Thinkpad t480

why is nobody talking about this? I can't decide between the upcoming new 2018 macbook air and the new thinkpad t480, as I am going to start my university in the september, I want to but my first ever laptop and want it to be good. Please help me to decide. The reason I want to buy the macbook because I am developing iOS apps on my iMac and want to develop on laptops now.

So if someone already has bought the new thinkpad t480, describe how it is working for oyu like heavy-usage and other things

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-t480-hero.png (725x515, 79K)

it's 2000 usd laptop

base price is 1400 something

Can't speak for the T480 but my broughter has bought the T580 with the nVidia GPU. He isntalled an aftermarket nvme sssd (samsung 960 evo) and upgraded the ram to 32GB and, of course, he bought the UHD display.
The laptop itself is absolutely awesome. Easily fucks with my 2015 15" macbook pro.

macbook isn't that slow compared to that, is it?

what about macbook with 8gb ram and i7? are they good? i thought os x is pretty optimised

First off, what do you plan on using the laptop for?

Shit laptop at least wait until lenovo launches the A485 because it will be better than the current t series

I want it for application development, heavy browsing, small time blender modeling for unity, also dual booting, littlle fl studio works. Mostly what a developer-artist would use. But I'm mostly gonna be using android studio but it uses a lot of ram and really slow on my pc, cause the lack of an ssd.

Well, the ULV CPU in the T580 is about as fast as the 45W Core i7 4770HQ in my MBP.

The T580 has a UHD display, far better keyboard and can be upgraded though. It also costs significantly less.

>T580
what is the price of t580? Lenovo's site says it's 1089 which is pretty much

I've had a macbook pro 2015 since it came out. Never slowed down, never overheats, and Apple Care gives peace of mind since you'll be relying on your laptop for school. If you have the money, go for it. Yes, it's overpriced, but you're paying more for reliability than anything. My mac has only crashed once, and that's because I dual booted it with ubuntu before I knew how to properly dual-boot.

is it the 13 inch or 15 inch version? Which one should i go for? SHould I buy the 13 inch base 1299$ one since it's the only one I can afford?

Jow Forums is 99% comprised of NEETs and poorfags
Wait 5 years, then they'll praise the T480

Blender rendering is gonna be a little slow but possible on an x220. I use an x220 for Renoise, Gimp, and the Blender video editor. It takes a little for things to render on all of those applications but it's not that big of a porblem. My suggestion for you is to ask thinkpad general for what model you should go for. I personally like x220 a lot, mostly for it's docking and performance to price ratio. I would also buy an external GPU set up if you find rendering from on board graphics is too slow.

The x131e is 6 years old and that uses the new keyboard and everyone on /tpg/ hates it.

I;m looking for the newer n=models, specially the 2018 realeses with 8th gen intel cpus

You could save yourself a shit ton of money but if that isn't a problem for you go ahead. Older gen i5's and i7's will do just fine for what you want.

Definitely the ThinkPad. They're good laptops that you can easily service and upgrade. Just be sure to remove the second internal battery pack if you don't care about hot swapping the main batteries and you want the machine to be fully turned off when you take out the main pack (for privacy and servicing).

I also recommend wiping Windows 10 Home/Pro and installing Linux or Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB for additional privacy and stability.

Isn't that piece of shit dual cote only?

Thinkpad. The macbook will just catch fire and explode if you do anything more intensive than web browsing.

Attached: 1499312916777.jpg (617x887, 172K)

which one? Macbook or thinkpad?

both

>first ever laptop
What are you, twelve??

I'm a desktop guy, had a toshiba but it was my sister's, a core i3 horshit. so this one i am gonna but is gona be my first

And macbooks start at $2000.

>calls i3 horseshit
>wants to buy a $2000 mac that runs like a pentium 3

>why is nobody talking about this?
Because X1 Carbon exists. T-line only matters for second hand aftermarket.

get the E480, you can have similar specs, there's one model with a radeon RX 550 2 Go wich is close to the nvidia one in the t480 (if i remember well), and the main point that made me decide is that it can have two disks, one M2, one sata 2'5
the E480 that have the radeon card start around 800 used without options and a default 256G M2 SSD, so you can have a great laptop below 1k usd

>E series
Get a dell laptop instead.
>RX is the same than a Quadro card
Retard, they are for heavy use, not gaming.

there's no quadro in the T480, it's an NVIDIA GeForce MX150 GDDR5 2 Go
and i believe E series are perfecttly fine

as far as i remember there's only quadro cards in P series, also no one said anything about gaming, the op was saying something about blender modeling
and while E series are indeed more cheap, it's still better than a dell with similar specs
seems like you're the one being a retard here

No thunder bolt3 muh egpu tho

Fire hazard

posting from t460. I absolutely hate the trackpad. It is horrible, jerky and very imprecise. Beside that - good laptops, just check the reviews for screens as mine t460 is not that vibrant as I'd love it to be

>I am developing iOS apps
>I am going to start university

HTML and CSS coding isn't "developing", lurk moar

get a dell xps 13
Lenovo has lost the plot
Apple is for fags

Dell is the new King plus their driver support is amazing

swift, on the hand is.

if you gonna choose a windows machine. you will need to run a vm with macos cause you need xcode to work with swift but that will make your debugging and dev process horrible and afaik there are some more stuff like publishing apps on apple app shop requires a mac.

>Can't speak for the T480 but my broughter has bought the T580 with the nVidia GPU
>my boughter has bought
>broughter
Is that like a cross between a brother and a daughter?
What kind of fucked up family dynamics do you have, user?

Attached: 1498896916003.png (336x395, 321K)

>egpu
literal meme shit that doesn't belong on a thinkpad

dell has shit build quality

They honestly don't, or at least the XPS 13 doesn't

get yourself a used W530 with an SSD, FullHD and 32gb ram. You can get them for around 700usd with good specs.

>buys thinkpad
>uses trackpad

>T-line only matters for second hand aftermarket.

Nah, you're just poor

> Carrying around extra weight for shit you don't need

Why?

inb4 "manlet" there's just no sense in carrying around a T580 unless you need the horsepower. Most people don't, which is why different models exist.

If he were poor, he wouldn't be buying an X1 Carbon.
No, he's just fucking retarded.
That will eventually make him poor, though.

she's fucking retarded for only demanding a refund and not suing applel

OP get a T470/570.

Here’s just a rule of thumb with electronics, you can also apply this to cars and most major purchases.

Never buy fresh off the line, always buy the year old model. Buying a new car in 2018? Try and find a 2017 model the dealer has sitting around in the back of the lot. Buying a 2018 laptop/phone? Buy the 2017 flagship. Why? Because whether manufacturers admit to this or not, there is a v1, v2...vn variant of what they produce. Look at iphones with bendgate or touch disease. iPhones 6P’s sold new at the end of their cycle didnt have touch disease, only the first batch did. Most car manufacturers recalls occur within the first few months and any car made after the recall is made with the fix integrated.

That being said, I have T570 and watched as they published updates and pulled updates and pushed new updates around late 2017 because of the intel security issues, and finally they’ve settled on a release system. I can assure you that the driver schedule and stability of my laptop will be golden for the next several years, because i survived the bricked camera updates (some T570’s had bricked IR cameras) and BIOS recalls. I can’t promise the same for a T480, and the upgrade in components is marginal.

Go with a T470. And besides, half the features are a meme anyways. 4k screens are pointless until the OS you are working on scales accurately and is DPI aware. Windows is not. So unless you are using Linux (which works brilliantly on the T470 after a year of support integration, another reason to buy the y/o model btw) you have no need to try and get an “ultra res screen”. Get yourself a T470 w/ i7 7600 with an SSD, 8gb of ram, and you’re golden.

dat bezel tho

Wait for the A475 with AMD Raven Ridge. Should come out just at the beginning of the school year.

I'm 6'6" and I don't mind carrying heavy stuff.

It's the only thing I don't like about Thinkpads.

Thinkpad with Dell "infinity" screen would be ideal.

It's not even heavy.

Students used to carry several times more weight in paper books, and nobody complained.

>Never slowed down, never overheats

Do you by chance only browse facebook? I can tell you macbooks slow down and crash just as much as windows machine.