Will the cost of RAM ever reach sane levels again? Anything past $100 per 16 GB is pure madness

Will the cost of RAM ever reach sane levels again? Anything past $100 per 16 GB is pure madness

Attached: 1509401426265.jpg (600x600, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PF8Dfgl3Wx4
staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=16gb ddr4&spos=3
pccasegear.com/category/186_1782/memory/all-ddr4-memory
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Theoretically it can, but not any time soon. Demand increased, supply didn't. For prices to come down the supply (of both raw silicon wafers, and then of DRAM made from them) has to expand. That involves spending a few years building billion-dollar fabs.

>prices ever going down

lol, you have to be 18 to post on Jow Forums.

>lol
Back to facebook nigger

>nigger
and you fuck your sister with that mouth?

>the free market will fix this
there are actually people who believe this in 2018

Attached: freeasinfree2.jpg (1589x1191, 297K)

Jokes on you I only fuck my mom

>that MOBO flex

I cringed

tis called assrock for a reason. never breakable stone mobo

Solution: stop playing video games and posting in speccy threads.

I've seen people hate on ASRock but all the modern manufacturers seem identical. Maybe 15 years ago some manufacturers had cheap shit where the caps went bad after a few years, but nowadays they're all reliable.

You have a pretty good English for a Japanese.

Because historically it always has, you fucking idiot.

>tfw had to spend $2k on ECC RAM for my server

Attached: file.png (330x128, 9K)

I'm almost tempted to build some xeon box that can use DDR3 ECC Reg which is like half of what normal ddr3 costs. I remember getting a 4gb stick for $4.25

historically all 4 major manufacturers of ram have never colluded to maintain price and production levels because their economists told them it was better to not compete.

there is no agency capable of stopping this short of chinese manufacturers and those have been a vaporware level meme since 2000~

I paid $220 for 12GB. The good brazilian life.

This is probably a completely bullshit theory but mine is that the prices are so high because the market is so fragmented.

At the moment the memory guys, Samsung, Micron and SKHynix have to make:

DDR3, LPDDR3, DDR4, HBM2, HBM, GDDR5, GDDR5X, GDDR6 (Plus Micron makes Optane). All of these separate lines are just using up space and resources. DDR3 is cheap because its old and established but when we moved to DDR4 they had to spin up new lines to make it, against massive demand, but can't shut down all these other things because they also need to get fed. Also phones don't use the same ICs so you're dedicating a lot of space to phones.

If these companies cut out some of these lower-demand chips and moved them to DDR4 then we could have much better supply and lower prices.

Then again this is probably wrong

were literally aware that prices are high because they have agreed to not lower them nor to up their production capabilities.

Your overthinking it, It's simple the DRAM cartel just has decided they want more cash so where in a period of artificial scarcity driven by lowered DRAM production and heightened demand.

Just stop buying RAM to show them that you're not going to pay their prices ;^)

some what related
youtube.com/watch?v=PF8Dfgl3Wx4
Installing SODIMM Memory in a Desktop

>DDR3 is cheap
Thats not how it works

Attached: 1519511823017.png (680x680, 430K)

About 5 years after chinese ram fabs go up, that is when youll see price drops.

boohoo i pay like 200-300+ for 16gb here in aus

thank mobile phones for this

Is that real dollars or strayan dollaridoos?

chinese fabs have been being designed and built for over 15 years.

staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=16gb ddr4&spos=3

decent speeds are $180+

Some sites like PCCG (largest most reliable supplier here overcharge like fuck)

pccasegear.com/category/186_1782/memory/all-ddr4-memory for 3200+

what does it take to break this? I'm aware there are legal options but since SK/Samsung are Korean and the Korean government probably won't do anything, what Economically-driven things can happen to stop this stupidity?

DDR3 is pretty cheap here, might have just been overstock that they're trying to get rid of.

Won't they just make borderline unusable ICs? plus what about all the IP and patents locked up with the Big guys that they don't have?

Just start buying memory from local semiconductor manufacturers in your area.

Attached: 1509443801490.jpg (184x171, 10K)

>what does it take to break this?
Since seemingly no one can make a legal case against the big 3, more players are necessary to brake up the market

>Won't they just make borderline unusable ICs?
Believe it or not the Chinese are capable of making quality stuff and if they want a chance to get into the DRAM market they better not make junk.

I thought Japanese boys only get handjobs from their mothers when they get stressed out.

what I meant is they have been in development for over half a decade yet there still isnt a single chinese fab. There probably never will be.

Chinese products range from absolute indian tier shit to absolutely fine but we will never see chinese ram so start by choosing which korean jew dick you want to suck.

I keep finding so much RAM from dumpster diving areas business throw out their old IT equipment that I don't think I'll ever need to pay for it ever again. 90% of the time it's DDR3 but found some DDR4 last week so looks like that's getting thrown out too now.

>Anything past $100 per 16 GB is pure madness
Your average consumer doesn't even nearly need 16GB.

Almost all intelligent single users don't either.

And server farms buying $100k of RAM at a time surely can negotiate bulk deals or something.

Good luck with prices coming down that much any time soon. It'll probably be years.

where the fuck are you dumpster diving and finding anything of value. the few times i managed to find my nuts and actually do it I found absolutely nothing of worth anywhere.

t. not a trash police

I choose Micron because they're a US company at least.

>and I made several thousand dollars swing trading their stock this year

It will eventually, the Big 3 are expanding their fabs and China is now getting into the RAM game and hopefully by 2019 or 2020 the market will be flooded with DRAM

Note that China began investing billions in 2014 for DRAM so it will happen sooner or later

China wants cheap domestically produced DRAM so that they can supply their domestic phone manufacturers with it and have them drastically undercut everyone else's smartphones all over the world in an attempt to corner the non-Apple phone market worldwide.

China won't necessarily fully flood the market with really cheap DRAM for your desktop computer even if they manage to reliably mass produce sooner or later.

Industrial estates/parks with lots of small businesses so there aren't any security fences. Lots of places go bust chucking everything out or have a big clean out so you have to keep an eye out for those big temporary dumpters. I also take note of hot spot areas with regular finds and return once a week if I can so I don't miss anything. Pic is my haul from a company last week that was upgrading which had the X99 system with DDR4 RAM. There were some old Proliant servers too that aren't pictured.

Attached: IMG_1036.jpg (1820x2680, 1.52M)

I bought 16 gigs right before this price boom for $60. I laugh at everyone who's trying to upgrade right now.

How illegal is this?

are you in cali or some other tech hot zone? guess living in bum fuck nowhere florida has its downsides for being a dumpster diver.

Even if China only supplies DRAM to phones then it'll rip the carpet from under the big guys. They'll have no choice but to re purpose those phone DRAM lines to DDR4 or something more in demand.

Fuck, I wish. Closest thing I have to that is my University, wonder if they'd let me buy some of their retired Optiplexes and monitors for cheap?

depends on the state/county within america. most business won't do shit but some of them will sperg the fuck out if you go anywhere near their trash(best buy and their bountiful trash compactor of imminent doom).

Fucking idiots. This same thing happened with Standard Oil in the early 20th century and Theodore Roosevelt put a boot up their asses over it. Obviously these are foreign manufacturers, so what needs to happen is that the US imposes sky high tariffs on other goods until they bend the knee and take care of these companies. This is yet another reason why globalism doesn't fucking work.

Attached: 1520368692615.jpg (780x785, 162K)

>They'll have no choice but to re purpose those phone DRAM lines to DDR4 or something more in demand.
Well, we can always hope.

OTOH there's probably no point in "relying" on it happening. Just pay your $140 or whatever and get it over with - at least you don't need to do this every 2 years. There are more srs expenses in life.

>This is yet another reason why globalism doesn't fucking work.
But it actually does work. You can get highly detailed nippon designed plastic waifus and camera (/sensors), burger and asian computer parts, european pharmaceuticals and tools and so on and so forth, all with a high degree of quality overall.

Sure, burgerland and other places are shit about monopolies and price fixing and stuff, but it wouldn't be any better if the market was just domestic, would it? Inb4 poorfags would be rich because muh domestic jobs. That never happened.

I don't even know the laws here but from what I've experience most people don't care. I should think I've been filmed on CCTV a millions times by now. In the 1.5 years doing it I've only been caught by security once.

I'm in UK and yeah, it's very dependent on the area. Around here it's very industrial in the centre of the country.

Attached: STP80277.jpg (1280x936, 337K)

ah yes the usa will impose tariffs on the ram being sold to china and other slave shitholes when their product is sold back into the united states to punish the memory jews and not everyone including the consumer.

brilliant!

> nowadays they're all reliable.
HAHAHA i'm going to screencap that one
most retarded shit I've read in a while

This isn't the first time this has happened. If you've been into PC assembling and have posted on Jow Forums since at least 2009 you'd know this has happened before, along with the GPU prices being fucked even back then by miners.

It's a roller coaster ride, strap in and stay seated.

Attached: 1217883424626.jpg (640x480, 54K)

The price of oil declined by 90% during the Standard Oil monopoly and began to rise right after it was broken up.

>tsunami wipes out the only HDD motor manufacturer in the entire fucking world
>HDDs triple in price within a week

Those were strange times.

They basically are, brand loyalty is beyond stupid in PC component land.

>tfw I stole my RAM from computers at my college

>risk getting kicked out of college over a stick of RAM

How did you even manage to get into college in the first place?

>Americans dumpster dive things that i can only dream about
You're fucking lucky living in a country with 10x higher sallaries and 10x lower costs

t. Balkanigger

>Maybe 15 years ago some manufacturers had cheap shit where the caps went bad after a few years, but nowadays they're all reliable.
You meant to say nowadays all manufacturers use equally cheap shit, so you can't tell any difference anymore.

Pusi kurac

I remember that.

Watch your back and stay safe, user......

Attached: curstboin.png (400x400, 24K)

This. Nobody supports local businesses these days. It's a disgrace.

Try £210 for my last 16gb. Ouch

>go dumpster diving
>find ddr4
>2133 mhz

Attached: 1507687994355.jpg (1024x962, 75K)

more importantly GPUs are twice as expensive now than they have been in 2015

>gpu
>important
>"b-but muh gpu accelerated fizzbuzz"
fucking kys you'reself

We truly are the niggers of Europe.
Feels bad seeing so many people build PCs that cost as much as the average person in the Balkans earns in 3 months.