/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: 1500744494032.jpg (1589x1191, 297K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/gp/aws/cart/add-res.html?ASIN.1=B07B41717Z&Quantity.1=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/8brkdX
logicalincrements.com/
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/TwZMZR
charlotte.craigslist.org/sop/d/gigabyte-radeon-rx580-8-gb/6552340941.html
charlotte.craigslist.org/sop/d/evga-gtx-1080-ti-ftw3-hybrid/6552147044.html
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811353062#fullInfo
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=11-133-274
thebottlenecker.com/#calculator
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That one time when one gay started a small tirade on Jow Forums and mods even stickied that thread.. Both mods and that gay the absolute madman

Reposting this from the shill thread where the OP is retarded and thinks kaby lake G is a desktop processor-

Brother wants to build a PC this summer, he has a limited budget at the moment (

Looking for a good cheap cpu cooler for my new setup. Am4 socket, ryzen 7. I used the stock cooler in my last builds but do other coolers come with thermalpaste? Do you get a syringe or is it already on the cooler?

>G4560

if you want to hit 1080 with decent results go for a used 280x, not sure what you would cut with that sort of budget though, pretty sure they go for around $100 used

it's fine for an office pc and playing runescape

what is your definition of cheap?

Lets say around 50 euro's?

What ryzen 7 did you buy and are you going to OC it.

Cryomeme h7 is pretty good for around 40 euros

Buddy in my discord needs a PC. I know nothing about the Canadian market, but they've got a budget of about $1k CAD. Wants the PC to do gaming at 1080p of course and to be able to do their school work. They currently plays games like farm sim 17 and just wants it to last a long time for whatever they get into. What sort of build could they get for that kinda cash in Canada? Not too worried about buying a legit OS

Any help?

ryzen 2200g is better and not discontinued

h7 or a hyper 212 would work for you
if you are only doing stock or mild overclock you could honestly stick with the stock cooler if you don't mind the noise

No OC, I am planning on buying AMD Ryzen 7 1700x or the normal one, not sure which to pick yet.

not if all you do is load facebook and chrome, you'd be retarded to buy it regardless with all the 2nd hand office pcs you can buy for cheap.

I've had some problems with the previous amd stock cooler, when I boot it will run at 100% or at least extremely loud as if it is shaking while spinning and then after 30 secs turn down to what it should be spinning as.

Why are there two threads now?

if you're not planning on overclocking wait 2 weeks for the 2xxx series to come out and get a 2700 or 2700x and use the stock cooler, they are fine.

1 is and intel shill thread with no title to look it up by
this one is the regular OP message and a good title
I ended up posting in both though

/vgcag/ - Video Game Console Assembly General

Attached: 1403837987365.png (400x389, 48K)

yeah just get an h7 or 212 then
they would also be enough if you decide to overclock in the future

I'm planning on buying my things in 2 weeks, I have to time to build atm. Are they also coming out in Europe at that date?

>no title to look it up by
But that's how I noticed there were two

Attached: pcbg.jpg (1884x499, 122K)

Yes, you can preorder them on amazon at the moment. I would wait for other shops to allow pre orders as well so you can get a better deal.

amazon.co.uk/gp/aws/cart/add-res.html?ASIN.1=B07B41717Z&Quantity.1=1 for example

Thanks mate

2nd one has it in a url the other has it in the title
I usually just look up building which is why i said you couldnt look it up

maybe im the retarded one though

I wouldn't preorder for amazon until they have the prices sorted out, they are using 1 to 1 USD to GBP at the moment. Just an example to be honest. Expect to be able to preorder by April 12th at most.

I am not going to, I'm not a ukfag so either they will not ship to my country and the pound is quite expensive not to mention shipping fee. I know I can get much better deals on other tech sites of my own country.

k

don't post in shill threads

wait you need good CPU for better resolution and framerate?

I burst out laughing at this picture

I'm on my 2nd rig in about 8 years.

Just built this one back in August, and haven't had any problems until this week.

After about 5-10 minutes of playing any modern game, my screen goes black and for about 5 seconds it cuts all audio out. After the screen stays black, I can still hear some sounds and talk through voice. The only way I can fix it is by restarting.

Is it safe to assume its the GPU, or could it still be the Motherboard or PSU?

I've reseated everything and nothing shows damage. The GPU is the only thing I kept from my old rig, a GTX 960.

Could be a bad HDMI cable maybe. Have you tried another cable?

Ironically the only thing that I could never get to work was the HDMI port on it. I use DVI and its worked fine. I've secured the connection and whenever the black screen hits I've tried unplugging and replugging. Doesn't work and I have to hard reboot.

The monitor itself is fine, cable doesn't seem to be the problem.

Check in event viewer what the logs say, I had a similar but not exactly identical issue and I managed to track it down to the SSD I had my OS on dying.

my soon to become mobofu

Attached: 58f7c3f84e.png (933x500, 382K)

Have I finally lost my mind for wanting to build a mini-pc out of pure boredom? Something like a $100 budget meme AMD build out of used or scavenged components to use a linux distro on.

This is what I've come up with on PCPartPicker

CPU: AMD - A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor (£29.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock - FM2A68M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard (£33.82 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston - ValueRAM 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£16.96 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£19.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £99.77

Already have a prehistoric Case & PSU, any thoughts?

I've never seen this before somehow.

Figuring out how to use it then I'll give it a go.

Does the screen freeze at all? Have you checked GPU/Mobo temps?

Perhaps the PSU is fucking up and not delivering power.

PLEASE DELETE AND SUPPORT RAJA SHEKELSTEIN

Attached: 1506977173618.jpg (882x758, 324K)

stop being poor and save up for at least a 2200g

It freezes for a split second before going all black, not even a cursor. I have not checked temps yet but I highly doubt they get that hot that fast.

If I'm playing a game with friends I disconnect as if my computer shuts off, yet I can still hear repeated audio and still chat with friends through voice. Its really bizarre.

I can have the computer on all day and it won't do it as long as I stay off of games.

pcpartpicker.com/list/8brkdX

Any weak points anyone can see? I saw that they make CL14 3200mhz ram kits compared to the CL16 I have selected, but those kits are a good $350 more, so fuck that. Also my current case is the CM Trooper normal variant. The non tempered glass RGB cancer one.

What part of 'mini-pc out of pure boredom', do you not understand? I already have an R7 1700 @ 4GHz with 16GB 3000MHz, this is purely a fun throw-away build.

>computer on all day and it won't do it as long as I stay off of games.
This sounds identical to what happened to my old pc, it's either the motherboard or PSU I bet you 99%.

Try running a benchmark instead of that game and watch the temps

Why do you need 1.5TB of SSD?

Also check your GPU and make sure no cables are blocking the fans or anything

I know I should be more tech literate than this, but what is the best way to do this? Should I download something?

Get MSI afterburner or HWmonitor and watch the temps and voltage.
I'm not sure what software logs these things for you to view afterwards in case it crashes again, but I could never pinpoint this myself and ended up rebuilding the pc entirely with a new motherboard.

In my case it would freeze shortly after loading up a game and the sound would either loop or go silent. It was a 'two-step' freeze, where the mouse would stop for a split second and unfreeze, then stop altogether with everything else. Sometimes I'd get a message stating my Nvidia drivers crashed, but I'm sure it was either a faulty mobo or psu fucking up the entire pc.

Quick note, both of my GPU fans aren't moving. All other 3 fans inside are. I guess that's sign #1.

Either the GPU failed, or it's not getting enough power (PSU faulty). Could also be one of the PCI-E cables?

Are they not moving while gaming or not moving while idle?

If they're not moving while idle that's fine (well, depending on the GPU, modern GPUs with good heatsinks don't need the fans to be on at idle temps), but if they don't turn on while gaming that is definitely your problem

These screws won't come out. I've tried 4 different drivers, and a couple of knives but nothing. Any ideas?

Attached: IMG_20180405_170616.jpg (3120x4160, 2.3M)

What the fuck is the ryzen lineup? I thought what we were getting ryzen 2 the end of this month then ryzen 3 whenever, but I've read that what we're getting is ryzen+ or refresh with ryzen 2 later and ryzen 3 I'm not even sure if it's a thing.

Well I already have the 500GB 960 evo. I use it for editing and scratch space. But I also have a Samsung 120GB, 250GB, and 500GB SATA based SSDs (ranging from the OG 840 series, to the 850 EVO series) game install and windows. I'd like to retire the 120 and 250. Use the 500gb SATA SSD for windows and applications install. The 500GB NVME for scratch disk as it is now. And the 1TB NVME for game install.
The 2 mechanical disks are for local backups. I already run a centrized backup server with 45(maybe 50TB now, I forget really) of space.

About to test it out.

>logicalincrements.com/
Select Canada

Rubber band trick

is it a really bad idea if i pair up an i3 6100 with a 980ti?

>Being this rich

I-I'll just stick with my 240GB Kingston SSD, t-thanks heh...

flip it over. Don't they have coupling nuts? Or just straight through threading?

>i3 6100
>3.7GHz and 4 threads

Not really, but it'll bottleneck the 980Ti. Decent regardless.

I started up Rocket League but didn't play becaues of the whole black screen thing. Fans didn't move.

Any easy way for me to test which is the actual problem?

also, don't ever use knives.
I beg you to please buy a cheapo set of philips bits or screw drivers.

I'm no PC building expert but both pcpartspicker and logicalincrements can show prices in canuck bucks
Here's something I threw together, may be retarded though
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/TwZMZR

we are getting ryzen+ right now which are better 14nm cpus
laster we are getting ryzen 2 which are new 7nm cpus
then ryzen 3 is a refresh of 7nm cpus

Did you get the GPU new or used? If it's used it might be the fans are fucked.

Otherwise, if you have one of course, try swapping it out for a different one and see if the fans cut out in the same way. Or swapping your GPU into another computer and seeing if the fans spin up there.

That way you can determine if it's a problem with your GPU or your PSU. If you can't be fucked with that just take it to a shop and have them test it out for you

Attached: 678cdeaccf.png (967x790, 697K)

YOOO that website is dope. Thanks user

Buddy, buddy, buddy. First off, get some flat heads or better yet square heads back in there once you get them out that way you don't over torque them. You sure you're using the right Phillips bit?
Not a bad build, my guy. Thanx.

I don't have any spare parts to swap with right now unfortunately.

The GPU was used in my old PC which had overheating issues unrelated to the GPU itself. It very well could be used up. That's why I was thinking PSU or GPU but I wanted to be sure which.

How much do you think a shop would charge to take a quick look?

charlotte.craigslist.org/sop/d/gigabyte-radeon-rx580-8-gb/6552340941.html

Don't forget to check Craigslist. 580 8gb for $275

charlotte.craigslist.org/sop/d/evga-gtx-1080-ti-ftw3-hybrid/6552147044.html

1080ti hybrid for $850

Yeah, if the GPU is old the fans may just be broke.

No idea about prices, go to their website and check or call and ask. For the shops around me it's $30-40 CAD for a diagnostic.

The OP of the fake thread literally told people to try building a gaming laptop with an unreleased kaby lake G processor instead of buying a true desktop APU. kek. Anyway:

I'm trying to decide between these cases:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811353062#fullInfo

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=11-133-274

The diypc will more easily fit on my small desk, unlike the fatter thermaltake, and I really like the style and colors better, but I'd want to get an extra 200mm fan to replace the supposedly lackluster fan it comes with in the front. And plus, it is really cramped down below and I wish I could move the sdd or hdd cage up top to alleviate the extra cabling issues people have reported been having. So that's another consideration once I get multiple drives down below.

the diypc has a card reader on the front IO, which isn't a big deal since I have an adapter for usb ports. And it does have an extra USB port up top for a total of 3, but only one is usb 3, which is stupid. The thermaltake is more configurable which is good, and I'd kinda be forced to have it off my desk but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

The Thermaltake looks better.

It'll be a rather big bottleneck
thebottlenecker.com/#calculator
This here reckons 22% bottleneck. The i5-8400 isn't that expensive dude and cheaper mobo's are coming out in a month or 2

just aesthetically? I think the diypc looks better to me, but the thermaltake does look fine though so I could live with it if it has another big advantage

this meant for

I wanted to upgrade with the new jewvidya GPU coming up this year from 1080p to QHD 144hz
But i heard scaling is fucked up on windows, is this true?

Scaling in windows sucks, but if you buy a 30+ inch 1440p monitor, the dpi shouldn't much.

i heard 27 is perfect for 1440p, i sit pretty close

Your'e good to go then, I had a 1080 21.5 inch and it was a little tight for me, then I stepped up to the 24 inch U2412M 1920x1200, and it's perfect.

i don't want to blog here, but the 6100 would be temporary, simply i got a really good deal on the 980ti and plan to sell my 6700 since i'm broke.
and according to the site, even a skylake i5 bottlenecks the 980ti, which i simply don't believe.

That's why I said to get coffee lake i5-8500
Your wasting your money getting a temporary CPU. Is it cause you can't afford to upgrade you ram and mobo with it all aswell?

Is Crypto going down?
For my suprise GPU prices dropped by a good 15% here.

Or you could get a ryzen and have an actual upgrade path vs needing a new motherboard every year. Even if you don't do GD now, buying one irked my curiosity enough that I started using blender and Vegas casually rather than just gaymen all day. Its slowly becoming a legitimate hobby of mine. And gaymen is still flawless, as the single core meme is slowly becoming less and less relevant as games are using more and more cores. Plenty AAAs today will use at least 6 to 8 cores if available. Not to mention the streaming/multitasking performance benefits.

>tfw this is my only GPU available in the house
I hope so, I want a 1050ti or 1060, but the prices are stupid.

Yes. AMD gpus are starting to show up at doable prices, which is great for anyone who wants a gaming monitor and doesn't want to pay a 100-200 dollar markup for a gsync module.

Woah that's not the pic I wanted.

Attached: 71ignK55KVL._SL1200_.jpg (1200x1200, 190K)

Yeah listen to this guy. You can get one of those 2200g things. They're like $100 dollars and you can always upgrade to something better without having to worry about the mobo being compatible

why would you care about gsync/freesync anyway if you're going over 60 hz monitor?

I was actually looking at a 1060 6 gig today it went from 496 Dollar to 417 (converted currency to dolla but it's 15% in my currency)

Way faster response time. Vsync is slow AF.
They are actually only 90 now. Tha'ts dirt cheap.

yeah, i could buy a ryzen if i had the money to do so, hell, probably i'd just straight out buy the goddamn card. still, things are not set in stone yet, even if i bought the i3 6100 probably i'm going to ditch it by june to some used ryzen.

why would you enable vsync anyway?

Check out the newegg flash deals, I swear there's a sapphire RX580 for like 400 USD, which slightly outperforms the 1060 in gaymen, and is notably better for GD.

screen tears kill any aesthetic benefits of a high-end gaming system. You might as well be playing at ultra-low on a netbook.

Yeah I just did but with those shipping prices it's pretty much the same as I could get one here

Are you in diggerydooda land?

I asume you meant Straya but no I'm in Hungary