/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous Thread:
>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: karlie_kloss_general.png (1142x636, 258K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/webpack/webpack-dev-server/pull/825
rtmccormick.com/2015/11/21/connect-to-ms-access-database-with-javascript-hta-app/
abdulrehmanafridi.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/connect-ms-access-database-using-javascript/
chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22139
daylerees.github.io/
github.com/nodejs/node/issues/12115
google.com/search?q=shiba inu&tbm=isch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

screams

I'm having a tought time deciding what software I need to build a certain app. I Need to be communicating with external databases, also propbably create a local database. Need to create a regular user interface (which should work well from any device) and an admin interface. The app will need to perform a lot of calculations (which I suppose will be done from the server, not sure) to for optimization.

Is Node.js, React and MongoDB/MySQL a good combination or am I looking at this the wrong way?

>Is Node.js, React and MongoDB/MySQL a good combination
Yes.

Does anyone know where i could find the neopets html? I want to make a similar website, but im not sure where to start with the website layout.

>The app will need to perform a lot of calculations
Can you be more specific about this?
You can scale it across multiple cores of course, but it's usual strong point is IO heavy apps and less so pure computational performance.

It's an app where you can apply for vacation. Basically you have a calendar and according to certain predefined parameters, there's a different likelihood of you getting your vacation. These parameters are dynamic and change over time however. Typical example would be if many people apply during a certain period, then the likelihood would decrease. Does this happen at the back end or at the front end?

yeah sounds like Node is a good fit then.
>Does this happen at the back end or at the front end?
Don't know how the process exactly works, but almost certainly backend, since you have many variables and information, that only the server knows about.
So people can apply in the app, which sends the request to the backend, which uses all the information it has to check for availability and then sends the answer of success or failure back to the client app.

>if many people apply during a certain period, then the likelihood would decrease.
like a lottery or first come - first serve ?

>first come - first serve
How soon you apply is only one parameter, others would be how long you have worked for the company as well as your previous vacation history. Such as, if you have gotten less attractive dates before, you will be bumped up in the queue next time you apply.

Simple webpack project with devServer
How can I make
npm run dev launch a different browser than the system default?

I tried setting devServer: { ..., open: "chromium" } to no avail

npm 5.8.0

Man, Neopets. I remember that shit. Are you wanting the HTML as it is today or as it was back in 2001?

do other browsers like "Firefox" work for you in that option?

the NPM version should be irrelevant for that.

The feature has been merged in late 2017
github.com/webpack/webpack-dev-server/pull/825

My webpack-dev-server.js indeed contains:
open: {
type: 'string',
describe: 'Open the default browser, or optionally specify a browser name'
},

>do other browsers like "Firefox" work for you in that option?
It seems to disregard any setting and always open my default browser (firefox)

You should be able to do that with concurrently

>work in a shitty "IT" position which is basically just help desk and not what I signed on for
>no other prospects in this town
>wife and kid
>28
Is it too late for me? I understand the concepts of programming as I did that in college and poked around making small stuff on my own as a hobby for years before that. I'm just really don't enjoy web design, but like everything else about it.

I like following Coding tech and some other web dev related channels and sites but damn they release a bunch of interesting videos in one day and now I have a huge backlog of watch later videos that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to watch. Same thing with Medium articles that I told myself that I would read later.
How do you keep up with web dev? There are so many things to learn and so little time...

My plan is to develop something that people will use and I can profit from independently. For example a classifieds site for your region where people can make posts and pay a bit of money to sticky their posts for a week or so. Or just something which you can mine as data for advertisers who pay big bucks. Just keep making stuff and if you want to make a lot of money then think about who would pay a lot of money and how to make them pay a lot of money to you.

easiest way to make a simple website with some info about a town and pictures? it's not meant to be updated often like a blog so i don't think wordpress would do
i know javascript but never touched css, only made nodejs stuff

How can you know JavaScript and node.js but have never touched CSS? I thought every webdev started with HTML first, then CSS, then JavaScript. Since they all link together and help you understand basic web developments concepts...

Yeah I actually had the same idea about the local classifieds but it was going to pull from Facebook posts and their api has been down for a while so I'm kind of fucked on that until its back. And there's lots of businesses that could really use a site that looks like it was made in this decade. I just gotta get hustlin' but it's hard when the big selling point is how the site looks, and its the least enjoyable aspect to me.

>selling user data
Calm down Mr Zuckerberg

when is hosting websites at home a valid option?

"Oh boo hoo, people don't like me sharing their private information with advertisement agencies and huge businesses" - me, 5 years from now

Attached: Crying_Over_Money.jpg (1280x853, 45K)

I want to learn webdev to be wagecuk. I have a comp.sci degree but never got into web (did Unity/Android mostly). Is Java Spring a good idea? Future proof? Any other suggestions?

ok i exaggerated, the point is i haven't touched plain css or html in years and everything is done with framework nowadays anyway but i don't know what's the best option for a website as simple as mine, i never done any frontend

look into the market demand close to where you live, or search top 10 webdev languages in google

No.

I got my first dev job at 28. Doubled my salary in less than a year. I almost increased it to max salary but ended up staying because it's comfy here. I'm 29 now

But it's potentially illegal and if caught you will be fined way more than you can possibly ever gain from it.

Did you just get into web dev because you saw it in the news recently that sites can sell data or something?

:)

Not if users agree to a TaC notice telling them their data will be shared.

And no, I've been doing web dev for almost a year now and love it all. But I do want to make a lot of money as well.

The normal answer is "plain HTML+CSS".
JS frontend frameworks are incredibly useful, but you should have a minimum justifiable use case at least. (Maybe an SPA with Vues or Reacts router module?)

Another good option would be a static site generator, if your site consists of multiple pages and you mainly want it hosted statically without needing any kind of backend or database.

There are even combinations of the 2, where you use the JS framework and its components for templating and then build everything into a static site.

It's pretty hard to make a startup that will bring in enough users while being pro-consumer, let alone while being anti-consumer and selling their data.

Good luck I guess, I'd recommend greasy mobile apps aimed at dumb kids.

Either would be fine, and yeah I was a piece of shit and loves neopets when i was a kid, so i was thinking of making a new more developed website inspired by it.

Look into Jekyll

Where my PHP devs at?

Is there any service that allows one to 'click' together a website, and then get static html for that?

So no wordpress or anything

Wix

Anyone have any tips for a complete beginner how to fetch data from spring backend with reactJS and then do something with it? I've constructed a small component in react and tried fetch()-ing it. But I have literally no idea how to display the information I supposedly got from the fetch. As in i've completed the method or so I think, but I can't seem to display it anywhere else in the application. Name of this component is ContactList.js, so if I try to add it to another component where I could read it with or with . It won't let me post that.

i guess if it's illegal and no platform wants to host your content and you're getting around your isp or whatever

working

pinegrow

India

best mobile simulator? I want something that will emulate the actual phone system as closely as possible. example - I want to test my mobile site on chrome on an apple phone with

Can we all just hold hands, sing Kumbaya and promise never to release another fucking JavaScript framework ever again

browser stack?

count me in
please someone stop this JS madness

Can i make a website for free?

pai me 30,000 rupees kind sir, thank

i mean if you want as closely as possible you're probably going to have to look into like Saucelabs

new frameworks can come out whenever they want as they are usually created to solve a problem the creator is having
if you aren't having that problem, no need to deal with the framework, simple af
if you can't fundamentally understand this, you probably shouldn't be in web dev

>new frameworks can come out whenever they want as they are usually created to solve a problem the creator is having
ok but I would still like to hold hands with somebody, I have no real friends

You mean without a domain?

To be honest i dont want a layout exactly like neopets, i just want a basic hmtl that is in the style of the pet/avatar sim sites

I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask, but how the fuck do I create a page to use an Access database locally?

I have an Access database ready, but I want o open it like a webpage and preferably customize it with HTML/CSS.

I have like 5 computers connected through a network which I didn't set up and I want them all to use from the same database and I'd like to make this simple and user friendly. I'm looking online for solutions via Sharepoint and SQL but I'm new as fuck to this and instructions start to not make sense, or I have to install and set up a lot of things I don't understand, and so as it is I can't set up and use a server. How is there not a simple way to just upload the database somewhere and give it a webpage?

Are there alternatives? What do I do? Where do I go to learn this?
Budget is zero.

Thank you

Attached: 1513519401222.jpg (599x775, 88K)

Here

gave you googled your problem?

rtmccormick.com/2015/11/21/connect-to-ms-access-database-with-javascript-hta-app/

abdulrehmanafridi.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/connect-ms-access-database-using-javascript/

maybe this can help

chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22139

stop treating this thread as your local search engine you fucking mongs

i feel sad for them so i reply :^(

can you fix my computer?

wahts a gombuter?

which one of these color schemes is your favorite?

daylerees.github.io/

Attached: 1522864110355s.jpg (210x240, 5K)

yes sir, Microsoft here, please sir kindly provide the following:
- bank account and password

>you can just place the navbar into react router and add a container around the other stuff right there

badass dude

Attached: uhahaiuhui.jpg (791x415, 51K)

I know, right? I love react.

If I had to pick, then Darkside I guess.
Otherwise pic related

Attached: Atom_One_Dark.png (1078x650, 90K)

That's a good architecture, the calculations should be in node on the server end

Yes, you can get a free domain name from Freenom, for certain top level domains e.g. .tk, .ml. Beware though that some spam filters might flag those as sketchy urls if you post them anywhere. And registering a real domain name with .com or something is only $10-12 per year, so that part is really not that expensive and probably worth it.

Anyway, you can host a static site for free on Github pages, google a tutorial on that. If you need a dynamic site, I think Heroku still has a free option to get started, but I'm not sure what the process is for hooking a real domain is up to that and they might make you pay.

With the extra info I'm thinking a relational db will be much more efficient so you could use Django rest for the backend to make your life easier and also avoid dependency hell

Why would you use MySQL instead of Postgres? MongoDB people are boasting improved reliability every other patch, which should tell you that their reliability is shit. Both products are a dumpster fire.

I guess you can use Node.js if you don't know anything but js. Otherwise I'd use a JVM backend, node.js really isn't mature.

>node.js really isn't mature.
how many replies did you count on getting with that shitpost?

>p...please use ruby

Attached: ror.jpg (750x382, 132K)

Let me give you an example of how using a frontend script language for a backend is a terrible idea. Javascript numbers are 64-bit floating point (doubles). File handlers (inode) are 64-bit integer. Not all 64 bit integers are representable with 64 bit floating point. For instance as far as node.js is concerned file handlers 9851624185071827, 9851624185071828, 9851624185071829 are file handler 9851624185071828. You get the nearest number. The result is that in Node.js you can open two files and when you write into them you are writing to same inode, which means you are writing into one file. Fixing this is very non-trivial hence there an open bug for this that is one year old:

github.com/nodejs/node/issues/12115

All in all, for backend you should use languages designed by people who understand why different number types exist.

PHP oder node.js mein Kameraden?

i've seen this argument before here on Jow Forums somewhere

nice

Is Elm a meme or should I learn it?

Attached: 1450062839014.jpg (1024x800, 91K)

I want to make a site where people can write their own choose-your-own-adventure stories with splitting paths. Is Redis best for this, /wdg/?

I'm not new to application development and have used C# for a couple years to make hobbyist applications and games. I want to make a website for myself that I can use as a portfolio/journal and as a tool for my own organization and self study. I don't think anything I'll be doing will be very complicated. I mainly just have questions regarding how I actually host a website that I can access remotely on other devices. Do I have to find a company to rent a website from and then I can write the code for the website from that point on? How do I submit the code to the website?

I've only ever done programming where I write code and them compile it, except for one scripting language that ran local files in my browser to display text like a help document. I have a feeling I could just make a file called index.html and run that in my browser but that would just be a locally hosted "webpage" file.

how come various large companies are using Node in production then?

To host a website online, you usually either get shared hosting or rent a VPS.
Shared hosting manages a lot of stuff for you, while with a VPS you have a lot more control and can use it however you want with full access to the virtualized machine.

If all your assets are static, then you can even host your site for free.
Examples of sites that offer free static hosting are GitHub, GitLab, Netlify, Surge.sh.
("static" meaning, that all you have are plain files, HTML, CSS, JS, images, etc., without the need for an actual backend or database)

The domain you best buy separately.
Namecheap and Gandi are popular choices among others.
Then you just point the domain to your shared hosting server or VPS and people visiting that domain will be directed to the correct place.

>How do I submit the code to the website?
Also many options.
In your case the absolute simplest option would be to just upload the files via FTP.

redux is so confusing

Attached: awoooooooooooo.jpg (1733x2000, 266K)

why are you learning it tho?

I don't know, it's an older course before the latest react global state thing was introduced, but I don't know enough about either of those things to know if the end product can be done without redux

Alright thank you for your post. I looked up a lot of the terms you've mentioned and I think I understand a lot better how this process actually works. It seems like while I'm actually building the basics and learning html to make my website that I can just use my local browser and a file structure to do that. When I'm ready I can always buy a domain name and then have my site hosted relatively cheaply. Honestly I think having a personal website is probably a great way at keeping focused during your daily life because you know you have sections of stuff you want to do and adding "content" to those sections is a great way at keeping yourself productive as opposed to aimlessly wasting time. I'm not saying anyone here explicitly has anything worthy of attracting mass attention but being able to point someone directly to your own website instead of just a random social media page is probably great for showing that you can be productive and organized and that you take yourself and your thoughts seriously enough to have public documentation.

>windows issue
lul

retard alert

Halflife and Arstotzka are pretty neato.

I want to add a search box for Google Images to my home page, but I can't figure out the form URL. Anyone know what it is?

renpy and twine already exist
what can you do better

if you dont know why you're learning it you wont have the motivation to actually figure what the fuck is going on

Serious question:

do you google your problem before posting here?

Just from examining a url and deleting the parts that seemed like unnecessary tracking tokens or whatever:
google.com/search?q=shiba inu&tbm=isch

The "tbm=isch" part seems to be the key. Not sure what "tbm" means, but I assume "isch" is short for "image search"

How would I add the "&tbm=isch" automatically after getting the search term?

>renpy and twine already exist\nwhat can you do better
What I can do better is make my own

uh... I'm assuming you're building the url, so you do "google.com/search?q=" + encodedSearchTerm + "&tbm=isch"

Are you not building the url from what the user types in? When you say a search box for google images, what are you trying to accomplish/allow the user to do?

What is the best minimalist JS MVC framework?

I'm not really learning redux, it's just sort of there..I don't really know what it's purpose even is, it's just sort of adding steps for no reason so far.

I hope it dies and people make guides for the new way of handling global state because that seems way simpler

I don't understand how to write that in html. Specifically what to put in the element to make it add the "&tbm=isch" after the text input from the user.

Take note of the attributes I am including, they are the ones which bring you what you desire.

Submit

So you don't understand what's going on or why you're using it but you still hope it dies.

webdev in 2018 everybody, retards retarding

define MVC

Most
Value
Cock

I should have said I don't know what it's purpose is in my code specifically, I know why it exists but I don't know why I'm using it in the course yet. So far everything I've used it for could be solved without using it, but it's just adding so many extra confusing steps.

I hope it dies because it's overly complicated and convoluted to solve a very simple problem.