/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

Recent News:
LG G7 leaks: RGBW screen with a notch and a chin, 16MP F/1.5 dual cam
gsmarena.com/lg_g7_leaks_rgbw_screen_with_a_notch_and_a_chin-news-30379.php

Rumored OnePlus 6 price $50 higher than 5T's, storage upgrades will cost more too
gsmarena.com/rumored_oneplus_6_price_50_higher_than_5t-news-30380.php

Google to launch a mid-range Pixel phone in India
gsmarena.com/google_to_launch_midrange_pixel_phone_india-news-30381.php

Xiaomi Mi 6X new leak confirms Snapdragon 626 chipset, camera details
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_6x_new_leak_snapdragon_626-news-30374.php

Motorola Moto Z3 Play Leak
twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/980344680587161600

Previous

Attached: 1513616061872.jpg (1920x1080, 450K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.lineageos.org/devices/
dxomark.com/huawei-p20-pro-camera-review-innovative-technologies-outstanding-results/
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-global-3gb-32gb
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-44gb-64gb-global
m.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-gx9
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Meizu is a cute brand name

I need a new dual sim phone, what I should get, Note 8 DS or Mi Mix 2s?

Z1 with LineageOS 14.1 worth it for 80?

Yes

No

maybe

I have a nexus 5x now, thinking of getting a used samsung galaxy s7 which i see at most at ~$300 USD or a samsung galaxy s8 which i tend to see at $400-$450. From what i see the only real difference between the two is that the s8 has an 8-core processor and more built in storage. Storage isn't a problem with me(haven't even used all of the 32gb available on my 5x). With that said, is the s8 really worth the additional ~$100 over the s7 edge?

Is windows 10 still a usable platform for someone who wants to browse Jow Forums all day? I've always thought it was very comfy, and the regular 950 is costing less and less each day (around 130 CAD). It's screen and camera are very good, Is it worth it?

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x292, 12K)

Reminder,

If you have a funky touch screen or dead spots or bands, you can simply fix it by zapping those areas with an electrical ark.

The most common way is taking apart a piezo-electric lighter (push button lighter) for the ignition unit and putting the way near the area and pushing the button to zap it.

I meant galaxy s7 edge*

yes windows 10 OS is still very comfy. But once again the app store pales in comparison to the google store.

Yes, but bixby is a bit shit

Attached: _20180329_154634.jpg (171x208, 5K)

How do i root old android phone?
Or can i manually wipe everything off and install something by myself as formatting and installing a new linux system?

Can you please recommend me some good budged phones that are compatible with LineageOS?
For up to 200 euro

Xiaomi M1 or 5 Plus.

There are no really good app (there is a captcha bug that never got solved, and webms are soundless), so you'll have to use the browser. Also, Edge doesn't support native webm, so you'll have to use VLC to play them.
The OS is dying so you'll only have security updates, but if you don't care about that or apps, it's a pretty good choice

What are you looking to do with your phone, and why are you looking at Samsung phones in particular?

Depends on what phone it is. Check the XDA forum for your phone, they'll probably have a guide there.

Redmi Note 4

I'm perfectly happy with my Samsung Galaxy S5 from 2014 but it's nearing the end of it's life

Why should I get the new S8/S9?
Why shouldn't I just get another new-in-box S5 off Ebay for $140?

Attached: s-l500.jpg (500x500, 45K)

Nah, should just save that money and use it to get something else to fulfill your shitposting needs.

compare improvements/features of s5 to s8/9 and decide whether it's worth it or not

searching for xiaomi 5 plus and the only thing im getting is the redmi 5 plus , but that and m1 doesnt seem to be compatible with lineage ? wiki.lineageos.org/devices/ or am i fucking something up

>Redmi Note 4
i was thinking abot that, but im still a bit on the fence about it. the phone seems pretty nice and supposedly sold a lot so the community behind it should be big , but ive heard negative things about the camera, does lineage help there and how bad is it really?

I like the looks of the "infinity" display. I'll use the phone for standard purposes: websurfing, videos,music, calls etc

> Phone has a huge battery (5000mah+)
> comes with a mediatek chip
why

Mi Max 2

I want to spend less than $250 on GSM unlocked phone in America. I really like the style of xperias but not sure if they are good.

I would like removable battery and like 3 gb of ram at least. maybe 10 megapixel or better out camera. I hate android bloatware. My current daily driver is htc one v.

Attached: IMG_2243.png (342x394, 89K)

The stock camera is average at best, but once you have camera2 API enabled you can use the Google Camera HDR+ port which greatly improves camera quality.

I'm not sure about the M1 compatiblity but the 5 plus it is.

Attached: List of Available UNOFFICIAL LineageOS 15.1.png (1009x1030, 170K)

>removable battery
LG V20, LG G5, Moto E4 and G5 is pretty much all there is with that, Galaxy S5 if you don't mind an older phone.

Is it worth getting a Huawei P8/9/10/20 just for photography, specifically the monochrome sensor? I love BW photography and monochrome sensors are the shit (apart from Huawei phones you can only find them in absurdly expensive Monochrom Leica cameras). Anybody have them? Anybody is able to provide a pic shot with this sensor? The internet is rather lacking with BW pictures shot with these phones for some reason.

no lol
especially having to deal with that shit os yikes
just get a pixlel 2

Huawei P20 Pro is the best camera phone at the moment
dxomark.com/huawei-p20-pro-camera-review-innovative-technologies-outstanding-results/

What do you lads think of the Honor 8 lite?

The P20 Pro is worth for the camera but not for that weak processor and crappy GPU.

Too old

Dropped my S8 and cracked the screen. First time I've ever dropped a phone.

Replacement screens cost £250~, might as well just get a new phone at that price.

Attached: 1449325132088.png (400x400, 207K)

>tfw no redmi note 4 with usb c

Attached: 1522006615049.jpg (1920x1080, 253K)

Can I trust chink phones?

No, they will spy you and send all your data to their military research.

replacement price sounds way too high for either sending it back to samsung or repairing it yourself

>dropping expensive phones
kek

I am more concerned they will catch on fire or just be very badly built

I don't care for the CPU and GPU to be honest.

Smartphone pleb here. Is Android or Apple worse for privacy? I know I'm fucked either way, but I'm too lazy for rooting.

Attached: 1503478098963.jpg (665x574, 85K)

Apple is better, unless you get one of the CopperheadOS supported Android phones.

You mean like Note 7 or a random Iphone?
This can happen with any phone, chinese or not.
[spoiler]After all these batteries are manufactured in china.[/spoiler]

Attached: 5_480.png (642x863, 861K)

Same thing because after all they use almost the same apps.

>tfw redmi note 5 fucking PRO STILL doesn't have usb-c
what the fuck are they doing

Had a odd issue with my S7 Edge where any music player I used that loaded local files had a really muffled sound. Soundcloud and Youtube had normal sound.

I fixed it by restarting it but I'm wondering if this was a bug or some weird feature I turned on. Anyone ever had this happen?

if you only ever use what comes with the phone - apple
if you start downloading apps well shit gets fucked but apple is still a tad bit better (you're still fucked though)

AliExpress sellers are fucking retarded and the names of these chinkphones are all the same. What the fuck do I have to search to find Redmi Note 4 with B4 support?

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-global-3gb-32gb
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-44gb-64gb-global

Is getting a device with micro usb at this point a smart move, or is a usb-c necessary in terms of 'futureproofing'?

I have a rn3p and have been unable to unlock officially.
Can anyone tell me how to unlock with latest MIUI firmware installed? Or shoulf I flash some old unlock and then install new firmware + Niteogen OS?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-02-19-30-33-783_com.android.settings.png (1080x1920, 173K)

we're going to get a new usb version because c was such a fucking mess

What's the point of usb-c, other than fucking up people and being reversible.

Guess I'll just get a micro usb device then since I'm not waiting for that new version

Cheapest place to get an S8+ in euroland?

Attached: 1515619142168.jpg (599x834, 82K)

So what is the difference between S and A-series in Galaxy phones?

Ebay

A is supposed to be midrange

"supposed"?

with samsung you never know

Has anyone had any problems with photo albums going completely missing on android/samsung devices?

I got an S9 and whenever I create an album, the album and its contents disappear after a few minutes when I open it up again.
I had an S7 before this and never had an issue

Lg g3 showing his age, don't want to spend too much - 250$ top. Is huawei honor 9 lite decent replacement? How's the camera? Anything better in that area?

real talk
is the razer phone worth it? or should I just get a smasung s8/s9?
I've also been thinking of sony's phones. What are Jow Forums approved brands? please no ishit

Note 8 if you can find it for 600$

It really is worth getting (((insurance))) on expensive phones like that.
My S7 edge screen went completely haywire the other month. The screen would be flashing green and all sorts of glitchy colours and when I unlocked the phone it was permanently black. Unusable.
It was under warranty so I sent it to Samsung and because it had a tiny hairline scratch on the bezel (not even the screen. Literally a 1mm hairline scratch on the bezel above the speaker) they wanted me to pay £270.

It was literally cheaper for me to buy out the rest of my contract and get the S9

shit's too big my man
anything smaller?

>~$900 smartphone comes out
yeah this is normal XD
>~$500 lite edition comes out of the same phone
wow, another great affordable smartphone from Honor!

Easier to plug in since it's a bigger hole.

Is the xiaomi mi a1 the best phone for about $200?

Is there an (new) SD 600 series better than SD 820?

Only a couple of mm taller than the Razer Meme and not as wide.

Not to mention bigger screen.

Attached: Screenshot_20180402-115224_1.png (1009x1739, 1.85M)

Mi mix 2s

Get the mi a1 , great phpne, even better camera with Google gcam. Updates every month , USB c and the headphone jack I ever had (great sound with pre AMP)

SD636 and 660

No Honor

Any call recorder apps that works on oreo?

Attached: 1522667328278.jpg (850x850, 92K)

Redmi note 5.

I thought the mi a1 was better? Or are you talking about the pro version?

Redmi 5 Plus in China = Redmi Note 5 in India
Redmi Note 5 in China = Redmi Note 5 Pro in India

Oh the new one I thought there was an old one. It hasn't come out yet it seems.

I didn`t want to open another useless thread so i will ask here.
It is possible that stuck pixels are caused by a software bug or something like that?
Thanks!

Buy a Nokia.

Attached: 4c1a8c19.png (1016x1117, 1.82M)

Just search Redmond note 4 global u dipshit

Have you tried doing this?

I will be moving to japan for several years soon and thought it might be good time to upgrade considering i will need a new sim anyway. I currently have a samsung s7 but i am interested in an iphone as they seem to be really popular in Japan. I also have other apple products and like the connection they have together.

Why aren't there any Huawei phones in the chinkphone pastebin? Are they known to have issues?

CIA and NSA said not to use them as they have massive chink spyware in them.

Unless you are getting a phase one/hassy there isn't a point in monocrome sensors just get a dedicated camera if you don't have one and learn to use Lightroom/rawtherepee(free as in freedom) and you will get similar results if in camera b/w is a must m.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-gx9

I've been using Android since the G1 and I'm starting to get bored of it. Should I try an iPhone?

Damn. I don't have a lot of money to spend on a phone (

Why is the mi mix $500? Is it just because they know dumb Americans will pay that much?

Is working just fine.

Went from a Nexus 5X to an iPhone 6S a while back. iPhone was nice, everything mostly Just Worked(tm) but I found it a little stifling. Stuff like not being able to install Clover (or an alternative) without jailbreaking and making your phone more insecure. Or how all browsers are just skins on Safari, even Firefox.

Overall I found it not worth it, even with iMessage to talk to my iphone using friends. I ended up switching back to Android and selling the 6S for a fair amount. Nice thing about iPhones is they retain their value quite well, so you're able to sell them and recoup your losses if you don't like them.

But overall I don't think iPhone is worth it, unless your primary computer is a Mac and you can utilize the integration between iOS and macOS

Attached: 1449594626646.jpg (540x444, 51K)

I will, thanks user

how well or shitty does project fi work on non google phones?

I always had garbage tier Android phones until I graduated college and got a Nexus 5. kept it until I decided to try out the 6p. I got an iPhone 7 last year thinking I was just bored of Android and it really was a decent experience, iMessage was fun and playing pool with my gf over it was surprisingly fun but browsing Jow Forums was pretty bad especially with their awful webm support. I switched back to my 6p at the beginning of this year to see what Android was like again and i instantly fell back in love. will never go back to iOS. just keep that in mind. sometimes the grass is greener.

The Mi Mix 2s is available for pre-order.
It's worth to buy it now or I should wait for a better model from another brand?
I need one with a big screen, good GPU (for emul) and with dual sim.

I want to add one more thing to this, the latest version of iOS always stuttered and was incredibly laggy, it also had a bunch of stupid graphical glitches with the control center on my iPhone 7 plus. I've found the latest version of Android on my pixel is actually way smoother than my experience on iOS ever was.