Why do programmers categorize themselves as "language specific" developers?

For instance, I never see people calling themselves programmers. They'll call themselves PHP developers, C developers etc...

Why must it be so specific? I thought you had to be an expert in every language to work in the industry?

Attached: 89e613f510462526a1f23720c84d1b82.png (1240x1748, 2.27M)

To call yourself an expert in any one language is hubris. But every language? That's bullshit.

what programming language would Megumin use?

Only brogrammers diversify. They just need enough knowledge of whatever languages their company uses to be able to tell pajeet what to do.

php

>“You see,” he explained, “I consider that a man’s brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has difficulty laying his hands upon it. Now the skillful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones.”

>“But the Solar System!” [Dr. Watson] protested.

>“What of the deuce is it to me?” he interrupted impatiently: “you say that we go round the sun. If we went round the moon it would not make a pennyworth of difference to me or to my work.”

Sherlock Holmes is fiction but the lesson holds true. You really do push things out so it's better to hold tightly onto fewer tools that can do more. A programming language is one of them, especially because it's not just it's syntax, it's the ecosystem, libraries and quirks as well, 3+ languages is too much for me unless I refer to google/refs/stackoverflow

>I thought you had to be an expert in every language to work in the industry?
Blanket statements like that are often seen on the lower tier red-flag companies, and you better avoid them at all costs.

Several higher caliber firms clearly state the positionthey are looking for and what they require.

Its isn't really possible to master all layers of abstraction equally fantastically, so you often focuse on your area of interest and be great at that. Of course some knowledge in all levels is recommended.

The most important thing is being good at programming in general.
Then, you can learn the required languages when you need them. Languages are tools amd nothing more, avoid meme language wars and use the right tool for the job.

Which meme languages should one avoid?

anything with a lambda in its logo

>Why must it be so specific? I thought you had to be an expert in every language to work in the industry?
Are athletes experts at every sport? I mean professional athlete is going to be decent at football and running even if he plays hockey for living. And pro athlete is going to be better in virtually any sport than somebody who never touched any of them. Doesn't mean he has to be expert at more than one.

Why do language translators categorize themselves as "language specific" speakers?

For instance, I never see people calling themselves "talkers". They'll call themselves English speakers, German speakers etc...

Why must it be so specific? I thought you had to be an expert in every language to work in the industry?

ruby

Isn't it stupid said by Sherlock Holmes?
I mean, as an investigator he should know as much as possible to deduce the impossible and resolve the crime. Or at least, that is the Sherlock and investigator I know from the Cucumberbatch serie.
For a fact, knowing the sun and moon cycles he can deduce the lightning at certain period of time.

>hiring webdeveloper
>must be proficient in ASM

Java and Rust

>when falcon isn't making computer hardware charts, he is found quality shitposting

Attached: 1520599360420.jpg (992x1240, 130K)

C
it's "hard" and mostly useless

sauce

sauce pliss

> C
> mostly useless

I would seriously hate to work with you. Nothing says, "I use only enterprise programming labguages and copy + paste thr majority of my work" more than denying the utility and power of C in literally ANY era of computing post-1990.

Only webdevs.