/wt/ watch thread

I'm a grown man who spends all his salary on jewelry edition.

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/dU7iKNmQBIs

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

previous thread

Attached: finally_smart.png (932x944, 241K)

are you a bad enough dude to post your collection and objectively list the drawbacks and weaknesses of each watch?

Attached: 0pxkvecx2bp01.jpg (3264x1836, 674K)

Kew Observatory timing criteria

Attached: Sheet_001.jpg (2106x2572, 1.48M)

Attached: 1522762705275.jpg (1280x1100, 114K)

Thank you for your efforts.

please convince me not to spend half my savings on this

Attached: 1479877862.jpg (2686x2019, 2.21M)

Is ugly

I wholeheartedly disagree

rolex kew advertisement

Attached: rolex kew advertisement.jpg (758x1024, 231K)

just came in; strap ideas?

Attached: IMG_20180403_185252.jpg (3024x4032, 2.73M)

and an assortment of random timing results from 1896

Attached: Kew-8139abstract.jpg (600x840, 115K)

Attached: 1522762705275__01.jpg (1280x1100, 125K)

You can't afford it. You'll be able to afford it once you can buy it without thining about it.

Now get your Timex and move along if a Seamaster is "half your savings".
You work at Mcdondalds or something?

No I can save about $1500/month but I've only been working a short time

Put that money into a Roth IRA. You'll be much happier in the long run

look at a side view
way too chunky for me

>half my savings
Never a good idea

World is going to be dogshit by the time I'm older and I'm pursuing a rural life where (aside from watches) I don't need it. I already don't have any need for the money I have beyond saving for a house

What do you think is a good amount of your savings? 15%?

Savings should be a one way street (in) for the most part except for a car or house or something like that.

If you don't have enough in your checking for frivolous purchases like a watch then you can't afford it.
Please take a financial course or something.

Like less than 5%

I don't need a car and $5k is a fractional dent out of my future house of about $1.5m by the time I can afford a downpayment

>$5k is a fractional dent out of my future house of about $1.5m by the time I can afford a downpayment
wut

Why even write up this non-answer?

Do you even have an emergency fund

How is it a non answer? Dipping into savings for stupid purchases is retarded

look up Australian house prices
for what? I have $10k at the moment which I've saved since I started working by being very frugal. I have insurance for anything the state doesn't cover medically

K, how much of your chequeings account do you think then?
Actually, you've already proved yourself to be retarded, I'm not even interested in hearing your answer anymore.

6 months expenses. Jesus Christ. All you have is $10k total and you want to spend half of it on a watch. Are you 12 years old

>I have $10k at the moment
I don't think you realize how little that is

>its a financial advice episode

6 month expenses for what? If i lost this job I can get another the next day. It won't have so much extra to save but I can still live comfortably on minimum wage.
I do but its growing pretty quickly.

Buy the watch then. Buy two of them since you can obviously "afford" it with an endless supply of easy to come by jobs.
Why are you even asking for advice if you aren't going to take any of it?

Its a watch thread. I was really looking for criticism of the watch or alternative suggestions

Not him but that's vastly more than the median individual has. If he's young then who gives a fuuuuck.
Life is about more than just planning for 40 years into the future.

This also doesn't include super, our mandatory retirement fund.

spending half your savings on a watch seems aggressive.

I started collecting watches when my savings hit two years' salary. At this point my watch collection in total is about 4% of my savings. It sounds like at this point you don't really have much savings at all if it's just 10k, so I guess on the one hand, it's not really that much money, so sure, go ahead. But at that point you're basically saying that 10k isn't actually savings; it's spending money.

t. a registered investment advisor representative

>you're basically saying that 10k isn't actually savings; it's spending money.
This, thank you

And if you're unable to work? If you have the means to build a safety net, you should be doing that first, no matter what.

During those (I'm guessing 4/5 years) you were saving, what did you do with your free time? Did you go out, eat out, have drinks, go to events and so on? I'm asking because I live very frugal and my hobbies (aside from watches) have very few expenses. I surf on a board I got for $60, I hike with boots that cost $300 but have lasted and will continue to last for years. I don't go out or anything like that and I cook my own meals, half of that from my own veg garden. What I'm saying is that I understand I've barely started saving yet, but the "fund" for the watch could very easily come from otherwise disposable income over the next 6 months.
Then I get income support and disability allowance extra which is more than enough for me because its designed around obese people and their expenses.

It feels weird as fuck to not wear a watch. I keep checking my wrist and feel like a faggot for pulling out my phone and checking the time.

I had a life, but I was also saving aggressively. I would generally agree with - you should have long-term savings, which are different from short-term discretionary funds that you're choosing to let build up to fund a larger discretionary purchase. You need to decide which this 10k is. If it's spending money, fine, spend it. But if that means that you don't actually have any savings, I'm not particularly convinced about the frugality of your living.

Fair enough user. Perhaps I should open an account with a different bank for savings and put some income on a standing order then. As far as money for the watch goes, I had the idea of putting $50/week aside and just the longer I leave it the bigger my budget is for the watch. So after 1/2/3 years I can get something I'm certain of.

Good idea. Nothing wrong with a dedicated savings account for something that you really want that is separate from your main one.

As far as a long term savings like the above user mentioned, I'd recommend a certificate of deposit.
Basically a savings account that you can't touch without a penalty and a much higher interest rate for a fixed period. Something to think about.

Attached: 20171128_214028-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.82M)

toilet paper

Attached: 20170826_234453-3737x1687.jpg (3737x1687, 1.08M)

Attached: IMG_20160515_141142705_HDR.jpg (4160x3120, 3.32M)

Attached: 20170822_223929.jpg (3024x4032, 1001K)

Good lord

Attached: 1521385623465.webm (728x936, 2.97M)

It's a nice catalog

Attached: 20170822_224405.jpg (3024x4032, 1019K)

>mfw waiting for my lange catalog in the mail

Attached: 1459233303029.gif (340x340, 148K)

mine arrived today, addressed to me by my waifu, clara

Are you blind?

What’s the most entry level grammar of design Seiko?

I have a PO pre-ceramic at 42mm. It's awesome and flys under the radar so well. Bracelet or Nato it's awesome for a daily/beater.

I recall that thread a few weeks ago, I got pretty much everything I ordered except lange and omega.

Imagine getting a form letter signed by Clara rather than a handwritten note from Karol.

Attached: 20180403_234624-4032x3024.jpg (4032x3024, 1.39M)

u r 1 fucking cheeky kunt m8 i sware i am goin 2 wreck u i sware on me mums life

Shiny

Attached: IMG_5206.jpg (2448x3264, 1.58M)

I don't know what the cheapest option is, but every 4520-8000 or 45-7000 I find for sale is beat to shit or polished into a shapeless blob or expensive. So fuck off, look for something else.

I actually bought a King Quartz 0852-8025 with a nice edgy case for like $150 a few years ago, but I don't know what they're selling for now because vintage watch prices seem to only ever go higher and higher.

For new models it would be the angular SARX models that come on bracelets probably.

Are you looking on Yahoo! Japan Auctions?

I like it, sue me.

Attached: 20180403_192055.jpg (4032x3024, 2.4M)

ebay and yahoo.jp. I've never actually bought anything from yahoo.jp so I'm kind of skeptical and I'm not sure how the different proxy services compare.

That's all that matters, man.

Agreed my dude. It's a nice watch for what it is. Fuck ever paying full retail for one though.

People here like Zen Market, I used Buyee a few times. Buying off Y! Japan Auctions is mostly a matter of doing your research and not bidding more than you are willing to risk losing due to lack of buyer protection. It's worked out fine for me.

Attached: download (1).jpg (312x161, 10K)

Mine

Attached: 20180330_103109.jpg (2560x1440, 1.12M)

I don't really like it, but I like that you like it, user. :)

Oh jeez wowwee

Beautiful piece, pure class. Did you buy it in Perth, my fellow?

>can't sleep because awaiting QC of my black bay red rep

Attached: cry.jpg (3496x4024, 298K)

sorry I'm new to all this, what's a PO?

No

how long do catalogues take? I ordered one from omega yesterday and I'm not sure whether to expect a few days or a month

Planet Ocean.

Planet Ocean.

Planet ocean

I like the seamaster quartz.

Planet Ocean

Planet Ocean.

planet ocean

Planet ocean .

Disgusting pls kys yourself

Planet ocean .

thanks mates

No problem.

No problem.

Can't, bidding on slavshit.

no problem

No problem

No problem

No problem.

Can I get a watch collection I can enjoy while being a poorfag?

Here you go poorfriend

Attached: Box.jpg (2000x1500, 1.23M)

Sure, buy a couple of good reps. There's a superlist on RWG, most are around $300-$500.

I don't like quartz though
Reps seem pretty homosex

Slavshit is one choice.

Attached: IMG_20180403_192209__01.jpg (3456x3903, 3.54M)