Is neovim literally the future?

Is neovim literally the future?

Attached: [email protected] (360x104, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/316765/which-distributions-have-home-local-bin-in-path
kakoune.org/why-kakoune/why-kakoune.html
github.com/onivim/oni/wiki
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I did switch to it a while ago, but supposedly vim 8 is really good now.

No, the future is an abstract concept. Something can by definition not be literally it.

kakoune
also checked

I don't get it why you ever want to use that... Explain please.

if you're on linux, your distro's vim 8 is easily as good, i use stock vim 8 for terminal purposes with spacemacs for ide

past*

No, GNU emacs is both the past and the future. Resistance is futile. You too will be evaluated & applied.

the future is literally the future

theologists: 1
Jow Forums: 0

Yes, if the future is Emacs ten years ago because that's what Neovim is.

Reminder that vim is bloated and you should use nano.

Nah.

Attached: kakoune.png (262x262, 38K)

>ITT: students discussing student things

Remember that nano is bloated and you should use ed.

spacemacs > neovim

I really wish Emacs would stop being single core. That would make spacemacs perfect

People say this because vim8 added async plugin support (which neovim.had forever)
The truth is that most of the good plug-ins that used the async are still for neovim because vim8s implementation is pretty trash

no. its probably not gonna be installed default by any widely used operating system
if it becomes preinstalled by netbsd or openbsd then i could see it since i could see it as those operating systems are sometime used in embedded environments and if you can ssh and vi-like text editor embedded devs will maybe switch over

What's the best way to learn vim? I've been using atom and vs code for sometime now and I don't like the fact that the fucking fan starts to run if I have too many tabs open, any good book/tutorial?
P. S: I don't have vimtutor since I'm on windows.

> you have to learn a piano before you can even open a file
> can't even properly close or restart
> startup time is so big that it hurts
> muh pinky

No thanks.

>> you have to learn a piano before you can even open a file
It's literally two keystrokes, same as vim
>> can't even properly close or restart
you're a retard
>> startup time is so big that it hurts
Stock emacs is pretty fast. Bloating it up with addons is not an argument, you can cripple vim as well.
>> muh pinky
pussy

neovim isn't ready yet, still has quite a few more bugs over vim8

came here to post this

ls -s /bin/{vi,vim,neovin} ~/.local/bin/nano

Attached: 1461882149765s.png (160x113, 6K)

>~/.local/bin/nano
Kek. That doesn't work.

No the future is a semi-modal editor which key settings isn't a cargo cult.

Name an editor which forbids you changing the key settings.

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/316765/which-distributions-have-home-local-bin-in-path

Is this actually worth learning? I feel like I've finally grokked vim, seems frustrating to have to learn another editor straight away. I did take a look at
kakoune.org/why-kakoune/why-kakoune.html
and it does seem pretty neat.

>neovim

Attached: 1519528379828.png (1019x806, 1M)

The bigger problem is that ~ isn't absolute. So if you use another user then it won't work

>use another user
do you have something to hide

Attached: 1509087034308s.jpg (125x103, 3K)

IMO yes. You'll mostly be able to go back to Vim if necessary (not having access to Kak), but the selection grammar is a clear-and-away improvement over Vim. It's a REALLY smart redesign of the concept.

If only Sublime had a Kak mode.

Yeah looking through the examples it does seem really neat. Why would you want the mode in sublime - what does sublime offer that vim/kak doesn't?

A GUI?

that's all? Disappointing

Beside the point, user.

is it open source?

vim, now with more electron.
github.com/onivim/oni/wiki

Attached: 1517060789387.png (320x120, 14K)

I can't stop myself from reading "Neowin" every time I scroll past this thread in the catalog. Fuck