/wt/ - Watch Thread: Tudor Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=508-rmdY4jQ
youtube.com/watch?v=q8siXmlwPzI
youtube.com/watch?v=hm2e8Lgeg28

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

previous thread:

Attached: tudor.jpg (1600x1176, 539K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com.au/itm/Stainless-Steel-Repair-Tool-Watch-Band-Strap-Replacement-Spring-Bar-Link-Remover/282643868357?hash=item41cee32ac5:g:6y4AAOSw8XBZsmAy
reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/89w2z5/christopher_ward_my_daniel_wellington_ripoff/
businessinsider.com/china-bridge-collapses-2012-8
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Rate

Attached: casioknob.png (864x1478, 857K)

Is it worth paying more for a spring bar tool, or does the quality not differ much?

For a spring bar tool?
Fuck no, get the cheapest you find or use a knife.

>dial novel
and
>:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

"How to ruin a good thing", the watch.

Start buying fake watches.

Attached: 2018-#2.webm (720x1280, 1.53M)

It does vary, at least get one with removable tips. The prongs are very easy to break on cheaper tools.

ebay.com.au/itm/Stainless-Steel-Repair-Tool-Watch-Band-Strap-Replacement-Spring-Bar-Link-Remover/282643868357?hash=item41cee32ac5:g:6y4AAOSw8XBZsmAy

A buck from China, that's me sorted then.

This person posts here.

Attached: 3Lv3A1x.jpg (4032x3024, 1.18M)

Needs more windyknobs

Attached: windyknob.png (445x629, 260K)

the Australian, right

Imagine spending this much on watches instead of a gym membership

Tangentially related but I wonder how their quality stacks against homage watches such as the ones made by Steinhart?

he has the money for a home gym it looks like

SHIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Buy a midrange one, the cheap chinkshit will be useless.

Attached: IMG_20180320_111919_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.25M)

Attached: brain.jpg (640x1039, 180K)

Aye cheers. I can get a Bergeon for about $30 dollarydoos, I'll go for that.

Literally just buy a 1000m Tuna, fatso.

>Bergeon
>$30
Jesus, I said midrange.

Very excited for it to arrive

Attached: 01_F45.jpg (1265x918, 351K)

How hard would it be to source a ratchet wheel for pic related, and have it fitted?

Attached: girard-perregaux-steel.gif (600x450, 187K)

Don't be like you were last time, bullying him till he leaves.
Be adults and encourage him to better himself.
And more important, talk watches, not everyone's personal attributes.

Attached: 123123.png (1133x1000, 703K)

Got my Ray II + a strapcode president-style bracelet on the way, super excited. Hope it gets here early next week.

Attached: 2017-07-31-095206.jpg (2612x3373, 741K)

I'll do it for 50 bucks + the cost of the wheel.

I think normal steel Grand Quartz models were in the ¥100,000 range in the 70s which puts it at about $2000 in today's money. If anyone has more exact information on pricing I would be curious to know.

>Be adults and encourage him to better himself.

Hey you. Stop being fat.

Don't know, I'd guess worse, guess I'll find out when I see it in person.

I only bought it for the memes so I won't be too distraught if it's dogshit.

Attached: CO#2018-720_2.webm (1280x720, 2.8M)

Should I buy blue one?

Attached: TAG-Heuer-Aquaracer_WAY2111-WAY2112-WAY2113.jpg (1280x759, 169K)

Y-you see that they are all TAG fucking HEUR?

You got a movement shot with the caseback off?

My minute hand is lose and rolls around on a cheapish diver I have. If I get it repaired at a local watch repair, will I say goodbye to any change of water resistance?

Ask them to pressure test it

my dad really likes his formula one

Not exactly amazing quality.

Attached: YsNpCM.jpg (1510x1132, 372K)

Kill yourself

Spoil yourself, you deserve it. Wear it in good health.

Great, is this generally extra? If it costs too much I'm better off buying a new watch, it's just a cheap Russian diver

>Etachoc

Attached: laughing_fivehead.gif (1336x1358, 2.34M)

Don't laugh at premium quality Chinese craftsmanship.

Attached: dbUIpL.jpg (1298x974, 257K)

Can someone explain to a casual watch admirer what an Eta movement is and why they're looked down upon

What skilled craftsmanship, is it completely handmande by man?

>Can someone explain to a casual watch admirer what an Eta movement
A type of Swiss movement that Chinks copy.

>and why they're looked down upon
It isn't, people just don't like it when expensive watches use an off the shelf movement. Bit like people whine about the new Ford GT having an engine out of the F150 Raptor, and why Ferrari keep it extremely quiet that they gave their V8 to Alfa to cut two cylinders off and use as a V6.

Yes, Wang Jing worked for hundreds of hours to create it, cut the whole thing out by hand with only rocks and a chisel.

and got paid 0.03 cents to do it

There is nothing wrong with an ETA movement. They are good movements and reliable and are easy on the wallet to service. But they are not anything special. So generally when people dislike it is when it is in super expensive watches. I think it really depends on a case by case basis.

This is like one of those photos of a deformed baby that should have been aborted because it looks painful to live.

Appreciate it

What is that? Looks stunning, also while I'm at it, what's the name of those watches where they're unbranded.

Slightly related, Rolex is 100% swiss to my knowledge. But is Tudor 100% as well? I really cannot see them not being so. As Rolex has enough money not to cut corners like that.

Sterile

Are you in Europe or US?
And are you serious? Would you actually be able to source the part?

that’s when you have a vasectomy

reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/89w2z5/christopher_ward_my_daniel_wellington_ripoff/

So, what's happening in this thread exactly?

Attached: really made me think.png (600x600, 143K)

I'm assembling my watch right now and the movement wobbles in the fucking case. I don't have a movement spacer to put over it, which everyone seems to say you need. Now I'm wondering if there's an issue with the case or the movement, if the chinks forgot to give me the spacer, or if that's just what I get for buying the cheapest chinkshit possible.
Fuck.

Get a Bergeon 6767.

Even Reddit has standards

He literally posted a collection pic last thread, don't act surprised

Then yeah, no shit it hits the indices. Any $2000 quartz watch sold today hits the indices.

>Bit like people whine about the new Ford GT having an engine out of the F150 Raptor
Except it really doesn't. If anything it shares an engine with a Daytona race car.
The block is the same, but that's not what's important in an engine.

Helm Vanuatu. It's not sterile though, their logo is right in the middle of the dial.

My chink one fucking SUCKS
I use a knife with tape because it works better

I know but he didn't include his ham hock in that picture

Tudor is too.
Only caveat to that is the tudors with an ETA-based movement. ETA (swatch) have factories in china (and thailand) and so it would be inevitable that say a plate or screw or whatever else would be made there, especially for their basic 2824/2892's etc.

Tudor's been transitioning to in-house calibres though, so bye bye swatch-chains.

>Don't be like you were last time, bullying him till he leaves.
He's just going to go back to eddit's watch shit anyway.
He'll be happier there, after all:

Doesn't stop people whining about it. Tudor change a bunch of parts on the ETA movement before putting it in their watch, still doesn't stop people whining about it.

Attached: AA91CF1C-A0B9-4AFC-A81E-B8B7DE383FEA.jpg (1280x759, 236K)

Obesity

Good morning wt

Attached: 20180405_101916-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.64M)

white dials a shit (cept on HH dress watches and even then depends on design)
"rhodium"/graphite/anthracite - whatever you want to call it, fucking GREY, is lame and boring and bought by the smelly of butt
that leaves blue
patrician choice of dial color is, of course,

B L A C K (ed)

nothing beats the high-viz of a black dial, a white on black dial
if you like any other dial (cept the grape rolex, that gets a pass for ballsiness) you are a fucking retard and are more cucked than pic related

skeleton fedora's don't even make the chart
and if it's a tag no dial color will save it

Attached: 1518533266234.jpg (634x634, 102K)

What are you wearing today /wt/? I'm wearing my 2big4u Seiko that I bought when I didn't know any better, it's meca-quartz so not totally shit. Barely wear it these days though.

Attached: IMG_20180405_152145_1.jpg (1634x2186, 801K)

JUST
U
S
T

Anyone who types like this gets their opinion discarded.

mixing curry into lume needs to end

there is nothing wrong with a screw or a plate being made in China, pricing is the only problem

Love it. What's causing the discoloration around the crystal?

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.91M)

My guess is some kind of discoloration of the seal over the last fifty years, though I haven't opened it to see.

I'm doing all I can and I can't seem to get the movement to stop rocking around. This is infuriating.

Attached: windyseikomecha.jpg (1634x2186, 1.01M)

pump it full of epoxy

Only now I realize why he didn't post a wrist shot last time he wrote the wrist check post.
Double penis today. Any suggestions for bracelet replacement?

Attached: IMG_20180405_163731__01.jpg (3424x3660, 3.8M)

>there is nothing wrong with a screw or a plate being made in China
>nothing wrong with made in china
imblybing chingaling

businessinsider.com/china-bridge-collapses-2012-8

Attached: keeenyachinkmadebridgesuperqualitysellugoodprice.jpg (780x438, 129K)

Is Junker a good name in watch maker ? I want a nice looking, pretty cheap and not gaudy watch for my first job, and I really enjoy the Junker Bauhaus aesthetic.
The price for the Quartz one is also not too bad for a poor student like me.
Any recommendation in watches for that style ?

Morning

Still wearing the two tone DJ

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180111_135550.jpg (2827x2828, 3.42M)

Nice strap desu.

The problem is that the mainland Chinese culturally do not believe in the concept of business ethics nor in quality control. If you don't have non-mainlanders watching them like hawks they will cut every corner and violate every spec you give them to stuff an additional penny or two in their pockets.

I’m sorry to hear about the death of your tryhard great uncle

It's handmade non-Vietnamese croc I overpaid for, but it is very nice quality.

How much?

Customer comes back today that the watch I dried out and re-water-tested only a month ago is fogging up and stopped. Turns out the stupid retard not only took a shower with the watch, a shitty 100m Fossil two-three days after he picked it up (March 8), where it immediately fogged up, the dipshit let it stay flooded for almost a month, till it stopped yesterday.

The movement was swimming in condensation, and already started to rust pretty bad. He was kinda pissed that manufacturers would sell a watch as waterproof that couldn't take a shower, even after I pointed out that I personally wouldn't take a 1000m diver near hot water nor soap, and the manual and warranty card specifically said to avoid them.

People are fucking stupid.

Attached: Rust3035C.jpg (1024x768, 129K)

>a bridge is a screw

THE STATE OF WT BRAINLETS

130 maplebux, which is a lot more than you can get Viet croc for, but I wanted this exact shade, surface finish, and shape of strap to go with the DJ so I paid their asking.

I'm guessing sourcing a replacement seal might be a nightmare?
I wish
It's not got hooded lugs so whatever you want, black leather of some kind is the obvious suggestion. Ditch that bracelet asap though

Copped a SARB033 from Jappos on eBay for $350 USD. How'd I do /wt/? Should be here next week or so.

Attached: w_20b20pbu56n5c14_seiko-sarb033-black.jpg?w=1000.jpg (1000x750, 144K)

are you trying to advance in your career? Can you realistically escape the shitter hell and work for a prestigious conpany? Are you the next F.P. Journe?

Is that a Rolex 3132?!

Attached: Rolex Wristlet.jpg (800x1141, 260K)

bridges use big screws dummy
how do you think they get the parts to stick together?
glue?
fucking lmao the absolute state of (YOU)

Attached: 1518254101971.jpg (645x729, 81K)

sell it for 600 and buy two SARBs
repeat until rich

>screws
They glue it with concrete, you dumbfuck
How would you even screw in a screw into a concrete surface, please think before talking man

That's honestly not terrible at all for a real croc.
The bracelet is nice though, but it fucked up 2 weeks ago or so and now it's quite stiff in the place i had to bend it, it's kinda annoying and bothers me when I look at it. I was thinking of a replacement bracelet but more solid than current one. Dunno where to look though.