Billy: Hey dad, whats an operating system supposed to do?

Billy: Hey dad, whats an operating system supposed to do?

Dad: Well Billy, an operating system is supposed to provide an environment where many different kinds of software can run well.

Billy: But Linux, OSX, and Windows 10 do that well! How do I decide?

Dad: Well Billy, you have to now assess what kind of software you're going to be using. Which OS looks the most appropriate now?

Billy: Well, OSX is good for graphic design, but nearly all of its programs also run on Windows 10 or have comparable software also for Windows 10. Linux has a lot of great software, but just can't really compete really with the huge libraries of software for Macs and Windows.

But in terms of number of software available, Windows 10 seems to have the most. It also runs new and upcoming games, and also runs classic PC games while XP is left in the dust without DX10.

Dad: There you have it son, Windows 10, which is an operating system, runs FUCKING EVERYTHING!!!!

SO STOP BITCHING UNTIL THE OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS CAN COMPETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached: aqPrcga.png (367x167, 12K)

>Windows
professionals, normies, gaymers
>Linux
servers, autists, embedded systems
>OSX
creatives, homosexuals, narcissists

It's really that simple

pretty much.

>OSX is good for graphic design
what's up with this meme

Billy: Hey dad, what's a faggot?

Dad:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>All Linux uses GNU
Kys. That fat Communist is holding back our Kernel.

Nice b8.

Windows 10 is too busy choking on windows update to actually bother running the software I need.
It doesn't really matter if all this software is available if it's being bogged down by 100% disk and CPU usage with MS update, antimalware, and telemetry bullshit in the background for hours on end.
It's also got huge gaping security issues anyway. Fuck Windows 10.
macOS is worse at doing unix-y tasks than Linux and has worse support with commercial software than Windows.
It's got huge gaping security issues that get ignored due to lack of market share. From my experience, it is the worst of both worlds.
Linux is nice... but redhat keeps pushing bullshit and every other major player seems to be following along for no real reason. Everything related to GNOME 3 and GTK3 is awful, which caused a bunch of fragmentation with desktop environments. Hardware support remains touch and go in many cases.

tl;dr: give up on computers

go use alpine then

>Windows
gaymers
>OSX
normies, homosexuals, narcissists
>Linux
professionals, creatives, servers, autists

These are all stereotypes. In reality, Windows is overrated and over-represented because that's all people know exists, Linux can run just fine as a desktop OS, and mac OS has zero advantage over Windows/Linux for "creative" types since it's all the same software

What the fudge kind of marketing thread is this? Rofl

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux is, in fact, Android. Android, the world's single most popular operating system based on the Linux kernel, does not, in fact, use any code developed by the GNU project, included but not limited to the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components. Despite not being a full OS as defined by POSIX, more users run a modified version of the Android system every day than have run GNU/Linux over the course of its entire existence. Many of its users are not aware of the existence of GNU/Linux, as neither the GNU project nor the Linux kernel are in any way relevant to their day-to-day life. One should therefore be careful not to insist on calling all systems based on Linux "GNU/Linux" since, as we have previously established, most of the world's Linux systems are in fact not classifiable as distributions of GNU/Linux.

A duck can fly and swim but you can't say he the best in everything.

>Logic Pro is on Windows and Linux
Damn...

>Windows
everyone
>macOS
everyone else
>Linux
nobody

Attached: 1508121668860.jpg (470x495, 56K)

>really with the huge libraries of software for Macs
Good joke. I'm still not using your closed source shitware that spies on me and comes with candy crush. I don't need the software library of Windows when everything I need for work and home use runs fine on Linux. You couldn't get me to use Windows 10 if you paid me, Pajeet.

Attached: 1488675129189.png (657x527, 24K)

great pasta user

Attached: 1390786477663.png (799x799, 613K)

>Logic pro

Attached: 1503160067322.jpg (374x347, 33K)

Nobody fucking uses Logic Pro

This is some old pasta

>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can one get more pajeet than that?

>OSX
>creatives

Attached: 1516417387098.jpg (600x800, 65K)

What do professionals do? Get payed for doing professsional stuff? How do I become a "professional"?

What kind of a title is that, seriously?

>But in terms of number of software available, Windows 10 seems to have the most.
This is still the aftermath of shady tricks that Microsoft did a long time ago, ensuring that every computer will have Windows preinstalled and that's what people will learn a computer has. In a theoretical scenario, Windows could disappear tomorrow if only people who have never used any OS before would be the only ones using them. There's always people who know Windows and only Windows, which means at least they will need it and shill it towards new generations because that's what they know.

If Linux gets games then future kids will be interested in it, meaning they will know it once they move on to career life. That will help Linux to become common. That's why I wish games would come to Linux. It's a long term investment, end reward being that we are free from Microsoft's shackles.

Literally you are conserdered a professional if you get paid for it. Professional != expert

>Linux
>OS

9gag meme: The Post

Looks like Billy forgot a key fucking criteria

> operating system is supposed to provide an environment where many different kinds of software can run well
> many different kinds of software can run well
> software can run well

This is not particularly Windows -- especially when you count all the shit MS pulled to make sure competing software could not match MS software

Running a boatload of shitty software != running the software you need well

... now fuck off back to Redidit, Billy.

I want to punch you in the face.

Stop overcomplicating things.

The layman refers to a GNU/Linux distro as Linux. You know what he meant.

OS X kinda spans all categories because it can do pretty much everything Linux can do at the desktop level, and all the important commercial software has a Mac version available. A lot of normies I know use it for simplicity, and a lot of more technical folks I know (like one that is a SysAdmin for a server farm owned by one of the alphabet soup organizations) like it because of the Unix-like environment under the hood. Honestly, if Apple didn't charge purely obscene amounts of money for totally normal hardware, they'd be awesome. At least when they were using PPC and you couldn't just build a Mac with off the shelf parts for way less

...GNU/Triggered, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus triggered...

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

professionals - businesses, corporate, enterprise, etc.

How much do street shitters get paid for this crap?