What happened to tablets? A few years ago it seemed like they were replacing laptops...

What happened to tablets? A few years ago it seemed like they were replacing laptops, but now it seems like I only ever see children using them.

Attached: ArlandCom_Take_5_Tablets.jpg (2455x2052, 509K)

It’s a fucking tablet. A larger phone with no phone network.

They were shit for doing what laptops did well, being a desktop replacement/supplement. Most of them are just smart phones with a bigger screen, usually paired with an underpowered processor.

Tablets are still around. I see tons of people with iPads and Windows tablets. Oh you mean Android tablets? Those never stood a chance after Google abandoned Honeycomb and made Android on tablets a large phone

This desu. tablets are only good for a few things and one of them is being a desk clock

Attached: 20180403_013256.jpg (1232x2048, 984K)

Killed by Laptops

Attached: RE1FU5k.jpg (752x423, 66K)

my dream is still a comfy tablet with an eink screen and a good external keyboard that I can sit in the sun and code on

Attached: 1522676954405.jpg (891x763, 167K)

Computing on e-ink would look like pic related

Attached: Apple_Macintosh_Desktop.png (512x342, 2K)

I see lots of tablets incorporated into POS terminals as interactive interfaces.

Tablets still suck as a productivity device. Any lengthy input is going to be suffering on a touch screen. The sandboxed nature of the tablet OSes means corporate won't be happy with the control they have over the device.

For media consumption and junky portable games, they rock.

Attached: 1412473719922.jpg (420x393, 19K)

>Tablets suck at being useful
>They're great at complete garbage tho
Pretty much my thoughts on it too

>I see lots of tablets incorporated into POS terminals as interactive interfaces.
I've seen that too. I'm wondering what is going to happen five years down the line where the ancient version of Android or iOS it runs becomes a giant security hole.

Shit all over the proprietary nature of most embedded OSes all you want, but they at least do rock solid security from the very outset.

Attached: 1412398682593.jpg (1200x1262, 173K)

user, you know there's colored e ink display tech now

Attached: Pebble-Time.jpg (672x371, 120K)

Those look washed out, though. I'd prefer a crisp monochrome e-ink display over a faded color one.

They are fantastic for handwritten notes and studying.

>blocks your path

Attached: pad-apple-pencil-ipad-pro-sleeve-780x519.png (780x519, 221K)

Like any new promising tech. Normie tech blogs hype it up, companies get greedy, over promise under deliver, and rush to market, people find out the products are shit and years from being useful or affordable and stop buying. Companies stop investing in them and move on to the next good idea to ruin for profit.

They're really only worth it if the price was at most half of what they were asking for.

I plan on getting a Fire HD8. Will ditch paper books and use it as a reader for college. Anyone know how good is for handwrite notes?

Attached: Amazon-Fire-HD8-1a.jpg (1000x1000, 131K)

I still use my Shield Tablet every day... Actually using it right now. I actually find it quite useful. My phone is 5.5" but I much prefer reading books and playing emulated games on my Shield.

And I don't like other platforms for tablets, I've had a Venue Pro 8.1 and it was alright but Windows 10 just isn't as responsive as a tablet and comparatively for playing games Atom processors are worthless, also took twice as long to get from powering it on to the ebook reader compared to Android. Wife has an iPad Air 2 from work. It's nice physically but frankly I can't stand the lack of customization in iOS.

Pity the only modern good Android tablet is the Xioami mipad 3 and 5

Attached: 414325-nvidia-shield-tablet-k1.jpg (740x416, 74K)

>I still use my Shield Tablet every day

Attached: 1522149178218.jpg (399x434, 23K)

literally killed by smartphones

people are just using phones and desktop/laptops

people realized that they suck for anything other than the most basic level of content consumption. Typing sucks so people don't even really use them for social media, drawing sucks compared to a cheapass wacom knockoff because muh pressure levels, really even listening to music sucks on tablets so threre's only video consumption

Tablets went from costing less than a laptop to costing more than a laptop because forcing space sizes for your price range. That tipped the balance back into laptop's favor.
Pretty good touch sensitivity, screen is a bit small though for hand notes. Cheaper than the 10 but does its job. I do suggest you get android play on it ASAP.

Most of them just suck outright balls.
Also extremely underpowered for some reason.
Owned 2 laptops and both were just unreliable and too weak.
Might as well buy a phone instead.

nothing happened to them, they just made the screens an inch smaller and started selling them as phones.

how much are they paying you?

Nothing personnel, android

Attached: huawei-matebook-104.jpg (1600x1200, 354K)

CHECKED

Nice.

Attached: Goods.gif (480x270, 1.41M)