Brainlet here, can anyone explain IPv6 to me...

Brainlet here, can anyone explain IPv6 to me? Will we still use NATs for local networks or will each computer have it's own externally available IP address?

Attached: brainlet.jpg (211x239, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption&tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Avoiding NAT and giving everything an externally-routable address is the whole point of IPv6. The internet greybeards have wanted that forever, since they find NAT objectionable for both practical and philosophical reasons. The rest of the world has mostly found IPv6 more of a pain to deal with than NAT, though.

Feasible IPv6 only network when?

>Will we still use NATs for local networks or will each computer have it's own externally available IP address?
we will probably have an uncomfortably long period of NAT ipv6

the first reason is network engineers/security people that have not learned how to deal with the ipv6 specification and automatically assume that anything that initiated a connection externally should be blocked
you can still block this at the router so it doesn't matter, but the idea of addresses being routed externally makes neophytes very uncomfortable

the second reason is isps really don't feel like assigning blocks of ip addresses of any size, and especially allowing ip addresses to be configured by the user, cause it's going to fuck up all the tracking they are paid to keep easy, and not be able to sell all the static ip packages they want to

ideally, the spec allows for several planets worth of all the devices on earth currently
indeed, everything that uses electricity to any capacity on earth would be able to have an ip address
but if isps assign blocks of dozens of thousands of ipv6 addresses per customer, that's going to run out again fast

Local network? Today. One of the first big deployments was Facebook in 2014. All their internal datacenter networking is IPv6-only, they only talk v4 at the edges to the outside internet. They did it because they got big enough that they ran out of space in 10.0.0.0/8, kek.

Whole internet? We won't see it for decades.

Yeah I meant globally. IPv6-only internal nets aren't that special.

>and not be able to sell all the static ip packages they want to
>Be kraut
>Be with telekom
>Get IPv6 /56 subnet
>It's a dynamic prefix
>Want static? Pay for our business option!
fml

question: how do network admins in small companies memorize IPs they may need for just a minute to type in? You have to write down the whole damn thing? No compression technique?

IPv4 is easy enough to memorise
For IPv6 you usually pick memorable stuff. For example:
DNS1: ::53:1
DNS2: ::53:2

Comcast of all fucking people was giving me IPv6 last year. Supposedly they'll give you a /60 prefix delegation if you tell your router to ask for it. (I didn't bother setting it up) Then I moved and now I'm on Spectrum, who seems to not be handing out v6 anything.

I'd attribute it more to laziness than to malice. ISPs are big, lazy organizations, they'll only move when lack of v4 addresses causes too many problems for them. That is, too many problems that CGN won't fix, presumably because it breaks too many things that customers have gotten used to having.

you can always just keep using dynamic DNS

again, DNS. But if you want your IPs neatly organized you can do DHCP with v6 just like you can with v4. You don't have to put up with SLAAC and it's randomly-scattered dynamically-generated addresses.

Except on Android, where Google refuses to support DHCP6, only SLAAC. Some large organizations deployed iPhones because of this, actually, they relief on DHCP to know what was on their network and where.

IPv6 is much bigger in Asia where they don't have nearly enough IPv4 addresses for their billions of people

Copy & paste
IPv6 can be shortened though, you can leave out zeros
::1 is the shortest IPv6 address (localhost)

>you can always just keep using dynamic DNS
This is what I'm doing. I'm pushing my prefix updates to one of my nameservers, but that's still annoying as shit.

>But if isps assign blocks of dozens of thousands of ipv6 addresses per customer, that's going to run out again fast
Why not just give computers dynamic IPs but on really long leases, like a 5 or 10 year lease? That will let unused addresses get recycled but every computer that's actively being used and not thrown in the trash gets to keep its address.

Not really. The biggest IPv6 deployment is in the US, Canada and western Europe. Japan and India have decent deployment but it's basically on par with the average of western nations. China has fuck all for IPv6 and might as well be Africa tier.
google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption&tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption

it would be a routing nightmare (computationally) to have an isp assign addresses as a new host needs them
giving blocks to a customer and having them do their own dhcp assignments for external addresses makes more sense

really giving everyone a block of 60000 is perfectly doable as long as you ignore the ridiculous levels of waste
ipv6 spec stuff using modified eui-64 is assuming a customer would have 18000000000000000000 which is just... why
again ignoring waste, we can probably do that, but the nobody has formally put forth a standard that makes sense to deploy commercially

>which is just... why
mainly to make SLAAC work. They wasted 64 of the 128 bits just so they could pick addresses at random and have a sufficiently low chance of collision. They should've just stuck with DHCP6

>16,777,216 hosts
sure buddy

In 30 years

What are the benefits and drawbacks of stateful vs stateless?

>Wrote an JIT compiler for php because it was too slow
>Rewrote std::vector because too slow
>Hacked android memory management variables because their app was over the 100Mb limit

What happened to IPv5?

Attached: 1511279933249.png (1066x600, 217K)

If they do admin stuff from one machine, they can just edit the hosts.file.

Attached: file.png (1442x348, 106K)