Why doesn't Jow Forums just use ShutUp10?

Instead of trying to hack together a soon-to-be-unsupported OS, just change some registry entries with this tool made by a Microsoft Partner.

Windows 10 without the spying: what could be better?

Attached: bnr-bg-shutup10.png (646x415, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/
youtu.be/eoSg3fSB7PA
anandtech.com/show/12068/intel-to-remove-bios-support-from-uefi-by-2020
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-8.1-and-8/hh824898(v=win.10)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Here's a better question: why doesn't Jow Forums just use Windows 7?

>trying to hack together a soon-to-be-unsupported OS

It's a placebo that barely does anything
You have to use Windows 7 if you want a spyware-free Windows

wsl

>Windows 10 without the spying: what could be better?
Truth.
forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/
youtu.be/eoSg3fSB7PA
There are no tests for your placebo tool though.

>trying to hack together a soon-to-be-unsupported OS
Unsupported by what? A failure that is Directx12? Or supposed security updates which couldn't have been proven to achieve anything, since it's a proprietary operating system?

why would Jow Forums use windows? wrong board m8

>It's a placebo that barely does anything
Right, I'll believe you instead of my testing results.
>what are packet sniffers

>what are packet sniffers
Tools which exist, obviously. Feel free to use one and post the results after using your "anti-telemetry" software of choice.

There are are so many wrongs in this post, but
>made by Microsoft Partner
DUDE WEED LMAO

Unsupported by new hardware, first lacking drivers (already true) and then not booting at all. Later, most software will drop support too.

And of course security updates, but since you don't care about those...

Why use an unreliable 3rd party tool that only changes a few registry entries made by a Microsoft Partner when you could use an operating system designed for the desktop that can be configured entirely as you wish with 2 years of support remaining made by Microsoft itself?

Attached: 1463414858859.png (784x720, 972K)

The main point is the company being an MP means the tool is extremely unlikely to fuck things up by changing anything other than registry settings. Even FLOSS tools come with that risk.

>with 2 years of support remaining
Why did you post a question you already knew the answer to?

It's slower

Because I don't care. The only thing I did to my windows 10 install was "opt out" of their telemetry and turn off the auto-reboot. That's it. I just want everything to work and not fight my own OS to get basic functionality after using some tool that breaks/alters windows.

is it worth getting 10 pro/corporate then

Anything closed-source is a botnet.
Even opensource is a botnet
Only if you write an OS from scratch it is not a bot net

>Instead of trying to hack together a soon-to-be-unsupported OS
Linus give up of linux?
>just change some registry entries with this tool made by a Microsoft Partner.
I should not trust in M$ but should trust in their close friends!?!
Linux.

Sources, sources, sources.

Erotic Japanese games.

This but not as a lie.

>my os will magically stop working after x years
are you fucking retarded

Here. As relevant as your post is.

Attached: bEjriFT.jpg (4529x3000, 2.88M)

That thumbnail looks like useless SDL code written by your average Jow Forums sepples code monkey.

He's not wrong, though.

Or just don't use Windows.

Installing some shitty malware isn't going to fix Microsoft spying on your ass.

Honest question, if I don't live on burgerland and my government doesn't give a fuck about censorship, should I care about Microsoft spying on me?

That's probably something you need to do your own critical thinking on. We don't know where you live or what your social/political situation is.

>g- guys it really works, believe me, i tested it!!!! please believe me

Yes.
Short version of things are: smaller countries (and especially shithole countries) could have a change in their laws (like the UK or Canada did) and Microsoft or whoever could end up selling them data, yours included, to help in whatever
Being spied on is never a good thing, and being spied on by a neighbour that can tell on your parents is arguably worse

Yes you should.

1: They're making money out of knowing your habits and behaviour and selling it. Wether you are okay with that might be tied to wether you are okay with seeing a site's ads or letting it run a miner. You might be okay with some site you like and with decent data protection policies and bothered to ask before using your data, and not okay at all with "discontinue using this site if you don't agree" clickbait sites.

2: They're using that info to "improve" their services, but aren't necessarily doing a good job of it and aren't necessarily as flexible as you are. I'm tired as fuck of trying to get sauce for an image and getting results tailored to my geographic location when I know the source is not tied to my location at all. This shit might work for normies, but it doesn't for me.

3: They're all hoarding data, so your data is as secure as the weakest organization that holds it. If anyone, now or in the future, tries to harm you in some way, they'll just have to attack this weak link. Harm can range from Jow Forums paranoia governement censorship stuff to social engineering based crime. Truth is, there's no way to predict where the blows will come from, nor in what shape, yet this data allows said blows to have an higher flexibility. Wether you are that juicy and vulnerable a target is another matter of course.

My main reason right now is nº 2.
I'm guessing you're not all that concerned for nº 3, but you should still give all three some thought every now and then.

Changing registry settings that were specifically put there by Microsoft for tools like this to use literally can't break anything by definition, user.

No. I've used Windows 10 Home (upgrade and later OEM) since it came out, with this of course.

It's nice to have a legit copy on every PC for once.

but I do use ShutUp10

Has that stupid bug with edge browser that sends your full file path rather than just file name when you upload a file been fixed yet?

There already aren't official drivers for Kaby Lake/Ryzen, and hopefully I don't need to spoonfeed you with sources for that.

As for not booting at all, it's coming in 2020:
anandtech.com/show/12068/intel-to-remove-bios-support-from-uefi-by-2020
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-8.1-and-8/hh824898(v=win.10)

The software thing is simply based on what happened with previous versions of Windows. Try finding a current browser that works on XP after this year, for example - and XP is still widely used in some places.

AFAIK it doesn't actually send the path, but only the file itself. It simply displays the entire path for convenience (though it often leads to the actual filename being cut off).

>AFAIK it doesn't actually send the path, but only the file itself.
You got a citation on that because it seems so unconventional for microsoft to do that when other browsers don't

Windows XP and beyond IS spyware you dingus

>You got a citation on that
No, I'm basing it on how HTML forms work. I don't even think it's possible for a browser to submit the path OR the filename according to the actual spec

>I don't even think it's possible for a browser to submit the path OR the filename according to the actual spec
What do you mean? Isn't the website in question you're submitting to supposed to know what the filename is?

Why is it that when I upload a file on Jow Forums it changes it to the full filepath rather than the name I wanted?

Sorry, I should have specified this: the ORIGINAL filename. Obviously, some name is submitted, but it isn't passed directly from the system. Meaning that even if the full path is displayed, it's irrelevant

Okay, but if I were to upload a file with edge to Jow Forums it will show the entire filepath as the filename

>claims it's not spyware
>not completely open source

Attached: 1522780700224.jpg (500x375, 28K)

It shows it to YOU. Not to the entire world of Jow Forums, because it never actually gets submitted.

as usual a salient post goes unnoticed in favor of more shitposting.

DestroyWindowsSpying is better and is Open Source.

Not unless you consider open source inherently better.

>open source

Attached: 1339550542691.jpg (1024x768, 294K)

>Why yes of course i decide to use a particular piece of software based solely on whether or not i can get some callcenter poojeet on the phone to explain me its basic functions

Attached: 1521686091247.jpg (583x532, 103K)

It's been 4 hours, give the man some time.

Support as in drivers, third-party software, and of course security updates. Not technical support from Microsoft.

>what could be better?
Windows 7.

Just find the enterprise .iso from reddit, and then use “Microsoft Toolkit” to activate it.

You can’t use the enterprise evaluation since it will die after 30 days, and it’s not meant to be activated ever.

After testing a few file uploads under edge and internet explorer you're right. I might see the full file path but the end result is that Jow Forums will only see what the filename is

Attached: neat.png (600x486, 375K)

>defends windows 10
>not liking RMS
Poo in the loo detected.
Sage in all fields

Attached: TGYC0Q2.jpg (480x451, 59K)

You'd think that in 2018 we had at least one good OS.
But no, we have one that is broken beyond repair and spies on you constantly, one that is locked down to specific hardware and only has the fact that Adobe CC works on it going for it and one that could potentially be very good but, because there is a lot less official software support for it, will most likely never get a lot of usage on the mainstream desktop market.

where did it all go so fucking wrong

Attached: 1469220359246.png (372x576, 372K)

Or... you could keep your legal copy of 10 Home, that just about every semi-modern PC has without resorting to such measures, and simply use this tool to disable the nasty bits. Quite a hard choice.

Lack of third-party software support is far from the worst thing wrong with Linux. It's not even top 10.

You'd have a better argument with HW/drivers.

>Replying to a thread stating that you've reported or "saged" it, or another post, is also not allowed.

Well, at least you only said it *could* be better... I guess that's a start.

Open source specs so we can write drivers ourselves when

Attached: linux is garbage.png (1600x3592, 843K)

because it does not actually do anything

As proprietary shit like flash and silverlight die you'll see linux be used more. 2020 is the year of desktop linux calling it now

You should've taken a screencap of Major Linux Problems on the Desktop (which can't be linked here for some reason), you dumbass. What a waste of effort.

These men should be mods

Attached: win7bros.png (1257x754, 221K)

>Windows 7
>ClearType off
>some sort of custom Jow Forums bullshit
I am so glad you don't get to choose mods here...

Not true. Microsoft isn't very thorough in their testing anymore and I've run into unexpected buggy behavior just by changing settings that are right in the open in the settings menus. W10 has to be the worst OS they've ever made.

>Hates the best Windows
>Can't tell when Cleartype is turned on
>Doesn't know what Dollchan is

You're an actual mod on Jow Forums, aren't you?

Attached: index.jpg (1200x1159, 100K)

Bugs happen. I'm talking expected behavior only.

>windows 7
>spyware-free

Attached: lol-9.jpg (600x500, 254K)

>413 Chicken Nuggets
That's not possible. Not even for an American Clapper is that possible.

That's a nice wallpaper.

Been telling people to use this non-stop.

>It's not as safe as [input any linux distro] •

That's not the point.
People hate Windows 10 mostly for the auto update, this program fixes that in four clicks+restart
It also disables Cortana, OneDrive, a bunch of telemetry that isn't needed (I didn't say disables ALL telemetry).
It advertise itself as a program that makes Windows 10 shut up about things and it does just that. Very well at that as well.

It may have government backdoors but by default Windows 7 doesn't transmit any data

OneDrive is actually useful for some people, though. Cortana... not so much.

I disabled OneDrive because I don't use it, and because OneDrive scans your whole HDD/SSD so if you're afraid of telemetry but use OneDrive, it's like mounting a big blast door to prevent people breaking in from your front door while leaving your porch door in the kitchen opened at night.

>using Windows

Attached: Stallman.png (264x338, 219K)

>OneDrive scans your whole HDD/SSD
[citation needed]

>>OneDrive doesn't scan your whole HDD/SSD
>[citation needed]

Burden of proof, buddy.

Burden of stop being so entitled, buddy.
Do it yourself.

>Winbackdoor 10 has a system that uploads your files called OneDrive
>They totally don't scan my drive, I'm certain Microsoft would never spy on me ever, totally.

>Winbackdoor 10
I don't recall installing anything by that name.

>implying MS Partner is a stamp of approval

Anyone can shit out a basic program in Visual Studio in an hour and call themselves MS Partner.

Has no merit to it and is just used to scam normies and skeletons for their shekels by "updating" their drivers.

>Anyone can shit out a basic program in Visual Studio in an hour and call themselves MS Partner.
Got a source on that?

The point is stamping the MS Partner logo on your already sketchy as fuck website doesn't make you an MS Partner.

Pajeet tech scammers call themselves MS Partners all the time.

Still waiting for that source...

BTW this company has existed since the 90s, it's 100% legit.

Thin PC is eol is 2021, and it's a Win7 variant (actually WES7), so MS already have plans to extend support past 2020.

It's not something sourceable, you twat. I can pick up a guitar, bang my head against the strings and claim I am a part of Radiohead. Exact same metaphor.

One more year of security updates means jack shit, especially when new hardware that doesn't support booting 7 at all should already be out in 2020. Plus normies won't bother making it work.

>metaphor
Yeah... you're retarded. No wonder.

>it took two replies for me to understand
>but ur the rarted tho

well sure, you'll suffer if you want the latest hardware but this is good news for people on older stuff at least (posready 2009 is still good for games)

Again, one extra year isn't going to make any real difference there. Funny that you mention POS '09: the double whammy of that and the 7 codebase going within 2 years of each other is going to obliterate the laggard, anti-10 market.

So does it work or not?

It does. I've used it since the very first version in August 2015.

>drivers
What?
>third party software
What?
>and of course security update
You weren't the brightest in your class, right?
Inb4 I was only pretending