Valve's still committed to GNU/Linux

"We're still working hard on making Linux operating systems a great place for gaming and applications. We think it will ultimately result in a better experience for developers and customers alike, including those not on Steam."

The removal of Steam Machines was done because they weren't selling. It doesn't mean they have given up on GNU/Linux, quite the opposite. Valve realized it's the future and they know GNU/Linux run games better and faster and they are actively preparing for Microsoft's inevitable bankruptcy.
steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1696043806550421224/

Attached: linux-is-the-best-gaming-platform.png (1251x1050, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.en.html
youtube.com/watch?v=fs4dqUqDNDg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder that there's plenty of totally free Steam games for GNU/Linux.

Attached: steam-linux.jpg (1926x1126, 449K)

nobody on Jow Forums cares about GNU/Linux taking over the desktop this year?

Attached: Cheng Xiao (WJSN) - She is so freaking cute ♥.webm (820x720, 2.62M)

A guy can dream, but it would be too gradual to happen in a year

>MUH GAYMENS
>MUH GAYMERS

>>>/V/

You can now play _any_ DX11 game at 60-70% of native performance.
There is no reason to even use my passthrough anymore.

The time has come and so have I.

You have no more excuses.

Attached: Screenshot_20180401_135644.png (1920x1080, 1.96M)

You still have to fiddle fuck with games to get them to work, and get blocked by DRM and anti-cheat that isn't/can't be emulated.

>60-70% of native performance.
That's great but I suspect it's not enough for the one game my NEET brother plays all day every day: GTA V. Doesn't affect me since I don't play it. I'm just saying that 60% performance doesn't cut it for worthless NEETs who barely manage to muster the effort to dress themselves and eat.

>All that weebshit

You can do better with opengl and modern amd cards. Some games run faster than the native windows versions.

You neglect the fact that wine containerizes your games.

I have a functional DS1 prefix that has all of my custom mods preinstalled so I don't need to futz for an hour to figure out what order to install them in that won't crash the game as everything is dirty hacks.

This is barely even the beginning of DXVK.
No one knows about it yet it can run anything with MUCH better frametimes than wine's OpenGL layer and all in under one fucking year of development.

If it implements shader pipeline emulation the jig is up 100% and you'll be seeing games pushing high frames on the abstraction vulkan layer than native.

If you want to uncuck your life, install gentoo.

Last time I tried playing CSGO was last year and the framerate was worse

Reminder that Steam is proprietary malware that locks you in with DRM. Stream is mutually exclusive with freedom. By adopting Steam as an ecosystem on Linux, you're turning Linux into what Google did and is still in the process of doing with Android: open-source at the core, but utterly reliant on a proprietary ecosystem to function, reducing the merits of FLOSS to none.
Gamers should fuck off and stay on Windows. The "Linux desktop" doesn't need you nor want you.

Attached: 1471007438949.jpg (690x460, 62K)

lol what, I can get over 400fps with my 980ti + 7700k

on Windows 7

I admit that.

Attached: unlock-waifus-game.jpg (2572x1489, 692K)

as long as
a) OEMs still only offer Windows when buying a pre-built and
b) professional software is only available on Windows and Mac
Linux is not going to take over the market.

Prime example is the Microsoft Office Suit.
While there are Linux alternatives, which work great for the most parts, when it comes to some specialized tasks they still don't hold a candle.
Same with Adobe Suit, and especially for industry applications.

There's this idea that you can't make money off of Linux, even though you could sell software on it perfectly fine

Attached: 1510331828414.jpg (390x430, 60K)

>>Prime example is the Microsoft Office Suit.
they're pushing everyone onto Office 365 anyway, and Google Docs has been a thing for years. LibreOffice is gonna win the local-application-office-suite war because MS is abandoning it.

sounds about right for the target audience of gnu + linux

>LibreOffice is gonna win the local-application-office-suite war because MS is abandoning it.
lol stay in school kid because its obvious you have never had a real job

>The "Linux desktop" doesn't need you nor want you
omg what a fucking moron

>LARPing as a salaryman

CS GO runs like shit on Ubuntu/Mint when compared to Windows here, like around 100fps on a 1060

A constant revenue stream is nice and all, but subscription based software is cancer,
especially for daily drives.

Still, I hope some company will make a proper paid office suit for Linux,
because people who use Linux right now are either happy with the compatability of LibreOffice or use LaTex et al
and neither is going to make a break through at the common workplace

Attached: 1501685378783.jpg (3872x2592, 589K)

>>Still, I hope some company will make a proper paid office suit for Linux,
why the fuck would you want it to be paid? Why wouldn't you just want people to improve whatever areas of LibreOffice you find lacking? Anyway if there's widespread agreement that subscriptions are bad, then that's good for pushing people towards LibreOffice.

I'd also bet a lot of outfits wouldn't find LibreOffice lacking at all. They just use Microsoft stuff because that's what they've always done. Inertia is a powerful force.

>60-70% of native performance
that's not good enough

It did, what OpenGL managed to do for dx9 over like a decade, in less than one year for DX11 without hauling insane microstutter in.

If this doesn't give you a raging hardon you should stop using computers.

Attached: 1522787426564.gif (295x218, 1.69M)

So why is left for dead 2 still not on it?

>DXVK
I'm gonna dl and try it with HoneySelect.

>Microsoft Office Suit
Microsoft already lost the Office suit and LibreOffice didn't win. I really don't like "cloud" services, my personal preference is to keep my personal data local. But that's not how the corporate world works. Both my sisters use Google Docs at their respective jobs for the exact same reason (even though they are in completely different fields); they travel and work from all kinds of places.

How? Emulation in WINE? PlayOnLinux? I'll give you a blowjob if you can get me Tekken 7 and peripherals working on a linux distro.

Left for dead 2 IS on Steam for GNU/Linux. I haven't forked over the €20 required to play it so I can't tell you if it's good or not. But it's there and you can play it if you're willing to fork that over.

Metro Redux is for sale on Steam today, btw. I'm considering forking over €4

Attached: left4dead2-linux.jpg (1932x1129, 326K)

>DXVK
Damn, it looks promising.

>needs minimum 3.5 wine
>Debian Sid is at 3.0
Welp, time to try and build it again. Last time I had to chroot or some shit and I can't remember what I did.

Attached: 57da2491d49971902298ef0a4195e587.gif (540x302, 1.28M)

it is on steam. left 4 dead 1 isnt, but theres no reason to play that

>time to try and build it again
im doing the same right now. good luck

Attached: l4d2-fs8.png (560x749, 92K)

valve is dead

Passthrough is still the best way. That guy is delusional. I play T7, DBFZ, and SFV via passthrough and it's fucking great.

How are the AMD drivers on Linux? Last I heard they were trading blows with Nvidia's proprietary drivers. Do they have Vulkan running yet and I'm a slowpoke?

I was reading a how-to on passthrough and it seems way too complicated. Not to mention, the process required the host and the guest both have their own dedicated graphics card AND monitor...which basically defeats the point for me. If I wanted another computer just for games, I'd buy one.

>the process required the host and the guest both have their own dedicated graphics card AND monitor
That's only partially true. My setup uses my i5's integrated gfx for Linux and a 1070 for Windows. I only use one monitor because it's hooked up to a AV receiver. I just flip between HDMI input 1 and input 2. But yeah setting it up is somewhat complicated and you kind of have to commit to it. I started by wiping my SSD clean and followed a guide.

>Passthrough is still the best way.
It's inconvenient.
You need an extra display since Looking Glass isn't ready.
Extra GPU means you sacrifice Linux performance unless you go with similarly priced GPUs.
Multiple peripherals in keyboard and mouse for less latency.
etc.

SR-IOV would make it THE option, but it's not on consumers.

I forgot you needed an additional keyboard and mouse to do this. As I said, I might as well just buy a second computer and an HDMI/KVM switch at that point, fuck the emulation.

Wait, DKVK was just one guy that wasn't a winedev?

Attached: Shocking Truth.gif (500x700, 1006K)

It's not just inertia, MS deliberately breaking compatibility with their """""open"""""" standards to attack competitors it's another one of the major reasons

>steam on linux
>have to install 32-bit packages
no

I'm so mad I didn't get it for free years ago.

>The removal of Steam Machines was done because they weren't selling. It doesn't mean they have given up on GNU/Linux, quite the opposite
It's just that steam machines weren't made by valve in the first place. They had almost nothing to do with it. They did no advertising too. One should be stupid to even consider steam machines as an attempt by valve to sell something. They would have done something more aggressive, you would have seen ads everywhere including TV and street like sony and microsoft does with their console.
At this point, I'm pretty sure that steam is gonna release half life 3, portal 3 and left 4 dead 3 as time exclusive to steam machines and linux to convince people buying their consoles.

>32bit libs
if windows would die already we would be free from this bloat.
Arma3 is 64bit now and runs even better, was playing it last night.
Just need a 64bit client....

I'll stay with passthrough and keep 99.9% of the performance.

His games need
>DRM
>Privacy violating anti-cheat
>Privacy violating Analytics
>Windows API
>DirectX
And he LOVES this!
But he wants the same trash on Linux!

Attached: 1499602984531.png (485x443, 64K)

no one (except linux mint maybe) forces you to install steam on linux, however everyone profits from improvements to mesa stack that linux gaming provides. Steam is a good thing no matter how you look at this, and you can support non-drm sellers if you dont like it. Even game devs wins in this scenario because people started developing multiplatform games and selling them all across steam, gog and humble, without steam we would have to fuck around with wine forever.

Would you recommend Everlasting Summer?

gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.en.html
He seems bothered and worried about Steam but not as much as one would expect him to be. Even he recognizes the practical benefits.

I personally don't mind if some of my programs are closed source. If my browser and OS is open source that's almost enough. Other programs aren't open all the time. Maybe instant messaging client and e-mail client as well, so my communication isn't being spied on. If a game is closed source then it can spy on me only while I'm running that game and I don't usually do other things at the same time while playing. When the foundation of the system is free and open then other programs can be changed whenever some open source version becomes a good alternative to the closed source one. Windows will never be as good because of this.

Linux was never about being 100% foss
software. Its good to keep the core/base
system foss for multiple good reasons,
but refusing to cooperate with companies
in bringing big proprietary software is plain
retarded. Its just ignoring what some users
need and focusing on your autistic beliefs.

An example is CAD software, i don't see
threads bashing qcad pro or bricscad
because it's non-free software available
for linux, its a good thing to have those at all.

Running proprietary software on a free operating system is still much better than running proprietary software on a proprietary operating system.

I gladly take all the features Android community has pushed into Linux kernel. Same for all the kernel and Mesa updates that Valve does.

sid is at 3.0 but playonlinux is at 3.5. I dont understand why would anyone not use POL when it helps keep wine contained

it's not so much that I want to pay for it.

Here's the deal:
>paid software
>something breaks
>it either gets fixed or not
>if it doesn't, nobody is going to buy their products again
vs
>same scenario with free software
>either it gets fixed or fix it yourself
>if it doesn't get fixed, welp, you didn't pay fo it anyway, so fix it yourself

it gives industry partners a level of confidence.
look at RHEL: sure you can use it for free, but if you want something fixed you can pay them.

Attached: 1521999183252.jpg (1138x1137, 159K)

>Valve realized it's the future and they know GNU/Linux run games better and faster
Really? I thought it was Windows 10 S and general Microsoft control that bothers them (probably correctly so).

I always claimed that people should opensource their proprietary abandonware, maybe someone can pull something good out of it or at least adapt it for newer systems.

it is. but in early times of steam on linux they realized that porting l4d2 to opengl fixed some of it's shader issues and improved performance, and the press went all over it, so they decided that it's good to share about their (positive) experiences with Linux and open source software.

Would you say workplaces would be reluctant to use free software because they are afraid it won't be good enough.

Ah you're right it was lfd1.

> Reminder that Steam is proprietary malware that locks you in with DRM
As long as copyright and [in the burger case, software patents] are what they are, you're somewhat locked into restrictions anyhow.

Steam deserves some credit for keeping its DRM shit clearly separated from the system, not interfering with other methods of installing software [neither your package manger nor some GOG installer nor something else should suffer], and generally pushing the intrusiveness of DRM down a bit (you don't exactly need TPM keys, games are ALLOWED to ship without any DRM and so on).

It's not perfect, no, but you're not going to get any better for the commercial games ecosystem with current copyright.

(cont'd)
> utterly reliant on a proprietary ecosystem to function
Not actually the case for Android either. There are devices that run all open sauce drivers [that not all do is various hardware vendor's fault].

And Google has so far made it possible to cleanly take out the Google license-encumbered store parts from the rest of Android.

You can just use Google services - free Android ROMs with only F-Droid and your own .apk files if you want. Google, too, deserves definitely some credit for enabling that. They could have made most things above the kernel proprietary and / or pretty impossible to separate from proprietary Google services, but that's generally not the case.

Apple makes shit hardware and they are moving to arm.
Microsoft is trying to kill win32 and pretty much have control of all the software market using their store.
Linux is kind of their only choice.

I remember when i bought a game without drm on steam on linux. Didnt like it and refunded it. And now i still have the binary for some reason and it works.

>Microsoft is trying to kill Win32

This is going to be fucking hilarious to watch in the coming years

Wasn't it initially because windows 8 was so shit?

>moving to arm.
Huh?

I'd say companies rather want to work on their own products than fix tools they use,
especially non-technology based companies.
It's unnecessary overhead for them.

Attached: ghf445897.jpg (570x342, 78K)

Winfags excuses for using windows will fall one by one:
There is still support for windows with legacy win 32 applications!
> microsoft stops legacy support for win32
But i can still use my favourite versions of old apps!
> windows store updates now automatic.
Well i'll use this app to change this hidden setting that turns off automatic updates!
> microsoft removes apps that allow you to configure hidden settings
Well i still have my legacy software that got ported to the windows store
> microsoft removes old unmaintained apps from the store due to api change.(or security reason whatever)
Muh games
> No gog, No steam. All shitty mobile games. Older games dead.
Muh torrents
> no apps outside the store.
I'll just use another app store
> no third party app stores(this is the reason steam and gog want to move out)

Fucken screencap this

>open-source at the core, but utterly reliant on a proprietary ecosystem to function
>if you play video games they will eventually evolve into your entire operating system and userland
No. Just no.

This isn't even remotely correct, and you're a fucking retard for even suggesting it.

Attached: 1506129446104.jpg (800x900, 48K)

Those are terrible examples, better examples would be Rocket League, Factorio, Stardew Valley, Terraria, Borderlands 2, Xcom, Binding of Isaac, Darkest Dungeon and so on. Given, if your looking to play games at least then Windows will always be better until Steam does something
Yes

Attached: DGMymYF.jpg (147x153, 8K)

>at least
fuck, meant "on release"

nice falseflag wintard

you can install appx without using the store at all
literally do any of you actually know what you're talking about

I don't understand, how does Nvidia work better on Linux, their drivers are pure shit, especially for those newer cards

I'll stay with gallium-nine and get 110% of the performance

Praise Gaben!

When I was using passthrough, I used Synergy to solve the multi peripheral issue. In the script that booted the Windows VM it started a Synergy client and the VM would autostart a Synergy server on boot. Low latency on the VM but still usable on the host.

>There are devices that run all open sauce drivers
Name one modern device that does so. Every LineageOS build I've looked at for popular phones has proprietary drivers and other blobs bundled. Not to mention the baseband!
>And Google has so far made it possible to cleanly take out the Google
And simultaneously crippling the device.
>They could have made most things above the kernel proprietary
That's pretty much what they did, by ceasing development of open-source libraries and APIs, and pushing their own proprietary ecosystem. They're current developing their own kernel, and from there on Android will cease entirely as development will shift over. Google doesn't deserve any "credit" for turning Android into a data-mining platform, and for locking the average user in worst than Microsoft does, and for enabling GPL violations (clearly showing they don't give a shit about open-source).

>posts Stallman
>belives in Stallman philosophy
>doesn't refer to Linux as GNU+Linux.

also keep in mind that noone is forcing you to use Steam. You still be able to use your librebooted thinkpad running an FSF approved distro.

also note that posting on Jow Forums requires completing a google-provided captcha, which is obviously non-free.

>When I was using passthrough
What happened then?

That's all great and stuff but until they start actually doing stuff I'm going to stay skeptical.

There is a german company called Softmaker, they offer an office suite for all platforms including Android.
Maybe it has not all the features M$ offers even if i never missed something.

Btw i use it in Windows, Linux and Android.

Don't you mean the year of the Linux what desktop?

They're terrified of Windows S mode. But good luck to them.

this.
I just installed notepad++ to see wtf this is talking about and I saw what I expected.
playonlinux has it's own repo of wine versions, which you can set versions per application.

This graph doesn't give enough information. Are they using DirectX on windows, or opengl?

DXVK.
Compile it from github or use AUR if you have an arch based distro.

Brace yourself:

Tekken 7 works.

AMD's free drivers still don't fully support Vega yet.

>implying that /v/ isn't the most cancerous board on Jow Forums

It's not, you're a newfag. Try s4s

Who has Vega in here? I should have bought 56 when it was $400 for that day or two, this is suffering.

dont you mean Jow Forums?

You mean /b/ 2.0?

is this xorg or wayland?
ubuntu or solus?

youtube.com/watch?v=fs4dqUqDNDg
I haven't personally gotten it to work.

Attached: ddf.jpg (557x605, 114K)

Apparenly he was annoyed that he couldn't get nier to run on Linux. Spite is a hell of a motivator.

Damn, the gynoids are too stronk.

Attached: __aegis_persona_and_persona_3__ef1632c844f95ee5aa83d2479dff24be.jpg (1253x1773, 544K)