Apple moving Mac off of Intel chips

I T ' S . H A P P E N I N G

As has been rumored for a while now, along with the presumptive combining of the Macintosh and iPad lines, there are new reports today that Apple is moving the Mac off Intel chips.

Intel stock is taking a hit on the news/rumors.

Mac fags BTFO

Attached: apple_intel.jpg (640x481, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

marketwatch.com/story/intel-stock-pounded-after-report-that-apple-is-moving-to-own-chips-for-macs-2018-04-02?mod=bnbh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Mac fags BTFO
why would mac fafs be BTFO'd? You surely meant intel, seeing as they just lost all their teenager customers.

Any word on what chips they’re moving to?

AMD

So this... is the power... of iPajeets.

Attached: 1501757942911.webm (640x290, 2.43M)

Most likely ARM or IBM. I don't think it will be AMD, since it would be dumb to go through all the trouble to switch from intel just to go to their competitors when both are pretty similar.

dontcha mean intelfags btfo?
that's a big contract to lose.

Attached: 447929c223.png (582x95, 14K)

They're designing their own chips. Interesting to see what they do with this, the chips used in iPhones and iPads have been very good recently.

>very good
Fucking kek. The absolute delusion.

it's in house development.
The rumors are quite old by now.
Don't feel like it but I reckon it's easy to find some quick google results with them.

Performance is well beyond that of competitors.

>Any word on what chips they’re moving to?
custom ARM llike whats in the iDevices

>AMD
nigga please

>dontcha mean intelfags
Mac fags because moving Mac to ARM means that the Mac is no longer a Mac if it gets folded into the iDevice ecosystem.

1/2 the speed of android on fucking PHONES is "well beyond."
The ABSOLUTE state of iToddler mental illness.

I seriously doubt apple has the ability to develop a laptop/desktop CPU that can compete with intel, AMD, IBM or ARM in the near future. If it is the case, it is years away.

>inb4 it's 60% of intel chips perf for 300% moar dollas.
and applefags will rejoice it worldwide and pay for it happilly.

a10

Lol, it's nothing.

Attached: StatCounter-os_combined-ww-monthly-201702-201803.png (1280x720, 58K)

>I seriously doubt apple has the ability to develop a laptop/desktop CPU that can compete with intel, AMD, IBM
That's the point. Mac is being reduced to iToddler levels of shite
>If it is the case, it is years away.
Maybe 2 at most. Rumor is that they've been working on it for several years now.

they have the dosh.
they can whatever the fuck they want and pay premium for the brains doing it. What was their liquid assets again? 300 billion? something like that.

rip hackintosh

I expect a shitstorm when it happens.

ok

Attached: file.png (1920x1111, 1.01M)

oh yeah, there's that also.

>have tiny pathetic 5% marketshare
>kills off ALL third party software support

Attached: 1496112344192.png (803x753, 514K)

So that's it, the beginning of Apple's "what's a computer" era.

>geekbench
>using fake benchmarks

>iShit is already a laggy clusterfuck pile of shit on lagPhones
>applel wants to quadruple the workload and make it run fagOS

Attached: 1499989338311.png (960x792, 1.46M)

how is this a good thing at all for apple?

unless they make their own x86 chip (what is pointless anyway) all the software for current mac computers will either not work, need to be modified to work or slow as fuck emulation layer

what will they gain from this, i genuinely dont understand

>unless they make their own x86 chip (what is pointless anyway) all the software for current mac computers will either not work, need to be modified to work or slow as fuck emulation layer
>what will they gain from this, i genuinely dont understand
Walled garden
The days of a Mac being a general purpose computer are over.
Now the Mac is just an iPad with a keyboard

search results for liquid cash overflow
>246billion
>250billion

it's probably closer to 500 billion, cause tax havens.
They could very well build a fab while they're at it if they felt like it.

Maybe they'll make it so a lot of software will "just work" when compiled to their own chips. Everything's supposed to be compatible with xcode.

Will Adobe CC run on it?

what are "unknown"? like freebsd or some shit?

Attached: d5d580d7.jpg (593x700, 63K)

Probably pretty poorly for the first two years or so.

What is that unknown OS in gold? It doubled Loonix usage in just 6 months kek

Pretty sure and would sell them cheaper than intel, thus increase margins, but they will go arm

>Will Adobe CC run on it?
Good question.
When Apple switched Mac from PowerPC to Intel, there were a lot of things that ran poorly during the transition.

The move to a less powerful architecture is probably the death knell for professional applications like Adobe CC on Mac.

It's happened before, on the transition from ppc to x86.

that's exactly what they're trying to do.
lock everything out, complete control of the ecosystem supply chain, from the hardware level to software, not to mention the majority of logistical control the self distribution in the apple stores and app stores.

I guess. Solaris, BSD, etc..

Anything really, but not displayed in the user agent.

>Apple is going to use ARM
>Everyone will finally realise that ARM is shit
Thank god

See They're multiple OSes.

Ppc wasn't a private thing, everyone was on x86 so software support could only get better.

They're betting on everything moving to cloud computing, probably.

Based Apple. It's like when they fell for their own thin meme and cut macbook batteries by half capacity.

Attached: 1515713028392.png (228x260, 139K)

Adobe CC programs consistently run slower on macOS compared to Windows running on same hardware already. The gap should increase significantly if Apple were to jump to another architecture.

wait I thought this change applies to Mac desktops, not iPhone and iPads? unless I'm misreading it, hmmm

Its a feature user

fake news

You guess wrong. Most of those are probably Windows and Linux, just with an incomplete user agent string.

Well if Adobe runs in the cloud rather than just charging from it then it should run on linux too

And wher do you think BSD is in that graphic?

It doesn't matter if they have the cash. CPUs don't grow on trees. R&D still takes time. So far, most of their CPUs have been designed for phones, watches, wireless/blutooth/wifi, or for authentication and are still far from making an actual desktop or laptop CPU, even further from making one that could compete with intel or AMD for personal computers, and even further away from any CPU that will work on servers or mainframes.

Short of buying out a desktop CPU manufacturing company, they still have a long road ahead of them.

>wait I thought this change applies to Mac desktops, not iPhone and iPads? unless I'm misreading it, hmmm
The point is that there is no difference between Mac and iDevices now.

"Other".

>apple selling cheaper

Attached: 1502991054261.gif (390x277, 2.29M)

They could make a new Memebook Air pretty reasonably with the CPU they have now if they developed an instruction translation system like Microsoft did.

Maybe, who knows..

>I can't into reading comprehension, the post

>apple buys cheaper amd
>get bigger profit margins
No one said cheaper.

>They could make a new Memebook Air pretty reasonably with the CPU they have now
Not unless they want to turn the macbook ir into a glorified iPad with a glorified keyboard.

it isn't loonix so i guess

If you don't think that's their endgame anyway then you clearly haven't been paying attention

>they have the legacy knowledge
>they've been rumored to be chasing a homebrewn arch for some time now

My take is that if they're letting the cat out of the bag, in the mainstream, their first chips are close to launch. Maybe this year or next at the most. I don't know much about apple product cycles.

>Not unless they want to turn the macbook ir into a glorified iPad with a glorified keyboard.
That's the plan.
Mac is the iPad with a keyboard now.
And this is just a stopgap until the iPad and Mac are unified as a single product.

Mac's aren't getting touch screens, but iPads have keyboards.

>It opens the YouTube app 0.0045 seconds faster and you only sacrifice 2-3 hours of screen on time.

Awesome.

I moved from a Note 5 to an iPhone X, and my SoT is infinitely better. I could barely get through a day with the Note 5. On the iPhone I get through a day with 40% at a minimum.

Good luck with your weak ass chips, I'll be sitting over here with my 8 cores and 16 threads.

>Fake synthetic benchmark
Kek

>Mac fags BTFO
>Apple designing their own in-house chips
NSA Backdoors BTFO.

Fucking fantastic, death to inTel-Aviv.

I already know the Apple chip line will be restricted to Apple boards like all their hardware, but maybe there is a small chance they will open up and bring a third option to the AMD/Intel war.

>OnePlus 5T
That's not a fair comparison, considering every other device is 100% botnet and that one's 95%.

>proprietary/inferior CPU option available only in Apple prebuilts or soldered to the boards
>bring a third option to the AMD/Intel war

Attached: 1522396232895.jpg (650x649, 47K)

>proprietary/inferior CPU option
What evidence do you have for that?

good thing macos is shit, time to move to linex

I'm ready for the great ARM desktop revival.

Attached: 1200px-AcornArchimedes-Wiki.jpg (1200x973, 116K)

is he happy with this news?

Attached: applestations.png (1016x649, 308K)

as soon as ableton works on linux, sure

Attached: 905.jpg (600x600, 93K)

It will force all it's users to buy new software on the new hardware to replace what they currently have.

The best part is the apple people will gladly pay for it as just to stay in their little apple bubble and keep up thier technology fashion current.

Attached: 1505949533109.jpg (480x360, 15K)

Of course Apple is going to move off Intel. It's a good business decision to perform the Great Purge of The Poorfags.

Why do people on Jow Forums pretend to have such a stake in the continuation of a particular hardware manufacturer?

And all my VSTs.

>ignore intel shill squads roam Jow Forums in the wild

Because it's a technology board and we're here to discuss technology???

>It will force all it's users to buy new software
So, like, "software" dongles, in a sense? That fits Apple's m.o.

>Apple kills Mac and build AppleBook using iOS

>It will force all it's users to buy new software

Like changes in MS Office formatting, making it so old versions can't open new documents, force people to buy new software?

>Geekbench

Samsung

iToddlers are fucking hopeless.

Attached: Laughing_cats.png (800x800, 763K)

The absolute state of Jow Forums.

So where is the source or something?

it's all over.
it's ogre nao.
marketwatch.com/story/intel-stock-pounded-after-report-that-apple-is-moving-to-own-chips-for-macs-2018-04-02?mod=bnbh

>Intel stock is taking a hit on the news/rumors.

good my TSM stock can go up now. apple is probably going to work with tsmc to make new chips.

>Intel stock has dumped? Jow Forums took the bait?
>Pump it.

Attached: ju6cv9swcp9y.jpg (500x387, 49K)

Predictions:
Apple will again push for "Universal binaries" like in the PPC/x86 transition phase
Compatibility layer like "Rosetta" will be introduced
Both will be deprecated in 2024

Once apple designs and fabs all their components, they'll buy Nintendo the moment it starts to do badly again.

Mark my words.

has there been a press release from apple?

How long until every component Apple uses is made by them, thus completely emancipating themselves from dependence on other hardware manufacturers?

I'd say 10 years if you take into account SSD and RAM memory

>Next RAM shortage hits
>Apple is completely unaffected
>Apple actually becomes a value proposition somehow