nanotube-chips-promise-1-000-times-performance-boost
Max Shulakers work on carbon nanotube computers

spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/devices/how-well-put-a-carbon-nanotube-computer-in-your-hand

What if we dont need men either? Or humans? Aaaaaaaaaaaa

Yes, new smartphones can only get technology so far. We need another world war for technology to go further.

Goddamn, color me slightly educated, I genuinely didn't know stacked carbon nanotube PCs were a thing. NEAT.

technology has been stifled since the turn of the century.

for one the primary energy sources are stifled which indirectly disable the possibilities of other innoations.

also at least 5000 patents have been censored as a threat to "national security."

No, it's just a marketing trick, as in you want to drop innovations to consumers little by little, because it's super bad business to go all in all the time with your products and we need those companies to stay alive for progress to happen.

No, it's just that science is becoming more and more specialized so instead of a bunch of scientists joining efforts to make one big leap (that the consumer will feel several years later), now we have 100x more recearchers (probably much more) studying just their own small portion of their field and doing small leaps every day, as a result the advance has less big leaps we feel but goes on with a stedier pace and much faster.

tl;dr: we are advancing so fast that it's actually hard to feel.

>steve jobs
stopped reading here.