Fuckin' e-Readers! How Do They Work?

Jokes aside, is it worth getting an e-reader like a Kindle?

>be me
>poor as fuck but love to read
>get free books from Amazon, the library, and torrents that I put on my Kindle
>Kindle gets a little scratch where light bleeds through
>makes it annoying as hell to read ANYTHING
>Amazon won't fix it
>offers me a meager discount on a new Kindle which I can't even afford
>mfw my entire library is affected by the miniscule damage to this one device

Are you better off sticking with real books? What the hell is the point of an e-reader if you can't really read anything on it and they can't be fixed?

Attached: MAGNETS.jpg (480x360, 38K)

I mean, if you accept the risks of amazons data-collection, theyre a great buy.

Nook + chinese flap case = profit?

Same shit happened to me. Next time be more careful with your property user.

I have a Kobo, and it kicks ass. I read a lot of fanfiction and other novels on it, it beats reading on my tablet as the battery lasts months. Get one that has a back-light feature.

I can't personally recommend a Kindle though.

No, unless you plan in keeping the book, e-readers are superior.

Also get a tablet instead of the e-ink e-readers.

Here's a pic of the damage. It's minor nick but damn if it isn't annoying as hell when you're reading.

Attached: IMG_20180402_150558.jpg (4000x3000, 3.77M)

I can't imagine reading an entire book on a tablet. E-ink doesn't fuck up my eyes like real books, unlike LCD tablet or phone screens

You are right to not want a tablet. They are fuckin' horrible for using as an e-reader

Yes. Only if you do the following
>Buy Kindle Paperwhite (If you want a good cheap eReader that "just werks")
>Set it up
>Delete Wi-Fi connections (Only if you didn't buy the meme 3G version)
>Install Calibre and DeDRM
>Load your stuff onto the Kindle
And you're good to go

Mine has the same thing. I have a case for it, but dropped something on the screen while reading. Tiny nick.
I have found that it's hardly noticeable if I keep the brightness down, but if you go above thirty percent it gets worse and worse. I never keep the screen that bright, so it doesn't bother me much anymore.
I tried a couple things I read online, like using an eraser, etc...nothing worked. They're honestly so inexpensive - just buy a new one if it bothers you that much.

That picture doesn't really do it justice, but it's annoying as hell. And you're right about the brightness, you can't even notice it if the brightness is all the way off.... but that sort of defeats the point of having a paperwhite doesn't it?

#bookz
#ebooks
Way better than torrents.

Personally I have an aura one and really like it.

>buying an ereader with a backlight

Attached: 1522630010979.jpg (228x221, 12K)

Just use an e-reader program on your smart phone

If you haven't already, buy one or two books off Amazon for Kindle, wait a week, and then talk to customer support. They'll ship you a new one in exchange. The margin on ebooks is insane compared to an actual Kindle. Hell, they may even send you a new one regardless just praying you'll buy some ebooks.

I've replaced two broken kindles this way out of warranty. Both times the screen was busted because I'm a mongoloid.

That's why you get a screen protector.

>be me
who the fuck else would you be you reddit piece of shit

Attached: ChrisVSstrawcanvaspainting.jpg (1024x965, 137K)

same thing happened to mine, it was annoying the shit out of me, but then I just turned off the backlight and went back to using a lamp for night reading, you can't even see the crack really with the backlight off

I've been on the fence about e-Readers forever now.

They don't do images or color well which is worrisome.

Same. I don't keep it completely off, but at about 15-20%. I rarely turned up the brightness anyway, unless I was camping or something. Even then, no need to go even halfway. If you turn up the brightness much, it's almost as hard on the eyes as a tablet would be.

I don’t need to charge my books.

I guess I could ask here. Are there any e-readers that do straight scan PDFs or manga well rather than just text documents? I've always thought e-readers were cool and would really like one, but most of the reading I do involves PDF format scans of old nonfiction books/manuals that have been on the internet for a while and that either no one has taken the time to convert to text or only have poor machine text conversions that aren't suitable for anything beyond a poor search function, and the times when I'm not reading those I'm reading manga.

I have the basic Kindle with no light and I've had no problems with it.

You'd want a larger e-reader for that. Not saying you can't do it with the smaller ones, but the larger ones will make for a nicer experience.

Use a scratch remover from any car parts store.

Is a Kindle Paperwhite a worthwhile purchase?

Do you expect to read more than $100 worth of books on it before it dies? More to the point, are you aware of how to get every book you could ever want for free?

Yeah no shit I'm well aware how to pirate eBooks
What do you mean before it dies?

Every piece of tech dies eventually, user. Do you think you can read $100 worth of books on it before then? Mine has been going strong for a good two years with no signs of failure, if that helps you.

>s it worth getting an e-reader
yeh

>like a Kindle?
no, kindles are garbage and full of spyware. get a kobo or something, not as flashy but plays nice with files and companies not sanctioned by amazon

Is there a way to root and install the reflowable PDF software on the latest Kindle paperwhite?

sides fucking lost

Attached: 37d.jpg (600x600, 30K)

fuck off retard

I've had a nook simple touch since 2011. Slapped a 32GB microSD card in there, and pirate all the books I want. Totally worth the investment. I wouldn't be able to do something that's more like a traditional tablet, though. E-ink really is better for reading.

I have read a couple of books on my tablet and I survived. It's actually pretty decent if you use a low light and a blue light filter (it's a no brainer to use a tablet if you are going to read a PDF or something that has a lot of images).
I'm still going to get a ebook reader for the extra commodity and better experience.

There are other brands that aren't as awful as amazon. Kobo is a mainstream seller that isn't as bad as amazon, but there are plenty of chinese and slavic manufacturers that make products for mostly the russian market who don't give two fucks about stores or how you get your ebooks.

Use a chinese bluelight filter screen protector. It might work.

I just recently started reading manga on my Kobo Aura One and it's good. The screen is 7.8" with 300ppi so it's big and sharp enough. It supports .cbz and .pdf natively. The only negatives that bother me are that there are no physical page-turn buttons and no expandable storage (8gb on my model). I can't imagine reading manga on anything smaller though.

They are perfect for text, if you need color or images (magazines, scientific PDFs, comics/manga) just get a tablet with a decent screen.
How do these pieces of shit deal with large libraries ? I can't imagine them handling 32GBs of ebooks.

I have a similar problem, I have tons of university textbooks, who have tons of graphics and illustrations, most mainstream e-readers are 1. too small, and 2. too slow for graphs.
I know that sony has a few A4 readers but those are for industrial customers and priced accordingly, esp. considering that by now they are rather old, the price is jarring.

Instead I got a Samsung NotePro 12.2 which had a big (enough) screen and being a tablet of course had no problem with any kind of pdfs.
The drawback is that Samsung is a shit with upgrading so Im stuck with Android 5, and of course the batteries do not last long compared to an e-reader.

Just turn brightness off and get an external reading light. Has society become this devoid where you NEED a backlight?
You have a device that can store an entire library in the palm of your hand. Don't complain so much. Just get a clip-on reading light and pretend that you're under the covers reading comics on a school night and your parents are going to ground you if you aren't asleep.

Nigga.

>getting the heavy af tablet Kindle instead of the original lightweight b+w unlit e-reader

Attached: gengetsu_wew.jpg (390x346, 133K)

Doesn't the backlight make make the display look whiter to give it a more paper like look?

I have a kobo. I was impressed how easy it is to copy stuff to it (straight to the device). Ended up using caliber (open source) to manage the device, pretty neat.

Using it makes me realize ereaders are only good with .epub or other ebook formats specifically tailored to ebook readers - most of the PDFs i've used on it look pretty horrid. (Margins too large, font hard to read, requires panning/zooming, etc.)

Kobos are notorious for being awful at dealing with PDFs. Have you tried using koreader ?

How to get koreader on a Kindle paperwhite?
I hear the new paperwhite can't be rooted unless you tinker with the hardware.

>no, kindles are garbage and full of spyware. get a kobo or something
with a kindle all you have to do is plug it in to your pc and copy the books on to it. you never even have to connect it to the internet if you don't want to. with a kobo you literally have to register via email to even use it.

Attached: kk.png (726x800, 118K)

You're better off looking for a answer on mobilereads.
Kindles comes pre-registered with the account used to buy them. Also enjoy your Amazon ads and restrictive ecosystem. The only thing kindles have going for them is the huge store, low prices and decent build quality.

>Kindles comes pre-registered with the account used to buy them.

>Also enjoy your Amazon ads and restrictive ecosystem.
mine has no ads. and why would i bother using their ecosystem when i can just copy books i've downloaded directly to from my pc?

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (984x412, 373K)

>enjoy your Amazon ads
Getting rid of them is as simple as deleting a folder and re-creating it without allowing it to be modified.