Windows is dead

So, the news of the day is that Windows is finally dead.

1985 - 2018

>What is more interesting, though, is the story of Windows’ decline in Redmond, culminating with last week’s reorganization that, for the first time since 1980, left the company without a division devoted to personal computer operating systems (Windows was split, with the core engineering group placed under Azure, and the rest of the organization effectively under Office 365; there will still be Windows releases, but it is no longer a standalone business).
stratechery.com/2018/the-end-of-windows/

Press S to spit on its grave.

Attached: 1519497844759.png (299x300, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stratechery.com/2018/the-end-of-windows/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I prefer to press P to pee on your face, moron.

t. buttmad pajeet

please come again.

Windows will never, ever be dead until a suitable replacement successfully supplants it. Until that actually comes to pass, Microsoft will keep churning out, at the very least, updates to Windows 10 from now until the end of time.

This. Windows isn't going anywhere but it's obvious where Microsoft as a business has prioritised their portfolio. They've always been an enterprise business and Office and Azure make the most of their money. Azure represents the greatest growth opportunity for Microsoft so that's where they're pouring their resources into.

None of this should be surprising and Satya Nutella has made this pretty clear that they're going all in on cloud.

>suitable replacement successfully supplants it
It's called Linux. FreeBSD. macOS. all of them have supplanted it.

>all of them have supplanted it.
Yeah, about those marketshares.

>supplanted
This word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Does Social Media make people retarded?

Compare the average computer user in the 1990 to the average computer(smartphones are also computers) user today.

All current generation desktop OSes are pretty much done now. There's no more room for improvement

>hot plug driver support
>virtualization out of the box

Rest can be done in userspace

t. trip code fageet that is a snowflake cunt who seeks to be identifiable on anonymous message boards, because no doubt, thinks they're special.

>Does Social Media make retarded people even more retarded?

Yes. By the hour.

I hate the future is being set up.
We may need a ningen purge.

my dad has worked for MS on and off over the past 20 years or so

they keep bringing in streetshitters and is the #1 reason windows and MS in general has gotten so shit

it's even reflected in company parties and office furniture

but everyone already knows to have a stockpile of preactivated windows ISOs

>Tripcode
???

I think you're the newfag here

What are they going to replace it with?

they'll just buy Apple or buy Linux from Linus.

The real question is, does Jow Forums make retards even more retarded?

Linux, especially now that they've literally paid their way into the Linux Foundation. Don't forget, Microsoft "hearts open source!" now.

>it is no longer a standalone business
release source code for it then fgt

It's been dead since Windows 8 and Xbox One.

That's because I use Linus

Whatever you think, I'm not the redditfag that's inflated sense of self causes them to intentionally identify themselves by their post, when the format is anonymous. If you aren't aware of what trip code is and how they're utilized for image boards, I suggest finding a subreddit, after you sign into your account
>lawll
and read up on them. Be sure next time you call someone a new fag, the following text doesn't expose you for being an arrogant prick, not knowing what you're commenting about.

Attached: 1401106535731.gif (302x339, 1.33M)

Seriously. Smartphones and today's "computers" are colorful children's toys for manchildren. It's all been dumbed down for the Normie's. What's funny is that none of any of this tech has actually advanced. It's all based on the same UNIX crap since 1975. The one thing that has changed is processor speed vs cost decline which now enables software designers to make pretty animated icons and "apps". It's all disposable garbage now.

looks like ms is going for an os as a service, like adobe cc

This is exactly what they're trying to do. Windows365

Attached: Troll Face IE (Mobile).jpg (320x308, 20K)

tons of dead products don't have the source code out, you stupid retard. and the two are not even related.

BSD isn't a viable alternative. As for Linux and Mac, they're not a competition until you can get them by default on majority of devices that cost 200-2000$. Until you cover all price ranges your product just won't be bought and the poorfags will in 99.9% cases pick a windows computer. Perhaps if a company starts investing into a desktop Linux and making deals with hardware manufacturers Linux would be a competition, but that won't happen since it wouldn't be profitable as proven by Canonical. Or if Apple starts releasing computers for half the price of their current ones similar to iPhone SE, but that probably won't happen either.

They see Linux as a competitor, not a partner. They bought their way in just so they can get a vote on things and see what Linux plans are in future. They'll sabotage and steal, and not adopt Linux.

>ever be dead until a suitable replacement successfully supplants it.

Already been done. It's called GNU/Linux.

The only people who resist this change are hurr durr mah video games and at the end of the day, video games are for children.

Subscription service is a meme that needs to die.

Everyone's already bought or pirated Windows, meaning that they've exhausted the customers and profit from that sector.

Azure and Office365 are colossal, they're almost entirely business focused (People who actually pay for shit) and contain a shit ton of products. No wonder M$ is putting resources behind them, considering how up to date they need to be to stay relevant.

This is either bordering on delusional, or you're someone else who doesn't seem to know what "supplant" means.

With Poos, you lose.

Honestly any company who thinks that you can employ Indians to do anything ever, and not get a steaming pile of shit deserves everything they get.

Attached: poo in it.jpg (629x406, 121K)

>This is either bordering on delusional,

stay mad windows cuck

kek

Except I'm a GNU/Linux user. I'm just not out of touch with reality.

I really don't understand why anyone actually wants the 'year of the Linux desktop' to actually happen. It reeks of brainlet thinking with no foresight on what the implications of Linux going mainstream would be.

Hint: all the complaints you faggots have been talking about shit being dumbed down and everything tailored to normies. Just what exactly do you think it will take for Linux to actually replace Windows? There's going to have to be some insane compromises on accessibility that will make you faggots very, very mad if that is ever going to happen.

Attached: 1520738274312.jpg (225x225, 8K)

The good thing about saas is you can pretty much kill any saas product by creating a free (as in beer) and open source alternative

>I really don't understand why anyone actually wants the 'year of the Linux desktop' to actually happen. It reeks of brainlet

Yes. It's mostly just tribalism. No different to OUR FOOTBALL TEAM IS BETTER THAN YOUR FOOTBALL TEAM mentality.

More like "naw the xbawks is bettar than nintoddler!" as most of the people with this mentality are kids from /v/.

based assessment

Attached: tmb.jpg (960x720, 95K)

Op got source to this?

>They'll just buy Apple
Oh hi, how is it in the 1990s? I've got some bad news bud. After Microsoft bails Apple out, Apple ends up making all the right moves to now be in the top 20 wealthiest companies in the world, where Microsoft isn't even in the top 30. Now, if Bill Gates liquidated his and Melinda's foundation and came back just to save m$, then yeah, he could at least have enough money to convince the board not to sell but why bother? He'd just be plugging holes in a sinking ship with hundred dollar bills if things ever got bad enough that Microsoft was in a position to be sold.

>link is literally in the op
wat?

Attached: 1407286518732.jpg (250x250, 13K)

>there will still be Windows releases
so it's not dead?

I'm sorry for your developmental loss

Attached: IMG_20180403_114356.jpg (1080x515, 34K)

Windows "releases" were kill with Windows 10. MS from what I understand will upgrade Windows 10 via updates for future "releases".

Attached: notevenonce.jpg (615x409, 37K)

dumb phoneposter

Teh year of Linex!!

Took long enough redditfag.

I'll double space for you since your eyes are probably sore from all that reading.

Mobile

enjoy being skimmed fageet t.

Attached: 1462752765710.png (380x367, 314K)

>someone makes a distro for Normie's
>other distros go on about their day
What's the problem? The kernel doesn't need to tailor to nkrmies and whatever bullshit Canonical wants to pull can be solved by using something else.

>he's mad about someone else's formatting
Sorry kid, we've been doing that since at least 2007 back on /a/ and /b/.

facebook google etc took all the talent plain and simple.

>server os, router os, facebook os

but it's literally right there. getting embarrassed and memeing doesn't change that.

the fact that linux cant break into the desktop space despite the calamities of windows 8 and 10 just shows how fucked tehy are.

Microshit are still making money, they will continue to push towards Azure and other services and the corporate market. They couldn't give a shit about the consumer base.

Attached: msft.jpg (957x494, 97K)

>back on /a/ and /b/
Take your cancer back to /a/ and /b/ then
>2007
Implying I need to compare my epeen to yours.
Again, I'm not lost. I know where I'm at, and the historical format of the site and what that represents. I don't care what formatting you prefer. Makes it easier to spot the cancer that's been spilling in from cancer tier boards.

Attached: ctf.jpg (380x321, 32K)

It wont be GNU desktop year until someone finally gets mad and makes fully libre Devuan OpenRC-based Xubuntu

>he doesn't realize /a/ and /b/ were the main boards in 2007
Continue to prove your newfaggotry, you retard. Also, since you're too brainlet to realize, I'm not , moron. Now fuck off and take your ebin meme reaction images with you.

Devuan comes with XFCE out of the box.

Yeah but it doesn't look/act like Xubuntu out of the box

Attached: :3.png (128x128, 13K)

Too quick for that green text Jr. Your implications are outstanding.
>ebin meme reaction images
You have something in common with
Not only being ill-informed as to the format of the site, but being ill-informed as to what and how an image board works.
>We've been doing it since 07 /b/ro
Cancer then, cancer now.

double spaced 4/10 for reply

Attached: 1403487731011.jpg (229x221, 8K)

>Linux
Hahaha
>FreeBSD
Paahahaha
>MacOS
Aaaaaaahahahaha

Let me tell you about successful operating systems, boy.

A successful operating system has drivers for nearly all hardware that you try to install it on. None of the ones you mentioned have a driver library as expansive enough to compete with Windows. All Microsoft has paid for in a large majority is to program compatible drivers onto their operating system.

That's just for starters. Then comes UI, then comes features, user friendliness, and usability.

Everything else on pc is just dragging along behind Windows.

>he thinks imageboard means images are mandatory for random replies outside of OP
I am sorry for your mental illness, but being crippled on the brain doesn't excuse you from being a faggot. The saddest thing is that you don't have anything better in life than collecting (You)s on a weaboo image board.

Attached: 136.gif (400x225, 2.99M)

Let's look at the market share, shall we? Open source hasn't dominated only the desktop market.

Attached: 1497430342962.png (1682x607, 140K)

It makes retarded people more visible

Windows 10 LTSB + DWS.

But what amount of those used computers tho

Your chart is making my point for me. Why don't you see that?

I don't want linux to have high desktop marketshare desu

with that would come corporate meddling and advertisers because all the normies would finally be using linux

pls god no

>68% of phones use a closed-source operating system vaguely based on Linux except with trusted boot, no root access and a bunch of Californian and/or Chinese spyware installed
Isn't that just the saddest thing?

Attached: 1519357040647.jpg (657x527, 41K)

just wait for Librem 5

wow the thing with the billion dollar marketing budget has a larger market share than a product with no marketing whatsoever and a budget of $0, I am suprised at this because I don't know how humans work.

>nearly all hardware that you try to install it on.
Windows doesn't work at all on PowerPC
and very poorly on ARM.

FreeBSD is dead dude

>stratechery.com/2018/the-end-of-windows/

it's not a case of it being 'dead';
it deteriorated

m$ are ditching windows because it is unmaintainable

more like 2020 around the corner and their dying to commit suicide via not supporting Windows 7. They'll cut off their nose to spite their face like all other big powerful, all knowing people or companies, just to control for profit. It's all the bottom line bigger picture. They don't really give a fuck about any of their customers. They just want their money. Corporate capitalism, has true collaborative innovation by the balls and sheeple outside of the university establishment, need not apply.

Yeah yeah time to use loonix which is even less secure than winblows and even more bloated.

m$ marketing makes another lying/pointless pronouncement

execuse mua?

Honestly, if they're already passing the responsibility downhill then there's potential that it'll decline untill users have to maintain it. This would cause a pretty big collapse in technology use seeing how most home computers run Windows. At the same time it will allow other competitors to fill that spot with mobile phones already filling most of that gap. GNU/Linux may go mainstream in a future like that.

nope

good. I hope they go into maintenance mode and double down on quality and polish
it will be supplanted by whatever replaces the workstation computer

It would really be funny if Microsoft released all the source code for windows..

Could you imagine the distros that would spring up in a night.

People want the "Year of the Linux desktop" so they'd get better software and hardware support. Now most of the time I need wine or boot a Windows VM if I want to run some proprietary software. If Linux desktops were a thing there would be native ports available for more programs. In similar fashion hardware manufacturers would need to ship Linux drivers or support existing open drivers more than now.

Having le accessible distributions is just fine. That's what Android, ChromeOS and SteamOS are doing and they've had a very positive impact on general Linux software and hardware support. They've even resulted in new kernel features and drivers.

Attached: Valve-Tux.jpg (1280x720, 33K)

Meh. I mean, it worked for Apple with OS X. If Microsoft starts doing something like that (Windows 10.*, e.g. 10.1.1, 10.4.9, etc) it could work. If you look at macOS, though it functions mostly the same there are still a lot of large feature changes between the current version and say, leopard.

Granted, so long as they keep bringing in shitskin street shitters to do the work, those are going to be some really underwhelming releases.

no the fun part would be kicking over all the rocks and gawking at the horrors that come crawling out. I've seen more than one article with accusations that lots of stuff deep down in the kernel is awful, and pretty much unmaintained because there's nobody left at MS who understands it.

Not sure when that was last updated, but the last numbers I saw were a 2017 market analysis that put Linux around 1.8% and MacOS at around 11.6% because I remember having a laugh at how applel has almost 7 times as many users as Linux in the desktop market, yet it's clear that pretty much all of the 1.8% of Linux users come to this board to scream about other OSes and talk about how they're all "doomed" and "on suicide watch" because YOTLD guise.

EMBRACE

>Normie
You're part of the problem.

I wish this could kill off winblows 10 and its mandatory updates that bypass every single setting I put up, from metered connections to disabling it in registry AND services. I hope you die a slow and painful death Microsoft, you bunch of pricks.

FreeBSD BTFO

Attached: statcounter-os.png (1216x280, 201K)

>counting macOS as "Unknown"

As much as I hate Windows, it's still used almost exlcusively in offices and businesses. It's not dead, and it's not dying any time soon.

Windows is closed source

S

i would've ditched windows years ago but i like games so i have to fucking dual boot
is making games for other than windows is so fucking difficult or what?