Why do Windows users constantly talk about KB and MB? Kelvin Bytes? Metre Bytes? Don't they mean KiB and MiB?

Why do Windows users constantly talk about KB and MB? Kelvin Bytes? Metre Bytes? Don't they mean KiB and MiB?

Attached: 1515264804957.jpg (1440x810, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

comma.guide/vocative-comma/
grammar-monster.com/lessons/vocative_case_commas.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

kys imbecile

metre are a lowercase m

A kilobyte has been 1024 bytes since the start, and a megabyte has been 1024 kilobytes. The 1000 byte stuff is just an invention of penny pinching hard disk makers.

The kibi/mebi crap is an attempt to make things clearer to normies, and an autistic "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT'S NOT PROPER METRIC".

>kilobyte
kB
>1024 bytes
KiB

Windows users however often talk about KB, a nonsensical unit. Kelvin Byte?

>kys imbecile
Names that are being addressed directly are said to be in the vocative case. When somebody is being spoken to directly, his, her or their name must be separated from the rest of the sentence with a comma.
Correct: "KYS, imbecile."
comma.guide/vocative-comma/
grammar-monster.com/lessons/vocative_case_commas.htm

KB = kilobyte = 1024 bytes. This is how it's been since the 70s. See above post about autistic soyboy screeching.

k = kilo (base 10)
K = Kelvin
Ki = kilo (base 2)

KB = kilobyte = 1024 bytes. It's not a pretty metric unit, but it's standard. Arbitrarily redefining terms leads to confusion.

>standard
Not by any means.
Virtually every recognized scientific and/or standards organization has embraced metric units, including NIST, IEEE, ISO, IEC and NASA.

Attached: binary prefixes orgs.png (1280x905, 289K)

We call them k and m. We expect you to determine the meaning by context. For humans who think like robots this can prove troublesome.

k = kilo
m = milli

Autism itt

its the capital what matters
KB = 1024
kB = 1000
Kb = 1024
kb = 1000
KiB = 1024
K = 1024

Sure, but if someone writes 12mb you think they mean .012 bits? If so you function at a lower level of understanding than even Bing.

as long as you're doing this to better us all so that we can be more clear and correct, that's fine. I just hope this thread's intent wasn't to upset people unnecessarily.

m is mega you fuck

a kilon meant 1000n since the 1870s

If m means Mega, then what is milli?

>Sure, but if someone writes 12mb you think they mean .012 bits?
I ask them if they actually mean 12 Mb.

No, M is mega you stupid fuck.

Yes, I'd like to store a 500 millibyte file here...

is that really being thrown around or are you messing it up further? I thought it was supposed to be KB and KiB
either way it's fucking stupid

you can look at any book or manual written before a few years ago that defines a kilobyte (KB) in exact terms and it'll say it's 1024 bytes

>kys
Don't you mean kiys?

>kilo
>means 1000
A kilo of bytes is 1000 bytes. 2^10 was arbitrarily named kilobyte because 1000 itself isn't a multiplication of 2, but this naming scheme was incorrect and had to be corrected. The correct term is kibibyte.

>You can look up a book written over a thousand years ago saying that the Earth is the center of universe.
>you can look up a book written decades ago citing that mobile computers and phones aren't owned by the general population and are currently irrelevant
It's called outdated information, kid.

He means imiBecile
Also, I keep forgetting which is which. I have a problem with the different architectures as well.

Wrong.

Literally every tech company defines 1KB as 1024 bytes. Just check anything referencing RAm storage.

What does this picture have to do with technology? Are you retarded?

And here's the proof of APPLE doing it.

If they were consistent, it would say 34.36GB of ram.

Attached: fdsafads.png (971x765, 32K)

Apple uses decimal prefixes, retard. It's Windows the only OS that gets it wrong.

except they don't and that;s why their numbers are inconsistent

the definition of a term like this shouldn't be able to become outdated
see also every measurement in the metric system, the methods of determining most of them have changed but only to more precisely specify the size of the measurement