Website Infrastructure

Hey Jow Forums,

I'm a business owner. My website gets about 13,500 unique hits per month on Google Analytics. Not use how much bandwidth that makes me use, I'd have to ask my web guys. We do have video and large images.

Anyways, I want to do a better website this year and wanted to ask you guys some advice infrastructure wise.

Site that size, what type of server should I be using? (I'm currently on a Hostgator dedicated server and it goes down at the worst time. I did some research and see Hostgator is shit. Who should I use? Remember I have to pay the web agency to fix it if it is complicated, so it might be cheaper to go with a managed solution?)
My business is very international, how do I get it faster overseas? (I read about CDNs?)
What types of frameworks are good to use? (Bootstrap?)
What other stuff should I look at? Cloudflare?
Any general advice?

I mean I don't want to overspend but when I re-do the site I want to be educated on what my options are and I'm not very tech-savvy (I'm from /diy/).

Attached: racks-at-night-900-2.jpg (909x682, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cessna.txtav.com/
wp101.com/10-reasons-why-you-should-never-host-your-own-videos/
havenandhearth.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh and my friend that runs a business also told me to look at Rackspace, but I'm too dumb to even tell what they are selling. I mean it's like "Managed Cloud", "Hybrid Cloud" , "Multi Cloud" ...I know what that means (some user told me "cloud means your shit is spread across someone elses computers") seems way overkill. His business is way larger than mine though...

It's impossible to say. Because you need to loat your website to determine how big it is. The average website is 3mb per page. But if you scale the images it might just as well be 500kb. A video can be anything from 10mb to 200mb It's impossible to tell. And you multiply that by the amount of visitors you have to determine how much bandwidth you need.

There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth, because it's always limited by speed and usually limited by a fair use policy. Unmetered does exist.

If you want to make a small blog or business website then your host isn't that important. If you want to make a community website then you need a VPS that you can upgrade.

Frameworks don't matter at all. You work with what you know. Cloudflare isn't something you need until you grow big.

>loat
load

sup my dude I work support at a data center in the US. If your dedicated server is going down its likely that the site is coded poorly or you do not have the resources on the server to maintain the load. More then likely its a combination of both. I'm am almost cretin that its not host gators fault that your shitty website goes down when even the slightest wind blows on it.

If it's a static site you should host it on a blobstore (eg S3, GCS) + a CDN (Cloud Front, Cloud CDN). There's no point in having a long running server just to display your menus.

One more thing. A month of 30 days has 2592000 seconds. So on average you get 0.005 visitors per second. That shouldn't be a big deal.

You're supposed to hire a real sysadmin, like me, to set you up on AWS or GCP and fire your dumbass "web guys" who put you on a terrible host.

[email protected]

Hit me up senpai.

>server going down has anything to do with how the site was written

t. College CS freshman

Just move big files to CDN.

On small scale(13.500) don't need worry language,frameworks,just good database indexing,cloud or anything more.

Thank you, yeah I think our site requirements should be pretty low based on that usage. I know google subtracts visitors it thinks aren't real or have do-not-track, so I'm not sure how much that makes my traffic.

We're pretty video heavy, but can I use a CDN for that? YouTube is kinda tacky to use right?

It's not the server itself, it's the connection to the server that is usually the issue. I think the actual server itself has been okay. Usually the reason given by Hostgator is "network issues". It's also managed so they are taking care of it.

What's a blobstore?

The ad agency has a system admin but I think I want to have a managed service that way the tech stuff is handled by whoever I pay to host it all? I'm not sure what my options are there. Like I said earlier my friend uses Rackspace but I was overwhelmed by their options and they had no pricing.

Thanks. What do I host the main site on? Are there good managed hosts? How do I make the site faster internationally, the CDN?

I have a client with a 1gig php memory limit because that is how much memory it takes to load his page without a memory_limit error. He pays us a shit ton for his 3 dedicated servers so I look the other way and don't say much to him about it.

It's 2018. There is literally no reason not to host everything you have on AWS or Google Cloud, because if you are, you're throwing your money away.

It depends on your goals. But people usually put their videos on YouTube for the simple reason that they don't have to host it themselves. Because a video puts a serious strain on your machine and bandwidth. There is a reason why YouTube isn't profitable yet.

How does that work? I'm sorry I'm a novice. Are those "cloud" servers? Like those Linode things I've seen other 4channers talking about? Where you make a droplet and it has NGINX or something?

So you having network issues and you're not in some "Shit hole country". If you are, you might be out of luck because your physical connection a US servers may be the issue.

Things must be worse then I thought over at host gator if they have network issues as often as you report. Also, {Big} providers like host gator probably don't look too deep into issues.

You may have reported some issues on the server and by the time the tech got around to looking at it the issue had passed and he just shrugged his shoulders and said that it was a network issue. He then most likely passed the ticket along to a higher level technician who saw nothing and also was misled by the lower levels technicians network issue verdict.

this was meant for this post

Cloud means server.
>webhost
>the software is done for you, you get a low amount of resources
>VPS
>you get access to a virtual machine and a certain amount of assigned resources and do everything yourself
>dedicated server
>you get all resources on a machine'

>AWS / Google
>you get unlimited resources and pay for what you use

A collocated 1U server is 100$ a month in our data center that is way cheaper than anything you could get on any cloud hosting platform.

Cloud infrastructure is only useful when your web apps need elasticity in regards to their scalability

Thanks. Would I think need to hire someone to manage the cloud machine? I kinda liked the idea of paying some company to host the site and manage all the technical stuff for the server like updates and restarts and patches or whatever servers do?

Most large Cloud host providers do not offer managed support.

This is bait.

I can't look into your wallet. And I don't know how tech savvy you are.

I'm from the Netherlands and run a small content driven website + webshop. And I just use a VPS with directadmin (user interface). I googled how to update my server, changed some passwords as well and that's it. It does everything I need. Just make sure to make backups of your files and database.

Also, be careful not to break any links towards your website when you do an update. Google isn't very fond of broken links.

Thanks.

It wasn't intended to be. :/

I run a pretty large business, I mean its cheaper for me to pay someone to manage it than to do it myself - within reason.

.2 shekels have been deposited into your account

Then you certainly have better things to do than to manage a server.

Yeah, I just want to make sure I pay attention this time because last time I didn't and not happy with what I ended up with. That's why I'm taking the time to try to get educated on this stuff before I call my ad agency in.

Thanks for your help, btw.

This is a similar website to what I want, btw.
cessna.txtav.com/

Maybe with more video just because of my product, it lends itself to a lot of video.

Then any notable webhost will do desu. And certainly do host your videos on YouTube.

Hire a fucking professional then instead of your wife's boyfriend's nephew or asking Jow Forums, you stupid fuck.

was meant for

Why wouldn't I ask Jow Forums? This thread has been super helpful. I'm glad I did.

Thanks!

Remember when Jow Forums didn't have a reddit-like craving for validation by helping idiots? Remember when Jow Forums would have just told a guy like this to fuck off, lurk moar, install gentoo, or give him catastrophically bad advice?

I do.

>helping others is bad
>Jow Forums is better if every thread is just telling people to fuck off, spewing memes, and not trying to help
what's the point of you even being here? guy asked a tech question, ignore it if it triggers you that much that he asked for advice

You seriously need to go back.

dog you are mad over a thread where information is being shared and people are learning. I think you need to reconsider why you are so salty and address it.

I'm mad because I'm tired of Jow Forums being a breeding ground for the lowest common brain-dead denominator.

This guy clearly doesn't know how to manage physical hardware.

IDK man. The thing I hear most devs complain about is that the higher ups are never educated and ask for the impossible. Here we have a corporate overlord asking for our input. That pared with the fact that this should be a brain dead easy topic to talk about means that this is a beneficial thread in my eyes.

How so what did I get wrong?

You should see 1 person watching a video as 200 people constantly refreshing your website every second for the duration of half the video.

OP here. As I said in my first post, I'm from /diy/ and not a tech guy - I run a business with 68 employees under me as of today. I did a fair amount of research trying to learn before asking the question, a few days ago I didn't even know what a CDN was. This is not my expertise, but I want to learn so I'm better prepared as my business grows and I hire agencies to do my marketing.

That said, if you come to /diy/ and ask about fiberglassing something, and attempt to do some background research on your own, I'll be happy to help you even though you are a novice. That's kinda fun to me. Sorry helping novices isn't fun for you.

Thanks user.

wp101.com/10-reasons-why-you-should-never-host-your-own-videos/

He actually forgot one reason. Having to download all videos during a backup is a pain.

That would not be an issue if you use incremental backups.

Where else would you host them for the same price? I have a site that requires over a petabyte per month and haven't found any place that could host that any cheaper than a fuckton of dedicated servers.

Thank you

That list obviously meant for small businesses for who hosting videos isnt part of their core business. But just want to showcase some products on video.

op just go with a managed webhost. you don't have time to have people fucking around with that shit as a midsized business. there are two types of people who screw with this, tiny businesses that hire kids to make their websites as cheap as possible, and huge companies that have their own IT departments. the rest just sub it all out.

I realize you are just trying to learn and commend that, but in the end you just need to hire a company to handle it for you.

Did you forget /b/ used to help people all the time?

Thanks user.

Yeah I plan on that. I have a good agency for the web site, but I feel like their weakness is the tech part so wanted to see what their plan is for the next site. I like the idea of having a "managed host" but I can't seem to find one that really seems that good. There is Rackspace, which someone thought I was trolling with, but I can't even see what their "plans" are and maybe it is too big and expensive for a business like mine.

Brian Lunduke just put out a video with the guys at Pogo Linux and they showed off a 1U petabyte server. They said it would run you about $300K

I think the resource that user shared was meant for smaller websites and not websites like yours.

You could go for a Microsoft assure storage node it sounds like you need the scalability of a cloud infrastructure and they offer good storage solutions.

this, if you’re doing anything else in 2018 you’re doing it wrong

also fuck off with your request for free consulting work OP, Jow Forums is not your personal IT department.

Lmao mad poo in loo IT "professionals"

you seem upset

Attached: 1460628696148.png (1456x1108, 67K)

Is AWS actually bad, though? I've been wondering this myself, because I haven't used it myself, but the pricing looks pretty good in theory.

A two-CPU, 8 GB RAM instances, which should be more than enough to host ordinary websites that don't receive tons and tons of visitors, costs only $0.1072 per CPU-hour. Assuming that the website uses 10% CPU (which would be very high in my estimate), that's only ~$8/month. I can't really think of many other hosting services that match that. Is there any reason to not use it?

not that user, but i think the main disadvantage with something like that is a midsized business needs managed hosting. they aren't big enough to have someone competent watching their server, and advertising agencies are heroically bad at managing them.

That's not my problem, though.

Real thing about cloud companies is charge for Bandwith GB/$ begin very bad 50 times expensive or worst agains CDN

That's actually one of the things that's confounding me, because I can't anything at all about bandwidth pricing on the AWS site. Are they hiding this information?

Was actually just being blind. I found it at $0.09/GB, which is actually significantly more expensive for my usage than what I'm getting from Hetzner that I'm currently using.

If don't begin CDN bandwidth price for big static Files, usually OVH, Hetzner another dedicate server company begin the cheaper $/GB.

How big of a site do you power on the Hetzner?

What are you guys using for a CDN? I'm using MaxCDN right now and it seems to be doing fine but anything better?

13,500 visitors a month is nothing for a html site.

Are you on wordpress by any chance? Wordpress is cancer and uses a lot of resources. You can optimize it though in the meantime.

Cloudflare is the quickest band-aid. It's not a true CDN but it'll definitely help with the load.

That's $77/month and it does not include the bandwidth. Bandwidth is about $90/TB on AWS so it gets expensive quick.

Check out Knownhost or Bigscoots if you want decent managed hosting. You'll pay $50-100/month but it'll just work and they can setup the CDN for you etc.

>My website gets about 13,500 unique hits per month on Google Analytics.
get a neocities account

Move your shit to AWS. Stop being poor

Nope. The outages have been from network issues at Hostgator, I think the website is fine from that respect. The reason I was asking about frameworks and stuff is just for faster loading/lighter website.

It's not just web, but some other services too. Generally, the main server I'm using tends to transmit around 2 TB/month. Of that, the HTTP server alone seems to average around 400 GB/month, and about 25M requests/month.

May I ask what other services?

Sure, it's me and a friend running a homebrew MMO. The game server is using most of the bandwidth.

Homebrew MMO?

Neat.

Yes?

As in something you made? How does it pull that much data since you probably don't have thousands of players?

That being said, I also personally host some small websites for friends and family. Which is kind of fine, but since it's on my personal server at home, there is occasional downtime due to power/internet outages or just because I want to rebuild my server, or any other reason, which is mildly annoying. Given that these are fairly small sites, it does seem to me that AWS might be a good match for some of them. It seems it would be virtually free to host them there.

>As in something you made?
Yes
>How does it pull that much data since you probably don't have thousands of players?
We do have thousands of players.

Link?

havenandhearth.com/

Pls don't kill me.

Thanks for all the help guys.

What do you all think about sites that are editable by my staff versus ones without a "backend"? Right now to update the site we call our web agency and they manually do it, I know a lot of sites you can edit via Wordpress or something. However, I've noticed you can sort of "tell" those sites because the formatting never looks as nice. I imagine there is also a security risk with that type of thing?

The site doesn't need to get updated super often, but be nice to make edits when I see an error.

Is that the gank game with a lot of Russians? Think I saw some threads about that a few years ago.
Anyway, it looked fun, good job!

CCCUUUTTTEEEEE

>What do you all think about sites that are editable by my staff versus ones without a "backend"?
That's not exactly your only two options. It's not like you couldn't set up a site that your staff can upload static files to, using a variety of protocols.

Generally the updates I wish we could make on the fly are things like "it says 3 rivets rather than 4" or "the model number is wrong on that part"

It is open PvP, but there's not really all that much ganking going on. I think the playerbase is fairly evenly split in first- and second-world players.

>Anyway, it looked fun, good job!
T-thanks senpai.

Sounds like something you could just upload static HTML changes for.

To expand, I'm sure there are advantages to using Wordpress, like ecosystem, themes, plugins and such, but I haven't used it myself, so I can't speak for any details, nor would I want to. To be sure, there are security issues with Wordpress not all that seldom, and you'd need to be somewhat on top of it in order to avoid issues, I think.

My personal preference, if I didn't have any known reason to want to use Wordpress, would be to stay away from anything like it that complicates the site and its maintenance, and indeed use static HTML instead. If you want to have some better editing control, I'd argue for just putting the site in Git, so that you get revision handling.

Thanks

Thank you, this is very helpful. Yeah it seems like my site could be static.

You're basically describing Wordpres completely inaccurately. Its an easy solution for all the problems you are fretting about.

You're an idiot. Cloud providers are always more expensive than VPS, dedicated or colocation at 100% utilization. The big benefit for cloud is scaling, which only matters if you expect your load to change significantly over time, and if you're at the point of doing colo, you might as well build in 200% expected capacity and call it good.

The other benefit for cloud is geo rep HA and shit like coded infrastructure, which gets real expensive real quick. Almost nobody needs that stuff until they're at the millions of users per month level or they're legally required to maintain HA.

Yeah, just realized the price was for uptime-hours, whereas I thought it was CPU-hours, so that actually makes a huge difference.

>google analytics
Die

You are way off maybe don't call people idiots when youre this clueless.

>t. eternal slav

Please explain how you can get 32GB ram and 8 actual cpu cores on a gigabit link on AWS or any other cloud provider for $120. This is easily done with dedicated hosting on a slew of providers, but a t2.2xlarge on AWS is $276/mo. You usually even get 200-500GB of raid 1 ssd included with dedi, but aws makes you pay for ebs.

This scales down into the VPS range too. DO/Linode/Vultr are consistently cheaper than AWS.

>tfw you actually flat out lie to make your argument

lol

Holy shit! I can't believe it! You're an actual paid Amazon shill aren't you?

I use AWS for shit that makes sense, like static hosting on S3. But they are NOT competitive in the VPS market. They are competitive only in cloud, where everything is expensive because you're paying for the platform and "reliability"*.

*Until someone at Amazon deletes us-east-1 again.

Attached: D4kt0dm9.png (1182x1027, 71K)