What business printer to buy?

Company I work for has been paying like $400 a month for a contract printer (I'm not sure the details), but now they want each department to get their own because should be cheaper. I'm in engineering and there are just three of us sharing what I would buy. Which should I get? We print color, 11x17, and lots of letter sized. I don't need to fax. Copier would be nice but not a big deal if I didn't have one.

tl;dr: What business printer should I buy?

Attached: s1102131_sc7.jpg (380x380, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-officejet-pro-x451dn-printer
store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m477fdw
amazon.com/HP-OfficeJet-Pro-7740-Wireless/dp/B01JUCLLGK
brother-usa.com/mfc/modeldetail/4/mfcj6720dw/overview
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Literally getting paid to do it and still won’t do his own fuckin research. Go fuck yourself

Do they scan documents?

Obviously I can compare specs but I don't really have any real world experience with them. Not sure if HP is shit or whatever.

We have a good scanner.

>11x17
cm?
inch?
furlongs?

We got bizhub in the office but idk which type.

>now they want each department to get their own because should be cheaper
Man it might be cheaper but it sucks. You'll need to hire people who can fix them or send the printer to local shops who also have to fix domestic printers. Expect downtime.

If you still want to buy printers, then just use the same brand/model of the contract ones. Here at work the contract printers are all brother and ricoh.

>should be cheaper
it won't be.
that contract was making the printer 'magically' keep running and this is NOT the normal state of affairs.
now you've got no stockpiled toner, no spares, no service contract, no tech support. and the lazy slobs who couldn't walk to the central printer are gonna abuse the 'private' printers for their personal needs. when accounting finally get a handle on the wastage, shit is goin DOWN.

Attached: PC LOAD LETTER.jpg (1200x900, 399K)

If there's only a few of you and you don't need color get something like your pic related but without the touch screen. In fact, whatever you do, don't get a touch screen printer (unless it's a lexmark and costs more than your car). If it were a personal printer I'd put the budget at 250 but for a group and business I'd say go up to like a grand.

Yeah I think it's kinda nuts personally. I mean right now when the printer goes down you just call the printer company and they come out that day. I mean right now I'm researching printers (something I know nothing about) at about $70/hr.

I'm stuck though. I just want something that won't break. We need our printer to work.

Thank you, I'll avoid a touch screen.

Ya'll can probably just get a better deal on a copier from another dealership nearby.

The major factor is: Prints Per Month, PPM.
Seriously, check what you guys are outputting before you make a decision. Guys like what you have pictured are good for 50,000 pages as a yearly duty cycle. Which sounds like a lot, but it may not be with 3 people in certain environments. I work for a copier dealership, and some of our clients do 50,000 pages in a month, easy. Schools hit >1million prints in a month.
So, I'd say to check what you guys output a month, and go based on that. It's more than just toner cartridges and "maintenance kits" you need to worry about, too. A lot of HP "maintenance kits" are just the developer units/Drums. They don't include transfer components, feed or registration components, fusers, ADF rollers, eject rollers/filters/brushes, or anything else that needs maintaining. They expect you to just drop another $500 on a machine when you hit that critical point, because they're so cheap.
I'd also say to look into a used machine. Something like an older Taskalfa 4500i would be pretty cheap (even to buy outright), and maintaining them is dead simple, even if you don't want to get a maintenance contract to go with it. Talk to your local dealership (just google Kyocera and your city name)

I'm going to look in our printer to see what the total is, although it won't tell me what the total is from my department. I bet we do an average of 40 pages per day, so 800 per month. Maybe a bit less.

The thing that sucks about our printer now (Ricoh) is that when I send anything that is like a 1MB or more it takes forever to print. I always have to size the images down before sending.

Thats on the low-side for PPM for a commercial contract.
You guys might be alright with a off-the-shelf business printer like that HP, just keep in the mind, it WILL break and fail at some critical point, and it will cost more than the machine to fix/replace, and your department is going to be down until someone hits Office Depot with a company card to pick up another one, and get IT to slap it on your systems again. If that just sounds completely unacceptable to you, I'd say to ring up some local printer/copier dealerships, tell them you want an older color unit if possible (if you need color), you aim to do 800 pages a month, you want supplies and maintenance, A3/Ledger capability, whats their best price.

Generally, any system these days can handle larger pictures and other files, provided there isn't some retarded 3rd party software in the way (a lot of job accounting software bottlenecks speed badly). As well, if you guys want to swing a big dick around and buy a brand-new copier, a lot come with SSDs in addition to HDD storage, gigabit ethernet+WiFi and NFC, and are usually rated for millions of pages a month.

office printers typically have potato processors, miserly amounts of ram and a crappy low-throughput hdd for job spooling/NSA spying. if most of your prints are multi-megabyte vector drawings (dwg, dgn, dxf, pdf et cetera) you could speed things up (*but also massively complicate them) by having a print server perform the spooling and rasterisation.

IDK, man. I wouldn't call a quad-core PPC-based SOC with 4-8GBs of RAM potato or miserly. Granted, thats in the copiers, not printers we sell. Printers are usually 1ghz 460-series PPC machines with 1-2 GBs of RAM.

Either way, I've seen our machines ingest and pop out >500mb PDFs of text books at >60 pages a minute like they're nothing, as well as architecture firms using the low-end A3 copiers for drafting blue-prints onto ledger from right out of CAD.

If you're talking about off-the-shelf printers though, I'd agree. A lot of the "officejet" series and competitors are 600mhz ARM potatos.

Post laser printer gore

Attached: 815KWJFBgxL.jpg (1224x1632, 264K)

Attached: 71qo0SRAHNL.jpg (1632x1224, 185K)

Yeah that's my department at we are guessing 40 per day, we might be a little above that. The whole company prints much more, which is why there is that big master printer there that they now want to nix and have each department get their own. What a pain.

Yeah they won't let me get my own contract, they just want us to get a printer of our own. I made a deal with Marketing and Accounting that we'd get the same printers at least so we could keep a single stock of toners and stuff.

That seems to be what is going on here. It certainly isn't our network. I thought it was that but I plugged my laptop into the printers network port to test it and there wasn't a problem.

Our place is right next to a ink/printer place and their current best selling printer is the Epson WF-2651 with external ink tank mod.

Our place uses an old HP Officejet 4610 which was released in like 2006, and the only thing we've bought for it is paper and ink. We average about a pack of 70Gsm A4 paper every month or so. It's got a recommended monthly duty cycle of 150-600 and a max duty cycle of 3000 pages a month. We've only bought ink that was HP only so we haven't had a clog that a simple click of the clean nozzle function couldn't fix.
It's about $30 USD for 500cc of fade resistant nano ink for HP printers, or 12 USD for 1 litre of normal ink.

We have a lot of color prints of renditions of outdoor/indoor wall to wall advertisments and other stuff, usually photoshop, illustrator, or coreldraw 300~600dpi straight to printer, which looks nicer on a inkjet and the warm up time of a laser printer and the smell is annoying.

store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-officejet-pro-x451dn-printer

the ink cartridges are like 9000 pages and are page wide so they are fast.

That one is discontinued. I'm leaning toward this one
store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m477fdw

...which looks like just a newer one of that.

I'll take a look into what ink we buy, if that makes a big difference it is worth the few extra bucks for the better ink to keep the printer working.

>store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m477fdw
Fugg it doesn't print A3... only the 2000 dollar ones do.

Yeah I just noticed above you. Fuck it's like 1500 minimum for one that does 11x17.

My coworker just said maybe we order these:
amazon.com/HP-OfficeJet-Pro-7740-Wireless/dp/B01JUCLLGK

...and then when they break just throw them out and have another in stock. Basically just expect it to fail and keep one ready.

ink will be the killer, we tried something similar at our office. you have to get a laser.

I have this brother-usa.com/mfc/modeldetail/4/mfcj6720dw/overview

I don't know how it compares against other prosumer printers but it's really cheap for an A3 inject, although the cartridges are kinda small for such a big printer, currently using with a continuous system but i doubt that will roll with your boss.

Overall it's a bit slow for a landscape printer but it does the job.

Maybe what I do is get store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m477fdw and a inkjet just for doing 11x17. I just hate to have to deal with TWO printers.