/spg/ - Smartphone General

けいおん! edition.

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

Recent News:
>ZTE Axon M: Laying the groundwork for a foldable phone future
xda-developers.com/zte-axon-m-laying-groundwork-foldable-phone-future/

>Here’s a list of Android devices updated with Project Treble support
xda-developers.com/list-android-devices-project-treble-support/

>US unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 8 now receiving Android Oreo
xda-developers.com/us-unlocked-samsung-galaxy-note-8-android-oreo/

>Google Removes the 100 Device Registration Limit from the Uncertified Device Page
xda-developers.com/google-removes-100-device-registration-limit-uncertified-device-page/

Previous →

Attached: 1505371333599.png (1920x1080, 1.64M)

Other urls found in this thread:

willmyphonework.net/
onkyodirect.jp/shop/g/gDPCMX1B_GUP_2/
techrankup.com/smartphones-ranking-geekbench-4-multi.php
gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_10_pro-review-1679.php
lineageosroms.org/forums/topic/lineageos-15-1-for-redmi-5-plus-android-8-1-oreo-download/
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-5-plus-global
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how do people even operate on those 2gb/435's then?

What's a phone better than galaxy s7 that cost a similar price?

Attached: 1522786508726.jpg (803x790, 84K)

Laggily

um, the s7!

Note 8 or LG v30

>similar price

You can buy them cheap on ebay (500-600€)

Reposting because I didn't see the end of the thread

Are you sure this wasn't just your phone?

I am interested to see if anyone else had this issue because I use my phone for a lot of music listening and video watching

(about the Mi A1)

This is a dealbreaker for me. Is it worth saying fuck it and getting a chink botnet Huawei Honor 9 Lite? I'd still want to get a phone with a fairly stock Android so I can run things like emulators. Even if my info goes to the Chinese government I won't lose access to my accounts, right?

And the cheapest s7 are about 300 € (but cheap phones from ebay or amazon are more often than not reconditionned sold as "new")

I'm just here looking for some fun or useful apps for my s8+

IT can handle more than one Bluetooth device at a time right? I have SNES Emulator and a Bluetooth controller. You think I can play 2 player SNES if I pick up another controller??

Attached: Dragon-Ball-Z-Team-Training_1522597957292.png (240x160, 8K)

Looking for a phone for about $200ish. Should I get a mi a1 now or wait for the redmi note 5 to come out?

>けいおん! edition.
OP, I fucking love you!

Attached: ritsu-love.gif (216x273, 350K)

Attached: snapshot_08.36_[2016.07.28_08.06.38].png (1920x1080, 3.18M)

Is the redmi note 5 and redmi note 5 pro the same thing? Is this going to be the /spg/ mi a1 replacement?

Whats a good keyboard app? Apparently Swype got discontinued and I haven't been able to find one with the ctrl+C/ctrl+V functionality that I'm very use to

No. Mi A2 will be the replacement.

When is that coming out?

What ROM should i put on my Zenphone 2 laser

I've got a 425 in my current phone, but looking to upgrade.
Tried out a "refurb" HTC10, but the battery is half gone already, so I get maybe 2-3 hours of SoT and it's dead.

What's would be a good phone to try instead?
I was kinda looking at the LG V20 since they're same specs andsimilar price, and have a replaceable battery, but I worry it will get pretty bad life too, just being as huge as it is.

Can you run non Play Store apps (apks downloaded off of the internet) on MIUI OS without any sort of rooting?

Yes

For those of you with chinkphones, how well do they work in the US? What carrier do you use?

Nice, thanks. With that in mind I might be getting a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro, because of the increased battery life and the Mi A1's issue with headphones being a deal breaker. However I cannot find that phone on UK sites for sale - is there a different name for it in the West? If so, What is it?

Are there any known issues with the Redmi Note 5 pro? And for anyone who has used the Redmi Note 5 Pro, has anyone had any issues with it?

Cheapest/ best Chinkphone with Quick Charging?

The phone is not out for sale yet...

Best suggestion for a Verizon wireless phone, that isn't gonna bankrupt me?

Hmm, ok, I got it from the pastebin so I assumed it was out. I know for sure that the Redmi 5 plus is out and available, and is an alternative to the Mi A1.

Are there any known issues with the Redmi 5 plus? And for anyone who has used the Redmi 5 Plus, has anyone had any issues with it?

So chinkphones don't work in the US?

Depends on the bands available on the phone, some do and some don't, check the specs case by case

I heard that most US carriers are phasing out GSM. It is gone already on At&t.

Help me out here which one should I get:
A) Moto x4 3gb RAM 32gb Storage bundled with this Moto sphere speaker+Bluettoth Headphone for +/- $440 USD?

or

B)I spend a little more and only buy a single Moto z2 Play 4gb RAM 64gb Storage for +/- $467 USD?

Attached: 91kfL+p-g6L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 507K)

This should be in the OP somewhere for those looking for chinkphones. You would also need to check your local towers to determine if the bands are avalible on the tower near you.
willmyphonework.net/

Trying to decide between Moto G5 Plus and Huawei Mate SE. Any opinions / experience? I'm leaning away from the moto, because my previous phone is a Moto X Pure, and it has been an absolute nightmare of a phone, far worse than the moto g1.

Fuck off Kotonoha, Sekai is much better.

What issue does the Mi A1 have with headphones?

Motorola G5S Plus or Xiaomi Mi A1?

If Mi A1 supports 4g band in your country go for it. Mi A1 is considered high mid range, while G5s plus is plain midrange

Yes, but I was concerned about the headphone hissing sound: that alone would make me ditch it. I was thinking about the redmeme note 5, but it has MIUI, while I'd like stock Android.

After looking a little, I found a good deal for a Moto X4, anyone has any issue to report about it?

Best phone for around 200-250 usd? Ordered a XZ but it got lost in the mail. I care about the camera and it having a good processor and something that wont break in my pocket. Any help is appreciated. Tempted by chinese phones but they all have old processors that turns me off.

onkyodirect.jp/shop/g/gDPCMX1B_GUP_2/

Is it worth it anons?

Attached: 1522556679237.jpg (900x1000, 470K)

How long should I expect to wait till I can get a Redmi Note 5 Pro for ~£200?
Busted my old phone so kinda stranded atm

>

Need help buying a new "smart" phone. My current motorola is on its way out.

United States
Verizon
$400 or less
Android preferred with a good camera.

I'm tempted to get a Blackberry Q20 that was mentioned in a previous thread and that's basically where I am now.

Attached: 1522028646206.jpg (533x400, 186K)

Get the Redmi 5 Plus, beside the fact that it still uses a micro-usb, it's better than the Mi A1.

guys i need a good $130 or less unlocked cellphone, i dont care about the camera i just care about the screen, anyone knows anything good?

with that budget it's time for a new job

I heard that they are discontinuing the mi a1.

mi a1 or honor 7x?

Attached: lol1.jpg (255x221, 22K)

it is in the OP

300 dollars max
Can do file management in case of computer failure.
Can watch videos at 720p equivalent hd standard.
Can download a Jow Forums browser for when im on break at work
Call/text bread butter combo
Easy swap sim cards if possible
Nothing too big for pockets
Good sound chip for iheartradio music on the road
Decent attenna for range

Whats recommended for these above needs?
Verizon or similar network type

>honor 7x
i have the mate se. its pretty good, considering all i use it for is ebooks and music on the boat. lasts 8 days w/ 8hrs sot.

Redpill me on honor view 10

Any help here user?

It's huawei, if you are in USA they'll be banned by law.

:(

A1 little better performance and slightly better features
techrankup.com/smartphones-ranking-geekbench-4-multi.php

mfw just posted by threads instructions but ignored

Attached: 5bd66d67d679f4201187f2e7e17790f3557aa6f1f372bda6fa328825739e4d5e.gif (600x487, 120K)

ZTE Axon 9 when?
my Note 3 needs to go

Hello sir please buy Google pixel 2 :) ....

>no SD cards
um try again sweetie

i'm really itching to try loading an open source OS (ubantu mobile) onto an android phone.

Looked at various web resources, but does anyone know a good definitive site(s)?

Anyone tried this?

Any thoughts on the Lg G5?

there are billion threads about this on xiaomi forums, as well as 4pda.

imo it's better to get a new nokia 6, or wait for mi a2, whenever it's coming

>no sd
>no 3.5
>glass back
>oversized
>overpriced
shutupandholdmymoney(not).3gp

Then get the LG G6 for about this price

>using SD cards in 2018

Similar to Oneplus with flagship processor but without other flagship bling, but with simlar low price and sd card slot.

Attached: image.jpg (592x800, 405K)

After pondering for a while, I've decided to go with the RedMeme 5 plus over the Mi A1. Anyone noticed similar problems to the infamous headphone hissing issue on the latter?

Attached: 1492882942547.jpg (1080x1920, 653K)

>kirino 970 flagship
Uhh, no. The processor is a little slower than sd835 and the GPU is in the mid-range.

Are there any FOSS call recorder apps?

Attached: mpv-shot0021.jpg (1274x694, 111K)

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm watching a lot of reviews online too.

I think we'll have to delete a lot of the bloatware on it when we first get the phone but other than that it should be ok

>If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Looking for a not so expensive android running smartphone to buy, I have a sim only plan.
I am a europoor, willing to spend around 400,- euro's. I don't watch movies or anything on the phone, I like to read and browse and take pictures. Battery life is important to me.

I was looking at the Moto G5S plus, are there other good options?

Femanon here

Avoid the LG G6. Every LG flagship for the last five years has ended up bootlooping after around 18 months

Attached: selfie6.jpg (1024x1024, 173K)

>Moto G5S plus
Avoid lenovorola.
Also the camera on that shit is total garbage.

The bloatware is not an issue for me, as I'm planning on flashing a custom ROM ASAP. Lineage is also starting to support it.

I bought Nokia 7 plus yesterday. Do you want to know about that model, Jow Forums?

You must be confusing the 970 with Kirin 960
gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_10_pro-review-1679.php

>The Kirin 970 finally brings a mighty and cutting-edge GPU - Mali-G72MP12, a massive upgrade over the previous generation. Unlike the Mate 10, the 10 Pro has a lower-res 1080p screen (it's actually 1080 x 2160) so its GPU performance has to be better than any other Mate so far. And the benchmark tests reveal exactly - the Mate 10 Pro is beating all Android smartphones but the Xperia XZ1 when it comes to onscreen graphics.
>The offscreen tests can reveal the true power of the 12-core Mali-G72. It turned out a lot faster than the 8-core G71 found in Mate 9, and equal to the Adreno 540 (Snapdragon 835) and not that far from the 20-core G71 inside the most recent Galaxies.

Wait for Nokia 7 Plus

I might look into Lineage. I've heard MIUI isn't too bad and that you can actually run things like Emulators and any other Android apk on it so there isn't much of an issue there. When you say starting to support it, does that mean you can essentially swap to Lineage from MIUI? Would that void warranty similar to custom firmware on handheld consoles?

No, I mean Kirin970.

Attached: 2.png (583x516, 129K)

Tell that to my phone, I need it for work etc.

Sorry m8, I now see it is already avaliable for preorder and released end of the week.

whats the most autistic launcher?

I don't know much about voiding the warranty to be honest, but if I'm not mistaken there should still be some way to restore the original ROM.
As for support, I came across this article: lineageosroms.org/forums/topic/lineageos-15-1-for-redmi-5-plus-android-8-1-oreo-download/

It looks like it's still in beta, but it's promising. After rereading it, it looks like it would be best to wait a little to flash it.

I've been looking for complaints about the headphone jack, which made me rule out the Mi A1, but so far I haven't seen any.
This would make the Micro USB literally the only real downside (which still isn't a big deal). Does anyone know anything about the hissing?

Attached: 1493432519163.gif (500x489, 1.16M)

Do you mean artistic

Don't know if it's autistic enough for you, but you consider wanting FOSS at all costs autism, I'm using OpenLauncher from F-Droid and I find it breddy gud.

Attached: 1500707147090.png (2000x1750, 740K)

My Sony Z3 is starting to fall apart. I'm ready for a new phone.

The phone has been great. Decent camera and battery life. I'm looking for something similar. I don't want to go bigger than a 5" screen.

UK. I've got a good sim only deal with EE. But I'm sure the retentions department will offer me good deals if I threaten to leave.

>I don't want to go bigger than a 5" screen.
I suggest giving up that hope in 2018.

I've seen 6" screens on newer phones and they don't seem too bad. I'm thinking the Nokia 7 plus from what I've read and compared.

hold out for the Sony XZ2 compact, or get a XZ1 compact if you can't wait

Ok, now show me a midrange SoC that scores anywhere near that.

They're wasting less space, that's why they are better. What counts is overall phone size, not screen size per se if you're concerned about it.

I understand your doubts, I have small fucking hands and I'd kill for a smaller-sized modern phone, but now it's incredibly hard to find anything under 5 inches.

MX player is nowhere near as good as it's claimed to be. Ads every time you pause, and can't play AC3 audio for some videos. I initially installed VLC because it could play videos on samba shares, but lately I just use VLC to play everything.

>don't want to go bigger than a 5" screen.
same, been looking at samsung j2 pro 2018 it has almost the exact same res as the PS vita did
oled so presumably okay battery life but some 28nm 400 something snapdragon rather than new 14/10nm hotness
no light sensor too but i personally always set brightness manually anyway

samsung need to hurry the fuck up on those next gen flip/fold phones this race to become a 16cm ruler is getting ridiculous

Hmm, ok, thanks, that sounds good, I feel like it would make sense to wait and see how it all pans out and what support it gets, often giving it a bit of time means that people can write step by step guides for it as well.

Also, will you get the 3GB RAM or the 4GB RAM version?

>Redmi 5 Plus is $199 in USA
>£221 on Amazon in UK (310.31 US Dollars)

Man you guys have it lucky

Don't buy chinkphones from amazon, always overpriced. £160 on ebay.

Can confirm, here in Italy the Redmeme 5 Plus, for example, is almost 30€ cheaper on Ebay.

Just get it straight from the chinks
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-5-plus-global

What about refunds if there is an issue? Amazon is great for that. I checked that link and it seems that most of the shops are Chinese (no warranty for sure). If there's an issue, I'm fucked and I've lost £180