Linux Questions and QTDDTOT

No QT thread so might as well.
Just got Ubuntu put on my lenovo thinkpad after nuking windows10. Couldnt install WinXP or Win7 on it for some reason.
Thing is there are alot of windows apps I plan to use including games. I have no experience with the linux command prompt and have stumbled along abit but ive managed to install some things.

So I partitioned this drive, two 32gb partitions and one big one. Ubuntu is on one of the 32gb partitions and this presents an interesting and unforseen problem:
> Ubuntu wants to install everything, including Wine/Windows apps on its own drive partition, which is small and shrinking by the minute pretty much.

I set aside this large partition to toss all the installed programs, media, and other junk just like I would in any other OS. So I need to figure out how to get Ubuntu to store its installed apps and the wine apps on the other partition.

I saw a help post online somewhere that suggested using a Soft Link system to mirror these file paths so they didnt actually have to be stored on the partition where the OS is.
> However I have no idea what the drive path syntax is so I dont know the actual "path" to those other drives, since they are not listed under Ubuntu in the same style as C:\ or D:\ or E:\ and so forth.
> I even tried setting the WINEPREFIX specifically to go after /dev/sda2/.wine and it said something like this isnt a real path

Likewise I also need to figure out how to get Ubuntu to shovel all its install stuff to the other partition. Because its only got like 5gb left.
> Also how to put shortcuts on the desktop because thats how I operate. Or at least soft links placed on the desktop so I can easily access them without opening the file manager.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you need to set your home partition bigger. / partition is basically the windows 32 directory so 30gb is good and home is your 'C drive'. add any more partitions to your liking but those two are important. right click an app and click create shortcut. drag the shortcut to documents or any folder and once its there it can be locked to the dash.

Just two basic points without really reading your post OP
1 - this could've been asked in the /sqt/
2 - desktop icons can't be used following the latest version of GNOME iirc, and I'm assuming since you're on Ubuntu that's what you're running

Im going to be abit of an FBI Alpha Chad here and say thats not going to work, and it HAS to be done THIS way.
(mandatory)
All 3 partitions have stuff on them now and no reformatting or shrinkage is going to occur, their sizes are effectively locked bud.

As for the shortcuts I also need to make Shortcuts of Folders themselves, I right clicked on a folder and there was no option to create a shortcut
(mandatory)

I wouldnt mind putting a folder on the desktop and then tossing shortcuts in it. Ive used that kind of setup before and its okay. Though I truly do need to make shortcuts of folders (say, because the folder has a ton of images in it and its location is nestled deep in some subdirectories somewhere else, like my Jow Forums images folder for instance).

ill also say that there isnt even an option listed for creating a shortcut to an application, pic related

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-02 13-22-51.png (1366x768, 237K)

open your file browser (i believe nemo on ubuntu but it should just be called files regardless), and then drag a folder to the sidebar on the left. it allows you to drop it as a bookmark on the lower left of the panel. if it doesn't operate this way, there is a similar way to do it. pic related is mine

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-04-02 14-24-11.png (878x585, 122K)

please google "how to add menu shortcuts to ubuntu." if that's what you've been wanting this whole time it's pretty basic and there's plenty of guides. i thought you wanted to bookmark a folder. again, please ask these or similar questions in /sqt/ next time. good day OP

>Amazontu

No the meat and bones of what I need to accomplish here besides figuring out this bit is...
* Set the directory that Wine references to be on partition number 2 in the .wine folder.
As far as my file manager says it should be at
/dev/sda2/.wine
I need to get Wine to recognize this file address to handle all of its stuff there. Either that or fool it into thinking that its default path is actually this path by creating a soft link.
> In windows I would have right clicked, properties, and examined the full path name of the destination directory and copypasta'd that
But I dont know how to get the actual address of something that is on another partition because I dont know the pathname syntax
> in order to create the soft link using the LN command

There is anything wrong with a minimal ubuntu with i3wm?

I want to try i3 on my thinkpad.

Because what im going to do is thus:
* Move .wine from my user directory to the root directory of /dev/sda2
* Create a linkage from /dev/sda2/.wine to the home-user folder, so that Wine will access all of its content from the other drive while thinking that its still located in its native directory.

In order to do that I need to know what the actual pathname is for "/dev/sda2/.wine" to properly link it

So I think I fell for the i3 meme. It looks great, but I can't tell if I'm autistic or the settings are hidden. Can anyone help, I can't find or edit any settings

what are you going on about?
I think my lenovo has an i3 processor, but I dont remember any specific versions of ubuntu/linux available based on processors, only the usual choice of 32/64bit architecture.

IS there any way to reduce the overhead for the OS to boost performance?

By i3 I'm assuming me and the other person mean the window manager not the Intel core

im using 16.04. weird how you cant make shortcuts. i just checked on mine and the option is 'Make Link'. I ran into the same problems as you when i first tried ubuntu. im sure you can work your way around it but in my case the easiest way was to reinstall and repartition in a clean slate where everything works. I found that making links to wine apps only works if you use the shortcut on the folders instead of the main .exe file. linux can be very specific.

Mine works on 40gb / partition. 200gb home. and the rest on a NTFS partition where i can chuck anything and still be recognized in windows.

17.10 is buggier than ever, freezes once a day

And now supposedly there is an ubuntu version 18 out now, even though its not officially downloadable.

I would like to thank folks for (not) trying to help me. I googled how to make shortcuts and apparently the trick is that the file manager does NOT display its Preferences menu unless the window is maximized. So I never Saw that it had a preferences menu until I accidentally clicked to maximize it out of frustration. And under that menu it has a "Create Link" option (which is somehow, for some reason, not automatically enabled even considering this is a basic fucking function of a modern computer to make shortcuts - and any user would require it).
> wtf is it even an option that can be unchecked, is this like a child protection thing or to keep your cat from navigating effectively when your cat is posting?

welcome to linux. where things work only with a healthy amount of disposition. you are feeling the hangover of your spoonfed microsoft daze. enjoy de wae.

I'm starting a new job soon and I have to decide between a MacBook or a Dell laptop of roughly equal price/performance
I'd never buy a macbook for myself and I've literally never used one
Is there a decently comprehensive comparison out there that you'd suggest to go through to help making this decision?

I'll be mainly using it for email, SSH-ing into other devices, programming/scripting (mostly Python), and making diagrams in what I assume will be something like visio or w/e

sorry if I'm using the wrong thread for this, not a Jow Forums regular desu

Attached: file.png (790x444, 303K)

>It looks great
Only if you configure it correctly, normally it looks quite boring, and I configured mine so that it practically isn't there.

>Can anyone help, I can't find or edit any settings
Look on the website, it has some great documentation:
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html
99% of questions you can have are answered there.
Yes, the only way to configure is, is by writing into a text file.

You can also look at example configs, simply by googling.

>spoonfed

Well the thing is anyone in their right mind would go for ease of use first, highly optimized, and then (unlike mac) would provide robust under-the-hood functionality from which the user interface would be an explicit frontend for.
> but linux was made by based hackers, and programmers have a consistent track record including even Bill Gates with not having a damn clue how to cater to common sense users who are looking to operate a machine rather than fix one.
> because yknow operating a machine has a series of easy to use instructions, whereas fixing that machine requires a degree or job title in many cases

Nobody with money has mastered or understood this yet.
> Windows is a fuckup train, while it provides under the hood functionality, its User Interface is kinda screwy to use with multiple ways to do things when there should only be one way to do each task. And performs unreliabily.
> MAC os is sublime and easy to understand and use, but has almost no fine tuned functionality, command prompts for those who need them - you cant even pass command line arguments to an executable for example to run a mod on a game
> Android os is just like MAC and even worse since it can only run its own software
> Linux is okay but needs to have a larger amount of its fine-tuned procedures available from the GUI.

Your problem is that you're trying to use Linux the same way you used Windows. Windows is a gigantic clusterfuck and basically everything about it is backwards. Naturally that wouldn't fly in a Unix-like system. If you want to use Linux, you'll have to learn a few things. First of all, don't fuck with install paths and whatnot, shit has very specific place it needs to go to. Second of all, don't expect "installing" shit by unzipping into any folder, nor running programs from there - let the package manager do it, because you're guaranteed to fuck it up if you do it manually. I have one program that runs over appimage where you navigate to it's folder and click the icon, i have to do that crap since it doesn't installs and so I can't run it from the menu, and that fucking sucks. Another thing is that you don't create ten million partitions which are basically folder equivalents anyway, you just have one system partition for everything and a swap partition if you need it. If you have multiple dives you make virtual single partition out of them, not make multiple partitions. It's not like you gonna gain anything from splintering your storage like that anyway, so do away with that retarded habit as well.

i think ubuntu or linux in general is becoming the middleground for the ease of use and functionality without falling into the windows/iOS like brainless tapping and clicking.

Sure the whole point of distros is to make it easier to the common user but linux in general gives you a kind of educational exploration in terms of how user end computing works. it gives you common literacy that makes you fix and personalize your system without being a career devleethaxer. on the other hand if the majority of people are this literate then the whole job market of IT and troubleshooting jobs are non existent. i mean the whole outsourced companies are dedicated to this exactly.

Pay $500
Or Pay $1500
> the cheaper option might, and I stress might, have performance hiccups and will likely have Win10
> the more expensive option is a theft target at the subway/hotel and will come with MacOS

My comparison... id just bite the bullet and get the Dell laptop to be h+nest mate.

> partitions
I wont have Linux/Ubuntu on this system permanently. Its only for current use, maybe 2-6 months down the road it will be changed out for something else.
> The ubuntu partition will be wiped.
> These partitions were created before Ubuntu was installed, and they will persist after it is erased.
> The OS partition is ext2 format for example but the other two partitions are NTFS format.
And for convenience I will be retaining all of the content on the large partition, its not going anywhere. This way I dont have to spend hours copying all that shit off and then copying it back on.
> partitions are so when I install an OS I dodge file wipes
Whatever new OS I put on it will also be residing in that 32Gb partition too.

> install paths
If it wont go where I want it to go, and I cant move it somewhere else, then it wont get installed in the first place.
Ill use a Windows version and run it under wine instead. I will get my way damnit.

Fact is I wanted Windows 7 on this computer, but when I went to install it the installer coughed and said it couldnt find ANY drivers whatsoever on the install "disk" (thumbdrive).
> And I have a rock solid WinXP install thumbdrive and it installed just fine, but when it went to load there was a BSOD wall about 3-5 seconds after the splash screen came up... some site said a 7B Stop message indicated maybe the OS didnt understand how to run the drive or interact with the Bios
> Even on an older drive that already had WinXP installed on it, it did the same exact thing

So I put Ubuntu on it.
So far it looks like im just about getting things to run. But it isnt ideal.

So you're a faggot that wants to user Windows while wearing a cool badge that you're using Linux. Just install XP or some shit and get out of my face.

>Pay $500
>Or Pay $1500
ah no no the company would be paying (and owning) the laptop, so it's not really a matter of money
well maybe I'll try Mac for a bit on a friend's mac or so dunno
I'm a bit curious about the macos mostly because it has a linux-like shell
>theft target
I mean...aren't all laptops really?

What are the best extensions for privacy and adblocking in Firefox? Currently using uBlock and Ghostery, but I imagine there's something better out there.

>I imagine there's something better out there
I use the same and haven't found good alternatives so far, so bumping for this
I'd love to only have one tho; luckily I don't need another separate one for the crypto-mining shit trend lately, ublock already covers for that too

They wouldnt install on this computer silly. I said this. I think you need to get your eyesight checked.
> hmm Windows10 verses Ubuntu, its an easy choice even if its a tougher road.

Some cars are larger targets for thieves than others, inspiring more risk taking or maybe outright public hijacking. Whether they're successful in the end or not is irrelevant considering the BS involved with getting them back (potentially damaged, or hacked up in a chop shop).
Same thing is true for computers. Mac and Gaming laptops are kinda the top tier in terms of theft targets. A standard dell laptop would get picked up by anyone but there's less chance they'll go out of their way to do it.
> Some crappy netbook with 2-4gb of ram with some faded spots on the keys and some taped on stuff is not going to be taken by anyone except a homeless beggar.

Use only one blocker, whichever you pick, otherwise you're going to make the lagfest that is Firefox lag even worse.

> he doesn't know how to add USB 3 drivers on windows 7 and xp and new thinkpad comes with USB 3 only lolz

yeahbut the usb is being used to install windows 7 so the windows 7 isnt installed yet to even install the usb3.0 drivers for it
> teh drivers have no place to be driven to because its before windows 7 is even there to have the drivers to run the usb to install the windows 7

hurr-dee-durr
I now question your intelligence not just your eyesight

Thanks but I mean system settings not the I3 config file

Does Manjaro 64bit doesn't exist?
I cant find it.

>I would like to thank folks for (not) trying to help me.
Fuck you, faggot. You come here and make your own stupid fucking thread when the answer is on the internet already, including one on the official ubuntu forums. It's not my fucking fault you want someone to spell it out for you specifically. If you think I've been unhelpful (when I've been nothing but polite up until this point), you're on the wrong board on the wrong site on the wrong OS.

Nigger.

Attached: 1515137644960.gif (1221x1007, 142K)

>questing his intelligence when you can't even fucking use Google
You can add USB 3.0 drivers to the install media. An hero desu.

Attached: 1522614235879.png (311x276, 132K)

thinkpad or dell? im gonna buy a ~400 refurbished laptop, don't need anything spectacular

Depends which one.