Basic security/privacy

What do you consider basic setup? What would you suggest me to do?

Win 10 + Firefox (ublock+badger+httpsev) + few windows "privacy" tools that probably don't work + VeraCrypt whole disc (no key only long pswrd + i can legaly refuse to provide it) + small town ISP + ddwrt + LineageOS with magisk firewall etc + using public torrents

What I consider to change: Linux + VPN + private trackers

Discuss

Attached: online-privacy.jpg (633x480, 66K)

>discuss

what if I don't?

Attached: 1508958109752.jpg (777x777, 233K)

Switch Windows 10 to 7.

Windows 10 with Google Chrome and no agency will care about you

did just that for a long time, just recently switched to firefox, i guess i have too much free time so i make excuses to fiddle with my setup

I use bitlocker to encrypt my drives. I never bothered with veracrypt when it was still truecrypt. Should i switch?

Stop worrying about security. You can never win.

What you should be doing is only the basic shit like keeping your OS up to date.

windows 7 basic setup:

-debloated (telemetry)
-extraneous services disabled
-full disk encryption
-encrypted containers for important documents
-dnscrypt
-emet
-some sort of av
-firewall control software
-vm for browsing, browser is portable firefox with noscript, request policy, self destructing cookies, no history

That's just a start really. I think it's enough to keep most of the bad shit out in most cases.

Win7 shills leave

fuck off. i don't want to use 8 or 10. after 15 + years of using linux, i don't want to use it for desktop either. only use it for certain tasks.

You should add adaway to you lineageos from f droid

i had it at one point but something broke with hosts file because of it and i couldnt get play store to work, had to wipe, and desu i dont use apps with ads and firefox has ublock and badger so it's just fine

>emet
neat
>av
aren't those almost all botnet or shit?
>firewall
i just use the built-in windows one

I just use bitdefender or mse as a last line of defense against a stupid action. I am aware that there is computer aids that these won't catch. if you are really worried about botnet, there is also clamav, but it does not have real time capabilities. works great on my server 2003 installation though, since it is only used as a file server and pdc, and firewall rules restrict access to only a few machines.

the built in windows firewall is robust, but most people don't know how to use it, or how to manage it, and it does need some tweaking from stock. You can install a front end to it that will allow real time notifications, and quick configuration, which is yet another line of defense against an oops! moment.

Question: what do you even need all these things for?

I mean, realistically, you just need to clean Windows from trackers, ublock + httpsev + noscript, and use a VPN.

If you collect data use encfs for it, done and done.

Really there's no reason to be paranoid unless you're THAT worried about your nudes getting out.

for the meme, srsly since i remember i loved to tinker with stuff

if i got a brick i would go on to brick forum to check what i can change in it

privacy/security is just a nice outcome

i wonder if anyone else is like me

Attached: brick.jpg (900x900, 40K)

for a base level of privacy and security.

in addition to the things you listed, it is also nice to protect your computer from remote exploits, which can largely be done with correct firewall configuration, and exploit mitigation software. we shouldn't be arguing the need for these things on Jow Forums.

i too love to tinker. cannot help myself.

>playstore
Reflash that lineage with the microg version and get yalp store
I always found tinywall to be a great little frontend as it blocks everything until you specifically tell it to let something through.

i'm using this thing called windows 8 firewall control. works on windows 7. the latest version is a pos though. downloaded this one about 4 years ago.

i have another one on my laptop at home, but i forget the name. kinda janky. may have to check out tinywall and see if it is better.

Then you're not even a Windows user anymore. Go away.

haha ok kid, your retarded

>your retarded
My retarded what? Finish your fucking statements

no u