Thoughts on Rust? I've been meaning to buckle down and really learn C for awhile, but Redox OS turned me onto Rust...

Thoughts on Rust? I've been meaning to buckle down and really learn C for awhile, but Redox OS turned me onto Rust. I know it's far less practical atm, but it seems superior for much of what I wish to do. Have you played with it? Have you done any projects with it? I know some of strengths, but what are it's weaknesses?
>inb4 high level vs low level thread
>inb4 Redox OS discussion thread

Attached: IMG_20180404_030028.jpg (3120x4160, 2.5M)

I know for one that Rust shills are absolutely tiresome, and actually give this language bad press. About the language itself, I don't really see what Rust could bring to the table. Its supporters claim to bring memory safety to programs, but Rust's apparent verbosity and complexity won't help in solving problems more efficiently and comfortably. Also, bad programmers stay bad programmers, they will still make logical errors.

Found the ubuntu fag

You can only become proficient if you cut off your small dick and dilate the gaping wound 3 hours a day with a black dildo. If you can do this, you should start learning Rust.

People actually take hand-written notes on programming languages?

worst game ever

I picked it up pretty fast thanks to their informative docs and the idea of passing memory and traits is cool. But it is super frustrating in the beginning because you are constantly fighting the compiler. I'm still there though I heard it gets better. Too bad my work is a shitty Java shop.

Attached: 1492587836466.jpg (1000x1500, 1.5M)

Best of luck, user.

>paramters go within ()
>{} wraps the function body
>hello world

lol wtf

It doesnt even have classes yet. Its so far from mature it isnt even funny. Ask again in 20 years

as someone who has been a C++ developer for 15 years i don't really see the point, if you use all the built in data structures and ownership primitives then it's fine, but you might as well be writing java
meanwhile if you want to write your own data structures and ownership primitives you will just end up implementing it in unsafe rust and skipping all the fancy features completely, so then you might as well be writing C++ anyway, so why bother

Lol it's called memory retention tools to learn the syntax

why do you have a full-sized containter of salt on your fucking desk

It's not salt you autist it's where i keep my cocaine

true, but you're still a little biased

>might as well be writing java
Wat? Like actually what the fuck so you mean by this? Rust is a low-level language with compiled binaries. Java isn't even comparable.

read the post again, it's sufficiently low level if you write unsafe rust, but if all you do is write high-level code then who the fuck cares if you're using rust or go or java or whatever
also there have been ways to compile jvm bytecode to native binaries for quite a while

cut your nails you disgusting faggot

your penmanship is terrible

Inb4 shitpost on OP

>half the point of Rust is that high level code won't destroy your runtime speed
>"BUT HIGH LEVEL CODE DESTROYS YOUR RUNTIME SPEED"

Attached: steel is heavier than feathers.jpg (1280x720, 67K)

Are these notes serious?
Holy fuck hahaha.

>Rust sucks cuz i said so
>OPs a fag

Quality shit anons

I don't know why you're surprised about this.
C++ devs have been trying to switch C devs to C++ for decades. And it also goes the other way.
Everytime someone has a better way of doing things, people just refuse and keep using the old shit because reasons.

>but Redox OS turned me onto Rust
Stay away from programming.

Okay script fag have fun with your html "coding".

Attached: Corner cutting vs. Productivity.png (1063x3370, 810K)

On new languages? Yes, absolutely. Writing that shit down helps immensely for recall, look up any study on memory retention through muscle memory.

>everything in std is unsafe
>if you are unable to manage your own memory you dont deserve to touch compiled languages, only JITed shit
>the only reason Rust is so popular is because compiler is a guarantee that >>> everything will be alright

Or maybe your such a cuck that you need to have full control in everything. Maybe that's why here you are, 25 and single, living in your childhood home with you mother since your father left when you were 12. You run home everyday after you get off your minimum wage job of cleaning other peoples shit out of toilets, and attend your one community college class a quarter so your mom will still support. Nothing in your life works because you can't figure out why people don't just do what you want to. Why can't people see the rules you've arbitrarily come up with make sense, the way you see they do? So there you sit, masturbating to traps because you're gay (but are they???), calling unknown anons on 4chins soyboys, while you have to pull your shirt down in the back everytime you sit down to make sure your crack doesn't get exposed.

You hate rust because you have to play by it's rules. You think writing in C makes you a man, a language that is decades old, because after squirming through error after error and giving up and scrapping multiple projects, when you finally get one to work, you feel accomplished. Never mind it's terribly slow runtime. Never mind it's lines and lines of wasted code. You're existence is so pitiful that this gives you purpose to keep going.

Have fun masturbating to men with boobs and furries user.

Seems like has never learned a language other than pearl. At least not on his own.

Why would you want to memorize syntax? I'd get it if OP was writing down notes on how the borrow checker works or whatever, but "fn defines a function"?

You expect people to read all that?
Anyway, C is for men

you don't understand how code works, having a large number of abstractions is what kills your runtime speed, it doesn't matter what language it is, if you try to pass around shit like Vector everywhere then yes you will get bad performance

Lisp is for men. C is for soyboys who can only do what everyone else does.

you have horrible handwriting

it leaks memory
you can't do shit unless you unsafe
>unsafe is regular mode in other languages
you can get a job in other languages

I mean, really, if you want to waste a year or two learning an esoteric language that will never pay your bills, why not learn something revolutionary? Like Idris with dependent types and proof checking. Write the first formally verified crypto or something.

>RustFags believe C/C++,Go,Java,Python/Ruby are the same group programming.

>C/C++ want massive interOp CPUs,OS,Hardware, low level API.
>Java want GC and builds massive services interconnect.
>Go easy language,CSP concurrency build, light GC, backend language.
>Python/Ruby want easy script language.

Thanks user

It's almost like each language is well suited for certain tasks....

>low-level

are you actually serious?
rust only compiles to LLVM IR
it doesn't even its own compile to machine lang
jvm JIT compiles to machine
jvm has graal and truffle
jvm can run LLVM IR with sulong

therefore, rust is not low level
it's just another jvm language now
your shitty 'low-level' 'systems programming' language has been assimilated by the superior Java language

Is Rust suited to any?

Seems perfect for a micro kernel and a unix shell. Other than that yeah I think you're right.

>hurr everyone learns languages the same as me
if you were talking about actual natural languages like Japanese/Chinese/Korean, you might have a point. But all you have to do for programming languages is just type out and run the code you're reading yourself, instead of copy/pasting like a brainlet.

I'm aware that learning is enhanced a bit by writing things out by hand, but considering that you should be regularly running code to get feedback from the compiler/interpreter anyway, it just seems like overkill. I don't think I've taken handwritten notes while programming learning a language since I was a freshman in college, and I've learned a shit ton of languages since then.

To each their own user. For myself, having no formal training and only knowing a few languages, I like handwriting everything when I'm learning to better remember stuff, even the simple things like fn.

That's for the passwords

Nigger are you serious right now? Rust produces native binaries. rustc is an LLVM frontend that talks to an LLVM backend.

Memory safe multithreaded native code, like browser rendering engines. That's why it exists after all. That also makes it a good systems programming language - Redox has progressed far faster than Genode did at the beginning, and Genode wasn't even writing their own kernel at first.

fpbp
a good language would be like C but with less boilerplate, not like C++ with more