Why is anything to do with Linux so fucked?

Couldnt find a rant thread so Im going to post here.

NB; i did use to use Linux as a desktop OS many years ago, but gave that up

Why does everything go to be so much fucking work for such a simple task?

>dd image of ext4 partition from android device I want
>want to mount this image
>travelling with laptop
>okay Ill just grab vmware and dsl.. dsl wouldnt work with usb mouse or touchpad
>download slax iso
>make shared folder
>sorry you got to download and install VirtualBox Guest Additions lolol
>and you have to use it as an ISO, which you cant mount in a live CD distro on vbox
>run slax to ram
>mount stupid thing
>try to install
>You cant build modules lol, install gcc and all this other shit lol
>put dd image on microSD with card reader over usb
>wont attach device in vbox
>need to set it up in machine settings first before booting
>change host type to USB3
>error
>change host type to USB2, still same error
>sorry you need VirtualBox Extensions lol
>OH FUCK OFF
>use USB1.1
>mount the fucking USB
>sorry lol exfat not supported
>look up slax exfat
>download driver off slax.org for it
>36kb, cant be fucking included in the distro though
>cant install it
>just copy it to /slax/modules on the usb you run slax off bro
>No. Fucking. More.

Why the fuck does anything to do with Linux end up being this giant cluster fuck where a simple task ends up with a prerequisite, and that prerequisite ends up having its own prerequisite ad infinitum?

Even my non-super mainstream Android phone was like that trying to upgrade from a shitty vendor rom.

Why is anything to do with Linux like this? How many years or decades have they had to get their mentality right?

It is literally, "There is a whole in the bucket, dear Eliza, dear Eliza..." open source edition.

Fuck me.

Attached: vlcsnap-error694.png (1280x738, 647K)

I don't have such problems, OP. Have you considered that maybe you're just bad with computers?

I used to think slax was pretty cool, years ago, but now looking at it, wtf. Maybe its worse now, but you have a blank desktop, and this full screen app page for the menu/"start" button, does slax really come with nothing else now?

Attached: slax9.3.jpg (1024x767, 195K)

super cute icons

It appears to be the entire contents of the OS unless I am missing something.

I'd never heard of it before so I looked it up,
>Despite its small size, Slax provides nice graphical user interface and the only two programs everyone really needs: a Web browser and a Terminal.
>Web browser and a Terminal
Well, that's nice. I really don't agree that a browser and a terminal (and VLC and a text editor and calculator, apparently) is all you need but it is mean to run off a USB stick. I guess it's totally cool in the cases that those things really are all you'll need.

What you described appears to be an issue with Virtualbox, not Linux.

There was a lot more shit in it when I used it years ago (like an actual menu for one, package manager I think), now its just a blank desktop and the screenshot above is the "start menu".

I didnt need to do anything except install one app, and mount a dd image and scan it.

>How many years or decades have they had to get their mentality right?
I asked myself that same question before dropping desktop Linux completely after more than a decade of regular usage. When I realized their core mentality hadn't changed a lick for over a decade I realized that they would never change their mentality nearly enough to make a decent practical alternative to Windows in my lifetime.

Linux is just a kernel.

>dsl wouldnt work with usb mouse or touchpad
DSL is ancient, like complaining that XP doesn't support your usb3 controller
>and you have to use it as an ISO, which you cant mount in a live CD distro on vbox
not true, you just need another virtual cd device, not linux-specific, either
>put dd image on microSD with card reader over usb
you could have just attached it as a virtual hdd/dvd
>sorry lol exfat not supported
>36kb, cant be fucking included in the distro though
proprietary microsoft format

Age is just a number

>vlc brainlet
Of course

>from slackware-based to debian-based
you deserve it

Just mount it using
mount -o ro,loop

It's easy if you atleast google it first.

>VirtualBox
lmao, just stay on Windows, tard

I believe this is not an issue with Linux, but rather the software running on it. It appears to be a GNU tool ('dd') you mentioned, and VirtualBox, which are the problem.

Just follow your heart, OP.

Attached: 1519351759500.png (765x768, 408K)

>Couldnt find a rant thread
My ass.

So I didn't read all that shit but why didn't you simply mount the image with mount?

Are you legitimately retarded? It seems like your major problem was VirtualBox, and the rest of your problem was that you used some bumfuck no-name distro designed for USB drives.

That whole dance you went through to get the "exfat module" seems like something specific to slax. In any normal distro, you'd just use the package manager. All the USB shit is on VirtualBox as well.

I'm pretty sure you can just open ext4 partitions in 7-zip too, so you didn't need to do any of that.

yea, 7zip can extract from EXT volumes

>I'm literally retarded.
It's okay, OP. Just stick to Windows.

>slax
>"bumfuck no-name"
well, i guess it's not as well-known as it used to be, but it's far from unknown
it's the first distro i'd ever seen, in 2004
it was as well-known as puppy is now, for the same reason, a small live system, mainly for flash drives, with just some desktop basics
the one i saw was running from a 256M flash drive

Why not both?

Attached: Gentoo_OpenBSD_logo.png (1280x1024, 816K)

That's a virtualbox issue.

>So I didn't read all that shit but why didn't you simply mount the image with mount?

You wouldnt be asking if you read the op.

Sounds like he wants to scan the partition, not extract the contents.

>mount image.img /mnt/image/

Done

You act like the highly advanced technical shit you're doing is any easier on Mac and Windows, it's not. Try harder.

>dd ext4 image
>just mount image /location bro
>ignore that the image is not inside the vm system to mount

Lincucks are such brainlets these days, they still defend this trash, not that the problem is with the command line, but everything fucking else built around it.

It would be, once inside the system;
>fdisk -lu image
>note sector and start values, multiply
>losetup -o x /dev/loop0 image
>fsck -fv /dev/loop0
>mount /dev/loop0 /mnt/myimage

At least post something useful, christ.

>plugging in a usb and having it mount is highly technical shit according to Linux users

Heh.

>virtualbox

Stopped reading this b8 right there

Fucking brainlets. Linux is a massive time sponge.

I'd typed up another reply, and then actually really read your post, and concluded that despite being technical enough to dd an image, you're basically retarded and didn't read the documentation for anything
so, you've
>never used virtualbox to do anything (having the guest additions are basically mandatory)
>you tried using a distro that hasn't bothered really updating in like ten years and expected USB3 support
>then went an used a USB-based distro instead of something that installs
>extfat is a proprietary microsoft format with various licensing for implementers to use (really, same issue MP3 decoding had years ago -- blame the USA honestly)
also
>just copy it to /slax/modules on the usb you run slax off bro
well, yes
it's a USB-based distro, and that's easy as shit -- the whole point of Slax is that you have the small base system and you copy all the software you need to /slax/modules and it's available
really, why did you grab TWO fucking live distros for use in a VM anyway

your entire thing could have been
>make iso containing dd image
>install xubuntu in virtualbox
>insert iso with image into virtual machine
>mount image
>???
>profit

if you weren't retarded and installed the guest additions like you're supposed to just with every supported guest operating system, you could have enabled shared folders and accessed the USB drive that way, too

Don't use such a convoluted mess of snowflake shit next time and you'll have a good life, user.

thank God

>sex sucks
>I know because i tried masturbating with steel wool and it was terrible

This is my favorite anime OP