What are the pros to using a CRT monitor Jow Forums?

What are the pros to using a CRT monitor Jow Forums?

Attached: crt-monitor-811913-250x250.jpg (250x250, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7dPSF8UWX90
displaylag.com/display-database/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's great for /retro/ use. I.e. gaymes and older computers.
It's not great for daily use in 2018 with better alternatives.

Yeah they are pretty comfy as well

Attached: 20180121_220833.jpg (4032x2268, 2.32M)

Shadow masks had nice fixed font rendering.

Motion performance was the biggest upside on CRT but with Sony's "X-Motion clarity" you get about the same performance as a medium persistence phosphor tube on on a flatscreen.

TV tech never makes it into monitors, it took years for motionflow (or backlight strobing) to surface...

you become awesome

Attached: IMG_0552.jpg (2592x1728, 1.65M)

I love CRT. i miss my 480p CRT TV.
are there any 4k crt monitors?

Autists, it's vaporware let it die. Also, gross.

The heavy thunk the syncmasters made when degaussing will be forever etched into my memory.

This is my main purpose. Set it up as a pc for mame and other emulation.

No the best you can get is a high end Trinitron and a high end DAC (not sure whats out there)

Sony G520 can actually output 2048x1536@81Hz but "modern" DACs like the HDFury3 can only push about 1600x1200@66hz before artifacts appear, anywhere up to that limit it's as sharp as an LCD.

The RAMDAC in your gpu can push almost any resolution but the signals get noticeably mangled by the time it gets to the monitor so pick your poison.

Not him, but I just got that monitor a few months ago. It kind of freaked me out playing Doom in the higher res than my 1080p monitor.

The bad part is it’s more we’ll built that current monitors, buttons and all.

>vaporware

Attached: get a fucking dictionary.jpg (625x625, 73K)

t. Soygoy millennial

>vaporware

I guess the person who dropped this baby off at the thrift was into vaporware.

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 1.6M)

nostalgia is the only real reason.

>all those wannabe crt fags itt
>all of them have shitty (even for their time, specially now) crts
lol

Some material just looks better on CRT. There's a girl in the block opposite me who watches anime most nights on a 32" 4:3 Sony hooked up to her desktop. That sort of thing.

It's scary how good the picture is, I compared the 2001 $900 G520 vs the 2018 $1200 ASUS Predator and it made the predator look like a relic from the 80's quite honestly.

The amount of profit the Taiwanese are making on gaming monitors makes me cringe, and even still they can't put a few dollars into some tactile buttons and a nice industrial design aesthetic, computer peripherals must be cheap looking cheap feeling black plastic abominations with a thousand multicolor leds to even exist in the current market.

needs more stickers

Attached: 1521839261281.jpg (600x600, 102K)

its a fucking meme, I am an old fag and used to have dual 21" sony trinitron/mitsubisi/Fujitsu top end monitors at work, I'd never go back to them

> instant response times

pros

-high FPS even on shit hardware
-works on any system regardless of ages for 1990 upwards
-lasts and lasts
-100% better coulors

cons
-Rads
-headaches
-red eyes syndrome
-heaps of static

Here they are:

So do you work under bright lights? in moderate lighting most would agree emissive displays look better, it's not a meme just reality of how our eyes work, transmissive displays look better outdoors and under office lighting.

I remember people hated tubes because of flicker/headaches then it turned out that refresh type displays are desirable for pretty much all moving content so they emulate it with black frame insertion, 50-60hz modes were a mistake and yet they were often the defaults on 99% of monitors so go figure, when engineers get it wrong people blame the technology.

>they use lots of electricity
>they give you eye cancer

Only use for that genuine raspberry pi NES exprience.

>-high FPS even on shit hardware
How has high FPS anything to do with monitors? CRTs won't magically give high FPS on shit hardware.

You might say refresh rates. This depends on the GPU also and modern flatpanels already do much better refresh rates at higher resolutions.

>-works on any system regardless of ages for 1990 upwards
Standards are still a thing and 1990 is a dumb cutoff point, leaving out 30 years beforehand when CRTs were in use.
A random VGA monitor won't work with my 13W3 composite sync card.

>-lasts and lasts
Tubes burn out, even when you occasionally change the flyback when it fries, that happens more than often with monitors at least 10 years old now.

>-Rads
Debunked.

>-headaches
You were talking about, what I suppose, high refresh rates, so...

best to use in low light condictions
don't use wifi near it because the rads it generates fucks the singal up within 1m and drops speed.

its why ethernat was the better choice for crt users

but why buy crt any way when these are a thing

>they use lots of electricity
Misconception, people look at the back and see 220V at 2.2A and think they are some power hungry monsters, actually is, it only takes that power when you turn it on, after that, it's only a fraction of that, the heat output of a standard CRT was the same as a LCD from the mid 2000's.
I have CRTs, i.e. one next to me is 14" and only takes 50W.

>they give you eye cancer
False. The radiation myth has it's roots in truth, but it's way overblown, might as well stop using cellphones because they might give you cancer.

>don't use wifi near it because the rads it generates fucks the singal up within 1m and drops speed.
Nothing to do with radiation, the tube is under high frequency high voltage, hence it can interfere with the signal, personally, I just stuck a few WiFi devices near and against one and didn't really see any significant difference in signal strength or drops in link speed, specially not in the radius of 1 meter, only against the front glass.

>How has high FPS anything to do with monitors?
compeare hardware wise from a 1080 led to a standard CRT on any pentuim 1 or 486 machine
using the same video card etc.

>CRTs won't magically give high FPS on shit hardware.
you mean gamer levels no
I mean in general
again compeare same hard ware with any led 1080p monitor with a crt @60Hz

>Tubes burn out, even when you occasionally change the flyback when it fries, that happens more than often with monitors at least 10 years old now.
everything burns out dumb ass
but alot of good quality crts are still working.
many are at recycal centers still in working order

for example its rare to find laptop leds still working at any level past 2001
unless they have good owners but in general the life span is trash on led machines.

>-Rads
Debunked.

BS
why do you think lead is used for huh smartass.
and why do you think its so fucking heavy.

You might say refresh rates. This depends on the GPU also and modern flatpanels already do much better refresh rates at higher resolutions.

>-headaches
>You were talking about, what I suppose, high refresh rates, so..
your a dumb ass.
most monitors where 60hz or 70hz
more proof that you never used one of the era.

hipsters like you need to be the gassed

CRT are good its a shame its hard to find Dimontron and Trinitrons now.. I had a Trin but it died and couldn't justify fixing it.

using a 109b6 from Philips atm its a pretty good late generation CRT when the color is set right its from 2005 and I have 3x of them so going to keep using them until they all die.

only down side to CRT is that modern gfx cards don't support VGA so I'm stuck on a 980. 10 series doesn't support and neither does ATI etc some one in this thread mentioned DAC (which I assume means Digital Analogue Converter?) to get higher resolutions on CRT or some thing. that might work on newer cards I'm not sure. but I run mine at 1024x768 at 120hz and that's fine for me I don't think my monitor supports 120+ at higher resolutions.

>109b6

tell me something, is the black greenish color on yours?

Attached: 1515362240427.png (655x527, 224K)

holy shit that's comfy

My grandma has this trinitron, it's from 1999.

The color is very very (very) good but it's getting dimmer from endless heavy duties :'(

I think some monitors just look better than others because of the phosphor composition and this one is one of the best I've seen along with a late model Panasonic Quintrix.

Nice and warm when it bursts into flames

Speak of the devil

youtube.com/watch?v=7dPSF8UWX90

no but the default color settings was really bad

I fixed it by setting all color to 100 100 100

turned lightframe off in extra controls

set brightness to 100
set contrast to 58

seems ok for me.

but yer I had trouble setting color lots of the settings looked really bad and caused light bleeding.

You trigger anons who missed out on the time when CRTs weren't memed into popularity by /vr/.
In all honesty if I didn't play emulators on my PC I'd get rid of mine.

>modern gfx cards don't support VGA so I'm stuck on a 980.
>$50 DVI->VGA converter at Jaycar
You're welcome.

Does it support refresh rates greater than 60Hz?

more accurate colors (than all lcd)
higher contrast (than most lcd)
less ghosting (than all lcd)
less input delay (than all lcd)
no "native resolution"
degauss button makes a cool noise

Doubtful, I'll grant you.

>degauss button makes a cool noise
And makes it look like you're on shrooms or excellents for two seconds.

Bethesda copyrighted the degauss noise.

LED does all of that except the last two and lack of degaussing is an advantage. Too bad LED computer monitors don't actually exist even though LED TVs have been around for almost a decade.

>Too bad LED computer monitors don't actually exist even though LED TVs have been around for almost a decade.
"LED TVs" are "LED backlit LCDs", they are not "LED displays"
LED displays are mostly limited to stadiums and digital signage, and are definitely not available for TV usage by the consumer

there hasn't been a (commercially available) TV with better display capabilities than a desktop display since the 90s

Headaches are rad

Fag weebs on Jow Forums will think youre one of them

i have a $12 dp to vga dongle from amazon and it did 120hz 768p no problem. also 1920x1440 85hz was fine.

Noice. I did a bit of Googling, and the only thing I could find that did above 60Hz was AU$85.

it should just be a ramdac with a bandwidth limit. it doesn't really care what you do as long as you're inside the limit. i couldn't get mine to make an interlaced image though.

I got a half-decent 1280x1024 Sony CRT but it's really dark, wat do?

Not even just retro games. DOOM 2016 is amazing on a 1600x1200@100Hz CRT

Find brightness control, turn clockwise.

It's already as high as it goes

Find contrast control, turn anti-clockwise.

Attached: 1516773333266.jpg (1280x1280, 197K)

I'm glad I don't have to deal with CRT's anymore. They were huge wastes of space.

All the knobs are twiddled in such a manner as to produce the most useful picture, but it's still very dark.
Do I need to replace some of the internals?

GTA V too. The motion is silky smooth and only rivaled by expensive "gamer" LCDs that have shit viewing angles and contrast.

Sounds like the tube's degraded to the point it's useless. Trash it or just use it as a screen for terminal output.

Probably (in order of expense/effort to fix) not enough juice getting to the electron emitters, or the shadow mask has moved (blocking most of the electrons), or your phosphors have had it, .

>I am an old fag
>eyes are shit because he's old
>memory is shit because he's old
>cognition is shit because he's old
>asserts opinion on monitor clarity anyway because he's old
>shits himself daily because he's a fag
>doesn't know what oldfag means because is newfag

The first response, you make mostly no sense. So I won't comment.
Yeah, there are plenty of working CRTs, didn't say there weren't, just that they don't last like you implied.

>why do you think lead is used for huh smartass.
>and why do you think its so fucking heavy.
Is this bait?

>your a dumb ass.
>most monitors where 60hz or 70hz
>more proof that you never used one of the era.
Oh it's bait. Nobody expects you to use a CRT that can't at least do 85Hz in 2018 even for retro applications. So how could it be a con these days if it doesn't even happen.

You have my (You) good sir, keep it up.

>t. I can't afford a real good flatpanel at a decent size
Yes it's nice, but it's not the nicest.

>most monitors where 60hz or 70hz
Are there little kids today who really believe this shit? I had a 15" monitor in 1994 that could do 75Hz at 1024x768 (which was an excellent resolution at the time, which my cheap-even-then Trident card couldn't do).

Paying $60 to dump one at a recycle center.

the DVI>VGA convert only supports 60hz most people use crt for 120hz

I have a chink shit cheap dongle for HDMI to VGA that I use with my LaCie and it does 1600x1200 at 85Hz fine. This really depends from the internals of those converters.

Dude has no technical knowhow of these things and also roleplays like it's the 90's. What do you expect from someone who claims CRTs "last and last" and that any system from 1990 onward can support any CRT from 1990 onward.

W2c that lamp

it's nice to have in the canadian winter.

Are those illegal German death eggs on the keyboard?

You're a very special kind of retard, aren't you?

Well I suppose you can hug you waifu on a CRT monitor

Just get a 165hz IPS

Look up latency compared to IPS and TN

CRT response time
>Less than 1 µs
LCD response time
>1-35ms

There you have it. Thousands of times faster in terms of response. That's why people say it 'feels snappier' even for typing.

Attached: comp.png (948x893, 75K)

>Kinder-Ferrero
>German
Are you retarded?

>IPS
>contrast
Choose one

What do you mean it's just an old lamp from the 60s or 70s

Can't even use them on a pi. feelsbad

Why didn't plasmas ever take off? Being heavier and bulkier and more expensive than LCD? Even if they use more power than LCD it was still less than CRTs

dude hdmi to vga converter lmao

Might have had something with average lifespan of barely 2 years and that you couldn't have the same image on screen for longer than three seconds otherwise you got a nice burn-in.

actually the fastest LCD is 9ms look up external reviews all the claims of 1ms response on gaming monitors are a lie.
displaylag.com/display-database/

and yer 9ms is small but for games like CSGO etc its actually quite high considering most keyboards have a input lag of about 18ms and most mice have a input lag of about 10ms

so that's about 20-30ms of lag using the best LCD and a Zowie mice/cherry keyboard for instance (cherry keyboards lag at 18ms because the controller chips from the 80s)

I use a

-1ms CRT
0.2ms keyboard (bloody q700) only cost 30$ from china ebay
and a 11ms mouse WMO clocked at 8000hz

so I have basically 0 input lag on keyboard and 11ms lag on mouse.

I also have a SS Ikari mouse that has apparently 0ms lag on the scale of measurement but that's just the 0 point and it might be higher also computer it self might lag a fair amount and that's hard to messure

but still I'm happy that I know I'm about 30ms faster than all players I play against in CS. makes a difference for me because I play on servers where my ping is 60 but others are 30ish so it makes it fair playing field.

mind you thou rocket jump ninja did a comparison of input lag on mice and they all scored about 180ms which makes me think the motherboard it self might have about 150ms of lag which might put it all in perspective and make having 30ms faster than others not seem that important.

but id still rather play at 150-160ms lag against others playing at 200ms lag.

small advantage but imo worth it.

like being 1/20th of a second faster than others would give you a advantage quite often right? or you think it doesn't matter?

Cat warmer.

Attached: cat071214.jpg (540x405, 94K)

Hipster street cred

Attached: the eternal hipster.jpg (2125x1573, 343K)

>being this jealous you can't afford nice things so you have to hate on what others have

Attached: 1520878832311.jpg (960x935, 64K)

>nice things
Nice things are usually superior, inexpensive or practical, these are neither.

>implying I was talking about these things and not something else
>keep hating

They have there time and place
and some people enjoy it whether they are hipster trash or people who just enjoy the technology

Attached: 1519523862420.jpg (478x380, 44K)

Eye strain and larger power consumption.

>eye strain
Only if you run it at 60Hz like a pleb
>larger power consumption
For five seconds after you turn it on, then it uses less than an LCD monitor of the same size

this negates the only legitimate advantage of crts which is input lag.

Kinder means children in German doesn't it?

Only if it's the DVI-D port as DVI-I is still analog

>Excellent quality picture (even on the later cheap ones)
>Good clarity at multiple resolutions
>Easy to clean the screen surface
>Impossible to get pressure marks, hard to scratch
>Cooler and more aesthetic than an LCD

>Big
>Uses more power, runs hotter
>Potential geometry and focus issues
>Hard to find
>Heavy
>Difficult to find in large sizes and wide ratios

yes and along with not having vga out, no modern graphics cards output analog via dvi.

new cards don't have DVI-I that's why I keep saying the adaptors wont work.